Masters Running

Wed Mar 5 Runs and Workouts (Read 564 times)

I have done one relay and it was a blast. If you have never done one it is hard to describe other than the quote, "I am never doing this again until next year." I am glad to see our fellow Masters had a great time. To anybody here I highly recommend finding an event in your area and running it. I am soooo happy to be reading about snow and cold ELSEWHERE!!!! Big grin Sorry, but it is finally near 50 here in CT and it is such a joy to be running without freezing over the initial mile or two. 5.3 miles for me today. Tomorrow is speedwork day! Oh well, into every training a bit of speedwork must fall. Or something like that.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

CNYrunner posted: "16 miles at 5 AM with 4x25 mins. at comfortable hard pace (7:48, 7:47, 7:44, 7:44) 2 mins. rest between each set."
      Wow! What an impressive workout. 4x25 minutes??? Eeek. You are amazing ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

9 miles at an 8:19 pace,legs made of lead...
        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        btb1490

Happy Wednesday all! We're halfway to the weekend! from yesterday... Mustang Sally- thanks for the Skip update. It's good to hear all is well. enke- just keep doing what you're doing with your training, and you'll get to where you want to be. You're doing great. I hope you don't get your son's junk before the weekend! Teresa- Congrats on the consecutive running streak. Enjoy your rest day, they are just as important as the running days. halllar- From Hal Higdon's website... Simply do your long runs at a comfortable pace, one that allows you to converse with your training partners, at least during the beginning of the run. Toward the end, you may need to abandon conversation and concentrate on the act of putting one foot in front of the other to finish. However, if you find yourself finishing at a pace significantly slower than your pace in the first few miles, you probably need to start much slower, or include regular walking breaks. It's better to run too slow during these long runs, than too fast. The important point is that you cover the prescribed distance; how fast you cover it doesn't matter. You want to be tired at the end of these runs, but not spent. It takes practice to find out what that pace is. PJH- really nice tempo run! I'm very impressed with your comeback. eliz- you on antibiotics yet? Sounds like it might be time. Good deal on the kids being good! You wonder what they're really up to though when they're like that... Wink You should've been used to your orthotics by now. Give 'em heck on Monday. And thanks for the prednisone info. Just 2 more days to go on it. stumpy- that was some story about the car. How "considerate" of him to not tell you. Wink Regarding your shins, how are your shoes? fbgrrl- make sure you keep getting your runs in. The woman I see for massages limits her hours and sticks to that, so that she has enough time for herself. She said I'll never get rich this way, but I'm happy. Regarding the solar and if I'm using the batteries, the answer is yes and no. I think you are referring to the type of system that runs on batteries when there is no sun. That is called being "off grid". My system is not off grid. When there is no sun, I use the utilities electricity. But I produce more than enough electricity during the day to offset that. Having an "off grid" system is quite a bit more costly and complicated to set up than an "on grid" system. You need a huge amount of batteries, which are costly, and will eventually have to be replaced. In my system, I have a backup system that runs on batteries in case of a power failure only. Think of it as a backup generator in case of a power loss, but it runs on batteries instead. Only the key systems in the house are hooked up to