Masters Running

Cold Sunday 11/14/2021 (Read 35 times)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all,

I got out for 6+ miles this morning around 7 AM. Temps were a balmy 32F at the start with feel like temps/wind chill around 28F. It was almost a 20-30 degree drop from the past few days.  So I broke out the winter gear for the first time this fall, i.e., hat, gloves, tights, jacket, etc.   After I got out there I found it was not as cold as I expected.

Have a great Sunday.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

BTY

Nice start Shadow Runner.   Nice to see you posting more these days.   

probably no exercise for me today.  Special day for me as I got to do the scripture reading at church this morning.   I’ve taken on the scheduling of the readers and readings over the past three years or so, which I confess I like; but I love reading.   

Now I’m sitting in a Burger King about 10 minutes away from church.  I just dropped DS2 there so he could hear one of our friends preach at a church practically next door.  Our friend used to be our church’s youth minister and was without doubt the best preacher we had but due to reasons beyond me he left but took on the job of 5th grade teacher at our school.   I hate church politics.  

Hope to get back in the pool tomorrow.

Thanks for the start, shadow. Wintry here too today with steady snow falling but not sticking except for some sparse white patches on the shingles. Still a warning...

Congratulations on your teams' performances, Mike! And to their coach too, obviously.

I did a pair of virtual rides this morning, one of 7.11 miles in Perth and then teleported to go 4.6 miles around Lake Ontake in Nagano, Japan (Tet: ever been there or hear of it?). Both routes were basically flat with one big hump in the Ontake ride. I'll find something more challenging for next time.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Everyone busy today?

We had a nice rainy cold front through yesterday evening so a little brisk for today’s reservation stroll. 2-3/4 miles in the sun and a lot of puddles to avoid.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Thanks for the start, shadow. Yep, similar temperature drop here.

Falcon--I forgot to mention that I saw your post about meeting up 4 years ago. Wow, time flies.

Dave--your Sabres matched up pretty well against two top teams.  That's something. We're up against Falcon's Penguins tonight (which sounds a little funny when I put it that way), with a likely return of Crosby to the lineup.

BTY--as essentially a non-swimmer, I'm always impressed by your distance swims. Nicely done.

Mike--congrats on such a successful year for all the family members. That's great about State appearances and Ryan's award, too.

Do we need to form a Leslie search party?

It was in the mid-20s when I woke up today, too cold to ride in my book.  I waited until it warmed up to the upper 30's and headed out for 21.7 pleasant miles. First bundle-up ride of the season but I prepared well. It felt very New Englandy today: cool temps, colorful foliage, and big dark clouds that would signal snow if it were colder.

I've got a nice little fire in the wood stove and plan to get some reading done this afternoon...though that might devolve into a nap at some point.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

bioguy

Mike- congrats to the xcountry teams and their coach!

I ran 5.3 and included some really fast paced walks as part of taper week. Weather forecast for next Saturday is improved as we were looking at a pretty good chance of rain next weekend.

Report card grades need to be finalized; I also need to get a lab setup, but a nap is calling too.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

bio - at least on the weekends, it's okay to taper from school too.

\

. . . teleported to go 4.6 miles around Lake Ontake in Nagano, Japan (Tet: ever been there or hear of it?).

Roch - neat.  However, that's a long way to teleport for 4.6 miles of riding.  With a friend from Nagano who introduced me to all the good Nagano ski areas, I've been there a lot but only know the steeps and mountains, never been down to the flatland lakes or rice fields.  1998 Winter Olympics were there too.  Maybe later on when you get more in shape in your Peleton season, it might be fun to try some of the hors categories they might have for Nagano or other places. Be sure to take some pictures if you get by Shiga-Kogen Ski Area.

Also, in case it's on your options, my 1987 IMJ was down at Lake Biwa and the limited training I did for it was down at the nearby OI-Futou (docks) that were empty of container trucks but full of elite cyclists riding the perimeter on Sundays.  Otherwise, though I've never done it as very dangerous with all the sharp curves, steep climbs vs. speeding drivers coming down on the wrong side of the road, rocks and rock slides killing people, etc. (to say nothing of Mt. Fuji getting ready to erupt again for the first time since 1707), maybe try the Fuji Subaru Road up to the Fifth Station main start of the climb up Mt. Fuji or the part of the old Tokaido Road the samurai used to use that goes up to Hakone Pass I've run in marathons but is extremely narrow and dangerous without any shoulders next to rock overhangs so much you could reach out your arm and get wiped out by the trucks coming up next to you so probably not on any cycle list.  Still one of my most unbelievable marathon experiences running much of the way with a blind runner and his guide one-in-front-of-the-other instead of side-by-side.

I was not much of a runner in my youth, so . . . I have very low performance expectations now... I am just happy to be able to get outside for some exercise!

Moebo - me too.

Kind of nice, though, not to have any of the expectations that have caused the early retirements of the good runners who couldn't get over being used to be winning their AG's in those days while, thanks to the advice of an older runner just when I was so discouraged with running I was going to quit (erika - Marcie Trent), I was more than happy with the good outdoor exercise I wouldn't have otherwise done regardless of what everyone else thought about someone who didn't care about winning that I'd had enough of in my skiing days.

