Masters Running

Christmas Eve Day - Master Runs and running around (Read 417 times)

Happy Christmas Eve Day everyone. Hope it finds you happy and surrounded by family and friends. For those of you doing last minute shopping ... what have you been waiting for? Christmas? (In my best "Mom" voice ...) This morning was a warm one here, but the breeze kept the humidity manageable. Good thing too as this is Tempo day. 10.1 miles total in 1:26 and change, 2 miles warm up. Then ran 6 continuous tempo miles at 8:14, 8:02, 8:09 (the "hill"), 7:57, 7:58, and 7:51 min/mile paces. Ended it off with 2.1 miles cool down. This one felt solid but hard. This evening will be spent at Church celebrating and singing Marathon Choir sessions. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Nice run there Bill - still looking good! Yesterday was quite the day for me, after work I headed home a bit early to shovel the snow off the decks before the anticipated rain we are supposed to get today. If that freezes on top of the snow that was there it makes for such a mess and gets pretty heavy as you all know which isn't especially good for the decks. Anyway after that I did my hill work out ( a mini one so to speak to squeeze it in) - 4.01 miles - 30:20 - 7:34 1 mile warm up - 4 x 1/4 mile hills with 1/4 miles recovery jog - 1 mile cool down 7:55 - 1:35 - 1:58 - 1:34 - 1:59 - 1:33 - 1:59 - 1:31 - 1:58 - 8:14 After I got cleaned up, one of our daughter in laws called to tell us she was in the hospital with our oldest son (Eric). It appears that he passed out while preparing breakfast yesterday morning and after a day full of tests etc. they think he has Viral Menangitis and has been admitted. If he responds well today then he will get to go home for Christmas, otherwise he'll be at the hospital. I guess we'll know more today, obviously we're hoping and praying for the best, but also thankful that it isn't anything more serious. Eric is a residential electrician and works outside and in basements and crawlspaces a lot so who knows where he contracted this. Have a great Christmas Eve everyone!
        So sorry about your son, Bob. I hope he gets released today. Be careful when clearing the snow off your deck -- a Massachusetts man thought he had a good idea, but it didn't pan out so well (click here). No run for me this morning -- PDR and I are meeting some folks from our company's running club, and will run to a pub, get fed and pickled, then run back to work (well to the parking lot, at which time we'll drive [carefully] back home).

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, Nice solid run Bill! You're looking good. 10.10 miles of hills @ 9:05 pace....beautiful morning to run 39F & overcast. Maine...we almost lost our son to bacterial meningitis a few days before Christmas back in 1993. He had flu like symptoms for a couple of days and on a Friday night my wife became really worried and we brought him to the Emergency Room. Had we not gone to the Emergency Room that night, we would have lost him by the next day! It is an extremely fast moving disease. He was in intensive care for almost a week and the following week, my wife had a miscarriage and was also in the hospital herself...not a fun Christmas for us that year! Hope your son is OK. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice and solid Bill! Nice repeats Maine Nice Pubing Lou! Bet the distance back is longer.. stagger, stagger Smile Track speedwork for the first time ever. One mile away is a nice track at a private middle school which has the same track surface as Duke's. Wow, what a luxury to run on bouncy, good gripping, flat surface. I debated whether to runthese 6:50's or 7:00 so I just ran a hard sustainable effort so I could still do another after the 6th 800m repeat. About 70-80 sec recovery between repeats The first one was way fast due to the great feeling track then I settled in: Splits (6)/ dist/ time/ pace / AHR/MaxHR Split 1 800 Meters 3:20.45 6:43.21 159/173 Split 2 800 Meters 3:31.37 7:05.18 160/166 Split 3 800 Meters 3:26.57 6:55.52 164/169 Split 4 800 Meters 3:26.38 6:55.14 163/169 Split 5 800 Meters 3:26.81 6:56.01 164/169 Split 6 800 Meters 3:25.52 6:53.41 165/170 The HR was no where near VO2Max though. My plan is to increase these to the 10 Yasso 800's (10 repeats where the average time should predict marathon time). This was a good start. Overall 7.1 miles in 55:38 (7:50 pace AHR 153)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Sweet Steve. Just Sweet. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Maine... Our fingers are crossed for your son' recovery. Pretty serious stuff.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Like Berger, I'm looking at marathon choir singing sessions today - in two states - but I wouldn't have it any other way. May sneak in a run between PA church this morning and NJ church tonight, if the rain isn't too much of a deluge. Looking forward to my first-ever Christmas day run on the boardwalk tomorrow. Big grin I'm determined to run, even if only a few yards, no matter what the weather! Won't have internet access until tomorrow evening, so just wanted to pop in and wish every one who celebrates a Merry Christmas and everyone else a happy day. I'm so grateful for the gift of running and for the inspiration I get from all of you! Happy Holidays! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

3 miles in the snow...lovely {{{{{{{{{Bob's Son}}}}}}}}}}
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                    Mariposai

5:00 am 11F snowing 4 recovery miles on fresh fallen snow. May you have a joyful and peaceful heart today and always.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

OK, so clearly I did the "skim and post" thing too quickly the first time, hence the missive that was all about me. Embarrassed Special hugs and prayers to the Mainerunnah family. {{{Bob and family}}}}} Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone. Yuck, I have to work today, but thats ok as I have a lot of paper work to get done. Wow, some super runs here this morning - Bill, Bob, Peter, Steve....WTG guys, but you all are making me envious Sad. But I will be back out there soon enough, huh? Lou, that sounds like fun..be careful. Happy Holidays to you too Eliz...have a great day. Good news...I hope. I lifted wights at the Y last night, and afterwards I could very very lightly stretch my left AT with no pain. No, I am not going to run anytime real soon, but is a little encouraging for me right now. And boy am I sore...I did 6 sets with 15 reps on 19 of the 20 machines, that's the most I have ever done before weight lifting. The only machine I can't do because of my foot is the leg press. Well, since I am at work....um, better get some work done. Have a great day Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

I'm sorry Bob. Hope he's okay and you get some good news today. Hey Perch. Nice job! It's a balmy 50 here. i'm headed out for a few with the Saint after we finish our coffee. Is anyone here doing Rock n Roll in Arizona? My friend Kelly (Tim's roommate in Indianapolis) is looking for someone to bunk with. Spareribs
                              Track speedwork for the first time ever. One mile away is a nice track at a private middle school which has the same track surface as Duke's.
                              Speedy repeats! We have a new school with a nice track that is also about a mile from our house. I think they lock the track, though. Do you have to sneak in, or is it unlocked? Is it common that these are unlocked? I have a vague recollection that this was discussed in the past, but don't remember what the consensus was.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Bob--guess I missed that the first pass, too. Not a great way to go into Christmas, but hope everything will be fine shortly. Happy holidays of whatever sort you celebrate to everyone here. Best wishes to all for a Happy, Healthy, and running New Year. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.