Masters Running

#5 in MA, 5.20.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I just have time for a quickie this morning.

I hope Mike has one more good race in him for this morning. Then he can finally get some much-needed and well-deserved rest. Thanks for the Mike shot yesterday, Stumpy.

I hope everyone has a great time at the CellCom meet-up this weekend, and takes (and posts) lots of photos!

I don't think I'm familiar with that "couch to 50K" plan, WC, but you made me laugh with that yesterday.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, song and walking penguin cake. I'm right in the middle of an age group, so nothing special for another couple a' years.

I got out for 7.2 RW miles in 48F temps this morning, which was quite nice. I started out easy, and went a little faster with each passing mile, so I was huffing and puffing a bit by the time I got back to our driveway. Fun stuff! It was only when I got to the top of a small hill that I saw the big yellow moon waving good-bye as it was about to slide down behind the horizon. I also saw some wild turkeys arguing about something in someone's driveway, and I near got run over by a pack of about 10 early bike riders.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Go Mike, Cellcom racers and all other racers!

and for aamos and stumpy:

Good luck to our CellCom racers! Have fun at your meetup.

coastwalker only you can manage to get up early enough for it to be dark out this time of year.

enkephalin funny, I generally bring my lunch in. But not to be cheap. Although that is a side benefit! For one, I am better at calorie control when I do the prep. For another, what I can put together is often better than what I can get in the local area!

stumpy77 nice picture you got there!

Mike E this marathon a day thing is really crackers! Glad you are having such a good time getting crunched up.  Good luck with your grand finale.

tselbs congratulations on getting back to the 7 mile mark.

AamosY and Jlynne add me to the chorus complaining that the airport waits to crawl through TSA are getting ridiculous. Having to arrive 2 to 3 hours to make a flight is totally out of hand. Add to that what seem like ever changing rules and driving even across the country is starting to look like a viable option.

evanflein heck a 7:45 pace looks like speed and a lot of work to me!

wildchild hmm, not sure a 20 mile run is ever easy! Especially, if like you the run includes marching up and down a few mountains.

On Wednesday night I returned from a conference I have been attending. Connecticut department of highway whatever greeted me with 2 lane closures for roadwork and a 30 minute crawl through a 2 mile stretch of I-95. Travel is just so much fun!  Yesterday, I made it out for 6 miles. Weather was pretty good. Today the weather is spectacular! Sunny and supposed to hit 70! Alas, I am in Manhattan for the day and unlikely to get a chance to run. Tomorrow, when I have lots of time to run, naturally the weather is supposed to turn to rain. I tell you nature is out to get me! Hey, even paranoid people can have enemies you know! To make up for all the carping here are a couple of pictures from my run along the Lower Dom Trail in Toronto from Tuesday during my conference trip.

The trail was not that easy to reach from my hotel. Kind of took a lot of help from Google Maps to navigate to, but worth the effort. Based on my limited experience with the city this trail seems like the nicest place to run in the area.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

TSA PreCheck.  at this point I think it's probably worth it even if you travel only a couple of times a year.  $85 for five years and you get expidited screening without having to take off shoes or coats or take out computers.  Of course, maybe I shouldn't try to sell it to keep THOSE lines as short as possible.

3.1 miles this morning.  Starting right about the same time as Mike.  Hope he survives the last.  I can't string together 5 runs of any distance.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I'm done!  I'm done! I'm done!  Karin wasn't able to make it so she sent reinforcements to help me through today.  It was so nice to have V along for 8 miles and then staying and cheering until I finished...she cannot know how much I appreciate her help.  Thanks for sending her Karin!

Don't ask me how I did it...well, I guess, I just told you...V...but I managed to run the last, faster than all the rest.  3:20:25.  There were some new guys that showed up, so I was only able to get 6th place, but I just didn't care.

Anyway--I want to thank you all, again, for all of your support!  I really do appreciate it.

And, now that my party is over, let's start cheering on the Green Bay folks!  I have actually had thoughts of driving out there on Sunday morning...but I think I would be looking for a new wife.  Besides, I'm sure the lawn needs to be mowed.

Okay--gotta go find a greasy hamburger!  See ya!

TammyinGP

wow. I'm simply blown away Mike. 5 marathons. and would this be called negative split marathons? Is there even such a thing?

supposed to be a nice cool weekend here. Looking forward to it. My husband isn't - he loves the hot weather, but we will have plenty of that this summer, so me and my garden are savoring this cool weather. Will also make for comfortable running this weekend.

My parents moved into their new, and much smaller house yesterday. I stopped by and saw the inside for the first time yesterday. It's about half the square footage (went from 2600 to about 1350 sq ft). They had to do some serious downsizing! I like that they are so much closer now (10 min drive) and it's not out of my way when I drive into town each day so I'll see them so much more.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'm anxious to hear about the Cellcom weekend and see photos!

