Masters Running

Been injured (Read 296 times)

TomD

I have had different things happen to me these pass few months. CoolRunning has really changed, so I looked around. I see several handles that I remember from Boomers and Beyond at this forum. There was computer issues early in the year. Most recentily I injured myself trying to catch one of the last buses to take you to the start of the Olathe Marathon on March 29th. I have still not run at all since then. I have been able to walk for about 2 weeks and I am hoping to get the okay to run again tomorrow. I also hope to run the Lincoln Marathon on Sunday. I had to cancel 3 marathons and a 40-miler so far. I can miss the next two marathons, which I have done many times Lincoln and TIMTAM 50k, but I have the Delaware Marathon on May 18th and NipMuck Trail Marathon, which I have not run before. Hopefully, this site works for me and I am able to blend in. I sure have missed the old Boomers and Beyond group. TomD
      Hey Tom, Glad to hear from you. Tell us more about your injury--sounds awful. Hope otherwise you and Donna are doing well. Good luck in Lincoln--that's a regular one for you, right? grins, A
      Masters 2000 miles
      wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, welcome back, Tom! I remember you from CoolRunning - there are a lot of us here. This is a warm, welcome bunch, as you'll find out if you stick around. 100% good-hearted folks.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Welcome back TomD. I am glad you found us. Sorry to hear about your injury. Please feel at home here.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Head Procrastinator

Good to see you Tom. I saw a post you made about being a race director on CR and asked if anyone knew how to get in touch and point you here or to kickrunners where some people moved (and crosspost) Hope your troubles and injuries are behind you now. Barb
            ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
              Welcome home TomD. I am glad you found us. You will recognize a lot of the regulars that you remember from the old days. Sorry to hear about the injury. I trust you are soon back in the running comfortably mold. Post often here.
              Vista
              TomD

My injury was a very unusual experience. As I was running to catch the bus I loss my balance coming up to the curb and fell into a concrete ledge that goes around the court house in Olathe. At first I thought it was just a couple of cuts and I could just shake it off and run the marathon. I had a cut above the left foot, that turned out not to bother me much. Then the other was on the lower calf area on my right leg, which is still keeping me from running, but not much pain anymore. At the Olathe Marathon's start my right leg wound swelled up a great deal. I got hold of the medical people and got myself taken back to my car after some first aid. Luckily, it was only a 10 minute drive home normally, but I had to drive pretty slow, because of the pain from putting pressure on the gas pedal. Donna took me to the hospital. By 10:00am I am back home hoping to be running again next week. Well, it has been a month and I am still not running. I can do all the normal stuff, but running is out. I have what the doctor called a knot under my wound that needs to go completely down before running again. It is not much of a knot now, but it is still there. He did not want to drain take the blood out, because of possible infection. The swelling of my leg has been gone for 2 weeks now, but this small collection of blood under my wound is keeping me from running. I am told there is nothing I can do but wait and not run on it. The doctor me if I was not a runner the problem would of been none with a couple of weeks ago. Being a runner the muscle that controls your foot to go up and down is much bigger, pumping more blood, and causing more of a problem. Donna has started to doing some walking and light running again. She is not a bad weather runner, so she is getting back into shape again. TomD
                evanflein

Hi TomD! Glad you found the site. You are one of the amazing multiple-marathon people I used to love hearing from on CR... Hope you're up and at 'em again soon. That's a strange injury to be dealing with...
                    Hi Tom - what a stinky way to get hurt!! hope that knot is gone soon and you're back to running - looking forward to your marathon adventures!!

denise

Hey, we're mostly all here, Tom. It's nice to see that you are now out of the "whatever happened to?" category, but not so nice to hear that it's partly because of an injury. Good luck on getting recovered soon and back into the running routine!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tom Welcome back. We missed you. Sorry about the injuries and the missed marathons but there will be more. Hopefully you will get the all clear to run this coming week. This forum is great..many of the coolrunning folks, some great new ones... Welcome Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

seemomgo

Hi Tom - welcome back. Sorry to hear of your injury. Sounds like a painful experience. There are lots of the CR people here - many are over at Kickrunners, some keep up with both sites. Post when you can - even if you aren't running. Let us know how you are doing. HI to Donna too!!!
                            Tom, it's really great to hear from you. I've wondered about you a lot since CR fell apart. I'm really sorry to hear about your injury and hope you are able to get back to normal fairly soon. It's neat that Donna is doing some walking and running. Post often so we don't lose track of you again. TomS

The Jogger

Tom, sorry to hear you're injured but great to see you post again. Roy

King of PhotoShop

Tom, good to hear from you. I know you race often, and now is a good time to say, "first things first." Focus on getting well now, so you can continue to run, whatever you have to do. Good luck. Spareribs