Masters Running

Thu Apr 17 (Read 464 times)

I'm back from our sweat shop in Nevada. I've been training, but working too hard to read or post here. But there's this race up north east we need to go to, so I had to come home. So sad Roll eyes Easy run this morning -- 4 miler. I had to hold back -- that's a good thing with the race on Monday. A little cooler here than in NV... Workout: 3.1 miles, 8:46 /mi, AHR 141 Overall: 4.1 miles, 35:10 Good runs -- we're traveling tomorrow so have a great weekend!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Welcome back Lou - we missed you!! Out for 3.75 with Brinkley this morning. I remembered to take his collar off - but he was still hesitant to run out of the driveway. It was a balmy 50 degrees today with fairly strong wind out of the South - but not as strong as yesterday's winds. I got to wear my new capri's and wish I had put out a short sleeve shirt. My curls kept falling out of my pony tail and fell into the lamp light - looked like I was running with a big tree branch on my head when looking at the shadow. Happy Thoisday!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Greetings from Atlanta, Nice start to the day Lou and Mary. A tree branch?! I am giggling now. Sometimes when the sun hits just right my shadow is this tall and lanky thing running along and then I catch a glimpse of the real reflection. Whoops. I hadn't planed to run today but decided to trot for a couple of miles on the hotel treadmill just to get the airplane-sitting lead out and it does reduce the sleep puffiness in my eyes. The gentleman on the treadmill thought I was crying with all the moisture on my face. He asked if I was okay. Oh dear...just the dry air and my aging eyes. Interesting article in today's NY Times about speed work. The featured athlete is Sara Hall. Check it out...makes me ponder the summer plan as I focus on shorter road races before choosing the next marathon. Great reading over the past few days folks---! Have a good day. Karin

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good Morning! Brinkley is a fast study! Dress rehearsal day but too cold for the singlet attire (37F). 7.2 miles in 1:02:24 (8:39 pace, AHR 153) including 2 miles at MP with felt like simply gliding along. I like that groove. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Hopeful - Big grin Evryday – Boston does have an Internet tracking feature, but my kids will both be in school during my run. Today I had a FABULOUS run (jeesh, about time)! 47 degrees meant I dug out my Marathon Girl running skirt and headed out in bare legs. I think my problem with speed is that I may be unable to run fast in long pants. I mean it. It is so bizarre how much freer and faster I feel running bare-legged. Might just be the colder temps that necessitate long pants just suck the life right out of me. JJJ’s comment yesterday about 4/4 running (I always do 2/2 running) had me wondering if I could have diminished lung capacity from my 15 years of smoking cigarettes (I quit 12 years ago, when I got pregnant), and if so, cold air would increase that difficulty. 6.1 miles today, ave pace for the run 8:40 (MP is 8:45), ave HR 148. I felt GOOD! This was the first time in 2008 that I have been able to put together 6 miles at MP or better. As I ran, I visualized running Boston, saw myself chugging confidently up Heartbreak Hill, triumphantly achieving the summit and flying down the otherside. Now, 3 days of rest, and maybe I can add 20 more MP miles to that. Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Yay daddy beer is back. did you find your light bulbs? (probably need an SJ around to keep track of them) what's beerdog going to do while you 2 are is Boston? that's funny about your shadow Mary. disconcerting, isn't it? poor Brinkley. maybe you could take him out there some time during the day & go back & forth a bunch of times with yummy spam distractions. (drom, see what you've done?) CNY, I had the same shadow on a route I used to do, it was a boost for the return loop! from yesterday, thanks Perch & Holly. it's a relief to be headed in the right direction. I'm so glad both of you had great runs today!! evryday, I've been thinking about that Boston tracking thing too. thanks for the reminder. Berger Byll, wasn't it you that started & kept up that thread we used during the race? While 'working'? I really did update my pc's memory at work just in time for this, if I remember correctly you could track 4 or 5 racers at a time, so needed to have a lot of windows open. shouldn't Doug be back from vacation by now? Erika, nice progression run! I keep hoping when you get home the weather's better. I have to admit, I skip the ball stuff, & keep hoping someone doesn't slip other things into those paragraphs. This morning I did 2 yoga dvd's, (just 20 min. each), am sitting on ice while I type. this afternoon I'll do proprioceptive + explosive running exercises. BTB, I'm not ignoring your question about that, found a couple of links I'll send to you. btw, how are you??? did your yesterday get better before it ended? starting now sending out good vibes to all racers.
                Another big fat zero today aliitle better but cannot talk at all sinus does seem better but my throat is killing me. I can't hardly swallow. Run long run well marathon D

