Masters Running

Saturday Oct. 17 Runs and Workouts (Read 277 times)

Well, that was stupid. 

The plan called for a short 2 miles easy with 5 x 10 second striders, as a warmup to tomorrow race.  And I also wanted to see about what I'd wear given the Brrrrrrrrr weather up here.

I ended up running 2 miles at 8:41 pace.  Partly because it felt easy and (mostly) cause it was cold out there.  But I was overdressed if anything so that's good.

Why do all these people run in shorts and wear OSU stuff.  Weird.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yea Bill, that OSU stuff is simply not right!!!  

It is hard to belive that 7 a.m. is still pre-dawn!   Out for a nice chilly (35°) 5 miler at 10:15 pace.    It was nice to see the sun rise as I headed East down our road back home again.    Enjoy the day, no matter what you do!

Happy Saturday.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

2.25 miles with a few striders (ave pace 9:34) in 38 degrees.  I'm still wavering on what to wear tomorrow, so I'm just throwing a bunch of stuff into the bag and I'll decide tonight.

I had one of those frenzied marathon dreams last night, where Runningsmarter and I were waiting for a ride to Columbus on race day, only to realize that it was 10:30am and we had already missed the race!   In my dream, I then hopped on my bike (a kids bike) to ride home and look up another marathon for next weekend. 

Bill - I look forward to seeing you at dinner!

Good luck to all the racers and Happy Saturday to the rest!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

'morning bilger!  waving to you & deb across town.  i'm staying in dublin, away from the madding crowds. 

'morning Mary!

'morning everybody else. 

i'm sitting here (duh) eating too much breakfast, bread w/peanut butter & oatmeal & coffee & some fruit i picked up on the way out of town yesterday.  better stop eating these berries.       i also did the 2 mile run, much slower than bill.  also to test clothing... was too cold for part of it , into the wind, & too warm for the rest.   my foot pod is dead so i'll pick up batteries at a place close to the hotel, go by my aunt's house to give her maps & a chunk of pretzel to feed me at mile 20 or so. ;-),    then to my dad's, where i'll meet holly.   then the expo, & so on.

even though this is my home town I haven't been here much in years & just don't know my way around anymore, so i'm busy with maps.  

ok, best get showered & all.   wish i had time for a nap. -)

happy saturday!   (I think part of me is in denial.  is that weird?)

mta 'morning Holly!

Slo

Good Morning

The weather has been perfect for running here in Eastern Iowa.  {sigh}

I was able to get up to the conference finals for the HS Boys and Girls Cross Country meet last night.

I work with two Dads, One has a Freshman DD running Varsity and the other has a Senior DD. Outside of each other, these two have had no competition besides each other and last night was no different. They traded positions 3 times and it came down to the smarter, more experienced runner winning in swampy, muddy conditions. But they both laid thier heart on the line !

3rd place was a full 55 secs behind them........

Very inspiring to watch these young atheletes put everything on the line. To witness the grit on thier face as they come up the final hill.......fist clenched, neck muscles tight.....the finish shoot just coming into sight......the spectators cheering......shouting encouragement.......hearing the Coaches, seeing the puffs of thier breath hanging in the air as they bark  "Kick....Kick now ! "  Arms flailing as they wave thier runners in.

Thru the finish chute, some near collapse, others with thier hands on thier head, fingers interlocked catching thier breath. The girls get so emotional....some are tears of joy, some are anguish and some are....well I guess just because others are crying. The boys show less emotion although some mutter under thier breath while another is taking high fives. And the parents.....they are no different. When on young man came across, battling it out for a place that didn't matter for nothing other than team points......watching his Dad sweeping his arm around grabbing him by the back of his neck and pulling him forward so they were standing forehead to forehead.....the boy, still trying to catch his breath......and Dad saying....."thats the way to finish, leave no doubt. You guys are going to State."

It's hard to take it all in.......especially in a sport like Cross Country and maybe a little more so for the Master aged  competitior......who knows and does battle with  those dark thoughts that can steal away your best effort.

Lots of 2 milers this morning!

2.0 miles, 17:40, 8:45/mi, AHR 134 (69% MHR)

A little windy, but surprisingly not too bad even at 37°.  I wore shorts, long sleeves, no gloves and I was fine.  I was surprised the temps were so low as the forecast was for 5° warmer, so maybe tomorrow will be colder than predicted.  

Tomorrow it will be rainy and windier (28mph w/ gusts to 41mph predicted, with temps 45-50 for the race).  Whatever.  As PDR said, you just gotta laugh.  I'll probably wear tights and long sleeves, not sure if I want an additional short sleeve shirt or not.  I will wear gloves and ear warmer and take them off if it gets too hot.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Enjoyed your commentary Slo

Good luck racers tomorrow.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Mariposai

go weekend racers!!!!!!!!!