it, so if there is a power failure, you still have your fridge, water, heat, some lights, etc... even with only the essentials hooked up to it, it still required 10 huge batteries that weigh 100lbs each. You would probably need 3 or 4 times that to run your entire house each night. Last night we had a big storm come through and we lost power, and everything stayed running without even knowing there was an outage. Email me if you want more info! from today... WRFB- I too am bummed about the loss of the little morning daylight that we've been getting. But at least DST signals that spring is closer! biketm- I'm impressed with your weather that you've only had to resort to the dreadmill once this season! perchcreek- 6 times around a hilly loop! That's a lot of hills! And look at how you put the hammer down at the end. Nice job. hopeful4ever- welcome back. Yay on the no leg pain! Hills are strength training in disguise. breger1- nice splits on your run! That was combined 32 minutes of a good effort! Holly- I hope you'll listen to soundrunners advice at least. Others have been suggesting that maybe you are doing too much as well, maybe hearing it from her will do the trick. Glad you had a nice run this AM. Jlynne- welcome home, I think! Mtnchk- it sounds like a good day for a rest day SueT- the heck with the car, was there enough left over for a Garmin and new running shoes? PeterNC- Glad you survived the storm, it looked pretty bad down your way. CNY- What a workout, on stiff legs, swollen feet, and in horrible conditions no less. You amaze me. Thanks for reading that article, I'm glad you liked it. Safe travels and enjoy the hopefully warmer weather. rochrunner- good deal with your run today! I guess the leg is feeling better! The two words "kids" and "logical" don't belong in the same sentence together. Twocat- Aren't you gonna miss those first few freezing miles when they are gone for good? Wink Heading out shortly for a lunchtime 8 miler. Running the first 4 with a coworker, so it'll be nice and easy. Wild storms overnight and a prednisone buzz kept me up for a good part of the night again, two nights in a row, so I'm really dragging my sorry butt around today. I posted a link for CNY to look at yesterday. It's a good read if anyone is interested about patience and longevity when training for distance running. http://home.hia.no/~stephens/torart.htm As always, make today better than the day before. Have a good one, all! Smile
            No running but what a snowstorm out here..WOW. Tons of snow last night, then freezing rain then more snow. It's coming down so heavy. It's already the second most snow ever in Ottawa and we are closing in on the record year of 1971. We are expecting another foot today and maybe a foot and a half on Saturday... Drove my lady friend and her two children to the airport this morning. We left super early...hopefully their flight leaves on time or leaves...looks promising though as the Ottawa crews are quite amazing in clearing snow. Feeling a bit better, no results yet... Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Flight delayed so I can read more of the daily thread! I don't know about amazing as far as my workout is concerned, but thanks for the props Breger! I felt like pushing it and it worked. This is big workout month for sure. I think I'll be snoring on the plane. Vista! Crack me up. I'll go with that quiet confidence thing. I was indeed the anchor leg for the 4x 800 and distance medley relays in high school and college. I loved to hear the rival school coaches yell: "Hear she comes, pick it up!" when I grabbed the baton. Ha! I too dream about all of us getting together and running one huge relay....perhaps field a few teams at the relays that are cropping up all over these days.....hmmmm. Okay.....looks like some action at the gate. Until soon, CNY
              seemomgo

