Masters Running

Sunday "West Coast Starter" Daily (Read 524 times)

This is unbelievable!  A West Coaster starting the daily.

Despite what felt like record temps for us this time of year (mid 70s, fairly humid - very warm for our area), Karen and I had an excellent trail run yestoday.  We got in 19.8 miles in about 5:10.  That, of course, didn't count the 3 (4?) stops at the river so Charlie could cool off.  He doesn't like moving water, so the last time through, she got into the water and shoved him in the deep section to get him to cool off.  The look on his face was - WTH?  I went through about 60+ oz of fluids, ate very regularly, took in 4 salts, and never once felt nauseous, dead-legged, or anything.  It was one of my best runs in awhile.  And Karen did amazingly great, especially considering she just had a 70-mile weekend two weeks ago.

Came around a corner at one point, I was looking off enjoying the view, she says, "Uh . . .," and Charlie takes off like a shot - a bear.  We were yelling like crazy for him, but he was in another world.  Thankfully, the bear had a really good head start on him.  We decided to turn around and go a different direction.

We run on private property, some of it belonging to her co-worker.  A short way from the end, we came across their garden hose.  Oh yeah!  Made very good use of it dousing ourselves and Charlie in cold water.  It . . . felt . . . soooooo . . . good!

Okay - I've said enough.  Have a great Sunday!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...yep, nothing like A BEAR to wake you up during a run.....

FYI

fatozzing,

in The Smokies we are told to run DOWNHILL because Bears have trouble doing that with those shorter forelegs.

I never want to find out if that works.

=========

........90s on The Cumberland Plateau......

....25min of 4/1........came off feeling Sweaty and Righteous.....

..................good running guys.............avoid running Toward anything that can Eat You........

which is also Good Advise

for Running.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

What a great run Leslie,

I love to run trails and seeing wildlife is always a plus. I must say I have never ran across a bear but that would be cool. Glad the dog was slower than the bear though.

6 mile long run for me this Sunday as my base building continues. Great conditions with 68 degrees and a fine mist through the entire run. I felt strong and comfortable the entire way. I should go over 20 miles for the week next week for the first time in along time. As soon as I hit 10 miles for my long runs I can start building my mid week runs. This slow build up is frustrating but  I am hoping for no relapses and maybe some good times by this fall.

Hope everyone has a great day

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

.avoid running Toward anything that can Eat You........

Good advice. Nice runs, all. Thanks for the start, Leslie.

13 humid and rolling miles for me, 9 m/m's.

I've a funny feeling that a nap looms large in my afternoon plans.

Walt

It helps to run with someone slower than you.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

That reminds me of the old woodsman's saying--" you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the guy you're with"

8.6 for me this morning in just an hour and a half.  wanted 10, but knee started complaining at 8 and decided discretion to be the better part of valor today.  the last .4 were walking, so minus that, I stayed right around the 10MM I wanted.  (Actually I want 9MM or less, but I'm in a realistic frame of mind a the moment )  The 13/1 is looming in less than 2 weeks and finishing is all I care about.  No matter what I do, it will be a PR and I'm not too proud to give myself a LOT of room for improvement next time around.

Thanks for the feeding feedback of last week.  I think it's probably true that I don't actually need anything but water for a half or long runs leading up to it.  I have decided that I'd rather be a little over nourished at the end, than a little under. so my experiment of today was salted Swedish fish, since I figured on a sweaty day, and thought I'd see how that worked.  I may have overdone the salt a bit, but after a couple of feedings, no adverse effects.  Down 4 lbs which included about 16-24oz of liquid and 6 fish.

TW--I got the sweaty part down pat today, but the righteous part continues to elude me.  It may come one of these days.

Nice long runs so far folks, hope everyone that follows will be the same. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Renee the dog

Bears and prudent mileage build ups -- good stuff here so far today!

I, of course, am not prudent. I did 8 miles today in the heat and humidity -- around 80 ºF and started at 100% H (down to about 79% H at the end).  Took one pint of water with me after returning Renee after mi 2.  Wasn't enough.  With about 2 mi to go, I was dying so I headed over the seawall (tide was receeding) and ran back and forth barefoot in the surf on an "occasional" beach that's about 1/2 of a mile long when the tide goes out.  The water temp might be up to 67ºF, which really helped regulate my overheating body.  

Have a great rest of your Sunday, folks!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

TomW - I'm a good downhill runner, so I'll have to keep that in mind.

And Ev - Karen was slower than me yesterday, so . . . . .

Some good running around here today.  Stumpy, glad you listened to your knee and didn't push it.

Got 10 miles in this a.m. in a few seconds short of 1:50.  Happy with that as it included some power walking breaks and three climbs.  Nothing significant, but tiring from yesterday.  Also this a.m. I was sooo very happy that I wear 2 pairs of socks when running.  Was out in the middle of nowhere when "it" hit me.  I almost always carry baby wipes with me when I run this route specifically 'cause there are no bathrooms. *sigh* I had no choice in the matter.  I was about 1/4 miles from my boss' house, but when I went by it didn't look like anybody was up and moving or I'd have backtracked and begged to use their bathroom.

Also, I think my climb through the trees gave me a fairly good dosing of pollen 'cause now my eyes/nose/ears/throat are driving me nuts.  Bleh.

Off to chow on a bagel then hit Costco.  The Hub's off doing his meat smoking thing with friends, so I have the place to myself all day.  Nice.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sweaty running here too, but the cloud cover was nice to have while running.

6 miles at 10:30 am including the 4.8 mile Lake Wyola race---first woman in 33:06. 15th overall out of 150---a baked goods double race weekend for me---won $25 and a homemade blueberry coffee cake (yesterday's giant choc. chip cookie prize got devoured by the kiddo). The race is 30 years-old and a great community event. The course runs counter clockwise around Lake Wyola (Shutesbury, MA) and you climb for about 1.8 miles up an 11% grade, butt kicker hill and then you get to scream down the other side of the lake. Great fun. Dr. J did well too and chopped 4 minutes off her prior time at this race. We're actually planning to run again tonight with all sorts of kid activity in between. no time for a nap today. boo hoo.

Nice running Leslie and I am sure glad you didn't have to test the TW method of bear escape!

Feeling Righteous indeed TW...good on you!

A Saucy Wench

It's official.  I'm here. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hurray Ennay! Glad you are here (does this also mean that we should be singing Happy Birthday?!)

Only a runner would put a smiley face on that!!!  Congratulations (I think) on making it. 

6.2 mile group run, slow pace but not easy, too much H, H, H  Could have used some of Larry's mist

Glad you are feeling righteous tom 

CNY congrats on yet another great performance.  Maybe a coffee cake race is what I need for more motivation 

I have never had to deal with bears. Did see a fresh steamy & smelly warning sign on the trail around the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone but didn't see a bear. 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I look my best blurry!

G'day everyone.  10 mi mostly on grass and track to help my numb shins?  What is that?  Swelling is going down in DS's face!  Getting very colorful.   Unusual and not particularly attractive shades of blue-green.  

CNY- Woo Hoo!  Again and again!  

My sister just won the Master's in a 5K yesterday!  I don't know her time.  Got the news from my mom.  (who called on her home phone to tell me she lost the cell phone I bought her.  )  I need to get her on RA!   So cool!

lamerunner

Good afternoon. Some great runs today! CNY, nice racing. Very speedy and cookies are a  nice prize. I agree with Aamos on the plate of cookies as a restaurant dessert. Leslie, great job on the distance!!

I ended up running about 16 on the Massabesic Rail trail. Kind of eased into it without planning to run that far. No water, phone, garmin or anything except shoes and car key. Just the way I like it. Very humid though, but cool enough in low 60s. Most of the trail is in decent shape, though there are sections with annoying 2 x 2 inch rocks. Manchester Water Works maintains the Manchester end of the trail... they are not athletes. It is better thisyear in general with fewer new rocks. The main trail surface is crushed ash which is nice.  Everything is very green.

Helping DS finish up his state report. He did Wyoming.  He is hard at work.  Yesterday we watched the US v. England soccer match,  which was fun.  Did not know about the track meet.   A few of the girls from DD's high school ran in the HS  New England Championships yesterday, including a senior girl who ran a 4:47 mile!! She won and was just off the 25 year old meet record.   Pretty impressive. She then  had to get a plane home for graduation! .

Have a great Sunday!

Marathon Maniac #957

Very kewl and Happy Birthday!  I LOVE the pink boxing gloves of Doom!

CNYrunner – excellent racing weekend for you and for DS, too!

Leslie – nice run yesterday, especially with no nausea issues, and I’m glad your extra running socks came in handy…

Kameele – nice run for you, too!

Nono – are there water fountains on the beach at any point that you can use as a centerpoint to your run?

Lamerunner - 4:47 - wow!

7 slow and gentle miles (10:42) on the TM this morning watching Pandorum – a spooky sci-fy thriller with Dennis Quaid.  I love Dennis Quaid.

Had a wonderful evening with friends last night, first dinner here followed by an excellent concert at an outdoor venue.  Thunderstorms were in the forecast, but thankfully waited until after we got home.  Our friend took this with his cellphone right before the concert started.  (Notice the rain poncho pile - we came prepared...)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."