Masters Running

Saturday, Saturday! The 3.29.14 Daily (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

3.1 E-P RW miles this morning - just trying to stay loose for a race tomorrow. I met a friend out on the road, so we walked and chatted for about a mile. Twocat, it was a balmy 44F, so I got to go out in shorts today! I'm taking DW out to our favorite dive for breakfast, and then I have a project list that goes up one arm, across my shoulders, and down the other arm. So I'd better get going!

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Awesome start as always Jay and good luck with the LONG list!

I loved Marj and Henrun’s Capital C for culture day yesterday---awesome.

TW! Holding good thoughts for you and while I know you were disappointed, the doctor seems like a straight shooter and that’s great. Keep the pool running tales coming, even if on the brink of insanity.

Holly, good luck with the school scouting for DS. There are lots of scholarship aid options out there, so keep the faith.  I just can’t believe the time is nearing so rapidly. It makes me nostalgic like Aamos (and so glad you are back) and also excited for the kiddo as he embarks on a new adventure soon. He’s interning this summer at a race registration company and also with the sports information director at one of the local colleges. He set up both internships on his own (working at a car wash on weekends) and we are super happy for him.

Today’s run was a 10 miler without my watch and with a few strides in the last mile to wake up the legs. I am running a 5k on Sunday with my team as part of the USATF-NE series---race #3 in the road series and our women’s teams (open and masters) are in a tie for second and third respectively while the men’s team is in a tie for first with the BAA. The engineers on the team are always calculating the points, but I know I just need to get off the line fast and pretend as if I like 5ks!  That distance feels like a dash to me where I am in immediate oxygen debt in mile one, holding on by fingernails in mile two, and then pumping my arms like mad in a futile attempt to make the legs go in mile three. I am going to run watch-less and just run like heck and hope for the best. They have a separate women’s start for this race at least so I won’t get as trampled.

Big Hugs back to you Denise!

Heading back to the Leatherwood Ultra website to check on race progress.  My ultra teammate and her husband are starting off their ultra season in the Blue Ridge Mtns. with a 50 miler in NC. Here’s hoping they rock it!

Good morning Jay, Karin and all to follow. Sounds like a "working Saturday" for you Jay. Have a good breakfast so you have the energy to blaze through all of those chores.

Good luck with your race tomorrow Karin - and remember - you LOVE running 5k's!

(((TomW))) We love having you here, with or without chlorine.

Steve P -

Irregardless of what Twocat says, it was a downright balmy 29° with a nice "breeze" out of the NW when I took off at 6 this morning. Wearing capris, a light jacket and no hat! 7 miles at a 9:23 pace . I think listening to "Run Like Hell" by Pink Floyd helped pick up the pace for a few minutes   I've already got 100+ miles for March with two more days to go. It's been a while...

Some great basketball last night, don't 'ya think?!

Good luck to all of our racers this weekend, and GO BIG RED!!

...thanks guys//....except for the NuclearDevise Idea, much appreciated,,,,,

============

...26mprnb

deo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euc9MMRtuSg

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

I had a good mind...until I watched that video...well...it was an okay mind, anyway...

Henrun

A beautiful spring day on Heartbreak Hill with the marathon training hordes. I did 6 sproinky miles and Marj did at least 11. We countered each other once since we started at different times. I also encountered Robin and her running partner Heavy rain coming this afternoon and lasting into Monday. Glad we got in the miles this morning. Have a good weekend and good racing!

A beautiful spring day on Heartbreak Hill with the marathon training hordes. I did 6 sproinky miles and Marj did at least 11. We countered each other once since we started at different times. I also encountered Robin and her running partner Heavy rain coming this afternoon and lasting into Monday. Glad we got in the miles this morning. Have a good weekend and good racing!

I so wish I was out there today, but after all the work one of our running group members did to connect us with the Hopkinton Running Club for tomorrow's 21/22 on the course, I just didn't feel like I could back out.  Ran 6.4 easy miles today - my head cold still lurking but needed something after a total rest day yesterday!!

denise

C-R

Good luck on the race tomorrow Jay.

Nice Karin. I think you're due for some great racing. Will be fun to hear.

Irregardless. LOL. I got someone the other day in a meeting by saying "not uncomplicated". Only one other person got it. Ah well.

I love me some Muppets. Thanks TW.

So glad to be home with my family. Traveling for work isn't all sunshine and rainbows. I ran 14 today @7:48 with some of my track club team. I think I finally have my mind right for running. It was 36 with wind, rain, sleet, snow and back to rain again and I didn't mind a bit. Light day tomorrow with a 5k but things are going in the proper direction.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

Keep at it TW.  We're all pulling for you.

Well, as we suspected, he did not win the election.  A funny thing happened. The only voters are the freshman, sophomores and juniors, for this post.  One kid in the freshman class (the grades are called "forms") enlisted the entire form to vote for his older brother, a classmate of Hudson, and since there are only 40 boys in each form, one bloc of 40 votes got the job done, as there were 5 candidates.  My son learned a lot from this and now has the political "bug" I guess. Anyway, we are very proud of him for running, irregardless of the outcome.

