Masters Running

Monday, 3.6.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s wonnerful workouts:
    Tramps (8K in 22F temps - 33:14 for 10th place, AG)
    Holly (8 tired leg, creaky-knee miles in 30-35F temps)
    RunnerKSA (5.3 miles with hillage in Henderson, NV, before the winds kicked in)
    BerthaSlayer (13.1, new streak, deer-free miles)
    C-R (helpful randy trails with friends)
    Jlynne (1 hr on the elliptical + 15 min core stuff)
    Tomwhite (40 min of pool-loving pool running)
    Catwhoorg (6 mile + longish walk and playtime in the park with the family)
    Wildchild (7 windy miles in the neighborhood with altitude [and attitude, no doubt])
    Eke (6.7 miles cross-country skiing with MBE)
    Mike (8 nice and easy miles in 55F windy weather).
    Twocat (25K race, 2:07:43 for 19/31 AG)
    Evanflein (4 miles on the elliptical + some weight work)
    Steve (2 miles with the mutts and a stick in the snow)

I’m very sorry about your mom’s passing, Norm. It’s never easy, even when we know it’s coming.

Nice racing in a fast field, Tramps!

RunnerKSA, you’re going to have to work pretty dang hard to get thrown out of this group!

Nice job on the first streak, Lori, and good luck on with the new one.

Evanflein, I was in Anchorage in ’99 for another ‘ceremonial’ start of the Idatrod when they had to truck snow into town because there wasn’t even enough for that short run. Weird.

Jlynne, I’ll be right over for onion soup and Bette Davis eyes…

Holly, that is why I always take my phone out of my back pocket before lowering my pants.

WC, the Sprinter van sounds great for wilderness traveling.

Eke, those skate-ski racers are amazing, aren’t they?

Nice racing in a fast field for you too, Twocat!

Steve, good luck to your dad with his health issues. And good luck to you on getting to sit on that new couch.

We had a brief but great trip to visit family in Chester, NY on Saturday/Sunday. It was a 4+ hr trip each way, but worth it, with lots of chatter and good eats. I went for a 5+ mile walk on Sunday morn in 12F temps. It is a very hilly area, but I managed to find a few miles of flats near an industrial park that wasn’t scenic, but it helped me help my hamstrings by staying as far away from the hills as I could.

Today, we’re having a ‘goodbye’ luncheon for 2 employees who are leaving this week, one after 18 years, and the other after a little over 2 years. They both gave plenty of notice, so we’ve had time to figure out and make the necessary adjustments by extending some other folk’s hours and shifting some responsibilities. We'll see how it all works, and we'll hire another person if we have to.

SRD today, so I stayed in and caught up on some reading rather than head for a walk in more 12F temps.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, all.

Sounds like a good weekend of running and racing.  Although I find it amazing that Tramps and TC ended so low in AG.  There is little hope for me at my speed.

Steve--that is one truckload of hounds.  They'll probably end up on the couch before you do.

A couple of very breezy, chilly runs for me over the weekend.  Both around 17°F at the start and 22° at the end with 20-25 mph wind.  forgot to check to see what the windchill was.  Ended up sort of overdressing for both.  4 miles on Saturday and 10K on Sunday.  Have to get a training plan coordinated with my half up in Maine in May.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Happy National Oreo Cookie Day: http://www.nationaldaycalendar.com/national-oreo-cookie-day-march-6/

Put me down for 4 miles this morning.

I kind of wish cell phones had never been invented.  I don't like the 24/7 availability.  I often go days without turning my phone on (usually all weekend) and when I do there is some text and someone frustrated that I never answered.  When I travel with Cindy her phone seems like it is always beeping text messages and Facebook alerts.    We had people over on Friday and one guy's phone kept beeping out traffic alerts about an accident on I-64.   

(I have to have my phone if I work remote because there is an app to provide a code for added security for accessing the main system.)

Final run in Nevada for while.  Did 5 instead of the planned 4.  Gorgeous blue sky, mountains in the background and crisp morning.  This is why I run!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

One cute little mile run and done.

Cell phones are an annoyance. I admit I have a slight addiction to it myself. Wish I didn't.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Tramps

Steve--that whole post was wonderful but this is the line that had me laughing:

There was one worthwhile stick in the entire forest and they could not share it.

I got kicked out of a bar once.

Mike--You can't just say that without the story!

Dave--right to disconnect. I suspect we'll be hearing more about this.

Carolyn--NEVER tell Tribee about that van. Solar panels and all?  I'd never hear the end of it.

Erika--interesting.  I was wondering if there was broad support or if it was the sort of thing that kind of got annoying (the lower 48 thinking of Alaska only in relation to dog sledding, etc.)

A couple of years ago I was part of a hiring search in my dept during which we hired a terrific, smart, articulate, funny new colleague who writes about education.  Her new book on for-profit colleges just came out and she's been on a whirlwind media tour promoting it.  Great, well-written book, that's very readable for a broad audience. We're very proud of her.  Here's her interview this weekend on Marketplace.  (She's a force on Twitter, too, with some 35,000+ followers last time I checked!) I suspect she's one of those people who, in a few years,  I'll be saying, "I knew her back when..."

