Masters Running

Thursday, 8.11.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I forgot to mention yesterday that the one thing we do collect are real wine corks (gotta cover another wall). Let me know if you need our mailing address...

Happy Anniversary (a day late) to Mariposai & EP, and Happy Birthday to DS1!

Aamos, no, LL didn't play the Penguin song, although it would have been fun if he did. I don't have an answer about your work-averse neighbor, except perhaps to turn NPR up just a little louder whenever Mr. Millennial gets on the phone.

Tonight is the 4th in our series of neighborhood political dinners. We're dining at the Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound in Kittery, ME, so the food will be as good as the discussions. The last dinner was pre-conventions, so it'll be interesting to hear what our friends and neighbors think about what has happened since, and what may happen next. I trust that we'll have at least one more of these dinners before election day.

I've been having a bit of vertigo, which I attribute (for no particular reason) to getting even less than my normal brief night's sleep. So I stayed in and slept till a little after 5 (gasp!) this morning. We'll see how that works. H&H weather has found us, and will be staying at least through the weekend, so I didn't mind sleeping in for that reason as well.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You've got a pretty amazing group if you can manage to keep political discussion in this round to anything approaching civil.  Good luck!

Stuck in NJ for an extra couple of days due to equipment and schduleing problems.  Means I miss my 5K this evening and our team won't have the 5 people minimum required to get a team score.    But it's also going to be in the 90's, so I'm missing the get-together a lot more than the actual running. 

Early starts and long days have done in my running for the week.  again.  Next week off to NC for another startup, so looking forward to another week of the same level.  blah.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Some interesting research on how running show drop affects injury rates. I am quoting from a blog that reports on running research,

Overall, there were no differences in the injury rate between the different drops.

Low drop shoes increase the injury risk for regular runners (>6 months running).

Low drop shoes decreased the injury risk for occasional runners.

You can find the original post at http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/is-the-drop-of-a-running-shoe-associated-with-injury-risk/.

I ran 13 miles today. Spotted some interesting creatures on the streets of south-western CT today. Here are some pictures from my run:

About mile 2 I would say this guy appeared in the middle of the sidewalk. Thought I should step around him. (Her?)

Then around mile 5 this fellow appeared

Cute, eh? I was slowing down at about mile 10. But thanks to the inspiration from this visitor I pulled off one really fast mile!

Just hanging out on the side of the road. Friendly looking. See the smile?

All right, none of that happened. No swamp critters. But I tell you they would have been right at home here today. Well actually, the 13 mile run did happen. Just felt like I was running through a swamp.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - 5am? (gasp!)

Kevin - a 5K in the 90's sounds like a tough race.

Twocat - 

I am STILL having knee trouble.  Drat!

45 minutes on the bike trainer today watching a rerun of House.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, your knee issue has been going on too long!

Twocat - that was funny!

I also felt like I was running in a swamp.  Only 61F, but it was humid and I was so red-faced and sweaty at the end of my 4.3 run.  The run itself felt pretty darn good, no real aches or pains anywhere.  It was a joy.  Even at a plus 11 pace (felt a lot faster, funny how that works)

Congrats to Mariposai and the EP.  It's a long haul... but you two know how to celebrate each other.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

I "ran" 3 this morning.  A lot of walking involved.

Then a doctor check-up to see if my new cholesterol medicine is working.  My blood pressure, glucose, and cholesterol were all down, but the cholesterol was not down as much as the doctor was hoping so he wants me to take the medicine every day instead of twice a week as I was doing.

Next check in 6 more months.

The swamp weather is thick here in MA as well - I likened it more to a steam room tho!! My friends think I am insane because I actually LOVE this weather - granted it's not great for running and definitely not speed, but I still LOVE it!!

Did a bike sandwich this morning - rode my bike to a friend's house where they had been out since 5am getting in their first 7 miles of their long run, then a bunch of us did our usual 6 mile loop, and rode home from there while a few headed out to get in a few more running miles before 8am!!  My totals were 7.2 bike/6.1 run/8.3 bike --it's only about 5.5 miles to the house we meet at, but I added on a tad both ways.

All in all a great morning followed by church and prayer group.

Now I have to head to another wake - we lost one of our founding members of TriFury to brain cancer this week. So sad. She was an amazing woman who didn't learn to swim until she was 50 yrs young then went on to not only do over 50 triathlons, but she also was the race director for several tri's and did an Ironman at the age of 61!! She was an inspiration and mentor to so many and will be dearly missed.

Jay - hope that vertigo clears up! I know too well how lousy that feels!!

Holly - that knee needs a good talking to!!

denise

...howdy......

