Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 11.20.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday's workouts/races:

Jlynne (2miles in 24° with 15-20 mph winds + 15 min of core)

Henrun (2 mizzle/drizzle miles in high 50s temps)

Bioguy (6.5 miles with gusty winds)

Metalmancpa (6.4 miles @ 8:41 pace)

Quickadder (9 EZ, sunny morning trail miles with DD in 47° temps)

Holly (5.5 recovery miles in 38° with wind + 30 min of weights & core)

Tomwhite (60 min [6X10], mostly outside with temps in 30s & 40s)

RunnerKSA (Flying Monkey Marathon in 5:03 - 2nd fastest of 4 Monkeys)

Wildchild (17 mile trail fun run with mid-50s temps)

Surly Bill (5.5 miles)

Twocat (20 post-party miles in gale-force winds)

Catwhoorg (12 miles, including 20 min at tempo pace)

Fatozzig (30 min morning run with some speed and pup-wrangling)

Evanflein (13 late-day miles in 3-9° temps under overcast skies, with eyelash-deicing breaks)

Mariposai (4 miles with the Easy Pacer)

Lots of good runs yesterday, with lots of wind around as well. Interesting perspectives on Thomas Jefferson as well.

Jlynne, most all of my recipes these days come from NY Time Cooking online. You have to pay a subscription for it now, but I like it a lot (so does DW, especially when I cook), so it's worth it. Here are this past weekend's recipes (in no particular order):

- https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018971-crisp-smashed-potatoes-with-fried-onions-and-parsley?utm_source=sharetools&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website

- https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018961-firehouse-chili-gumbo?utm_source=sharetools&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website

- https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015290-garlicky-chicken-with-lemon-anchovy-sauce?utm_source=sharetools&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website

- https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014419-chocolate-whiskey-cake?utm_source=sharetools&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website

You can use any liquor for the chocolate whiskey cake, and my niece chose Bailey's Irish Cream, so that is what we used this time.

Welcome bioguy/Joe! Stay around and join the fun while waiting for your goal race to come along. Why'd you pick an inaugural race as your goal race?

Congrats to you and your wing on the Raincross Trophy win, Falconfixer! Sounds like it was great teamwork.

Congrats on a good Monkey, KSA - well done! I wonder how far off course the lead runner was before he quit. That's not the way most runners of that caliber want to be remembered...

Just 2 EZ miles this morning because I had no interest in working out, but was still determined to get out there. 30°, clear skies.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Need a bit more accountability, so here I am.

What are you doing reading this?  Shouldn't you be running?!  (Hey, you asked for it.  Wink  Actually, welcome …and welcome to the rest of the RW crew.  I think I’ve missed a couple along the way.  (BTW, MikeE just had a great marathon using Hanson’s.)

Falcon—welcome back, trophies are always nice.

Tom—cool hat or not, it’s nice to hear of your progress.

KSA—congrats on another Monkey.  That was one I’d always intended to do someday.

Opus—I was in a mild depression for a week after touring Monticello. I just couldn’t reconcile the obvious intelligence of the man with his moral failure on slavery.  He famously knew of the deep injustice of slavery yet depended on it to build and maintain Monticello. The man who wrote that slavery was a “moral depravity” and that “All men are created equal” did so with slaves on hand (some of whom were his own children) to serve his every need. To me, that embodies the foundational contradiction of the United States with which we still grapple today. Sigh.

Leslie—For some of my neighbors, I suspect I’m the “touched” guy for running around all the time. 

Nice cooking, there, Jay.

Didn’t do our planned ride yesterday because winds were blowing cold, gusting up to 40 miles an hour. Didn’t seem like a great idea to be cycling in that.

Instead, I worked on milling some lumber for a project.  I needed to plane a few 18’-long rough boards and the only way to do it was to open the windows at the two ends of my small shop, with the planer in the middle.  I stuck the board out one window, ran it through the planer and guided it out the opposite window.  This must have looked very odd from the outside.

After wrestling lumber all day, I was pleased—and a little surprised—that my back was fine this morning.  Ran 4 miles as the sun rose on a chilly, clear day.

Be safe. Be kind.

C-R

Morning Everyone. I missed those great Jay recaps.

Pretty busy with work these days but am managing to finally get a little running back. Completed Monkey marathon yesterday in a 4:09 which was a surprise as I was thinking anything around 4:30 would be good. As always a great crowd, food, brew and super weather today. Great to see KSA and her crew and another monkey award too.

Kiddo and I are running Footlocker XC this weekend. He's hoping for a breakout race and I think he can do it. It's been a good season for him with a All Sectional and Academic All State and his team won state as well. Fun to watch.

Well back at the grind stone.

Good running everyone.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Thanks, all.  Great to visit with Norm.

2.1 miles on tired legs this morning (treadmill).  I took the day off from work to recover.  That just means I'll keep up with stuff from my phone and home computer, but at least I got more sleep and can hang out in sweats.    My son is at his MRI appointment.  He really enjoyed the Monkey festivities and beer tent and vows to run next year.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein that route of yours would drive me crazy. First off how do you even remember where to go? With all the backtracking and mini loops and whatnot I would have been totally lost with trying to keep track of what turn was next.

tetsujin209 you are one really bad advertisement for the Seattle marathon. Reading your posts I am pretty close to 100% certain I am not going to run it.

Ran 6 with my training partner this morning. I had not realized how long it had been since we ran together until she asked about my trip to Australia for the Melbourne Marathon. That meant our last run was early October! DW is spending the night in NYC so I am a bachelor for the next day and a half. Not that it will do me much good. I have a ton of chores to handle. Thank you CT DMV, for telling me I have to get my DW's car emission check done. Thank you IRS, for sending a letter demanding a signature for delivery letter (now at the post office since no one was home when the letter carrier arrived) in regards to my DW's late aunt's estate. So now I get to go pick it up at the post office. Thank you bookkeeper who sent me a bill that has a back due for an bill I have no idea what you are talking about. I am sure we will have a very nice conversation today. Thank you car that is now telling me to get in for service. It will be great to spend time talking to the service department to set up a date. Well, I better get started on the list.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good morning folks. A busy place for a Monday - I like it! Thanks for your recap Jay, and thanks for the recipes. I might try that chocolate whiskey cake in place of apple pie for Thanksgiving (just to break out of the normal rut)

Nice to see Norm pop in. Good luck to your son this week, and congrats to you and RunnerKSA on another Monkey off your back

Hey Tramps! You're upping your mileage there a little. That's great. What is your project that requires 18' boards? You must have some really good woodworking skills.

That's quite a list Twocat - best get at it!

Welcome Bioguy! This is a great forum with some really nice folks.

Hey Tet - I'm looking for some suggestions for a great restaurant in Seattle. I know there are thousands, but maybe you could name a few? Every year we send our kids in Seattle Christmas gifts they never really need (or like).  I thought this year we'd get them a gift card to a really nice restaurant instead.

It was downright balmy here this morning at 30° and not much wind. Just a hair under 6 miles, finishing right before a beautiful sunrise and skies streaked with pink and red hues. It's supposed to get up to 45° this afternoon! I suspect we'll see a lot of folks out biking and running in shorts and no jackets.

The Y is having its annual weigh-in contest this week. You get on a scale the week of Thanksgiving and they record your weight. If you stay at or below that weight after Christmas, your name goes into a drawing for "fabulous door prizes"  I like doing this because it keeps me accountable for the things I shove in my mouth. Well, for the most part anyway

Have a great Monday everyone.

Tramps

Hey Tramps! You're upping your mileage there a little. That's great. What is your project that requires 18' boards? You must have some really good woodworking skills.

Shhh. Don't tell my doc.  My not-so-secret ambition is to work my way up to pain-free 5-milers.

I'm replacing baseboards (long story) and, ideally, I'd like to use a single board for the few long spans I have. Not sure it'll work; we'll see.  It's awkward as hell to work with. And, no, I'm a rank amateur DIYer.

Be safe. Be kind.

Morning well almost afternoon friends!!

3.6 windy miles for me today -- my foot/back of leg was still taped up, but today's shower was the end of it. Going to buy some KT or rock tape and try it myself. Foot still a little wonky, but not awful

Yesterday 1 hour open ride at the computraining studio -- so good to get back in there!! Then did almost an hour of compoyoga -or mobility/yoga for athletes. That was a great class - we did a lot of the mobility work my PT suggests as well.

Great runs and races out there this weekend. My 2 different running groups are both doing a challenge to run at least 1 mile every day between Thanksgiving and New Years. I completed it last year for the first time, but just don't think it's wise this year. I want to do it, but even trying to squeeze in a measly mile on some of my 12 hour work shifts is just crazy. Now if they would consider a walk as passable I could manage, but a run ..... not sure it's a good idea this year!! 

Happy Monday!!

denise

TammyinGP

oh boy - I'm far behind the goings on here again since I didn't have much of a chance over the weekend to pop in. And this week I'm only working today and tomorrow (with about 4 responsive motions I need to draft by mid morning tomorrow for an upcoming murder case), so I really shouldn't be there, but wanted to pop in and say hi - otherwise, I know how it gets easier and easier to not jump in the fray.

Got in a couple nice runs over the weekend - 6.2 on Saturday and an 11 mile trail run with a friend yesterday. Drove about an hour away to meet up over at Lost Creek Lake. I was so glad the rain held off until Sunday evening.  It was still pretty sloppy in parts but runnable. Rest day today - well, work day then it's Seahawks tonight 

Tammy

evanflein

Hey, nice to see Norm stopping in! GL to your son this weekend, hope he has a good race!

Twocat, I know those roads very well so getting lost not a problem. I was checking my Garmin frequently to see how far I'd gone and how far I needed to go, so knew how many laps I needed to add. I'm sure some of the residents in those neighborhoods thought I was either nuts or casing the place!

So, a question to all you chefs out there, and I know there are some good ones here. We had lamb shanks last night. As soon as we opened the package, it seemed they were a little more "fragrant" than usual. But they should have been fine and lamb is frequently a little stinky when you first open it so figured it just needed to air out a bit. Well, we browned them up and cooked them in the instant pot with cannellini beans and carrots, etc. And the end result was smelly lamb shanks. We've done these many times in the past and never had it so smelly. I teased DH that we were having mutton shanks. We did eat them, but have the meat from two in the fridge as leftovers. Frankly, not sure I want to keep it and may just toss it. Any ideas on what can make lamb stinky, or stinkier than usual? Could still smell it in the house this morning. 

Rest day today.

evanflein I am thinking maybe the blood in the package and left on and in the shank became contaminated and started to smell. That can happen pretty fast. The fact that you could still smell it after cooking is rather disturbing.. Lamb shanks are typically braised until long past the point where they are well done and that should have totally wiped out any contamination. Since you can still smell whatever it is I wonder if you should just toss the leftovers away to be safe.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Shhh. Don't tell my doc.  My not-so-secret ambition is to work my way up to pain-free 5-milers.

...just don't Get Crazy......

you know

how you get

===========

40s and 50s today

...........knocked out another 60-min after my first PT

(the PT-ist

was impressed I had been doing 60-single leg squats 3-months before surgery,

they actually have ''Pre-Op'' conditioning now>>>>>>Smart)

.........Good Running to ya..........good to see Tammy checking in......

ps.......''PT-ist'' isn't a word......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Quickadder

Mary Evan had a little lamb

Its smell was ripe as skunk

Everywhere that Mary Evan went

The lamb had surely stunk

Seriously, I'd get rid of any food that fails the 'nose' test.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

ps.......''PT-ist isn't a word......

In here, just about anything is a word.

Denise - I forgot to mention - my chiro is using the cupping method for my butt issue.  It's made a HUGE difference.

Erika's running back and forth and around and about reminds of this commercial.

Lamb Stinkage -  Yet another reason refrain from eating it. (I can't stand it.)

Tramps - I'd love to see a video of your lumber-milling out both windows of your shop. 

Not Finishing Races - A few years ago, there were some less than desirable comments being made in the trail running community about elite male runners not finishing races if they weren't going to hit their goal/win.  That seems to have tapered away once other elites starting "calling them out" about it - not by name, but they knew who they were.  Not finishing a race simply because you aren't going to meet your A objective seems pretty childish to me.  If I did that, I'd never finish a race! 

I shoulda got up this a.m. and did my mini-mileage. It was raining, but not as bad as it's raining now.  *sigh* It'll be a wet run after work.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Thanks, again, for the recap, Jay.  Rather going through all the work, I'll just have the Bailey's with ice.

It looks like you might need a trainer, Tramps...I'll bet Tribee can help you find one.  It's nice to hear you finally got your lumber, too.

Norm--I sure do miss those days of running Footlocker with Ryan.  Enjoy every second because, someday, you'll be missing them, too.  Congratulations on the state championship, too!  wow!

KSA--nice job at the Monkey!  So...you took the day off work to recover...but, then ran 2.1 miles...nice.

Thank you, Twocat, for sharing your chore list.  Did you get any of them done, today?

Good luck with the weigh-in contest, Jlynne.  But, make sure you enjoy some good food, too...you deserve it.

And, yes--Tramps is a very good woodworker!  His house is full of his handiwork and it is very impressive.  Why didn't I get to see that shop, by the way?

Good thinking, deez--you don't need to take a chance of hurting yourself for a challenge.

Nice runs, Tammy!

Sorry--Erika--I can't help with the smelly lamb.  If it were me, I wouldn't have eaten it at all.

tw--I always have to make sure I'm not in the middle of taking a sip of something when I read your posts.  Your "PT-ist isn't a word" comment would have had me spitting something all over my computer.  You are hilarious!

Hey--nice poem, Quick!  I like it.

Have fun in the rain, Leslie--I won't tell Twocat...promise.

I did some stretching and a little bit on the trainer and some weights.  All very light...but it was something.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!