Masters Running

Friday 10/5 it 's good to be alive. (Read 42 times)

SteveP

Mr. Coastwalker is working through shoulder issues. He hopes he wasn't seen in race walking in the dark for 6.55. I hope you work it our.

Is it just me, or is anyone else totally baffled about all that call letter stuff SteveP has in his opening paragraph?

Back in the days of savagery -  when a computer would not fit in the average living room, the only TV stations were over the air analog, just a few people had radar rangers and jogging was beginning to take off - the FCC sent me my first broadcast license. KBBG-5249.

TwoCat is making forward progress in his rehab. Be proud brother. As frustrating as rehab may be, you've got this.

Jlynne is getting a wind blown 5.12 with gravy on top.

Quickadder racking up an early 5.3 with Double Dee.

An overwhelmed Dave59 works his knee during his 5.2. Some of us understand hectic. I'm glad you're here.....did someone say "snacks"?

Pfriese moving at MP for 9 while he slams dunks 12 for the total.

Tammy, the late Burt Reynolds spent a portion of his youth a Michigan, hick town, Merritt. It's down the road a piece from where I lived for 20ish years. The population was less than 700 during the last census. He was biddies with a friends dad and pushed her mom on the school swing set. Nice 3.3..

I recommend not irritating them folks in the woods who are sporting firearms. I'm not a hunter myself. Twice, I've been close enough to fawns to have been able to pet them if I wanted to. One was just learning how to stand.

Tramps pounds out 22 biking miles after the roofers leave. Good call on staying around while the workers were there.

RunnerKSA is getting her feet wet at the old/new gym. ARCing out on new equipment. Gotta love it.

Fatozzig is making a solemn vow to work smart. She pushed through for an hour making her hard core as they get.

Holy cripes Stumpy. Get the ear taken care of.

Holly powers the the breeze for 4.2.

Henrun putting in a double dose of two-fers. 2 running 2.5 at a fast walk. Signing up for a lecture is hard core.  Every time I sit down with out being busy, I nod out.

Starruns gets blown away of her work out. Good to see ya'.

MikeE has the Achilles barking at him, yet he pushes through. His easy  7 is my pipe dream any more.

Falconfixer gets his 4.5 mile fix after work.

Evanflein shares her Wednesday's 8.5, yesterday's breezy 5.6 before sharing her visions for the future.

Joe618 gearing up for a family filled weekend and feeling the spectator side of the Chicago Marathon's energy.

Interesting.   In the tour, they made a Big Deal of the automated "Stability System" in their fork trucks which had sensors to monitor load shifts and unsafe mast tilt angles.

My work place needs a "Stability System".

Surly Bill confesses that a portion of his life was made into a blockbuster mega movie. Silly work getting in the way of his good times.

BTY is busting out some fantastic moves with his jumbled up bag of work outs. Dave59 has snacks.

Mrrun is kind enough to check in and helps the Alaskan runner navigate.

I took our camper down for DW's last camping weekend of the year with all of the kids in nearby sites. In the morning I gently made it clear that I don't want to set up in the dark. So....we did't leave the house until sunset. .

Nearly a year ago, our company rolled out a new computer system for the last of the properties to make the conversion to the parent company software. Our purchase order numbers went from 6 digits to 8. When a vendor makes a typo, the information we can retrieve may be fore a completely unrelated product a few time zones away. I sent an e-mail to our home office suggesting a property specific PO prefix. Nearly a year later, the sent a blanket email response indicating it was bata-tested in several markets. I caused as many problems as it solved....however, they're going to use that format in the Alaskan properties. If any y'all wander into Spenards...I may have helped them or may have made their lives more difficult.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' Steve & everyone else.

That's what makes you so dangerous, Steve - you're always thinking!

Feel better Stumpy - what you've got sounds nasty.

Good job of being smart, Fatozzig. How'd you make out with the coffee grinder?

Do I smell the scent of perhaps a Boston meet-up at the end of the month? I'm race-directing a 5K on the 27th, and we are going to a neighborhood dinner party that night, and I (maybe) have a half in N. Conway, NH on the 28th. So let's add on another event!