90s here

..2-hours wasted scouting a BAD FlyFishing Spot, almost  fell in several times, and hung-up every 3rd cast

then

45-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, pw

.................TheBestPartOfTheDay..........

============

VENT ON-

then there was the OTHER part of the Day

I have two brothers,

My Crazy Brother, and the ''Other One''

got an email

from the OtherOne-

''hey, if you aren't going to use your FUNERAL PLOT can my family have it?''

our family

has been getting ''planted'' in this

cemetary since the 1820's

>>>>>>>>>>Why the Hell would he think I WASN'T GOING TO USE IT?????<<<<<<

after

a few Deep Breaths,

I emailed back

''Don't need it Yet,

but would like to keep it as a Plan B''

VENT OFF-

.......good running guys........

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ps,,,,,,,,,,,,,now you know why I wanted that ''Frontal Lobotomy Kit'' to give as Christmas Presents

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

tomwhite, that's really funny that he figured since you weren't already in it, you apparently weren't planning on using it. Ha! Plan B indeed.

So this is going on day #4 of no running. I am beginning to know how Holly has been feeling, although admittedly I've not missed the miles she has, but yes it's hard. I keep getting up every morning (which in and of itself is a good thing) and hoping to walk without wincing but it hasn't happened yet. The good news? The heel pain/PF symptoms are long gone. The ball of foot tenderness is also gone. What's here is a sharp pain on the top of my foot, just behind the widest part, that strikes when foot is anywhere past midpoint, if that makes sense. So I'm taking these short hobbling steps if I give in to it. Very aggravating. Made an appointment to foot doc, but not until next Friday. I guess that means I can continue to try to improve and if it's getting better I can cancel; if it doesn't get better I have an appointment. I'm just hoping it's not a stress fracture...

On that cheery note, I'll be heading back to the gym for more time on the elliptical today. The good news is I'm getting back to doing some weights and hopefully will keep that up after I'm up and running again.

Erika,

sorry to hear about the foot. Lots if ice and be careful in the gym those dead lifts and such can stress the feet also. I have been concidering joining the planet fitness in the building I work at. Probably will wait for colder weather though. I could use a little weight work again. I think it's been over two years since I had a good gym work out.

3.6 miles in 96 degrees for me tonight. Tomorrow is a SRD and after 3 days of 90s running I have to admit I am looking forward to my morning runs this weekend.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Larry, that is ugly weather, yes mornings are nicer (and calmer too). We had 90 yesterday with the heat index over 100 so I went to the Y, two miles on the TM is enough for me. Ouch, Erika, is this the same foot that has always bothered you? Hope you don't need that appointment after all. Four days is a long non-running streak for you. Tomwhite, I read your post to MrStarr and he laughed as much as I did. That is a good thing. He is still struggling with a lot of things. His heart CT showed an elevated calcium score of 785 so back to the Dr next week for a consult. He also has multiple pulmonary nodules that need to be checked by his PCP.

On Sunday morning I got my 8.5 mile long run in before church, and had a pretty good time, just 6 second off my goal pace for the half. Tonight I was planning to go to the County fair, get mini donuts, a strawberry milkshake and run a charity 5K (but not in that order). I ate a half a bagel, got dressed for the race, stepped outside and went "ugh". The air was thick and raindrops at the ready so I decided to go run my own 5K. I was faster than normal, and had a good time for me. Considering that I never warm up, my splits were OK... 11:12;11:25;10:56 and 10:10 for the last .1 mile. The race didn't start until 7:30 and it was raining pretty good by then but I stayed dry, from the rain anyway. I sure sweat a lot for someone who runs so slowly. Hopefully we will get to the fair this weekend to see the quilts, flowers and get that milkshake!

Funny pics, twocat! Holly, take care of that knee! How does your garden grow? Happy belated anniversary Mariposai.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Erika, so sorry to hear about your foot issues. Easy does it, sistahh.

Another ata boy to Stumpy!!!! Keep on running,

Twocat, the swamp creatures pictures is just awesome!!!

Deez4boys, sorry about your loss. I lossed a dear friend to cancer this week as well. Cancer sucks.

Starruns, 8 miles before church is hard. Way to go girl! I can't wait to meet you in Portland.

Holly, I am starting to worry about your knees. TAKE Even biking compromises the knees.

8 smile miles today. I am starting to embrace the new slow posie-self. I just don't have the time or the desire to do any speed workout to be speedier at Portland, it seems like when I do any speed work, by lower back issues shows up again, so I rather run slow than being injury and not being able to run a marathon.

Experience and accept your new-self, friends.

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard