Masters Running

Thursday, 2.16.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday's excellent workouts:

C-R (5 miles before heading to Vegas for a company meeting)

Jlynne (4.5 miles on a sore heel, light bulbs and all...)

Tramps (5 mile on a grey day)

BerthaSlayer (5 fast miles that were supposed to be easy)

Holly (6 TM miles)

TomWhite (30 min on the Greenway on loosen-up-back day in 30F temps)

Fatozzig (25 min on stationary bike, which didn't irritate the whatever)

Catwhoorg (6 miles in 10F, windy weather, plus 12 miles on the bike in the same windy weather)

Hally (4 pleasant miles)

Enke (3.2 foot-squishing, wet miles in 50F temps)

Starr (3.5 evening miles in 39F temps)

Tet (5 mile 'mute, garbed for the rain, which thankfully came)

Mike (10 hard and hurting miles, with 7 at tempo pace)

Have a good trip, Norm.

Deeze, I'm sorry you are sick. I can't help with quad strain, but if you want to talk about damnstrings... Either way, I'd give it some rest (along with the rest of you), and see what happens.

Thanks again for the brace tip, TW. I'll look into that.

Leslie, given the way you've been hurting, I'm surprised you are considering racing this weekend at all. But good luck with whatever you decide.

Happy Anniversary to you and the Mr., Starr!

Sounds like expensive railing, Holly, but it is better than the physical and fiscal impacts of a fall on the stairs.

I'm sorry your Dad's recover is going to be so lengthy, Steve, but at least he seems to be headed in the right direction.

2.5 very easy miles this morning in about 3" of new snow, with some more coming down, and with (of course) ice underneath from the rain that preceded the snow. This is a wet snow that looks real purty as it sticks to everything, but it is also a branch-dropper, and that is not so good - I heard and saw a large one fall across someone's driveway as I passed by. I got a gift of a massage from someone at the office for Christmas, and I'm collecting that gift late this afternoon. The massage therapist is going to have a lot of work to do on me.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Head Procrastinator

Morning Jay, thanks for the recap! Enjoy the massage.

Wind is back at the beach, but I needed a strength workout anyway so did that in the building gym which I had to myself. I not being as tough as Catwhoorg 

Good Thursday to the working folks, we almost made it to Friday!

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
      SteveP

Three and a half miles in a new park. Then two with my cousins. What a great day.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you sure are getting a lot of snow!

Hally - hiyah!

Steve - beautiful!

6 more TM miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

Another 6 for me at lunchtime.

Watch stopped at the exact same time (to the second) as Tuesday run. Doubt I could do that if I tried to.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Tramps

Thanks for the start and summary, Jay.

Great pic, Steve.

Tet (and Holly)--I don't stay up late enough to watch either but the SNL cold open and Weekend Update are usually posted on YouTube by the next morning (as are the late show monologues during the week). They've had a wealth of material to work with this year.  John Oliver's show this week had its moments, too.  And who doesn't like ice cream?  Fake but funny.  I'll stop now.

I've been working on a home improvement project in my home office and I managed to pull my back a bit yesterday lifting heavy shelves.  Grrr.  It's not bad but when I was running this morning I could definitely feel the tightness on one side of my back. I'm hoping it'll loosen up by race time Saturday...which I realized today is my first race in 10 months!  Feel like a newbie again.

6 miles this morning on another blustery and chilly day.

Be safe. Be kind.

Three and a half miles in a new park. Then two with my cousins. What a great day.

Your cousins are birds? What's up with that?

As in Steve's photo, it was winter IRC this morning and I had a sproinky 6 miles around the lake with a couple of friends. One was on a training plan, so we all did his fast-slower alternation for part of it. As usual, the first half mile our from the parking area was head-on into a stiff, cold wind, but we were unaffected the rest of the way. And I really have to question the sanity of the few ice fishermen out there (I'm sure they're all men!) when a good portion of the lake is obviously thin ice and even open water near the dam.

A tough few days coming up for me. Tough because the weather forecast looks so good that I'll have a hard time deciding whether to run or bike and when to go out. My next activity today is to go down to the basement and do some quick maintenance on my bike that I didn't expect to have to do for another month.

I hope everyone else gets these same conditions over the weekend.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

I can't stay up late enough for SNL either, but we DVR it and that way I can just watch the skits I want and FF through all the stupid stuff. Pretty much, we just watch the opening monologue, the weekend report thing (is that what it's called?) and any political skits. some of their stuff is just really ridiculous/raunchy. but the political material is funny. maybe even moreso with my political leanings.

crazy sloppy rain yesterday so didn't get in a run. and tonight is annual member meeting planning with the non profit, so no time to run. I will have to get in a few miles on friday, rain or shine because I have a 5K race Saturday morning which I then need to turn into a 10 mile run. in the rain no doubt.

Tammy

mrrun

Ran in what was probably IRC winter conditions, but a shocker to my system.  Not sure of either time or distance.  The other shocker was hills. In florida, the only hills were bridges.  my winter runs tend to be hillier because of the back roads i run on - well plowed and fairly free of cars.

jay - hope the massage helps and thx for wrap-up as usual.

Shout-out to everyone else!  Back to house ketchup after 3 weeks away - not pretty!

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

welcome back marj and henry.

when's your next one?

Steve - a lot of 'em seem to be sitting on the orange buoys

with wings poised as if for flying as a cormorant is doing

in this stock photo but maybe they're just showing

territoriality so interlopers won't intrude, . . .

unless they're of a proper gender.

Image result for great blue heron on buoy spreading wings

2/16/16 - 49o / cloudy with blue patches.

Uneventful five mile morn: dry, dripless, and windless

instead of the predicted continuing February rainfest

and 40mph winds that would've made it interesting. ,

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

The photos posted today are stunning.

I too can't stay up to watch SNL but love watching the you tube skits. Hilarious.

Today I ran 8 miles with 7 Little Berthas. Omg. They were hard. Bertha won't win though. I think today we tied.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

roachrunner ha, had the same thought about SteveP''s text and photo! Although, I was curious as to which cousin it was a picture of. Do you think he knows SteveP thinks he is a bird brain?  Okay, I gotta stop before I kill everyone with laughter.

I ran 6 this morning. I had thought about going out while it was still dark but I was afraid I would hit some black ice and do myself it. Glad I waited for dawn. There were a few spots that I likely would have missed with just a headlamp.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

welcome back marj and henry.

when's your next one?

After a brief stay home we're leaving Saturday am for a long weekend in Brooklyn to spend time with my BIL who's rehabbing from some medical issues. Since we're having difficulties dealing with our winter temps it promises to hit the 60's in NYC😎

TammyinGP

since I shared here last week about my dads health and the suspicious mass on his bladder, I wanted to follow up. He went in for surgery today to remove this mass. the biopsy results won't come back for 7-10 days but dr seems to think it was cancer. He's been given a vaccine to his bladder to prevent cancer growth which apparently happens in about 50% of the cases.

This was supposed to be an outpatient surgery, but they are keeping him overnight for a few reasons, but one reason is because his BP was 220/115 when he checked into surgery. they thought they would have to reschedule, but gave him BP meds via IV that I guess brought it down to a manageable level. but it's still high post surgery, so they want to monitor it closely.

Tammy

No running, still sick, but I did go for a myofascial release treatment for my quad. Had a 30 minute session and she really worked that left quad and helped straighten out my pelvis. It's one of those treatments that "hurts so good" - and she gave me lots of advice. Biggest thing is my lack of following through with a good warm-up, foam rolling and stretching routine which I know are the culprits. I am committing to getting back on track in those areas and hope to feel good enough by the weekend to try a short run.

Happy Thursday friends!!

denise