Masters Running

40s On the Run - It is the One Who Endures . . . (Wk of 05/25/08) (Read 463 times)

“Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes.” ( Buddha) I'm here but briefly to stated . . . . I DID IT!!! I FREAKING DID IT!! It was so damn hard, and I wanted to quit so many times, but because of Karen's sister, Kate, I DID IT!! There will definitely be more later, but right now I'm having a hard time staying away from Le Toilette. Beginning Fashion Report: White Nike Hat, pink shirt, black shorts, hot pink gators, green Vasquez trail running shoes. Ending Fashion Report: Mud, Blood, Poop, Pee, Puke, Sweat, and lots of Tears!!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Holy Cow Leslie that sounds incredibly tough,a big Congrats and take care of yourself!!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ultrachick

WooHoo Leslie! I looked at the results and saw you finished!! Savor every moment of this accomplishment! I can't wait to hear about the mud & blood! Big grin Kelly
        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
          “Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes.” ( Buddha) Ending Fashion Report: Mud, Blood, Poop, Pee, Puke, Sweat, and lots of Tears!!
          You had me at me. Can't wait to read.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Way to go Leslie! You did it Smile Yep, we need details when you're up to it. And we will be needing those BB reports, too. Go Cindy, Jim, and Linda!!! Isn't this fun? Been easing back into running this week, some with dogs, some with hubby. Trying to decide on a goal to get me through the summer here. One option is to ramp up amd try for the White Rock Half...the one I missed last year due to injury. The other is to sign up for a "camp" for folks like me with diabetes who enjoy being active. http://www.diabetestrainingcamp.com/ I'm interested in the one at Snowmass in Sept, but cost and altitude are factors in that decision. Of course if there was a 40's meetup somewhere, that could be another option. Anyway, we'll see...dreaming is part of the fun....
            Progress Trumps Pefection

Queen of 3rd Place

Damn, Leslie, that's a heck of a "fashion report"! Maybe we don't need pics for this one Dead Waiting breathlessly for the report! Seems like I've missed a lot! Just getting back in the swing of things after a weeklong visit from mom followed by a few days off. I feel sooo out of it and unmotivated, having mom underfoot for a week was a bit much... Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Way to Go Leslie !!! Shocked You are one tough cookie !!! Can't wait to hear the details. Cool Jim/ Lynda and Cindy , how'd it go for you? ~ Happy Memorial Day to All our Vets ~

flatland mountaineer

Really fun race, then we had a good time going to lunch with MtnChick and husband. More Later. Oh and Lynda pr'ed of course as it was her first 10k race.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Ditto....recovering.....WONDERFUL time w/Jim & Lynda....specially since they seemed to tolerate my "motor mouth!!" Big grin Doug also PR'd (1st 10K) but, we're not sure by how much....still looks like BB site is "under construction" .....Oh! & guess I'm 38 yrs old... Surprised (DH is still giggling/delighted over that) more on that also ~ later....
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Excellent you Guys!! Can't wait to hear about it !!!!

Ultrachick

Hey Everyone, hope you all are having a good day. I'm getting ready to go teach a lunch time circuit training class and was checking to see if any race reports had been posted yet and saw we were moving down the list of threads so this post is just to keep us near the top. It's filled with a whole lot of nothing. After class I'll go get my run in on the rec path that goes along Lake Champlain-a nice tempo run always feels good after doing squats, lunges, push ups. It takes me a couple miles to get moving but then all is good. I've got a trail marathon on Sunday! I'm looking to break 5 hours this year-5:05 last year. Like I said-a post full of nothing. Have you run yet today? Kelly
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                          Jim, Lynda, and Cindy - Congrats on your BB runs! Cindy - And look how much younger it made you?!? Big grin Am looking forward to reading your reports, and will be posting one myself soon. We drove back from Portland yesterday. Didn't leave 'til about 11:00 and got home around 8:00. Sorry, but didn't feel like hooking up on the ole computer and writing. Wink Did a 3-mile easy run today. A couple of times one of my legs would flip up behind me and whack me upside the head, asking me what the heck I was doing out there. Both hamstrings are fairly tight, and I will need to stretch those good over the next few days, and my left calf is sore. But besides feeling tired, not feeling too bad. Kelly - Good luck on the marathon. Hoping to break 5 hours?? Shocked You go, girlfriend!!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