Hit the trail loop today for a little under 8.  Last week's storm really brought down a lot of branches, which added a little challenge.  Beautiful day here.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Tramps, I wouldn't mind people asking me if I get around by dog sled. Much better than always being asked if I live in an igloo or if it's dark all the time.   The 72 mushers and their 2,000 dogs will have a chilly start today. It's -35 this morning, and will warm up to +3 this afternoon. March brings these wide temperature swings but we'll gradually get warmer as April gets closer. With all the snow this winter, it'll be interesting to see how long break up lasts. We're usually snow-free by the end of April...

I was also thinking Tramps and Twocat run with some fast crowds. Nice work, guys.

Love the picture of Tag, Honey and friends in the truck! Steve, how did you fit? That's quite some endurance on the furniture quest.

Pool run scheduled for today.

''Pool run scheduled for today.''

....I'm SO Proud of You.....

=================

basically I ''PoolRan'' due to NoOtherOptions

(when

I couldn't even Walk)

>>>>>>>>>>BUT NOT TODAY!!!!!!

.........30-min HH on GreenWay with 2-lb cane..........ya Gotta Love It

..................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

Super easy 4.

legs weren't feeling good, so kept it short and slow today

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

I love Avenger Doggie pictures!  And kitty pictures, too.  And grandchildren pictures.  Basically anything that distracts me from Monday.  

I'm trying to find a way to get out of the afternoon staff meeting because I have too much work to do.  I actually thought about going home "sick" so I could remote in and get some work done instead of slogging through that meeting.  

5 miles for me on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Thanks Jay and everyone else for your thoughts and condolences. Services are this afternoon. Not really ready for that either.

Got 5 at lunch and it helped clear the mind.

Great dog pix Steve. Frankly astounded there is room for you to drive in the car.

Holly - fake a hammy injury. Works for soccer players.

I would have liked to run trails in NV. Glad you got those KSA

Ok. Gotta collect the crew and head out to the funeral home.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

[[[ CR ]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

[[[CR]]] - tough day now and always

Hope there's lots of family to share.

No excuse is too feeble to go to Portland (Oregon, . . .

though I'd probably like the other one too) even though

it meant sitting through two full days of meetings last week.

Add me to the grateful for Jay's daily recaps.
                            Very much appreciated.

holly - nice that your firm gives you the leeway

to help out needy others when you can.

For me, that's the best part of being "retired."

Hope you find some barefoot beaches in Jamaica, . . .

along with green/green bananas, cassavas,

potatoes and yams.

http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/Brigadier_Jerry:Jamaica,_Jamaica

enke - if you ice-skated in your Canada days,

you'll love ski-skating. Do it while you can.

wildchild - count me in on your next van trip.

In 1983, we used short sojourn in WDC as an excuse to buy a Dodge van

in Seattle, load in the kids (10-and-11yo), drive across the top of the country

to Maine, down to the DC assignment with a return across the bottom

of the country and back to Seattle.

Hard to believe that, since I'd already run that year's titular annual 26.2 miles

I was doing in those days, I had no interest in running when we were in NYC

and saw the NYC Marathon. However, watching Rod Dixon (NZ) pass

Geoff Smith (UK) in the last 400 meters was worth it.

Sold the van in Seattle for more than we bought it.

Welcome KSA. No problem about banishments, . . . as long as no disparagements

about slow runners who continue to like marathon distances, aging runners

who don't think they are, telling twocat when we run in the rain, barefoot running, etc.

However, be sure to keep your posts to the running topic at hand, . . .

. . . unless you have grandkids, pets, photos, etc.

ps - are doing the 50-states or something in your travels?

Me too Erika but I finally got sick-and-tired of it and finally said "yes" to everything.

Kind of scary, though, when I realized that everyone believed me

and, even though I was from the SE rainbelt, wanted to see pictures

of our family igloo. Glad there was no internet then.

However, glad I had three trips up there this fall and got in on the northern lights

everyone's been enjoying down there too.

They should be part of the daily weather forecast or announcements

instead of hit-and-miss of staying up, being outside or having friends call.

With Ilene's apparent retirement when I missed most of December and January

in Japan (or did she get banned for some of her early pictu, . . . I mean, postings),

is mariposai's marathon in six weeks In Boston or one of the two here

in Washington state that weekend?

that should catch me up.

Oh, speaking of sticking to the running topic at hand,

I celebrated first sunny day of the month

with first five miler of the month

jay - in addition to the outstretched cormorants on the bridge buoys,

lots of old coots in the water this morning too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

No 50 states for me!  Just business travel with some side trips thrown in.  I DO like to add new states to my racing, but my main goal is to just keep going.  I move into a new age group in September and have a marathon planned right after that.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

RunnerKSA, you’re going to have to work pretty dang hard to get thrown out of this group!

I'm kind of looking forward to see her try, though...just as long as she leaves me alone...

Tramps--I wish I had a cool story about being kicked out of the bar.  I was there...drinking...having a good time...drinking...laughing...drinking...talking louder than I usually do...drinking...and, from out of nowhere, the manager came over and said we had to stop drinking.  I said, "okay"...or something like that...then she told me we had to leave.

I did 8 miles tonight at the middle school track.  My goal was to do 6 x 800 in 3:05.  I managed to get all of them under that...including 5 of the 6 under 3:00.  I was pretty happy about that.  I wasn't happy about the rain...and the storms all around...which Debbie scolded me for being out in, as soon as I walked in the door.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!