Masters Running

Tuesday, October 20th - Wakey, Wakey!! (Read 326 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

I laid in bed for a while before talking myself into getting up and enjoying the mild morning.  Brinkley was more than excited to join me.  4 miles - 9:40 pace    No ten's today!!  Big grin     DH will be home from Wyoming tonight.   He didn't shoot anything, but saw lots of wildlife and beautiful territory.   All in all he had a good time which is what matters most.

I hope DG write a report today.

Happy Twos=Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mary... so I guess the score is: Wildlife 1, DH 0

Chilly 34° here this morning.

2 miles with Tory and Sadie at 10:13 pace then 6 miles in 47:23 (7:54 pace, AHR 163 incl. couple miles in the 7:30's)

That fater pace felt gooood!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Thanks for getting us started, Mary.

Perch--nice speedy run this morning.  Are you getting psyched yet?

A creaky 3-miler for me this morning @ 10:03.  Just enjoying our trail on a beautiful, crisp Fall morning.  Now this would be a good day to run a marathon.

Have a good day.

Be safe. Be kind.

Morning, gang!

Mary - nice kickoff run.  I'm sure it will be good to have your DH back.

Perch - very nice run - glad it felt good.

dg - good to have you back safe and sound - now where's that report???  Don't be disappointed in your race - going under 5 hours for your first is great, and it leaves a  lot of room for your next PR.

Chilly here as well - definitely frost on the pumpking, and the windshield........  6 miles on the track @ 9:36 and 150 AHR.  It was dark for most of the run, and I couldn't see my Garmin, so I just tried to settle into an easy pace that I thought I could hold for a long time.  I think this is much faster than my marathon pace, so we'll see......... 

Good runs, all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

No run for me this morning.  I'm still pretty creaky, and there was lots to do around the house after being gone for four days.  Maybe tomorrow.  Or maybe not.

Sue - you can set your Garmin to keep the backlight on.  Once configured, it's just a second quick press on the power button  (I think), to turn on the light.  It's pretty much our default on weekdays.  But it sounds like you were quite speedy without the stinkin' Garmin!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

This will be quick because I am busy and looking for a quick break!

I am going to write to my friends in Houston to let them know my DW and I will not be coming down in January for the marathon and HM.  On the good news side we had a bunch of friends over for dinner Saturday.  (Bloody good southern style meal I made too! )  During dinner two of our friends talked about going to Miami for some HM there this January.  Then my DW piped in that if they went she was in too!    I figure with the three of them egging each other on the odds that this will happen are, well to be honest, about 1 in 3.  Still better than zero.  For me it will also help assuage my guilt about having yet to visit my mom's grave in West Palm Beach.  Yea, I know it is not exactly next to Miami but it is a lot closer than CT!  Amazing parents, even when gone, can still instill guilt into their kids!

A quick addition from perchcreek's point about misreporting on the deaths during the Detroit race.  It seems at least one news bureau finally got the distance the racers who passed away correct (the HM).  I have not trolled all the news reports from the cable networks, but at least one that I saw went out of its way to point out that very, very few people die during distance races and that this tragic event was incredibly unusual.  I know these deaths are terrible and just devastating for the families so I am not trying to minimize them in any way.  I am just commenting on what I think was perchcreek's sentiment (that I admit to sharing) that the news outlets should check their facts when reporting on anything and perhaps double check them when somebody has died.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

I'm working on the wakey part!    

Thanks for starting us Mary.   Nice run!  it just keeps getting better Smile.    I'm glad your DH is home safe & sound.  Thanks for your (& all the other) requests for my RR....   I will I really will.   still digesting, behind everywhere, & besides I want Holly &  BQByll to write theirs first!

Byll I'm so happy for you.   makes me smile uncontrollably every time I think about it.  

Tramps nice all is functional for your 3 miler.   I don't know if I'll end up replying to your RR but I did read it... I think you were mahvelous. 

I'm so behind here.  So Perch, your knee is ok??

Sue, thank you.   I'm working on it.  I've had several talks with myself.  ()...   funny, my brother was saying the same thing.   that I was all set up for next time.  :-).     Nice zippy frosty run!   How are your hamstrings?

Harriet I think you should have a day or 2 of alternating hottub soaking with warm quilt + book + fireplace sitting.  I know you won't, but you earned it.   wonderful pictures of you btw.

I'm really doing pretty well!    No hamstring pain.  unbelievable!  no pita.  really!   pain everywhere the first day, (Sunday)  but mostly gone.   After I've sat for a little while I'm a little creaky.  my right knee might be a problem, not sure about that.   I did a stooopid thing, it was bothering me but had eased up quite a bit by Monday morning.   Then I was upstairs at my brother's house & saw an old picture on a shelf.  i half knelt down to see it,   decided that was a good position to do some little mini squat things up & down.  (you know how you just want to keep moving?)  .   something went twoing, & it was weird for the rest of the day.   I't s a little better now, & I have a massage scheduled for later.   I do have some impressive blood blisters on the outside of my heels, but other than that I'm better than I expected.    

