Masters Running

Sunless Sunday, 11.24.19 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Happy belated birthday, Tammy!

I'm glad your vision is improving and your eye more comfortable, Jlynne. Nice test workout.

Tomwhite, you always have the most interesting situations/observations/perspectives.

Wow, Henrun - a barber who makes house calls! Nice workout on the hills.

Beautiful job of breaking in your new bundt pan, Holly!

Good cooking and running, Twocat.

I never make pies because I have yet to master crusts, and store-bought gluten-free crusts are just not very good. So I stick to cakes, and we could do worse.

Tet, I write right-handed, and do just about everything else left-handed, except when I played soccer (and unless I was dribbling) I almost always kicked with my right foot. And you, Mr. Step-Maniac?

I'm sorry that the time leading up to races is so stressful, KSA. I hope you can find a way to back off on thinking that you need to be so competitive, and that feeling that "Having a bad race was not an option." Meanwhile, congrats on finishing the Monkey Half, and thanks for volunteering for the Full.

When our town was about to rebuild a small dam on a pond across the street, they had to relocate about half a dozen beavers who had taken up residence and done some impressive dam building on their own. It's too bad we had to replace their dam with a built one.

I'm glad your runaway dog crisis wasn't worse, Steve.

We had a good time loading up at the farmer's market yesterday, and exploring Aldi's. We didn't spend much time at Aldi's cause we were exhausted by the time we got there. However, it looks like a new store, and is well-stocked. It's about an hour from here (twice as far as TJ's), so we probably won't make regular runs. I also got some newly-split wood stacked so it can dry out for late winter, or more likely, next fall.

I was still achy from yesterday's workout, so I overdressed a little this morning, knowing that I'd be taking it easy and not building up much body heat. It was 32° with a persistent, lazy drizzle (it's supposed to rain all day, so I figured that was as good as I was going to get). I went 6.75 EZ miles and was still well-chilled by the time I got back, and really enjoyed (needed) that very hot shower that came after stretching.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Joe618

Morning, Jay, and all to follow!   Sorry it's grey and dreary in your locale...I was pleased to awake to bright sunshine and clear blue skies.   Supposed to hit the upper 40s by mid afternoon and I'll be out running then.

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Leslie - part of what makes the cake so good is that I used the jumbo blueberries that Kroger has right now - I love blueberries.  In order to save me (and my waistline), I gave about a third of the cake to DS when he dropped by yesterday, and took some to my stepdad as well.

It was 32 and breezy when I headed out at 8:30.  We had a light snowfall last night and there was some ice on the sidewalks in some places, so I watched my step.  I got in 4.05 miles, then came home and did some core and stability ball exercises for about 20 minutes.

Heading out to Target right now to look for a bigger crockpot, then to Kohl's to use my Kohl's cash before it expires.

Happy Sunday heading into a short work week!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Thanks, Jay. Some nice sunshine here today.

I finally did it. This week I accidentally washed my little iPod Nano, which they don't make anymore. Grrrr. I don't use it running but it was my go-to music source in my dusty workshop, where I connected it to an old receiver. Then, two days later, the receiver died, too! Clearly the gods were encouraging me to get something new with Bluetooth (no wifi out there) so I can stream from my phone. So this morning I started looking around and Amazon's running an $85 special on a well reviewed Sony receiver. Click and buy.

Temps were good (low 40s) but it was windy out there today. Woah doggie!  19 miles on the bikes fighting the steady wind and getting bounced around a bit by the gusts.

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

Jay - thanks for the start and impressive you got out there in the rain - we've had nothing but buckets but had wonderful visit with Henry's DS and GD.  Fortunately too warm for snow/ice.  Rest day planned.

Happy Belated Birthday Tammy!

So this morning I started looking around and Amazon's running an $85 special on a well reviewed Sony receiver. Click and buy.

Seems a bit big to carry with you on your runs...

RCG, Harper University Hospital is in the cluster of hospitals known as the Detroit Medical Center in downtown Detroit. It's associated with the medical school at nearby Wayne State University.

Another rather carpy 6-mile run-walk around the lake this morning at about a 12:00 pace. Shoulda used the flatter, more sheltered trail instead. I'm still going to give the hilly 4-mile trail route a try for my Turkey Trot on Thursday.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

It turns out that my Beijing to Hong Kong flight was not canceled. What happened is that on Tuesday I booked flights. Wednesday I had to cancel them since the 24 hour deadline to cancel for free was approaching and I still had not heard from my employer about getting fully reimbursed. The website sent me a cancellation notice. Then, of course, I heard back from my employer with the go ahead and rebooked my flights. On Saturday I received a cancellation notice and assumed it must be for the newly booked flight. Nope. It was a second notice about the previous reservation on the same flight that I had cancelled. The joys of business travel combined with the joys of airline travel.

Other than dealing with flights, it was an hour on the elliptical. Later today I have a rack of pork ribs to smoke.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Seems a bit big to carry with you on your runs...

DD came home in tears, having lost her wallet, which had her debit card, driver's license, and $400 in cash.  This after I have told her several times not to carry all of her money with her.  BUT, teenagers rarely actual listen to parental advice.  Fortunately she did find the wallet, so all is well, and she learned a good lesson and removed most of the cash from it before heading to work.