Holly - at this stage, no excuse is too feeble to fabricate a little rest time on the trails and stairs, especially if it requires some pick-and-shovel work that gets me even more tired than keeping on running but, at least, it provides an even better excuse for being so slow.

BTY--as essentially a non-swimmer, I'm always impressed by your distance swims. Nicely done. 

BTY - me too but, as an unabashed non-swimmer who, for the last 20 years, and most of the 20 before that, tried it once-a-year for annual triathlons that the pandemic brought to an end for me in 2020, I'm always impressed by your huge distance swims, this time 6,000 yards (3.4 miles) and already aiming for 7,000 yards.  ps - happy anniversary too.

Do we need to form a Leslie search party? 

same as Leslie interrupted her ultra volunteering last time to look for an overdue running, sign me up to go out for her too.

Two miles of Hillside circuits in November wind and rain but strangely mildly warm at 55F like moebo-land too getting ready for more of the same but colder and more hypothermic winter running in December, January, February and March enjoying the fruits of my yesterday’s maintenance labors filling in the eroding banks on the slippery, risky downside doggy path alongside of the 33 step staircase I like.

Funny how 55F that seemed so cold in October seems warm now.

Should’ve gone running this afternoon, though, instead of this morning so I wouldn’t have to watch the league-leading Packers’ offense demolish Seattle’s league worst defense putting them so solidly in last place that they could probably win the rest of the season’s games and still not make the playoffs same as the Packers are leading their division so much they could probably lose the rest of their games and still go on and win the SuperBowl (which I think it’s about time they do anyway).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for the start, Shadow.    I knew bioguy was running 5.3 so I ran 5.4!  It was a nice fall day by the time I got out there, which was 11 am.  Boy, do I lose the motivation to get up and out the door when it's colder! Of course, the 15 hour car trip and not getting to bed until midnight didn't help.  It was a little windy, but a nice fall day and then all of a sudden the clouds moved in and it wasn't nearly as pretty.  Picked up a couple of frozen casseroles that I ordered from a church fundraiser and not I'll continue my efforts to un-vacation myself and the house.

My personal season opener for Vandy basketball is tonight.  The official first game was Wednesday, but I was gone.  I'm optimistic, once again, although the new big guy is injured and may be out for a bit- if not the whole season.  We can't have nice things.

The verdict on the electric car on that trip is a solid thumbs down from me and even a reluctant one from Ken.  He thinks it's too long for one day (for us) even with a gas car, but to me 12-13 hours is tough but doable.  15 is not.  The dinner stop/charging stop in Kennasaw, GA was a nightmare.  There were a number of places to eat, and we plugged in the car and headed off on foot through this crowded parking lot and shopping area to pick one.  Well, with the worker shortage, there were lots of empty tables and not enough help and the waits were too long for us. We weren't really safe where we were walking to get from place to place (cars- not bad guys) and it was really cold.  We finally begged our way inside a Chik Fil A (no indoor dining there due to worker shortage), ordered and carried it back to the still-charging car.  We had one more charging stop after that in desolate Manchester, TN.  Not a fun day, but I didn't yell at Ken.  I think we learned a lesson.  The Tesla infrastructure is better and the Teslas charge faster than the Bolt does.   I think a trip of maybe half that distance (this was 600 miles) would work.  BUT- we made it safely.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

moebo

KSA, I did 5.4 today too! Interesting to hear about your long distance trip with the Bolt. I would really like to try an electric car, but last time I needed to upgrade (summer 2020) they were still out of my price range, so I settled on a Honda Insight hybrid. Love it but my next car will definitely be full eclectic.

Bio, thanks for the start. I hope your toe was okay on that run today! I Fingers crossed it doesn’t bother you during the 50-miler. Good luck with your report card grades, never my favorite teacher task. I was doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago, glad not to have to do it again until 2022...

Mike, I love to hear about your family’s athletic accomplishments. Congratulations!

After my run today, I realized that it was my fourth day in a row. I felt great, but I think next week I should dial it back a little. Better safe than sorry.

wildchild

Carolyn

You only have to go as far as FB to find Leslie, but I'll let her pop in and tell her own story!  She did greta!  

I met some Dirt Divas friends for a 12 mile trail run this morning.  Shorts and tee shirts weather down there, but cold and windy at home.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps

Glad to hear Leslie's accounted for.

Dave, losing 18 in a row is only one more than what the Lions might "achieve" this year, beating their previous 0-16 record only because they added a game to the schedule.

Well, they didn't lose.

Be safe. Be kind.

I don't see any posts from Leslie on Facebook about the run!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MurrayM

4K today.

Will be running 5 days a week, up from three days a week which I've been doing for the last year.

Dare to Dream...50K sometime in May/June.

wildchild

Carolyn

I don't see any posts from Leslie on Facebook about the run!

Oh, you're right, she mentioned it in a private group. I'll bug her to come over to RA and tell you guys about it!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Will be running 5 days a week . . .

Murray - huh? Five days a week?  . . . up there in the coastal rainbelt?  especially in the cold, wet, windy, stormy, hypothermic winter?  Do you have a gym or TM option?  What does DW say, . . . or are you brave enough to tell her?   Are you crazy, . . . or just a regular, tough Canuck?

ps - lf Leslie is too tired, traveling, etc. to post herein, I'm sure she would appreciate anyone in her FB group copy/pasting for her.  Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)