No run for me either... would have really liked to at least go to the gym but think I"ll wait to get some knee feedback,    And the first morning back, I wasn't really ready to go anyway.  

mta.   hi 2cat.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

I got up, had my coffee, donned my running clothes, then sat down on the bed and thought about it....

...and decided not to run.

I spent the time before work puttering around the house instead, and DD and I got out the Halloween decorations and put them up around the house. 

Dg – you and Breger go first.  Besides, I’ve got a tax class midterm tomorrow night so I’m a bit frantic at the moment.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Talking about news reporting, PDR showed me a segment this morning from the local news in Newport, RI.  They were reporting that there were 4000 people running the marathon (not true -- most were half marathoners or relayers), and that this race was *the* Boston qualifier.  (well, maybe not the only one).

Kind of makes you wonder about all the other news we watch, about which we know less...

Took inventory this morning -- there's some little soreness in left shin and lower calf, but I think I'll live.

4.1 miles, 37:43, 9:14/mi, AHR 132 (68% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

PDR - thanks!  I had my old Garmin set up as you suggest, but I've been too lazy to try to figure it out for the new one.  Guess I just need to dig out the manual and do it.   Easy to procrasinate when you are electronically challenged.

Twocat - Florida in January is pretty sweet - at least compared to what CT will be like then ;-).

dg - I'm so happy you are recovering without pain - that's a really good sign!!  My hamstring thing is related to a piriformis issue which seems to be responding to RICE.  Still a bit touchy but I think I'll be fine by Sunday - today was probably the last training run this week.

Holly - good for you!!  You've earned the rest day.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

dg.

Lou, it really does.

glad you'll live.

adorable picture of Nate!

Holly, yabut, you're a double bqer!  though I understand about your midterm..  (good luck!)  Sigh.  You really haven't had much time to recover, have you.    good call today.   btw.   Mark called yesterday.... you forgot your food. He was hoping it was ok if he had it for dinner.  I gave him the go-ahead.  Wink.

Sue, I'm finally getting to look at Sunday's thread... .   Just read about your piriformis/sciatica.   I hope it's ok!!!   & thanks... I was hoping it was a good sign.  Smile

wildchild

Carolyn

Kind of makes you wonder about all the other news we watch, about which we know less...

Lou, I totally agree!  I used to work at a DOE nuclear weapons plant, doing environmental cleanup.  This plant was always in the news, and the reporters always got their facts messed up.  The news was usually about 50% correct.  For the stories about things I'm familiar with, I know which 50% is correct. The trouble is, with the other stories, I don't know. 

Twocat, I agree with Sue that the weather in Florida will be much better than in CT in January. Trouble is, DW and your friends will have to TRAIN in CT winter weather.

Glad our weekend warriors are still mobile this week.  Rest up and take it easy; you earned it.

Holly, good luck on that exam.

Planning to RAL, as the weather is supposed to deteriorate this afternoon, with rain and snow predicted tonight.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Good call, Holly. I think you need to give yourself a break more often. Decorating with DD sounds more fun, anyway.

Good to hear Deb is back and none the worse for wear. Watch that knee, hope it's nothing.

You mean our news isn't 100% accurate? Geez, I'm crushed. Believe me, half of what's on the news about Alaska is downright stoopid, you wonder where they got their info. I can only imagine the news about things like nuclear reactors and anything science-related is mostly garbage.

We had a dusting of snow last night, and while they say "no significant accumulation" today, I don't think this is going away now till spring. This is actually a good way to get our first snow, I hate it when it's warm, slushy and icy, then it freezes hard and you've got an icy base on the roads and bikepaths all winter. This should be good.

I brought my gym bag to work today for something at lunchtime, but I haven't decided what that is though. Left the running shoes at home though (that's how I keep from hopping on the treadmill when I should be doing XT stuff), so maybe elliptical? rowing? weights? bike? Hmmmm, we'll see.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Where is Ribs???   Dg has time to post here twice today and still has not written a race report!!??   She is in need of some heavy fining I tell ya!   This is your first girl ..... now get at it!

Oh, and when you wrote about the knee squat, that brought back a painful memory from my 1st post marathon leg lock.  I too squatted down like that and my knee totally locked up!  It was all I could do to get myself standing straight again and then I hobbled out of the store I was in. 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

11 easy miles on the treadmill while watching Black Dahlia - a very disturbing Brian da Palma flick.

Just getting over a little cold - got it while on the plane over to the UK.  You're really a captive on a plane - recirculated air, and nowhere to move to.  People were hacking up lungs everywhere. 

And now I get to go back to the UK twice next month - returning from the first trip on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and leaving on the second trip the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Oh joy.  My British bosses have no idea how busy US airports get around that day.