Masters Running

TGIF 6/5 Master Runs, Rests and Recovery (Read 579 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!    Been a while since I've had the honor to start the daily thread.

Total rest day for me.     This afternoon we head out for our first camping trip of the season.   We were lucky enough to get into a very popular State park.   (Ludington - TSelbs)  It will be so nice just to get away from it all for a couple of nights.

TGIF

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Hi Mary - have fun camping!   We're going to the Catskills next month.

I've been fighting a knee injury, so I haven't been hanging around here much.

After a week off, I tried 3 miles today.  It was sort of OK, but I won't push it by trying to run again tomorrow.  I've got massive gardening planned this weekend to try and catch up after our vacation. That should at least burn some calories.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Renee the dog

3 mi base run today -- very rainy.  I tried to keep my feet evenly wet.  Was mostly successful.

Good runs to all today!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

very popular State park.   (Ludington - TSelbs)

the white sand dunes are beautiful on the shores of Lake Michigan but it was before my running days and I`ve always wondered if it would be possible to run up `em.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

My DS turns 21 years old today.  I suspect he is sleeping it off this morning, so I'll call him this afternoon.  Dear ole Dad is feeling old but very proud.

I need to kick up the running again soon.  I'm starting to get all kinds of aches and pains - especially in the lower back.  Happens most every time I ease off for a few weeks.

Slo-Hand, the Guitar is going well.  The rust is mostly gone and I'm learning stuff I never got to when I quit taking lessons as a kid at 12 or so.  I guess I never worked on 7th's back then because I've had to work on those.

I bought a second guitar (a Taylor) because it was making me really nervous taking the Martin to Church.  There was so much going on that anything was possible, from nicks and scratches to theft.  But I'll probably worry about the Taylor just as much.  Oh well.  I got such a steal of a deal I couldn't pass it up ...

Tet, run the Sand Dunes???  I can barely walk them ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Happy TGIF, gang!

Mary - happy camping!!

PDR - have fun in the garden.  Hope the knee injury resolves!

nono - squishy shoes??

Bill - congrats to DS - you should be proud.

Another 6.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.  The rain should be gone tomorrow so I can do a long run on the trail  - at least I hope so.

Best of luck to our weekend racers!  Goods runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

biketm true many of us here, myself included, are rather focused on our times.  PR's are always nice too!  Still try not let your training or race times get to you.  Ultimately none of our times here matter.  Nobody, other than ourselves cares.  If any of us stopped running our family and friends would still be our family and friends.   I know there are some that view me as being rather stoic about my time on the DL.  But, it is partly because running is not my life it is part of it.  Now, if other parts of my life were going this badly . . . well that would get me really bummed out! 

Today was my first gym day.  10 minutes on the elliptical and then 5 minutes of walking backwards on the TM per my physical therapist's instructions.  People at the gym are going to think I am crazy!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo

Why....Why....Why.....??????

Does the weather have to be so friggin nice during the week only to have rain forecasted for the entire weekend ?

Oh well......I got a good hard Bike ride in last night and a pretty decent swim in this morning. Should be able to sneak a run in tonight.

In the words of the the Great Alice Cooper......."SCHOOOOLS OUT for SUMMER". Kinda nice not having to roll anyone out of bed this morning.

Bill....One can never have too many Guitars......Don't worry about your Martin or your Taylor. Ever see Willie Nelsons Guitar ?  One of the best remarks I ever heard was when Willie was asked why he keeps playing that beat up old guitar with a hole in it.......His reply......" 'Cause I can't find anything else that sounds like it."

Make it a great day !

Slo

Hey Tim !

I was just catching up on yesterdays thread........Are you calling me out ?.........I think your calling me out.

There are a couple of late season Tri's in Indiana.....An Oly in Layfette that looks real interesting and then a couple of sprints in Peru and Unionville........I'm game! Seriously.....I'd make the trip....and it would be...you know....just for fun.  Loser buys the beer of course !

Mariposai

Hi predawn, glad you pop in here. I was pondering why you were silent lately....glad to see ya sistahh.  I am sorry about the knee problem. I hope it gets better soon.

When I grow up I wanna be like Holly and her knowledge of the amount of calories found in the food she eats. Wow...I will need to pick your brain on that in Seattle. You never stop to amaze me girlfriend.  I tend to just stick to whole foods and lots of fruits and veggies and that is it. Of course I never thought to count the calories in my red wine as part of the total calories intake Sad.