Well, after a trip to Target (I found and bought a bigger crockpot) and Kohl's (where I spent my Kohl's cash) and TJ Maxx (so DH could look at winter hats), I came home, washed all 3 dogs (1 at a time), cooked PF Chang's Mongolian Beef and rice for lunch, swept the kitchen and stairs, and scrubbed the hall bathroom.   Now, I am pooped, and think I will take a nap.    Afterward I will work most of the rest of the day remoting in to my office, trying to get ahead so I can actually take Friday off.  No holiday goes unpunished....

And the dogs, who are currently gated in the kitchen drying off, will probably go down and roll in the mud as soon as I let them out again...

Twocat - how long is your travel day to get to Hong Kong?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, wrapping up time at home.  DW and I took her pups to the detention pond area (fairly large and fenced in so they can run around without leashes).  After that another 7.6 mile run.  Decent pace, decent weather; first views of the sun in a while.  Need to get packed and get ready to head out.

Have a greta day everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - I’ve never thought about it before but I guess, except for tying shoes, right vs. left doesn’t really matter in running. Maybe I’ll pay more attention to what foot runners start on when the Olympic Trials start rolling around. I’m right-handed but, after deciding to work at it, became a good switch hitter in baseball and dribbing/shooting with either hand both regular and behind-the-back too ala Bob Cousy. 

Image result for bob cousy behind the back shot images

One circuit of three mile Hillside trails and thousand stairs in the dark from 6am-7am followed by rising sun circuit from 7am-8am. Some idiot must have run out of yard leaves to rake and seems to have foot-raked several of the entry points.. . .

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature .Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

ps wildchild - good job on the 15 floors of hospital stairs.  I'm surprised more don't do it.  However, I haven't been in a building stairwell since college days when it used to be possible to hop up 12 floors on either leg for skiing on one leg

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - that looks like a lovely place to run (and stairclimb)!

KSA - I posted this on FB, but here is a picture of our Monkey Marathon 2012 group.  Left to right is Esther, me, Steve, Carolyn (Wildchild) and Paul (Pfriese).  And Erika, notice I am wearing my Equinox Marathon shirt.....

Image may contain: 5 people, including Holly Slone Schultz and Steve Schmit, people smiling, people standing, tree, shorts, outdoor and nature

dnaff

Hey all.  My pie baking daughter is also very computer savvy.  She worked with me for quite a while on the whole posting pictures to RA thing and finally determined that it is my browser preventing the uploading.   Now, beyond that I can't explain it, but she said to get off my HP laptop and pull out her ancient MacBook and try again.    I will get after it later and report in.

One daughter is safely to her place, the other, plus dog and son in law are at the 1/2 way point of their trip.  She sent me a pic of Iggy Pup snoozing in his kennel in the way back of their SUV.   Normal routines here can now be resumed.

I ran 4, a bit over dressed.  Pulled off my gloves after mile 2 and my earband after mile 3.  Long sleeves and light tights were fine tho.  Sunny, cold breeze, and no traffic.  Such a good day!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey all.  My pie baking daughter is also very computer savvy.  She worked with me for quite a while on the whole posting pictures to RA thing and finally determined that it is my browser preventing the uploading.   Now, beyond that I can't explain it, but she said to get off my HP laptop and pull out her ancient MacBook and try again.    I will get after it later and report in.

Good luck. I'm using my now 14-yr old laptop and dread having to give it up.

It is such a treat to be able to post pictures after so many years of not.

Tramps - sorry about your loss.  What year was it?

Holly - here's about half way up the 110 stairs I like to go up, . . .

after coming down a narrow constriction with a trail between

the upper and lower trails that are connected by six staircases,

including Mr. 110.

Image may contain: plant, outdoor, nature and waterps - my original black, Equinox t-shirt from 1990 is threadbare but I wear the yellow one Erika got for me as much as possible in the fall when the leaves are yellow too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - that looks lovely!

Dnaff - how did the pie turn out?

Thanks for the start, Jay, and good for you getting out there!  Good starts and lots of accomplishments by all of you so far this Sunday!   I ran 3.5 miles over at the path on my way to the Monkey finish area.  My legs are SO tired.  No soreness- just tired.  I think when you walk a lot in a race you get a lot less sore.   Beautiful day here for the Monkey. Started chilly (34) but is now in the 50s with bright sun.

Holly- I saw that picture!  Nice!  I've seen Paul at several Monkeys.    I went over there today in large part to see my co-worker/SVP finish.  He did the early start.  I don't know how I missed him- since I was watching carefully- but I did.  I can't wait to hear what he thought of it and the park and if he wants to kill me for helping him get into the race!   Anyway- the one glitch was that the grass field where everyone has to park turned into a mud pit and all the cars were getting stuck leaving.  Of course, I had no worries since I have a big truck- and then I got stuck!  I put in in 4 wheel drive, which didn't help.  I was in a panic, and no one could get up to the exit area anyway since stuck cars were in the way.  Somehow I got my truck loose and headed off across the field next to the one where we parked and looped around to the exit.  Whew!  I don't know what is going to happen with everyone else- especially after the beer tent.....    Another successful Money in the books.

Jay- I really don't care about being competitive anymore. That's the odd thing.  Sitting here now I feel perfectly capable of entering a race just to be there-  and sure enough in those last few days I will have extreme anxiety.  I guess it could be worse.  I could be afraid to drive or fly instead of just being anxious about races.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth