Masters Running

Tuesday January 27 run and fun! (Read 546 times)

#artbydmcbride

4 miles easy peasy! Taper madness starts to set in! Smile

Runners run

Slo

Good Morning Ilene....and thanks for the opener ! A very easy 4.5 last night followed by 4 x 8 sec hill repeats. This morning was a core and upper body strength workout followed by a very easy 2 miler on the treadmill. Got a good hard interval session scheduled for tonight. The days are getting longer !!!!! I'm no longer finishing my late afternoon runs in the dark ! C'mon Summer Cool
      Tramps

Days are longer, but it seems just as dark in the morning, doesn't it? Our first snow of the season is falling heavily this morning. In limited quantities and for a limited amount of time, it’s gorgeous. Only about an inch during this morning’s run so footing on my dirt road was still good. In fact, the snow gave everything a nice cushy feel. Tempo Tuesday: 3.9 miles of w/u and c/d @ 8:47 + 6 tempo miles @ 7:16. Shin felt a bit better today, despite the harder run, so that’s encouraging.

Be safe. Be kind.

I blew off my planned 6 tempo miles, but ran 11 @ about MP. This was right for today -- just a little run down so the tempo would have been a bit too much. 11.1 miles, 1:29:26, 8:03/mi, AHR 154 (77% MHR) Yes, the snow was nice and cushy, only about 1/2 inch in our neighborhood. I expect we may need to break out the yaktrax tomorrow morning. Smile (and possibly the snowblower)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

SLO.. I think the hill spurts really help. Yesterday's 3 x 10 sec bursts really helped with speed work today. Speed work day. 10 miles in 1:23:27 (8:21 pace, AHR 150) including 7 x 800m repeats on the track with 200 m (90 sec) jog intervals: (Target was 3:25) 3:25 3:26 3:23 3:24 3:24 3:25 3:25 I'm really happy to be on the way to the 10 Yasso 800's

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

SLO.. I think the hill spurts really help. Yesterday's 3 x 10 sec bursts really helped with speed work today.
              Agree.....I switched from doing the standard hill interval of 30 sec to 1 min repeats to the all out sprints for 8 - 10 secs. Suprisingly, you don't have to do many of these. It's got the veins in my calves poppin Shocked I do a full recovery between repeats.
                Strength work today (squats, incline bench, deadlifts) and an easy 3.5 miles on the TM. Tried a new pair of ASICS Speedstars. I'm undecided. I can return them within 30 days. I run in Brooks Glycerins for long runs. Left inside shin is a little sore - i think it's more from the increase in miles and running on the left hand side of the road too much. Tomorrow, I run 8-10 miles in a snowstorm that will start around 4am. I'm hoping that getting out the door around 5:30 will let me get in the run before it gets too bad. Hopefully traffic will be light with schools closed and lots working from home. It'll actually be fun. Ilene, good luck getting through taper madness!

Tramps

In case anybody had the same question I had: 2/01 Ileneforward - Surf City Marathon, Huntington Beach CA Smile Go Ilene!!!

Be safe. Be kind.

Lucky Tramps getting snow! Here on the coast, we have only overcast skies and a prediction for rain. I know the kiddos would love to see even a flake of snow. 7 GAish miles for me today - actually on the edge of GA - in 53:50. First mile easy in 8:00 and the rest at around 7:38. I had to get this run done and get into work for a meeting. Happy Belated Birthday to Tom White!! Great speedwork there Perch. You just need a few more and you will have your Yasso 800s. I will have to try these hill sprints. I don't have much of a hill near me but there is an overpass on my run that might serve the purpose. Good luck to Ilene this weekend!

Once a runner . . .

#artbydmcbride

<gulp> Big grin Thanks!</gulp>

Runners run

dg.

Good morning! ohboy ohboy. Ilene with taper madness. Big grin Tramps, I missed your shin injury. or, maybe just forgot. What happened? what are you doing for it? I'm glad it's getting better. I had shin splints recently... was a pain in the shin. The stick seemed to help a lot. & thanks. Go Ilene!!! 5.04 miles, 165 ahr, 177 mhr, 9:50 av. pace, 8:05 max. miles were 10:37, 9:50, 9:35, 9:32, & 9:12. 15 minutes on the elliptical & 20 minutes of weight machines & russian twists. I was running late this morning. I know we've talked about this probably way too much already, but I'd really like any opinions you have regarding running with hamstring / piriformis injuries. Mine have been re-irritated for about a month. Trying to run through this but in a way that lets me heal. There's a physical therapist at my gym who's a runner. He says it's ok to run as long as your pain level doesn't go above a 3 or 4. That's what I've been banking on. Today, 2 people told me (at length & with gusto) that I really should stop for a few weeks. One is a sports med guy. Not that he had all the details but I told him about how much I was doing, & that I was running slowly, etc. So depressing, if they're right. I know... lots of company there. It's just that it seems I just got started again. Don't mean to whine, sorry. Anyway, any thoughts or experiences? mta, Meg, did you get a new 'watch' yet? I'm hoping you get something really good.
                        Slo

dg By no means am I saying what I do is right. I have been very fortunate to have had very few running related injuries. The worst being micro fractures in some of the outside metatarsals on one foot. I go by the 3 to 4 pain level rule. If the pain prevents me from completing 800 to 1000m at my 5k pace then I will take a more serious approach. If the pain stays for 2 weeks or worsens during that time I will take a more serious approach. If the pain is present at the start of a run but goes away during then I don't worry about it. Some people or more prone to injuries than others so what works for one isn't going to work for all. I do think that regular strength training.....ie hill repeats.......light to moderate stretching after your workout and a good diet are key to staying injury free. I'm also in the camp that 6 day a week runners are less prone to injuries vs 4 to 5 dayers.
                          Tramps

Tramps, I missed your shin injury. or, maybe just forgot. What happened?
                            Ran an unfamiliar rugged dirt road about 9 days ago and jammed my foot in a deep frozen rut that was hidden by leaves. (Oops.) Shin just above the ankle has been sore and tight since then but not bad enough to stop running. In fact, skipping a running day seemed to make it worse. I iced and took ibuprofen, neither of which seemed to make a difference. It's tight at first and then loosens up after a couple of miles and the discomfort doesn't get worse. So I just went back to running normally and have been monitoring. After not getting worse all week, I think I felt a little improvement today. Minor league stuff compare to what others are struggling with.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Another snow day tomorrow-so decided to run a little longer than I do on 'yoga' day. Ran 8 miles on Heartbreak Hill on a sunny 22° morning. Mile 8 was my fastest. Will probably take next 2 days off and swim one of them (or snowshoe).

Renee the dog

JDmom3, You just need to be a bit further up the coast. Send the kids up. Smile Here at the southern tip of NJ, I got all ready to go out for my tempo run and got handed a change of plans by the snow starting early. The ground had warmed up enough that the flakes were melting then freezing. Slickety slick, so I changed plans. Put on my trail shoes and headed for the beach. Better plan, but it was high tide. Sad And, since the ground had warmed up, all the sand just above high tide was all soft. And, apparently, it was suicide time for about 300 little crabs, all of which Renee tried to eat. And the wind came up a whole lot while I was out there. It was the longest three miles I've run in a looonngg time. Wink dg, I've been running with piriformis/itb/pf pain (they rotate!) since almost the beginning. Bodywork seems to keep me on the road. I try to go see my massage therapist 2x a month and she really does a great job of working out the agony. I also agree with everything SLO said. In my case of 1, I have found that completely laying off from running has never solved any issue anyway, so I might as well run. Also, a good timed day off also seems to do wonders, where I go for a walk instead. Good luck figuring it all out.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!