Enjoy your trail ultral. What is your plan of attach?

I will run after work today to enjoy the heat. Yes, I love the heat but I also luvveee the snow for skiing purposes.

Go racers gooo!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Tammy – nice progression run last night, especially after your 10-miler the night before.  BTW, on your info, I was able to purchase and try some of that Cytomax for my last 20-miler.  My opinion – yuck.  Too sweet, kind of icky.  I may stick with water, gels, and s-caps for Seattle and forego the Cytomax.

2.5 miles for me this morning in my new Balga socks, as per Ultraposai’s recommendation, with 3 x 100m striders and a 3-minute semi-sprint @ 7:26 pace. 

Slight craziness this morning as DH called from work to say he has to work tomorrow (restated as “has the wonderful opportunity to work some overtime tomorrow and keep his lovely wife in running shoes”).       So I had to scramble to find someone on DS’s soccer team willing to get him to his 8am and 1pm game, and a babysitter for DD all day so I can go to my race.  Weather.com says it will be clear and 60° at the start and 79-80° at the finish, but with fairly low humidity, so maybe not too uncomfortable.  I’m excited and nervous, just like I’m supposed to be.

ETA – Mariposai – my #1 goal is not to get injured, so I will mostly be concentrating on not tripping over rocks and roots.  #2 goal is to enjoy myself, meet and get to know some nice folks, soak in the ultra experience.  As for pace, having never done one of these (50k or trail run) or even been to this park, I’m totally going to play it by ear.  The female course record is 5:18, so where does that put a mid-grade novice like me?  I’m thinking maybe 6 ½ hours, maybe 7.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Why....Why....Why.....??????

Does the weather have to be so friggin nice during the week only to have rain forecasted for the entire weekend ?

Come visit. We've been havng 4-5 days of rain only to have decent weekends.  I think this is week 5!  Wearing fall clothes during the week and summer clothes for 2 days is p*ssing me off at this point. (sorry for the language, but I really am to that point now!  I've had it!)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

We're going to the Catskills next month.

PDR, whereabouts? I'm not unthinkably far from that region and there are a lot of fun races in the area.

Run later....Walt.

TammyinGP

Holly, yes Cytomax is too sweet for me too IF I mix it per the recommendations. I don't though. I probably should have mentioned that. I just buy those individual serving packets, rather than the big containers of it. And I only use 1/2 to 2/3 of the bag in my Amphipod bottle. I'm not sure how many ounces that bottle holds - probably 12-15 oz I'm guessing? so I don't mix it as strong because I don't like that overly sweet taste either. That's one of the reasons I like those Motortabs also - they are not very sweet to me.

I have a REAL hard time taking in too many Gu's. The first couple are okay, but after that, I just really have issues with slurping more of that thick sweet syrupy Gu. Lately I've been training with Gel Blasts, with caffeine, and have been running well on those combined with Cytomax. and maybe a few Sharkies thrown in too. I think on my 20 mile run tomorrow, I'll take a Gu after my first 7 miles, then stick with Gel Blasts, Cytomax and Sharkies on my last 13 and see how I'm feeling.

Rest day for me today. And eating. I've unintentionally lost a couple pounds this week and am worried about bonking on my 20 mile tomorrow if I don't eat enough cals today. But yet, I don't want to overdo it either and feel weighted down and sluggish.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

I expect you to win it Holly.  I know you will go out carefully, but you will be strong over the final miles.  I am sure you will have a very good race.

Bill, my son Prime Rib hits 21 on Sunday, right after your son.  Great time of life for these kids.

3.3 slow.  My knees were a bit cranky yesterday from Sunday's race on concrete and the hard run on Wednesday, so I took it very easy today on the dirt path.  Flex and core workout at the Y later.

Twocat, great point.  

Now I have one final story for you Masters runners.  You know how often we here lament getting older, getting slower, getting weaker, not always, but it creeps in here sometimes.  Someone will say, "getting old sucks" or some such thing.  I do it too,  but at 62 I would rather believe that I have a whole exciting life ahead of me rather than worrying about aging.

So last night Prime Rib had me watch this wonderful movie he got from Netflix, Young@Heart and the Saint and I just loved it.  It was so inspiring.  And you contemporary music lovers will go crazy for it, to see these 80-year old performers singing Coldplay and the Ramones, etc.  Here is the trailer.  I encourage you to order this movie.  It is sensational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UNEqfYwb6c

Spareribs