Holly, his college counselor mentioned to us the other day that the University of Dayton is a fine school, but I'm sure your son won't want to be so close.

Ran a tenK race today and was 2nd AG in 53:16 or about 8:35 pace.  I was fortunate to have as a pacer the top female masters runner in the DFW area. She was wonderful. Cool, crisp weather and a fun time.  Spareribs

tomwhite you might want to think about that hip replacement as NHLA suggested.  Everybody I know that has had one subsequently wondered why they waited so long.  One friend of mine refers to herself as the bionic woman since she now has two artificial hips and two artificial knees.  Her claim is that if you buy four joints you get the fifth free.  I am not sure about that, could be she was pulling my leg, ah so to speak.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

evanflein I concede the cold in Alaska makes the north-east look warm.  But if I do not complain about how much I hate the cold all that emotion and all could build up in me and turn me into a snowman or something.  Then summer would come along and I would be all melted and unable to enjoy it.  So you see all of my griping has a good medical basis.

tetsujin209 I was in Ireland when the mud slide hit.  I found out about it on Monday.  I cannot believe how much came down and how many people were in its way.  Very sad.

SteveP maybe see if you can do deliveries via dog sled.  Avenger Doggie says he is in!

I ran during the last two days so today was elliptical day.  I am hoping to run a 30k race tomorrow.  When I signed up earlier in the week the forecast said sun!   Then a few days ago it changed to rain!   Now it says cloudy for just some chance of rain.   I am going to wake up and see what actually appears and if it is not raining go run the race.  Now off to wreck the rest of my weekend doing my taxes and the taxes for my DW's aunt's estate.  Oh what fun!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

What Henrun didn't see...

The Newton fire station, where you turn onto Commonwealth, had 2 boots out where they were collecting for the Boston firefighters family. For the non-locals, the two firefighters who died were from the station on Boylston and Hereford. I didn't know it was going to be there, but always run with a few dollars, so I threw them in.  There were tens and twentys - I'm not sure if runners knew in advance and carried that much money or what.  the generousness (word?) carried me up the hills.

marj

mta: congrats on the racing and good luck to tomorrow's racers!

((tw)) just because

...thanks twocat (and everyone else)///........I'm going to hold off til I retire, since paying a ReliefPharmacist 2-3 months is not feasible

or,

''infeasible''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

After last week’s Dizzy Daze 12-hour run, no need or interest in running anymore this month but, thinking of a couple of friends who, if they survived last night’s steady rains, have been running non-stop for nearly 24 hours in a mountainous, nearby, 100-miler (19,000' elevation), 4 spur-of-the-moment miles was the least I could do during a short respite in the wettest March since the Weather Bureau set up in Seattle in 1891. 
                            Gotta love wildchild’s spur-of-the-moment 50K though. 
                            Marj’s heartwarmer too.

Keep satiating us with Boston.

On the heartbreaker side, a brand-new widow from the Oso mudslide said she’d assured her husband last year that their new house would be safe because it was above the 100-year flood.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TW - I hope your retirement is soon!

Yeah, the mudslide.  That and the Malaysian airplane.....time to stop worrying about my petty concerns and enjoy all my blessings.

Forgot to report my run yesterday, speaking of all this rain.

I did 3.5 miles - the first two were extraordinarily wet, but I loved it.

Remi found a bone on our run - and I let him have it.  But then he kept me up half the night with his 'bathroom issues', wanting in and out of the house to take care of that.  So, I am pretty tired today.

Last night's date/nondate got cancelled due to rain, but hopefully a nice dry date/nondate walk tomorrow instead.

Maybe a run later today....when the rain lets up

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

Yesterday, the results came back on my 24 hour heart monitor and it was fine.  Occasional ventricular this and supraventricular that, but I was told in was normal.  Doctor thinks it is all from anxiety so I need to address that.  Like plaque in the arteries I think anxiety and stress can build up over the years to where it just leaves you tired all the time.  Even when levels of stress are currently pretty low.

I did go out for some walking with a little slow running thrown in today.  3.14 miles according to the Garmin which I was wearing because I am going to give the Maffetone low heart rate method another try.  In order to keep my heart rate at the desired number I pretty much had to just walk fast.  Kind of made me wish I paid more attention to some of the technique tips Jay posts from time to time.  He would have lapped me in a 5k out there today.  As soon as I would start to run my heart rate would shoot up too high.

I tried Maffetone a couple summers ago, but I was bored and cheated too much to see any changes.

In non-stressful news, my younger daughter is becoming a full time employee at her job in the Chicago area.  She was hired in as a contract to hire person.  She will finally get paid holidays and vacation for the first time in her life. Once she gets health insurance we can drop her from ours and the only thing left that we are paying for either daughter will be our younger daughter's phone.  And that is a pretty cheap add-on to our plan because it isn't a smart phone.