RR: " 30th annual Bolder Boulder: Wet, wild, wacky...." http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/may/27/30th-bolder-boulder-wet-wild-wacky/ For some folks, this weekend is a serious annual race....for others, it's a giant block party winding through the neighborhoods of Boulder! For those of us 1st timers, either way, it's quite an experience! 50,040 registered. 48,995 finishers! From the children, elderly & wheelchairs to the elites & professionals & a coupla Olympians!....Lots of costumes, bands, characters & the occasional "beer aid stations" along the route, the "visual" of finishing in Folsom Field, Expo amenities...I know I didn't take nearly enough pictures, so I'm grateful for all of the media coverage Wink ......three days out, the weather forecast called for mild, dry conditions temps L-47/H-76....by 24hrs out, they'd changed it to "chance of light, late day showers" Actual: all day mist-drizzle interspersed w/steady cold light rain! the day's high temp I believe was @ 5am - 53*F! Most of the leading waves (incl. Farmer Jim) had the 50*/lgt mist conditions...actually perfect running weather! although, not the best spectator nor post run weather....I was most of the way through the course before I had more significant form to the raindrops.... Up @4:45 (not great sleep again!), dressed & coffee in hand ~ headed up to Boulder...on one hand, we can see that it's rained overnight so the humidity is up, but it's warmer than the predicted 44* & Boulder is an hour away.... DH & I were in the same wave start, but had already chatted about "running our own race" Both of us were a little stiff from the week's activities so it was a good thing that we had to park 1.5 miles from the starting area & jogged in...had plenty of time to find the mobile lockers, porta potties (huge lines!), stretch & take in the massive crowd!! Sensory overload!! I probably couldn't have recognized someone I know if they'd been standing right in front of me!! Jim's wave took off while we were in the p.p. lines. Found Lynda's wave, which was 30 mins behind ours, but as we'd not yet met her....thought about just shouting out & seeing if I got a response.....Our wave "launched" @ 7:54am & right away I was following some Joker! Big grin sometimes I passed him, sometimes he passed me...this relationship continued for the entire course - depending on whose turn it was for a walk break Tongue...Doug & I ran mostly together for the 1st 2 miles....then apparently, he was warmed up & picked up the speed....faster than I'm able to sustain, & even though I know better, I did try to keep up, so it didn't take long before I dropped back...by mile 4 or so, I could no longer find his blue hat ahead of me....but I did see Elvis - twice!! & a gorilla chasing a banana, & what looked like potato chip sacks w/legs &..... Big grin I thought the course was a bit challenging, the elevation profile showed an overall incline - but I think part of it was just me - not feeling tops, although I did feel that I was pushing in a bit...actually took several brisk walk/shuffle jog breaks. Coupla dowhhills that I'd tried to make up some time on...& then charged (for me!) into Folsom (I think it's a rule that I can't walk in!) & that felt friggin' awesome!! unofficial time: 1:04:56.39/10:28 pc AHR 170 OA PL/20950 gender place: 8509 out of 26564 (I have no idea what my AG placement would be as Active registered me as F38!!) In the days leading up we'd exchanged phone #'s & possible meet-up locations w/several people in hopes of the fair weather & post race activities cooperating w/us meeting up w/what my DH calls my "imaginary friends"....but, by the time I made it to the stadium, weather conditions were already deteriorating to the point that we realized that this would need some modification.... I found Doug pretty easily just a dozen yards past the finish line waiting....said he'd been in "awhile" & his stop watch (very cheap one) said 45min/change Shocked but his "unofficial" chip time is 1:00:13.11/pc 9:42 - so by that, not so very far ahead of me....however, the # of activities that he witnessed (ambulance picking someone up?) leads me to think that maybe something's not quite accurate - sounds more like 10+ minutes passed while he was standing there? oh well. either way, very decent time for his 1st 10K....nice PR! While the crowd washed us fwd into the stadium, I asked if he'd heard from anyone on the cell & he said not yet...likely lots of folks sent theirs to the mobile lockers...speaking of which, I could really use my jacket about now! So that became our primary focus - get to the mobile lockers for more clothes!...once we got our stuff we looked back towards the stadium & it didn't appear that it would be an easy feat to get back into there w/the sheer numbers of people exiting it!! WOW! So, we decided to go over to the Expo until we heard from somebody. Pretty immediately ran into my TNT coach & her DH! She seemed startled to see me & asked if I ran!?! I'm pretty sure I had that flushed face/wilted look!! saw a few Snug Runners....collected some decent swag....met w/some Denver area RA folks, then Jim & Lynda made it to us...I should say, Lynda & "Popsicle Jim!" as he was w/o his jacket for at least an hour waiting for her wave!! By unanimous vote everybody dispersed to warmer climes! we four left to go find a warm place to sit down for lunch & chat..... .......Absolutely the best part of the day! Smile except that I talk waaaaaay to much!!! Blush http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/mtnchk1/?action=view¤t=303ec1ac.pbw Have a Great Day everyone! Cindy
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Can't wait to read the RR. No matter what it took ,you did it, Brava!! Now enjoy the accomplishment! Francesca
                                Congrats to all of the weekend racers. Loved your RR Cindy! We love it when you blabber! Leslie, your ENDING fashion report sounds horrible. But you DID IT! Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee