Masters Running

New Year's Day 2017 (Read 40 times)

And we're off to a new start!

These were the best conditions in years for the annual Lake Orion Resolution Run 5K: low 30s, sunny, clear dry pavement, and no wind. It answered well for me as I had my best 5K in 5 years with a 26:47 (8:42 pace). I finally beat my friendly nemesis for probably the first time ever and was pretty sure I'd won the AG, but again we were both smoked by some out-of-town ringer who showed up (he was about 1:20 ahead of me). But anyway I got a nice medal for 2nd place in the 70-79 AG.

By the way, this was the race where a year ago I had my PW at about 6 minutes slower than this year, although there were definite reasons for that owing to course conditions and my conditioning status.

Anyone else out competing at a New Year's Day race?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...mornin' roch//....Wishing you New Shoes for 2017.....

=======

Note to Self-

Calm Down about the shoes, got some leg cramping last night due to OVERDOING it...................Big Shock

30-min X-Bike sitting to loosen things up

AND

PoolRun this afternoon,,,,,,,,'cause I don't remember hurting anything doing that

(of course

I also had one year I didn't remember how Old I was)

........good work-outs guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Good Morning and Happy New Year!

Normally, I would have been in bed by about 10:00 last night, only to be woken up at midnight by the sounds of gunshots and cannons. But staying up to watch the ball drop is a big deal to David so we stayed up with him. DH and I first went over to our neighbors who were having a New York NYE (meaning it only lasted from 6-9!), but we ended up staying and visiting with them til about 10:00. David wanted to stay home and do homework so he could try and wrap it all up by today and could just have fun watching football. and I guess now he'll get to go have fun in the snow later because we got some overnight and are expecting another 3-4" throughout the day.

I did not go to my club's Resolution Run this morning (missing the first run of the year is not a great start) but roads are kind of icy and this run is about a 50 min drive away on roads that are typically even more more icy, so I'll just get in my run at home later this afternoon instead. It was not a timed race or anything, just a social run for club members only. 

Have a great day all!

Tammy

janie b good

Happy New Year!

2.0 mile walk for me.  bad cold.  but nice day for a walk.

got ribs in the oven, football on the tv, and family to love on.

life is good.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

C-R

Way to go Roch and Tammy.

Easy does it TW. New shoes or not.

Not resolution run but some trails with friends. Beautiful 40 degree no cloud day. Wow. I hope it foreshadows 2017.

The PEET thing works great. Two sets of kiddos shoes are de-stinked and my wife is very happy. I may have earned a few points to use for shoes or a race in the future.

Have a great day everyone.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Roch - Great Racing!

Janie - nice to see you again!

C-R - what is PEET?

14.1 miles for me today in 28-38 degrees - very pleasant weather with nice, dry pavement.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

When I heard TW got new shoes, I knew it was time to come back. 

Roch--congrats on beating your nemesis and an AG medal!  Great start to the year.

Holly, I think C-R's referring to this PEET (or something like it).

EZ 10 miler for me today, my longest in quite a while.  Easing back into some distance.

Happy new year.  Hope to drop in more regularly this year.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

When I heard TW got new shoes, I knew it was time to come back. 

Roch--congrats on beating your nemesis and an AG medal!  Great start to the year.

Holly, I think C-R's referring to this PEET (or something like it).

EZ 10 miler for me today, my longest in quite a while.  Easing back into some distance.

Happy new year.  Hope to drop in more regularly this year.

This is going to be a great year!!!!

Wishing everyone a prosperous and healthy Year.

No running here yet. I am waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. Meanwhile I am working on a marathon training plan for April.

Cheers.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Hi everyone,

Congrats on beating your nemesis and the AG hardware, Roch!

Sorry about the cramping. TW. 'Calm down' is right.

Good move to stay off the icy roads this morning, Tammy.

Good walk, bad cold - bummer, Janie. Enjoy the easy afternoon.

Nice run and points earned, C-R!

I'm glad you had dry pavement for your 14 miler, Holly. I hope you will take that bonus check that you earned and spend it on YOU. You do so much for your bosses and your family, and you have more than earned a treat.

Welcome back, Tramps! Nice 10er to start the new year. It would be great to hear from you more often.

The 6 of us had an early, light dinner last night, went to the beach to watch the local New Year's Eve fireworks (at 8:30), then came home for late appies in front of the fireplace while we played word games until midnight, when we all celebrated for a few minutes, and then I went to bed.

Today's 5K (the 36th edition of the Hangover Classic in Salisbury, MA) didn't start till 11:30, so we could sleep in. I, of course, got up a my regular time, read for an hour and a half, puttered (quietly) around the kitchen until BIL and DN got up and ready to head out. It was 41F and sunny, but with an at times nasty wind from the west. But, overall, the weather was nice. DN and I agreed to try to stay together, at least from the start. She ran and I racewalked (not too fast) for about 3/4 mile. It was too hard to keep up with her, with my having been out of commish for about 2 months, and I didn't want to overdo it. So I ran with her the rest of the way, making this the first time I've run in a race in about 14 years. DN and I stayed together, and gradually picked up the pace, doing our miles in 10:26, 10:01, and 9:28. She took off when we rounded the corner just before the finish and beat me by 2 seconds. We both had a good time, and (THANKFULLY!) my hamstring was fine. DN rarely (almost never) runs negative splits, so she was happy with her race. My official time was 30:57 with a 10:00 pace. There, that's done.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Started the New Year off with a slippery 12,  the last 3 at 15k race pace.

Nice race roach and congrats on the hardware!

flats

turtle runner eximious

Starting off 2017 with some icy miles. Nearly fell on my bum 4 times. I have a ridiculous mileage goal, but what the heck. Day 1, I am beating that damn pace bunny.

Michael

C-R

Nice running everyone.

Hey Holly - Peet Feet is a shoe dryer and de-stinker. Here is a link on Amazon. Frankly I had my doubts and my son's shoes are horrible. Litterally can't be in the same car with them (they go in the trunk). After one evening, they are actually in the house.

https://www.amazon.com/PEET-Dryer-Original-2-Shoe-Electric/dp/B001J4HQ76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483302708&sr=8-1&keywords=peet+feet

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Henrun

Congrats Roch and Jay. Nlce to see some familiar names returning-keep it up.

TW-we overdoers have to be patient- lol.

Beautiful day here-sunny and low 40's. We started with our usual morning mile walk followed by mimosas and pancakes. At noon we drove to the Blue Hills Resrvation where a couple of hundred people showed up for park ranger lead First Day hikes. Unknowingly we picked the most difficult-2 miles with a number of hills and some ice but I loved it even though it gave my new knee quite a workout. Now back home, watching the end of the Patriots game and enjoying more mimosas.

pfriese

First run of the year in the books, or is that log? 8 miles in irc; sunny, no wind, & 60 degrees (15.5C). A great way to start off the new year. Weather forecast shows we'll have frozen precip by the end of the week though.

Paul

evanflein

C-R, wish I'd had that thing when my boys were playing soccer! Wow, talk about shoes going in the trunk only... or bed of the pickup, even better.

So nice to see Tramps here!

Nice run there, Jay, and good to spend the race with your niece and not hurt anything. Well done!

Easy does it there, pirate. You've got all the time you need to get back into it with those shoes. Nice to have the pool running back up.

Woohoo on the race, Doug! Nothing wrong with 2nd in AG... seems to be my placing of choice lately. Nice that you had good conditions for your race.

Holly, ditto on the spend it on yourself. Maybe stash in a race travel fund? Nice to have dry pavement for your run, I'm envious!

Tammy, good call on the run. Icy roads are nothing to fool around with, travel only when necessary. Does David run at all anymore?

Hi Janie! Nice to see you, too! And welcome, flats! Please tell us a little about yourself! All are welcome here, whether running, currently not running or just want to be running (hear that, Tramps?!).

Mariposai, sounds like you're feeling better? What April marathon are you training for?

Runr_nut, you're off to a good start! See note to Tammy about icy roads...

I hope I didn't miss anyone. That's the risk of shout outs to all (or trying to), which is why I rarely do it. What better time than New Year's Day? Do it at least once a year. We had a good night last night with fireworks up at the University at 8, then home to spend the rest of the evening there. Champagne out on the deck at midnight, watching our neighbors blow up a lot of money on fireworks. Good grief... glad I don't have a dog anymore. It always freaked her out so bad. Anyway, no run yet but I will go in a bit. It's about 5° now in town so a lot cooler than yesterday. Not sure what will be plowed so I'll have to find some good footing somewhere.

Oops! Took so long to hit "post" that Henry and Paul sneaked in here! Hi to both, and Henry be careful with that overachiever tendency!