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five Marathon Mike / Five Mile Me
                I was going to run the five mile ‘mute this morning in honor of Mike’s five mary’s but it’s the annual Bicycle Day so five cyclemutes with an add-on to swing by the aid stop in front of Starbucks’ headquarters and its abundance of goodies, e.g. carabiners, mini-med kits, water bottles, etc.  Coffee sure smells good though and one of the few times I regret not drinking it . . . but it’s okay as I probably would have taken one or more of all the sugary donuts too instead of the healthy orange I bravely selected.

I’ll do the five on the feet for MikeE on the way back tonight,
                unless you get sucke. . . , I mean get a chance to do anymore
                over the weekend and I’ll add on a couple more miles.
                Thanks for imaging up Mr. Moon for us Jay.
                Too many clouds out here.

TSA
                Well, even though I got to the SeaTac 1.5 hours early last month, after TSA delays caused me to miss the first flight of my life, I signed up for their Global Entry.  I haven’t gotten it yet but it must already be working as I went out three hours early for my last flight out of here, . . . . and there were only three people in line!  I think I wasted $100 though if the main benefit is not taking off shoes, coats or pulling out computer as they seem to blue-mark most old folks’ boarding passes anyway.  oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Wow Mike, just wow.  3:20.

I ran 3 miles this morning.  Really slowly.  Looking forward to the weekend.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

an amazing likeness

I think a recap of Mike's week is:

Mon...Maine...Pine Tree Marathon = 3:26:46

Tue...New Hampshire...Granite State Marathon = 3:27:14

Wed...Rhode Island...Red Island Marathon = 3:22:05

Thur...Connecticut...Nutmeg State Marathon = 3:22:16

Fri...Massachusetts...Old Colony Marathon = 3:20:25

Holy Carp!  That is just...unfathomable. Amazing. To me this is one of the most impressive performances laid down here on RunningAhead in my memory --- top 5 for certain.

MTA:  some stats on this feat:

131 race miles

16hr 36min 21sec

7:37 min/mi average pace

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Dave59

Mon...Pine Tree Marathon 3:26:46

Tue...Granite State Marathon 3:27:14

Wed...Red Island Marathon 3:22:05

Thur...Nutmeg State Marathon 3:22:16

Fri...Old Colony Marathon 3:20:25

Holy Carp!  That is just...unfathomable. To me this is one of the most impressive performances laid down here on RunningAhead in my memory --- top 5 for certain.

To refresh my memory, these were in 5 different states, right?

I shuffled through 3 miles this morning.  Going to participate in a 5k tomorrow for something different to do.  Not much else going on here.

Sayhey! MM#130

Checking in from Atlanta.  Love love love that photo!  Thanks so much!!  My brother, who was accomplished at sketching, would have adored it.  I'd beg him to draw a baseball scene for me and that's the kind of thing he'd do.  He did one of Al Kaline at the plate,  I was so excited, then instead of an ump, he put a Detroit Lion behind the catcher.  As my family taught  reminded

me: "Amy, you like to be teased!"

And now I'm speechless at Mike.  That's 131 miles in 5 days πŸ™ŒπŸΌπŸ†πŸ˜³.   There should be a trophy for that, for his overall performance.  Well under 18 hours.

Ok, hope to be in touch soon with updates on Green Bay.  And the cheese worthiness of it all.

grins

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

....he's getting FASTER..............Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Holy Carp!  That is just...unfathomable. Amazing. To me this is one of the most impressive performances laid down here on RunningAhead in my memory --- top 5 for certain.

I agree!  I have been bragging about Mike's exploits to everyone I know, and the finale just makes it even more incredible feat.

Marj -

Okay, I made it to Green Bay!  Erika, Peter, Amy and I are all here!  Let the party commence!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

131 race miles

16hr 36min 21sec

I knew you could do it, Mike! What an astounding feat of fortitude and determination, not to mention speed! I think I will send this to the Star Tribune, it is definitely newsworthy. See you in Green Bay 

Speaking of GB, we just got here and my Garminconnect Vivofit says I have 5170 steps in, I think not though. Time for a quick nap after the 8 hour trip.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mon...Maine...Pine Tree Marathon = 3:26:46  3rd OA

Tue...New Hampshire...Granite State Marathon = 3:27:14  8th OA

Wed...Rhode Island...Red Island Marathon = 3:22:05  1st OA

Thur...Connecticut...Nutmeg State Marathon = 3:22:16  2nd OA

Fri...Massachusetts...Old Colony Marathon = 3:20:25  6th OA

131 race miles

16hr 36min 21sec

And in case Mike (and others) aren't tired of our bragging, I added the placing for each.  Average finish of 4th, BTW.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.