Masters Running

Soupy Saturday, 8.25.12 (Read 374 times)

Speedos - No.  Just no.

Dave - A marathon in Hawaii.  What could be better!

"Clean Up the Neighborhood" day with our church.  Lots of folks showed up and, starting at the far end of the street, in groups we made our way up cleaning gutters, sidewalks, and helping folks with their front yards if they wanted.  We also gave out boxes of homemade cookies, and one person in each work group was the designated person to knock on the door, ask the person who answered if we could do anything for them in their yard, and give them a box of cookies.  In our group of 3 guys and 1 gal, guess who got to do the door-knocking.  It was a lot of fun, though, and although not many of our designated houses needed yard work, we did a lot of gutter and sidewalk cleaning.  With the number of folks who showed up, we were able to get the entire street cleaned.  One lady had a yard that was totally out of control and was so happy we were there to assist, she started crying.  So even though only a certain amount of work was suppose to be done at each house, a number of guys, including Shorty were delegated to attack the whole yard with the mowers and string trimmers.  Looked real nice when the got done.

Only had one person I offered cookies to say no, and everyone else who answered the door was surprised and pleased. It was cool.  I'm glad we signed up to participate, and I'll definitely do this next year.

After, I ran 8 out at the McKay Tract that went okay.  Tomorrow will be 14 out at the McKay with Karen and Chris, the young man I met at Mt. Hood.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi all I did finish the 10 miler this morning, I have been sick ever since.  Back flaired up at about 3 miles began walking mostly with short runs mixed in. Stopped and  sang with my church for 5 minutes and 4.5 miles and took 600 mg motrin.  Back eased up but right foot began to throb and was numb by mile 8 finished well in the last mile.  Lots of people had health issues, my neighbor went down after 5k potassium issues and I saw another go down with what looked like heart issues, on sidewalk near finish line.  My time I have not looked yet, PW I am sure.  But with 7.5 miles ran since early June, 1.5 mile of that  this AM, running back to car for my watch.  I completed it for the 12 year in a row. 16  Crim races in 13 years, several years I doubled.  More bettre training next year.

Bushrat Runner

I intended to run this evening but no go. Spent the day doing a book signing and when it was over I found DW had made us dinner plans and we were already late. Maybe tomorrow. I usually don't have trouble with run scheduling when on vacation but between book signings and flying it is a bit of a challenge. We made it to the state fair yesterday for the first time ever so we are having fun.
        Dave59

I intended to run this evening but no go. Spent the day doing a book signing and when it was over I found DW had made us dinner plans and we were already late. Maybe tomorrow. I usually don't have trouble with run scheduling when on vacation but between book signings and flying it is a bit of a challenge. We made it to the state fair yesterday for the first time ever so we are having fun.

I wonder how you could sign my Kindle copy?  Roll eyes  I read the book about a week ago and enjoyed it very much.  When I was growing up I wanted to be a pilot.  In high school I thought I wanted to be a missionary pilot and when one was visiting our church he even took me up for a spin around Niagara Falls, landed on a grass strip and took off again.  You have to be able to fix everything on your plane for the type of job so I never pursued it very far.  Now, with my absent-mindedness I have lost the desire to be a pilot (too dangerous) but I still love being up in the air with someone else at the controls.

I loved the descriptions of your adventures and learning how to do so many different things along the way.

Do you still have that particular plane you flew to Alaska?

Dave59

Hi all I did finish the 10 miler this morning, I have been sick ever since.  Back flaired up at about 3 miles began walking mostly with short runs mixed in. Stopped and  sang with my church for 5 minutes and 4.5 miles and took 600 mg motrin.  Back eased up but right foot began to throb and was numb by mile 8 finished well in the last mile.  Lots of people had health issues, my neighbor went down after 5k potassium issues and I saw another go down with what looked like heart issues, on sidewalk near finish line.  My time I have not looked yet, PW I am sure.  But with 7.5 miles ran since early June, 1.5 mile of that  this AM, running back to car for my watch.  I completed it for the 12 year in a row. 16  Crim races in 13 years, several years I doubled.  More bettre training next year.

It has to be tough to run the Crim on a warm day, bright sun, no breeze, with no training.  I saw a couple people off to the side of the road and one person in bad shape just 100 yards from the finish.  That person already had a crowd of emergency people around her (I think it was a her.) 

Bushrat Runner

Hi Dave, I'm glad you enjoyed it. After a life of writing science up for publication it is fun to have a piece of work that I still enjoy reading myself. We do still have the same plane. It is easy to lust after a bigger or faster plane, or one that has big fat tires for off airport landings. But the financial reality is that most people I know that own the planes people lust after end up not flying very often. So we are making good use of our little, underpowered craft and I fly about ten times the hours of an average private pilot per year. And we now know exactly what we have because we have spent a lot making sure the plane is in tip top shape.