5.5 walking miles at 4 this morning, in 57° temps with some wind, under clear skies. Didn't even want to test my sore shoulder blade muscle, so I didn't do any racewalking at all (trying to be ready for Sunday's 5K). I learned that with regular walking, I have a longer stride, but much slower turnover. I managed negative splits (such as it was), starting at 14:46, and getting down to 13:54. I think I had shortened my stride a bit towards the end, and increased my cadence enough to more than compensate for the shorter stride. The things we do to keep ourselves amused on EZ/recovery workouts...

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

My work place needs a "Stability System".

Totally agree with that statement! And I loved the header for today's daily. Yes, Steve - it's good to be alive. Thanks for the great recap. You really do need to write a book!

Sorry that shoulder is still giving you grief Jay but it sounds like you've got everything under control.

A Boston meet-up? You guys are so lucky!

Hey Holly - any feedback from the cafeteria incident last week? I hope everything is ok in DD's world.

It was 48° and raining at Jay o'clock so I went to the Y. I always love the 10 or 15 people waiting in line for the doors to open at 5:00 AM. There's a lot of crazy folks out there! An hour on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights, core and hamstring stretching.

I work with a woman who is 73 years old. Yes, she's still working in a grade school cafeteria, trying to make ends meet since she took in her daughter and 2 grandkids. She had a stroke yesterday. Please keep her in your thoughts if you could.

Tramps

Keep the bugs off the glass and the bears off your glutes, good buddies....

You know that doesn't rhyme, right? 

All that CB talk reminds of talk like a pirate day.

Mike--more impressive runs. Geez.

Stumpy--B's back on track. (and a crazy wild one in Pittsburgh)

93F and humid yesterday.  In October.  Sigh.

Still very warm with 99% humidity this morning and I just couldn't do it. A cold front is supposed to come through today moderating things, so I'll get my run in tomorrow.

ETA: I see Minnesota has a drunk bird problem. Sad.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey Holly - any feedback from the cafeteria incident last week? I hope everything is ok in DD's world.

Well, she is back in school and working to make up the work she missed (it is fortunate that they let her do this).  Today is the end of the quarter, and they have a week off next week for fall break (one benefit of starting school on August 8).  She tells me not to look at the grades until the first week of the next quarter, when she expects her grades to be back up to A's or at least B's.  Tonight she is going to a rapper concert in Columbus, which makes me very nervous.  Her older girlfriend is driving, and I have to keep reminding myself that I went to concerts when I was 16, but rap, really?  Somehow I think the worst of it.  Of course, my parents probably thought the same thing about the Black Sabbath concert I went to when I was 16.  

Mid 50's and windy when I set out today, but it felt so cold to me (time to reverse acclimatize to cold).  I ran a 4 mile loop in a LS shirt, then switched out to SL when I was warmed up and headed back out.  I am such a cold wussie.

14 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618

Rest day for me, will go long very early Saturday morning before we drive to Chicago for the wedding.    Looks like a good chance of rain for the start of the Chicago Marathon, so will pick up a poncho to keep me dry on the sidewalk, watching the Kenyan's fly by.

I don't think Kenyan runners ever needed CB radios to monitor their convoys of distance excellence....

10-4.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

anneb

Morning, masters.

Joe - funny that you just happen to be in town for a wedding this weekend. And to think, there is something going on this weekend besides the Chicago Marathon?  I've run it a couple of times, myself.

Karen - you've reminded me I do need to get back in a regular gym routine. I've been only running through the summer, as I do like being outside most of the time, but it would do me some good to get back into regular cross training. We belong to an Anytime Fitness which is basic, but gets it done. And, it's 0.8 miles from the house so I can run there if I want to make it a short run day and still lift. We'll see if I actually do it...

We've had some problems with our senior dog the last day (pic in avatar). DH left the house around lunch yesterday to find he pooped all over the kitchen while he was gone for only a half hour (it was... messy). And, later in the day (but still before I was home), it happened again where he was on his way to the side door (the kitchen), but either couldn't make it in time for DH to get him out or something. It is possible he has a bug but he is very old for a large dog (15.5 about). With the exception of one room, the entire first floor is hardwood, so we'll be gating off that room just in case. (Not that it'll be great if it happens on a rug... but at least easier to clean. Or remove.). We'll see his vet Monday to see if anything has changed with him. He is old enough that things can start failing, I know, but I hope we're not there yet. It's been a ruff 24 hours.

