Masters Running

Wed Aug 26 Runs and Workouts (Read 411 times)

I'm so woefully behind here, and I don't have any pukey stories.

I had a nice 11 miler this morning, hitting my progression targets easily.  I don't know if this had any impact, but I went back to my old BP medicine yesterday.  There has been enough experimentation until at least after the marathons in October.  I'm not saying that is it -- it may be psychological -- but whatever it takes...

66°, 93% humidity

11.1 miles, 1:35:38, 8:37/mi, AHR 150 (77% MHR)

5@9:01(141), 1@8:52(146), 5.09@8:11(158)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Nicely done Lou.  The new/old BP Meds did the trick!

A nice easy 4 miles at recovery pace.  Average HR 125.  78° and 90%.  Tomorrow we have some 2 mile repeats at MP.  It'll be interesting to see how those feel.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice runs this morning Lou and Bill.

Unexpected rest day due to heavy rain this morning.   After work I have to take my mom to the license bureau for her drivers license renewal.   She'll be 93 next month ..... but she is a safe/smart driver and knows her limits - but I know the day is just around the corner when this too will have to come to an end.   It is kind of cute because she is nervous about failing her written test.

Jlynne - here is the recipe you requested:

Lemon Chicken

1 Cup Oil

1/2 Cup Lemon Juice

1 T. Salt

1 tsp. Paprika

2 tsp. Onion Powder

2 tsp. Basil

1/2 tsp. Thyme

1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder

Mix ingredients together and pour over chicken in a large ziplock bag and refrigerate overnight.   Turning in the morning to be sure all the chicken is marinated.   Cook on the grill until done.   

Warning:  Due to the oil you will have flames while cooking.

I usually double the recipe as I always have two gallon size bags of chicken - leftovers are good too!!

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mary--our family loves lemon pepper chicken--do you see any problem with adding some cracked pepper to this?   It looks pretty good by itself, though.

I forgot yesterday's run.  1st one with the starting temps below 70 in a while.  Of course, since it was rather foggy, I guess that means 100% humidity?  Another good sweaty run--about 2lbs in the 3 miles again.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Renee the dog

Rest day.

Just wanted to say, dg, wow on the Free's mileage!  I get 300 miles max out of a pair of Frees (the old ones).  I have one more pair stockpiled in my closet.  I've been doing a lot of experimentation with shoes (check my log), and I think I have 6 pair in rotation (1 being the Frees) along with my bare feet.  I have to tell you, I like all of my current shoes and my feet too!    So don't despair -- you may find others out there that you like as well!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good morning all you early risers. Glad your BP meds are working fine, Lou. Nice workout this morning.

Breger, let me just say one more time: how do you run in those high temps and humidity? You must sweat off 10 pounds every time you run. It's amazing...

The rain you have today moved through here yesterday, Mary.  Some times rest days aren't a bad thing. Wow - your mom is still driving at age 93? Does she have to take a road test or just the written part? I know it was really hard for my mother (and us) when she finally decided she shouldn't drive any more. Thanks for the recipe - I'm anxious to try it.

Cross training for me this morning. 6 miles on the eliptical with some free weights and machines for upper body.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

Tramps

Nice running, Lou.

Mary--now I'm hungry again.   Yum.

Speaking of shoes...it was new shoes day here.  I'm trying out some Asics Gel 3000's to replace my old standby, the Asics Gel 1100 series, which I've worn for years.  $20 more (ouch) but will hopefully address some callous issues that have developed.  So far so good.  I got great service from my local running store when I was fitted for these.  They were training a new salesperson so they had two of the senior folks there evaluating my gait and explaining to her (and me) what they looked for, what they saw that was significant, why they were recommending this particular shoe, etc, etc.  It was a whole other level of analysis and explanation than I usually get.  Cool.

On the down side today, my Ipod shuffe: R.I.P.    I'll contact Apple to see if I can get a refurbished 2nd generation to replace it; I have no interest in those new god-awful shuffles.  Otherwise a Sansa could be in my future.

7.6 easy miles @ 9:01. 

The usual mid-90s today, but the 10-day forecast has several days where the high is supposed to be 78-80!  Woo hoo! 

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning!

Nice progression run Lou!

Beautiful day out!

A week of gut wrenching decisions just ended.  We decided to decline the recent job offer and not relocate and just stay put in our familiar surroundings with all of our good friends.  So still looking locally (again). We feel a bit sacred but very good about the decision.

4 Magical Healing Miles in 37:24 (9:21 pace, AHR 146) 2 with Tory and . Nothin special. 68F, 67dewpoint

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

A week of gut wrenching decisions just ended.

Let's not go there again!

Seriously, I'm sure this was a tough decision but it's good that you are feeling positive about it and had enough confidence to hold out for what you really want.  Hang in there. 

Be safe. Be kind.

I don't know if this had any impact, but I went back to my old BP medicine yesterday.

Lou, my performance definitely picked up this summer after I switched BP meds. This also may be cheating, but I usually take them when I get up in the morning, except when I have an early run scheduled; in  that case, I take them after I get back.

Tramps, we've been happy with our Sandisk MP3 players. No Apple glitz, but they sure sound the same to me for a lot less money.

I ran with an old friend who has not been out running for quite a while, so took it easy and short at only 2.7 miles. Also it was raining lightly, but not enough to really bother us. I wish now that I'd done another lap, as I feel like I didn't run at all today, but there's always tomorrow.

Good running everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

I woke last night to the sound of thunder.

How far off I sat and wondered.

Started hummin a song from 1962.

Looks like it's the treadmill....

Oooh, it's gonna be the treadmill for you

Strange how the belt moves

Marathon closing in......

Planned to do 12 - 14. Woke up to lightning, Went to the Y. since it dosen't open until 5 getting 12 or more was out of the question. I don't know if I could do that much on a treadmill anyway.

Did 7.25 at close to MP pace. On a treadmill. Hopefully will get another run in tonight but rain and T-storms are forecasted all day.

Looks like yesterday was typical speed day for us all, nice job out there ... I could do without the wretching commentary not because it bothers my stomach but just because it's gross ... bleck

I'm guessing you've been through a lot of stress Steve in making that decision, T&P for a speedy new offer ...

No running today, just pilates this morning, my legs are feeling a little tired after the 10 mile race on Sat and then the two mile race yesterday so I'm glad it was a XTing day.  Will run easy tomorrow.

Happy hump day runs all

rs

PS Crim report is finally up ..

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Just a quick fly-by, as I’m busy at work.

Here’s DD and DS in one of our vacation photos from an overcast morning on the beach.  This is so telling of DD’s personality.

5 recovery-paced (10:44 ave) miles for me today in 62°.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning, gang!

Mary - thanks for the recipe - now I don't have to wonder what I'm having for dinner Sunday.

Carolyn - you might have to cut your DH some slack.  In his defense,  I can tolerate any kind of animal body parts, fluids, etc., but I absolutely lose it when I have to deal with the human equivalents.

SLO - nothing worse than biting into a mushy apple - if I want applesauce, I'll open a jar.....

dg - I'm in awe of the mileage on your Nike frees too!  I'm doing good to get 350 miles on my Nimbus - 450 is probably the best mileage I've had on a single pair. 

Speaking of new shoes - I just picked up a pair of the new Nimbus elevens, and I am in love.  I haven't run in them yet, but they feel very much like the Nimbus sevens, my all time favorite running shoe.  Asics has widened the toe box just a smidgen which makes my bunion very happy (and if my bunion is happy, I'm happy).

Non-running, sleep-in day for me.  Hopefully I can get in a weight workout following my noon meeting, I hate noon meetings. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, your little acorn didn't fall far from the tree, did she?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.