Masters Running

Race Reports for the 10/6&7 weekend (Read 32 times)

Mariposai

Wishing our weekend warriors a fun race. May you find joy in your finisher's medal Smile

10/07 TammyinGP - Condor 25K trail run, Corvallis, OR

10/07 mariposai - Victoria Marathon, Victoria, BC

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

spinach

I got in a race for October. This now gives me 199 consecutive months.  November will be a big one. The race was Harvest Fest 5k in Becker MN. It was a cold morning for the run.  My time was 22:12 and i finished third overall and first in the 60+ group.  It was a cross country run on dirt trails through the woods. We have had a lot of rain this week so it was a pretty muddy course.  I am happy.

I needed to get the race in this weekend because I have doctor appointment on Monday morning about my knee problem and I wanted to get the race in before he tells me not to run. I fear I have torn my knee ligaments again.  I guess i will see what happens on Monday but I got October over. I will definitely get in November for 200 months even if I need to use my crutches. That race is put on by my Orthopedic Center so if I mess up my knee again in the race I will be at the right location to have it fixed. Also that race will be the only race that I have run every year during the streak.

Marathon Maniac #957

I needed to get the race in this weekend because I have doctor appointment on Monday morning about my knee problem and I wanted to get the race in before he tells me not to run.

Spoken like a true runner...  Speedy 5k!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Congrats on 199, Spinach!

I racewalked the Great island 5K in New Castle, NH this morning. At the start, it was about 66°, cloudy with peaks of sun, and muggy. I got off to a decent start, but had two runners near me who would speed up every once in a while so that I couldn't get away. But i stayed with it and eventually got ahead of them enough that I never saw them again. I had a good first mile at 10:34, but then lost my focus somewhat and ballooned up to 10:50. I brought it back down some in mile 3 but the damage was done, and at 33:25, this was my PW at this race. But it was good enough for 1st in the walker div, and I scored a fleece half-zip for my efforts. I got to spend some time with some good friends, and met the RD from the 10K I did last weekend, so it was a good day, despite my slow time.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

TammyinGP

well done Spinach!  I'm sure I've been to Becker before. sounds familiar. Probably to visit a family cousin or something when I was a kid. seems with an extended family with as many cousins as my mother has, we probably have some kind of relative just about everywhere in MN.

Jay, sorry it was a PW for you but I'm still in awe of your RW pace! 

I ran a tough trail race this weekend. It was sort of an excuse to see my son since I'm now scoping out races to do up in Corvallis. lol.  Running is fabulous up there. They have the McDonald-Dunn forest which hosts a few different races I think. These were probably some of the best trails I've run on. I love all the ferns and just the "dampness" in that forest compared to how hot and dry our trails out down here. It was a welcome change of scenery. 
            I had no idea what to expect with this one, or how fast the field would be. It said the elevation change would be about 2700 and that didn't seem too awfully bad because I've done some long runs here that top out in the 3000-4000 ft elev change range.

I underestimated.  This course was a constant rolling of up and down. Never more than about 1/3 mile of flat at a time. There was some power hiking involved!
            A very low key, no frills race that started at the OSU Forestry Cabin in Peavy Arborteum. Homemade breads and fruit were the menu choices at the start and finish. Single track trails and a few areas of crushed granite roads.

Weather was mid 40's to start, very foggy and some misty rain to start. Maybe low 50s at the finish. Perfect running temps although humidity much higher than I'm used to so air felt thick and I was sweating so much only 1 mile in!  lol. 
            My finish time was slow. I told DH to expect me sometime in the 3 to 3.5 hr range but I still had about 4 miles to go after 3 hrs, so I knew I'd be late and he'd be worried. And he was. My time was 3:42:50 and I was 128/145. That placement actually surprised me because I was running alone for probably 2/3 of the race or more and figured I was back of the pack for sure. My AG was 10/11, so not so hot there. 
            Great race though and one I would definitely go back for next year.

Image may contain: tree, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky

Tammy

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Waiting to hear about Mariposai and her friend!

What a great race for Spinach!  It's good that Spinach likes mud.

JayWalker?  Really? Your race-walking pace is faster than I can even imagine.  Nice win!

Great photos, Tammy.  Thanks for sharing the race report, too. Tough competition in your age group.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

evanflein

Geez, Spinach, you run a really fast 5k on muddy trails with a bad knee! Hope it's not as bad as you suspect, and congrats on 199! That's impressive.

And yes, Jay's pace at race walking is extremely impressive. I just can't imagine. Well done wearing down the surging runners!

Wow, Tammy, that trail looks beautiful! Was it muddy? Looks like it could be slippery if muddy. Nice job on tackling that rolling course!

TammyinGP

Erika, for the most part the trail was excellent, but we did run on a newer portion of the trail that was just completed 2 yrs ago so parts of that were a bit "fresher" and I got a bit of mud caked on the bottom of my shoes. but it wasn't too bad. a couple times I brushed the bottoms of my shoes off on a mossy patch.

Tammy

Mariposai

Victoria Marathon 2018, my 44th marathon, my friend Heidi's first.

The beginning:

The journey began when a friend asked me if I would join her in her journey to train and run her first marathon. She is a very strong athlete, but not a long distance runner. I was at the time just coming out of knee injury, so I figured training with her would be a safe way to start building my base again for the marathon distance.

The path to getting fit to run 26.2 miles was not easy, but we made it fun. I created a training plan that would allow us to finish a marathon in about 6 hours. Low easy miles plus long runs on the weekends that went from 10k to 20 miles.

Here is a picture of our first 10k running back in March of this year.

The journey to her first marathon victory lap allowed us to witness sunrises together.

sunrises...

sunny afternoon delights and dark hours dealing with my friend's PF and knee issues...but thru the journey, we persevered, modified our plan and most importantly, we believed in our ability to conquer the mile and achieve our dream...

The Victoria marathon was a perfect venue for a first marathon. Well organized, flat, great race course, and the friendliest race support ever.

The goal was to get to the finish line before the race course closed, which is the level of fitness my first time marathoner had going into the race. We achieved our goal with four minutes to spare!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

Posai - great report - congrats to both of you

Tammy - what a beautiful trail and great pix

Spinach - greta race

Jay - you're amazing to watch in a race!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Posai - great report - congrats to both of you

Tammy - what a beautiful trail and great pix

Spinach - greta race

Jay - you're amazing to watch in a race!

I would add a very enthusiastic ^5 to all of what Marj said!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Well done Nancy! Helping a friend train for and finish a first marathon is priceless and she picked the perfect training and running partner to achieve that goal!  congratulations 

Tammy

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Loved your race report, dear Nancy!

Thanks for bringing us along on your friend's journey!

Lovely photos!  Glad you all adapted your running to the circumstances!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Thanks, all. She said she isn't as sore as she expected but thinks it will get worse!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

this was my PW at this race. But it was good enough for 1st in the walker div, and I scored a fleece half-zip for my

Sweet!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."