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, I needed sunglasses on my way back today...it's gonna get hot soon! 10.15 miles of hills (MOH) @ 8:59 pace. Enjoy the spring weather today!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Hey Derrick, I sure hope you feel better soon. Deebee, I will look for your afternoon report. And you look for mine... I hope to row and bosu later. 0530 39 F 2.5 miles to the track 2.5 miles on the track 2.5 miles away from the track mile 1: 9:37 mile 2: 9:07 mile 3: 9:34 (stopped to take off reflective vest) mile 4: 9:09 mile 5: 8:54 mile 6: 10:13 (stopped to put on reflective vest) mile 7: 9:44 last point five: 9:21 pace
                    LaVita
                      Good moring Boomers. Another good weather day here except, like Mary, it's really windy. Must be the day to run and feel good. 6.5 miles in 59:10 this morning with 5 minutes of jumping rope after the run. Had "Road House Blues" by The Doors on my Ipod while jumping, then a little "Jump" by VanHalen - very appropriate. CNY Runner - I know what you mean about eye puffiness. Running really helps to eliminate that. All the young chicklets on RA probably don't have that problem yet! WRFB - welcome back! In case we don't hear from you until after the race, run strong and run well! you and PDR are so ready for this. The best of luck to both of you. That goes for you as well, Holly. Good luck and I know Heartbreak Hill will be a piece of cake for you (speaking of cake - you can celebrate with some!) The kids will be fine. Be prepared, they will totally guilt you out when you leave (know this from LOTS of experience), but 5 minutes after you're gone, they'll be off doing kid things, no worse for wear. Btb - awesome pictures you posted yesterday. I think you could have a second career as a photographer! I've been reading the posts about our Boston people's plans to meet up, have dinner, hang out. I'm excited - and jealous! Here's wishes that the race is everything you all hoped it would be. Great Thursday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                      btb1490

Morning everyone! Another busy day ahead, so my apologies for not being able to do my usual note to everyone. I am reading all your great posts though! Smile I took another great foggy hike this morning. I can't tell you how much I appreciate these moments. I hope you don't mind me sharing a few photos again. See if you can figure this one out. It's an irrigation pipe, dripping with the morning dew. You can see a reflection in it of the eastern sky horizon starting to glow red from the soon to rise sun. I wasn't alone out there.... Good morning! Tall shadows. I love how the morning sun enhances the colors. Interesting phenominon of the "halo" of light around my shadow. It followed me wherever I went. Can anyone explain why that is? Hidden pumphouse. Future wine trying to hide. Silhouettes On Tuesday, in unrelated but almost simultaneous occurances, two family members with long standing health issues for which I have been helping care for needed hospitalization. One probably will not be around much longer. So my days have been busy with all the related stuff that goes along with this. Thank goodness for the morning hikes. I had my doubts about being able to go to Boston, but was told by my dying caretaker "that life is WAY TOO SHORT, so don't give it the satisfaction of taking it too seriously. Lighten the load and ENJOY!" Good advice at any time. I hope I can face death as positively as he does. Church members from my awesome congregation have almost immediately stepped up to help, for which I am eternally grateful. Barring unforseen circumstances, with a lump in my throat and a half of a heart, I'll be heading to Boston tomorrow. I have to get going, duty calls. Look around and see all there is to enjoy and appreciate. Smile
                          {{{{BTB}}}} Lou-Welcome Back and Good Luck on Monday!!! Holly-Could you do me a favor? You are running so well right now,could you please not run over the people in front of you at Boston!!!You RAWK!!! Me,yep 5 more miles in the bank,some quick bits thrown in just to keep it interesting...
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

BTB - gorgeous pictures! I loved the ones you posted yesterday too. That halo on your shadow is self-explanatory! {{{Hugs}}} ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning everyone! Welcome back WRFB!! {{{BTB}}} Hang in there and do live your life well every day. Your pictures from yesterday and today are beautiful. I get to see another world (I mainly see McMansions and palm trees here). Bruce, I am leaning toward doing that Lomita 10K Wink but I can't drink beer (can eat alot of cake, though) Tongue Holly, that's great it was warm enough to wear a running skirt! Get well soon marathon derrick. JJJ, glad you got to try out some new trail shoes. I would like to get more into trail running but Tetsujin pointed out my street shoes aren't OK for that. So I started asking around but am confused. The runner shoe place doesn't sell trail shoes, and REI shoe dept. here is staffed by hikers not runners. Can you (and others) offer me some advice on trail shoes? If there is any info on what regular running shoes map to trail shoes, I'd appreciate it. For example, what would be the trail equivalent of a neutral cushion shoe like the Asics Nimbus? Reading reviews on Zappos is amusing ("oooh, I love the COLOR", "they make my feet look small" " the brown hides the dirt" ) but not helpful. Ran 4 fun miles yesterday around the neighborhood, so today it's a tune up XT session with my personal trainer. I'm usually pretty sore when she's through with me but it's all good. Have a good day fun people!
                              seemomgo

Welcome back Lou! Holly, I am glad your weather warmed up enough for leg showing! We have snow,but it is sunny and bright and melting like crazy. 3 miles running, half hour on eliptical and 20 minutes on bike. I am a sweaty mess and off to the showers!