Have fun at the carbo party tonight.

Yesterday I got a call from a runner who is preparing to run here first HM. She asked me to run with her today. She was scheduled to run her first ever 8 miler and she was very nervous about it. I, of course, welcomed the company.

After running a steady 8 miles with her we returned to our cars and I  took a gu and then turn around for another 7 miles. 15 miles total today with the last 4 at MP. I got it done, but it was not easy. Just think I am going to ask my wings to do that pace for 26 miles.

On with the day.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Headed down to Huntsville to do my third annual Liz Hurley Ribbon 5K race.  It was so chilly that I couldn't show

off my new PINK PINK PINK shirt as I had to cover it w/ a vest and wear my pink and black shorts over my tights. 

Anyway, I started too far back  as I was trying to abide by the pacer signs and had to weave my way up for the first 1/2 mile, which made for slow going.

I still 

managed to finish 30 sec. faster than last year, 29:30.  

Here's the disappointing part:  I am pretty sure I won my AG, and there were over 2400 women runners (they divided up the genders and had 2 separate races).  However, for some unknown reason, many runners did not get their AGE listed and thus were not counted.  I did come in 255 out of 2400.  But  in my AG, the 1st - 3rd winners all had times way slower than mine.  

No big deal. It was for a good cause.

Happy rest of the weekend y'all!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Lou.. do you were a cap in the rain?  Good luck to you and PDR. No time pressure.

Good luck Holly and Byll. Should be a good one!

And ESPECIALLY dg!!  You'll do great!

And Sarge is running up there in Maine?

Great weekend for us armchair marathoners!

I ran 5 slow miles with a stiff but not painful leg this morning then went to a sports injury clinic by Duke and within an hour my knee was flexible and ready for a long test run tomorrow.  I won't go into details.  Just think of tapping a keg.

Dr said I should be good to go for a marathon in 2 weeks...... and 4 weeks...

Fingers crossed.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

GL to the weekend racers, will be so fun to hear the reports!

Easy there Steve... 

Not sure if I'll run today or not. Probably will, but getting a really late start and finding I don't really care one way or the other. That's the nice thing about this "down time" I'm giving myself. While I'm still running and doing things, it's nice to have all pressure off for awhile.

TammyinGP

Is this "2 mile Saturday" ? Because that's what I did today also, although I don't have an excuse for such a short run like others who are just shaking it out before the big race tomorrow.  . . . no, mine was just plain tired 2 miles.  I planned on running an hour - probably slow, but still running an hour. After a couple miles and then a 1 mile walk, I just didn't have it in me. My legs were not sore at all, which surprised me for how hard I worked them the last couple days, but just plain tired. So, I threw in the towel and did my grocery shopping and headed home.

Tammy

Nice post SLO_HAND

My father came to every race I ran in high school and college even if it meant driving to out of the way places and only see glimpses---as the race started and as we emerged from the woods--driving rain, snow, whatever....I am forever grateful. There he stood in his tweed professor's hat and desert boots with his booming deep voice----GO KAHR--INN---"What were you doing in the woods anyway?---stopping for hot dogs? Pick it up! Kick to the chute. Kick!"

Tammy---listening to your body is always good and you likely needed the rest. Good on you

Way to go fussyrunner! Great cause too and we know you won your age group and then some.

Nice long miles Maraposai---see you in two weeks! I am so excited.

7 miles at a steady 8:00 pace. Feeling great. 18 miles tomorrow rain or snow or shine with a 5k race at the end to make it a fast finish workout.

Good 2 milers here for all the marathoners. Hope you are all off your feet now or soon and settling in for the task ahead tomorrow--- 20 miles with your heads and 6.2 miles  with your hearts. Quick feet now!

wildchild

Carolyn

Tammy, I had a slow sluggish run today, too.  Must be time for a rest.  I ran/walked 4miles with Tazzie and Ladybug, untimed, enjoying the lovely afternoon sunshine.

Karin, it's wonderful to hear how much it meant to you that your dad came to all your races.  I think even when our kids try to pretend they don't know us when they're around their friends, they're actually glad we care enough to be there for them.  Or maybe they just take us for granted now, but they might appreciate it later.

Slo, very moving story about the XC races. 

Fleet feet and good weather wishes to everyone, especially our racers!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Maniac 505

great report slo.

I didn't run today just because.

torrential rains I think sounder planned a twenty miler in the middle of it?  airport flooded,  roads flooded.  nothing news worthy, just lots of rain for a day.

I could have avoided it and gone for a run in the afternoon,  but I didn't.  maybe tomorrow.

On a totally different note,  I just finished reading "born to run"  I will post a thread in a few minutes.  anyone read it?