Many good runs today and lots of snow and messy streets! 5.5 miles on the garage treadmill watching the white stuff fall. Doug, your story about your son made me laugh as when I was in college we would drive anywhere to watch hockey. Yes, it seems rediculous, but man oh man those were good times and make for great memories!!! I went to Colorado College in Colorado Springs. We would drive to Denver for a game, back to Colo Spgs to the dorms to change clothes, then back to Denver to party at DU and then back to go to sleep and get up and do it again the next day! And to think now I am in bed by 9:30 every night. Boring!!! Have good days everyone and enjoy whatever the day has in store for you!
                  I'm having trouble even finding time to enter my usual meager post, but WRFB chided me this morning about it, so.... I headed out in a dark, driving rain, 30 mph winds, and falling temps this morning - and almost turned back. I actually did a little u-turn and then turned around again, all the while telling myself to HTFU. The conditions made me want to finish the run quickly, so it ended up as a peppy GA run. 8 miles, 9:27 pace. I saw no other walkers or runners this morning (besides my sweetie who only ran 5 miles and somehow managed to dodge the worst of the weather). By the time we left for work, the clouds had cleared and the sun was out.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

King of PhotoShop

3.3 miles on the packed dirt, real slow, but felt fine. Fingers crossed. Lou, I liked that "deluginous" this morning. Bill, good workout. Mary, I imagine walking hills in S.F. and cutting back would give you a fresh feeling workout today; well done. I'm home today and fly out tomorrow for a day in Chicago. I feel bad others are having rotten weather. It's clear as a bell here and 50's temps. Very nice. The Saint is doing a 9 miler today, as part of her training for a May half marathon. It's going very well for her and I am proud of the way she is training for this one. Spareribs
                      Boy, you Easterners are really getting pounded this year! Vista, I liked how you distilled character assessments out of what the women said in response to your post. It makes me wonder how much of one's personality is reflected in his/her approach to running and training. 8pm last night, I hit the mill. I made sure to eat the right foods all day to avoid late-night gassiness. It worked. I did this 8 mile workout: 2 mile w/u @ 10:32 2 x 2 miles @ 8:20 (a new, faster tempo speed for me!) 2 mile c/d @ 10:32 I was much impressed with the fellow two spots away running @ 7:30 continuously with a HR of only 122. I'm sure my HR is about 170 at the end of my tempos. Third day home with my son who still has a fever, but improving. That means 10 to 12 on the mill tonight, Dead

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

2 days into my comeback I have some sort of bug. So I guess I'll take today off and see how I feel tomorrow. My youngest daughter is home from school today with the same thing. Personality and the mental aspect are a big part of running. I'm pretty laid-back but I read a very inspiring book the night before a half-marathon and I went into the run with the attitude to really push it. That was and still is my half-marathon PR. (It helped that the weather was perfect too.)

Marathon Maniac #957

I made sure to eat the right foods all day to avoid late-night gassiness. It worked.
                          Big grin Nice tempo workout, btw.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Vista, I liked how you distilled character assessments out of what the women said in response to your post. It makes me wonder how much of one's personality is reflected in his/her approach to running and training.
                            Oh geez, I'm afraid my approach to running and training shows some serious character/personality defects! I schedule my rest days around the weather forecast. If it was cold, windy, and pouring rain, like for PDR this morning, I would have totally wussed out. Yesterday, it was 35 degrees and windy, and I opted to run at the rec center. I even went outside and walked around a bit to talk myself into running outside, but decided it wouldn't be any fun with the wind. Those of you who routinely bundle up and run outside in almost any weather are made of stronger stuff than me! (think: WWED?) Also Holly CNYrunner, PDR, WRFB, Mary, ... there are too many of you to mention! I don't really mind cold or snow, but I have trouble with wind or heat. Today it's 25 degrees and snowing, but not windy, so I'll probably HTFU and run outside at lunch. OK, now I have to, since I've committed to it here!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sayhey! It snowed last night Sad, but now appears to be melting Cool, which is a good thing, b/c as I've complained B4, the city doesn't plow here, but just assumes melting will occur Confused. Anyway, I'm off to the gym to see if I can get what Holly wrote about--some "soothe" (I'm making a noun out of an adjective) for my legs after Sunday's 26.2. Sue, I think he'll change his mind. CNY--I know how little room shorts take up, and I'm totally envious. Say, do you wear pressure hose when you travel? They really work for me. roch and ribs, so glad you're back on track (say ribs--Dove's saying she can't imbibe B4 Boston in the "Boomer Bruch Cancelled" thread so I alluded to our experience with having a drinking contest before Omaha. Hope that's ok..... As far a Relays---we could field a 12 person team some time in the future at a Ragnar Relay event. I did one in Seattle last year with folks who flew in from all across the country. Took some coordination, but we had a blast and won the best team name--Postfontaine. grins, A ps: btb, there's a warrant out for you on that Boomer Brunch thread. Your offer was accepted, so look for the Martha Stewart magazine in the mail!
                              Masters 2000 miles
                              btb1490

ps: btb, there's a warrant out for you on that Boomer Brunch thread. Your offer was accepted, so look for the Martha Stewart magazine in the mail!
                                I decided to hire a lawyer and work on a disclaimer and release form that everyone must read and sign before attending... so I've been busy with that.