Masters Running

Sunday May 3---racing, running, and giving thanks (Read 501 times)

Good Morning all I am about to head over to the Notch Visitor center in the Holyoke Mountain range to volunteer at the start of the Seven Sisters trail race---a 12 mile race with steep climbs (3,700 feet). The morning here is dawning perfectly for running and racing. One of my running heroes passed away on Friday after an incredibly long and full life, marathoner in his 80s----attached here is what the New York Road Runner's Club says about him. I am grateful to him as he and his daughter generously paid for the outdoor track at my college* alma mater in 1985 and then when I went back to my campus to work, he gave more money to resurface the track in 1999. I had the honor of walking the track with him (he was 97 then) and watch him grin as the runners and throwers focused on their events that day. Thank you Al Gordon! http://www.nyrr.org/al_gordon/index.asp *Smith College (he also paid for the tracks at Harvard, Northfield Mount Hermon, and many other schools) Have a great day
    dg.

thanks for starting Karin.... I hope you enjoy your volunteering stint, it sounds wonderful. Al Gordon sounds like a wonderful person. It's so nice you were able to meet him! wanted to say Go Racers!!!!!! Holly here's your flying pig picture. Smile I hope it goes well. Off to gallup at Gallup. happy Sunday to you all.
        Rest day...Yes Good luck to all racers. Let the wind in your hair feel good. Let the feel of your feet hitting the ground make you feel fast. And finally as others congratulate you at the end of finish line, feel alive and be happy. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning...it's a beautiful and sunny day here in Indiana. Yesterday was wave run day for me, and it was an interesting one to say the least. I woke up feeling good and got ready for my run. Took off and noticed my HR was pretty high, but sometimes that is the case starting off. At mile one I felt super sick to my stomach and had to hit the woods to use the bathroom. Then I got to my MP mile and after that got sick and had to go potty agan. Sheesh, then about a 1/2 later...yep, felt sick and almost bagged the run. After almost throwing up and using the bathroom one more time, I then felt great and finish my run???? wierd. 14 mile wave run - overall time I am not sure about because I didn't turn my garmin off on one of my potty stops - 3 MP miles at 7:55 pace, nailed - 2 miles at 1/2 MP 7:30 pace nailed (and these were done on a 1/2 mile hill / overpass which made them delightfully tough) Then added one more MP mile at the end, for a total of 4 MP miles and 2 1/2 MP miles. Good workout after getting over my very sick feeling at first...don't know what THAT was about. Then 7 easy miles this morning and felt great...in IRC. Hope all our racers do great, and hope everyone has good runs and a wonderful day. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

good morning runners!! hope all our racers have a great day!! i have a friend running Providence Marathon today - - hope he does great - he's trained well!! i did 3 miles yesterday afternoon to loosen up my legs after my crazy work schedule this morning 8 miles with a friend -- not fast but she's trying to add some distance to her workouts so it was great for both of us -- so nice to have company on a run ........1:18:22 avg pace 9:47 -- feeling good!!Big grin deb - love the picWink karin - sorry to hear about the loss of your marathon friend -- sounds like he lived a wonderful life!! i'm going to check out the article next

denise

Karin - your friend sounds like quite a guy -- he'll be missed, that's for sure. This morning, I was going to meet a young lady runner from one of the other forums who had just moved to Minneapolis, but I guess we got our wires crossed. We had a confirmed meeting time at 7am this morning, but I tried to change the time to 8am due to the wedding PDR and I were at last night (I wanted to sleep a bit more), but I didn't get confirmation on the time switch. Either we were both confused about the time, or she had second thoughts about meeting a guy she didn't know other than from the internet, which is totally understandable. Anyway I waited from 7 until 8:15, then went for a short run, as I wanted to meet the rest of the family for breakfast. 3.1 miles, 26:44, 8:36/mi, AHR 151 (77% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mariposai

go racers go....... I can't wait to read the race reports. My legs are alive and happy today after my 23 trail race yesterday. I will go out for a recovery run today and maybe some biking too, if time allows. Right now I am decorating a wedding cake for two dear friends who are getting married this afternoon.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Karin - what a greta story about your hero Al Gordon. I hope I can still be encouraging others when I'm 97! Just back from the Broad Street Run. Need a shower, food, a little reflection time, and maybe a nap before the RR, but here's a teaser: I finished; under my own power; and not last. Wink Best of all, I've gone from the girl who HATED racing to the girl who thought today's race was actually pretty fun, even in the rain. Big grin Start Day 1 of the marathon training plan tomorrow: Monday = rest day. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Way to go Eliz!! Can't wait for the report. Karin, wow, 97! Did 3 mile jog around the local middle school track...which is only .22 mile around. Ended it with a little trail run. Still far from normal as the dizziness was noticeable by the end, but I am thankful to be able to do my little 3 mile runs for now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

"older but not dead yet"

One of my running heroes passed away on Friday after an incredibly long and full life, marathoner in his 80s----attached here is what the New York Road Runner's Club says about him. I am grateful to him as he and his daughter generously paid for the outdoor track at my college* alma mater in 1985 and then when I went back to my campus to work, he gave more money to resurface the track in 1999. I had the honor of walking the track with him (he was 97 then) and watch him grin as the runners and throwers focused on their events that day. Thank you Al Gordon! http://www.nyrr.org/al_gordon/index.asp *Smith College (he also paid for the tracks at Harvard, Northfield Mount Hermon, and many other schools) Have a great day
                      Yes, he was a great guy. I've run with him over the years here in NYC in the many races the NYRR put on in Central Park. And 2 years ago I ran the Al Gordon 15K on a frigid day in February and there he was at 105 all bundled up starting the race. I have a very nice race sweatshirt with his picture on it that I now think I'll retire. He was an essential cog in making the NYRR club the powerful force in distance running that it is today! Alex
                      Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
                      dg.

Eliz, I'm so glad your race went so well! WTG Big grin Nancy, you are amazing & wonderful. (((enke))) glad you got to run. I was thinking of you this morning... you've been dealing with this for so long. Sad denise... thanks -). It's great to see you back & running so well after all you've been through. I planned on 6 this morning, just to be cautious after last weeks stupid person tricks. However. It was an unbearably beautiful day, so I ended up with 10.1 miles, 9:42 average pace, 8:19 max. untracked w/u & c/d walks. There were a couple of things I was especially happy about... aches would pop up but I was able to make them go away by adjusting my posture & stride. Also there were a few of those moments when things all fall into place & it just doesn't get any better than that. Looking forward to all the RR's.
                        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow, quite a slow day. Everyone LRing and racing? Hope they're all going well. Eliz--Congratulations on your 10 mile race. Us newbies are really proud of your and how well you've done. CNY--sounds like he had a life well lived. Sounds like you were lucky to have known him. Timbo--you do have unusual runs Tongue Glad it ended up OK. Deb--nice run and nice pace. I went out this morning in IRC. 51 and sunny--gorgeous day that I thought was supposed to be rainy. 3pm and not a drop yet. 3.38 total miles with about 2.8 of running and the rest w/u, c/d and a little break in the middle. First loop with only one break in the middle. I have needed at least 2 before. Better pace, too--about 10:20. things are looking up. Then Max and I went out for another 2.5 this afternoon to beat the raindrops. Today I wore a cotton shirt based on the recommendations from the Garmin site and the HRM seemed to work very nicely. Does static really affect it that much? How do other folks deal with this? I've spent the last three years building up my supply of wicking shirts and I'd like to keep using them.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Renee the dog

Today I wore a cotton shirt based on the recommendations from the Garmin site and the HRM seemed to work very nicely. Does static really affect it that much? How do other folks deal with this? I've spent the last three years building up my supply of wicking shirts and I'd like to keep using them.
                            Can you touch metal a few times to fix that? I don't know any other answer 'cept to wear a running bra. I do and I don't have any issues with my HRM. How far you willing to go, stumpy? Tongue Nothing to really report as I'm benched. Did walk 1 mi and did my first session (5 mn) on the slideboard. I think it truly may be helpful in building up my weak areas of my legs. (she says hopefully) Eliz, huge congratulations on your finish. Big grin Way to go!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

Sorry about your loss CNY. Eliz, I hope you are hooked! Good for you. Today I was supposed to work a water station at the Saint's "Heels n Hills" women's half marathon, but we had violent t'storms last night, the course was flooded and the race got cancelled. So I slept late then headed out for a LR. 16 miles in about 2-1/2 hours, then stretched. The Saint finally got up and headed out to do something on her own. I feel bad for her because she trained well for this. I imagine they will reschedule. It has become a popular race in the Dallas area, and great for women's running. Spareribs
                              evanflein

Quiet day so far here at RA. We're getting a very late start to our day... It's almost noon and we're just finishing up waffles. Guess we'll call it brunch. Yeah Eliz! It is fun, isn't it? Watch out though... it can be a bit addicting. Karin, he was a good man. We sure could use more like him. I did the local big community 5k yesterday. 1,200 people signed up, and there were a ton of kids and moms/dads with strollers. I'd signed up awhile ago to do it and changed it to a walk/run with DH, but he was stuck in Anchorage (missed his flight) so I did it by myself. Kept a nice steady pace, monitoring all systems regularly. Felt good enough in the last mile to increase pace a bit, but not much. It was a beautiful day and I was enjoying the run. Stopped once before the 2 mile mark to give things a little stretch, and on I went. Amazing to run back in the late-mid-pack. Some guys are really huffing and puffing to the point I was worried! Crossed the line in 27:51, and had an amazing amount "left in the tank." Roll eyes And yes, that's as much of a race report as I'm going to do. Ribs is already mad at me. More yard cleanup on tap today. Can't believe the string of gorgeous days we're having. I think we've already had more really nice days than we had the entire month of June last year! (June is normally our nicest month) Looking forward to seeing how the Pig goes today... and some other racers I know, too!