Anne

After seeing the posts about the weekend weather in Chicago, I perked up a bit about being sidelined and unable to run it. The weather report says morning thunderstorms. But, it looks like most of the rain will be gone and done by start time. Yes, I know it is untoward to be even a little happy about bad race weather just because you cannot run the race. What can I say? If I miss out on a rain soaked race it is a LOT less painful than if I miss out on one during a perfect race day.

My workouts started at around 6:30am this morning and ended around 6:35am. Impressive, no?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

a quick 2.3 with the dogs this morning before we pack up and leave. Bella observed us loading up our trailer so she probably thinks we are going someplace real fun. won't she be pissed off when my dad arrives to dog sit and we leave w/o her.

Tammy

Quick flyby -

Anneb - Hope the pup gets better. It's hard with aging 4-legged hairy love bugs.

The "slight irritation" developed into "slightly more irritated" as the day went on yesterday, so today is a do nothing day.  Except work.  Have I mentioned that I'm not completely satisfied with my job right - the "weed people" side of it? 

I started down the hallway at one point yesterday and stopped in my tracks as a partner was walking toward me.  I completely forgot what I was supposed to do.  I looked at him and said, "I'm stumped."  He got a weird look on his face and said, "What??" Me: "I'm stumped."  Him: "Oh! I thought you said you were stoned!!"  

Later ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

bioguy

Driving home from school today I passed the cross country team in a long string on a run that includes my house. I am friends with the coach and he was running too, so I figure he was a mile from my house. I pulled in the driveway with my tie off and dress shirt unbuttoned, grabbed the mail, put the dogs out, then quickly put on running gear. Coach was in sight as I locked the front door. We ran a few miles back to school and had a great chat; I ran the rest of the way home for a total of 4.1.

I did feel a little like Clark Kent, but sure can't run like Superman.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sure faster than I could have gotten ready.    Especially at a mile pace most likely a lot faster than mine.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

bioguy--that's funny. Glad you had a good run.

The temps (and, of course, humidity) actually dropped during the day today so that it was about 15 degrees cooler at 4 pm than it was at 6 am. Go figure. Anyway, I quit early and went out for a 6 mile run, walking some of the trail hills to not aggravate the ever-present knee issues.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Jay, if we do a meet up it would probably be Sunday or Monday evening (28th or 29th), but no plans yet. Marj and Henry won't be available, and LaT is out that weekend (we're staying Friday night and feeding the cat...). We'll be spending Saturday night in RI, race in the morning then head back to Boston to meet up with her. We're open to suggestions!

anneb, hope your dog is ok. It is hard when they get older like that, it seems any little thing throws them off.

Holly, you may have gone to Black Sabbath when you were 16 (and your parents should have been mildly concerned), but I bet you didn't wear what your DD wore to her concert. Holy carp, saw the pic on your DH's FB page. I don't think I'd let her out of the house! (oh geez, I sound like my mother)

Bioguy, that's pretty good timing!

SteveP, we got our kitchen cabinets from Spenard's! That was a few years ago, but we still get stuff there every now and then. Looked at doors recently as we want a new front door/storm door/screen set up.

Tramps, you'd love our weather. Well, at least now. It's been so nice the last week and a half or so! 50's, dry, sunny, just about IRC.

4.4 easy miles this afternoon in those IRC.

Mariposai

Just a quick post as I am waiting for my ride to Kolowna, BC. I did run 3 race plan test miles today after going around the house madly cleaning and putting the house back in order since I have been a sloth ever since the Easy Pacer left for Hawaii (think weeks here). He and his mama had a wonderful cruise together and now they are back in the States.

I think my friend Heidi and I are ready for our Victory Lap in Victoria Smile. We anticipate about 5:30 to 6 hours finish time. It will be raining, which I enjoy because it keeps your mind occupied from the discomfort of the pain.

Off I go. I will be seeing the RussmussenMP's while in Victoria. Joy ohhh joy!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard