Masters Running

Monday, September 25 daily (Read 39 times)

Mariposai

Good morning dear running friends. I hope your weekend was relaxing and refreshing so you can embrace the new week ahead.

As for me, I am having a fun and nurturing time at the twocat's. Mrs. Twocat and I had a lovely 5 miler yesterday. I am still trying to figure out what distance to run today, but first will be driving twocat to his PT appointment.

Here is a picture taken on our first night of "culinary art session" directed by magnificent cheff, twocat.

In the picture, right to left: Mrs Twocat, our friend Chris and I.

Tonight's lesson: smoked salmon. Yipieee.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good morning Mariposai and those yet to post. Great picture of the ladies preparing dinner! I'm sure Twocat was giving exact directions on how to prepare everything. And nice of you to take Twocat to his PT appointment.

5.62 miles this morning, and probably ran close to 4 of it. I feel like I'm making progress, but it's been a slow, painful process. Finished up with 20 minutes of weights and core stuff, and plan on walking 18 holes of golf this afternoon if the mosquitoes have eased up.

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Looks like a serious skills challenge.  I bet the results were delicious!

No run today - just spinning and lifting.

Ran 7 miles yesterday - quite slow - because:

Ran 22 miles on Saturday - 2:59.  Felt pretty good until the last mile.  Now I'm questioning my pace for the Hartford marathon in 3 weeks.  That's supposed to be a training run for the Chickamauga (Georgia) marathon in November.  I was going to go at 8:30 pace, but I probably can't hold back that much when I'm in a race setting.  Restraint is not a part of my vocabulary.

Joe618

Morning all...looks a good cookfest there!!   Super busy weekend for me, besides running a marathon on Sunday.

I finished the Back on my Feet Marathon in downtown Indy yesterday in 4:48:14.   I was kind of "meh" about the time yet the old saying that "every marathon has a lesson" is, once again, quite accurate.   I was "meh" because I set out to run 4:15 and was on track for that through the halfway point, doing just under 2:07 at the half.   But my glues and quads got really tight and it was clear I wasn't going to get the turnover for the second half, so I idled back, shifted to a 3/1 run/walk and just enjoyed the second half, which took 2:41.   It was a beautiful morning, the vibe was nice, the cause of the race was a good one (helping homeless find jobs and stability), so it was all fine.

One fun thing from the race..the vast majority of the participants were on relay teams...it was a 12 lap marathon course, about 2.2 miles/lap.   Lots of four person teams.   Only 14 solo marathoners signed up and we had the lowest digit bibs.   And the RD knows me, she won the women's division of the marathon I was the RD for last April, so, out of kindness, she assigned me bib #1 !   Ha!  That's the closest I'll ever be to being Kenyan.  And, since I was so slow and most were done by the time I was finished, it also illustrated the ancient Biblical text that "The first shall be last".

The fifth time I've run this race and it's a good one.

Rock the week, folks,

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

anneb

Good morning, masters.

Nice marathon, Joe! I think it's important to be able to adjust as far as marathons go. Most of us are out there awhile, so you definitely want to make it as enjoyable as you can.

3.8 miles around the dark neighborhood this morning. 57 which is still tank/shorts weather for me but it's nice to be a bit chilly for a change! My headlamp batteries need to be replaced which I failed to realize when I headed out, so I was wearing that for no reason... Luckily, I managed to avoid any acorn hazards. I'm really liking the fall weather we are having, I hope it lasts. We generally have a pretty short fall here... 

Anne

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice marathon, Joe, despite the 12 lap format!  Lucky to get the #1 bib!

PBJ, nice to see you posting!  Good luck at Hartford.

Looks like Mariposai is having fun visiting the Twocats, and cooking up a storm!

Jeanne, nice to see you running again!

Holly, that stranger walking into your house sounds scary! Glad he was just drunk and not dangerous. I saw a post on FB that a mountain lion walked into a motel in the foothills near Boulder, because they had left the door wide open… I’ve been in the habit of leaving my back door open on nice days, but now I’m rethinking the wisdom of that!

I am so thankful that I have a wonderful bunch of running friends!  It took a while to find them, because some of the other groups I tried were all younger and faster and left me in the dust.  The trick is to find an ultrarunning group - even if you don't run ultras.  Ultra runners are happy going at whatever pace for however long anyone wants.

Yesterday I did an excellent runventure with 6 ultrarunner friends.  We did the second half of the Devil on the Divide race course (I ran the first half of the race two weeks ago, but had to forgo the 2nd half because of  my recent knee surgery).  The second half is on some trails that are not clear or marked, but we ran with two guys who mark the course for the race and run a remote aid station, so they showed us the way.  We also picked up some stray race flagging that the sweeps missed.  It was hard and beautiful, and I'm definitely signing up for the 50k race option next year!  We did 15 miles, with 3400 ft elevation gain and 5400 ft elevation loss.  (point to point run, which involved shuttling cars).  Here are a few pictures.  Sorry, Twocat, no underpasses or overpasses...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

...nice Racing joe......

=========

40-min ARC......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

No run today. I'm physically exhausted.

I ran 6 miles Saturday morning around Niagara Falls. Then off to the family reunion which was excellent. A cousin that I spent a lot of time with growing up was there. He now lives in Phoenix and we've never attended on the same year. It's probably been 30 years since I've seen him.  I told him that seeing him in person again was on my bucket list so now I can cross that off.

Of the 32 (or is it 34?) cousins almost all that are alive now were there this year.  (5 have died.)  Many have kids and grandkids. One of my cousins hosts the event every year around the time of his wedding anniversary so he has friends that show up too.  Over 2 days, 300 people are there, but fortunately, not at the same time.  He puts up a big tent and bands play in there in the evening.  There is a pig roast - one pig in a smoker and one buried under ground. A huge bonfire, fireworks, and the annual hula hoop competition (complete with age group awards.)  People camp out on his property.  It is called Pigstock and this year was the 17th year for the event.

I have 1 uncle still living and on Sunday morning we sat around to hear his stories and ask questions. He did the same thing last year too. They grew up very poor and many of his brothers and sisters did not finish high school.  He was the only one that went to college.

3 of his brothers (my uncles) fought in WWII (army, marines, air force).  One fought at Iwo Jima. He died a couple years ago and would never talk about it his time in the war, but someone asked him about the book & movie "Flags of Our Fathers" and he said it was very accurate to his experience, so I have ordered the book to read.

And, we may be getting close to a mystery about my grandfather, Sherwood Earl Whitehead.  (Sometimes he went by Sherwood and sometimes by Earl.)  For years, there was a rumor that he was part of the 2012 Olympic team as a race walker. No one can confirm it.  My uncle researched the Buffalo newspapers from the early 1900's and found articles about Earl Whitehead in various walking events, and one article (in 1911) listed him and one other person as "Olympic material."  Perhaps that is how the rumor started. He also found an article where he complained about the officiating and sounded like he was being a bad sport.  Our uncle is going to get us copies of what he found.

Tramps

I won't mention the f-word after seeing Green Bay and Minnesota results. BTW, the Pats are done this year; we had a good run.

More importantly hockey season begins Oct 3 for us. 

Congrats on the marathon, Joe.  Interesting format.

TW--sorry to hear the hip's not doing well so far out.  That certainly doesn't sound normal.

Nice to see PBJ.  I remember when I could run a PBJ special. (Sigh.)

Carolyn has the best pics.

Dave--That sounds like a great family reunion tradition.  And surely the internet--with Olympic team rosters readily available--is helping to clear up many such family rumors.

Speaking of family.  My 96-year-old aunt died this past week. She was the last of her generation in my family. My siblings and I were noting that we're up next. 

Our roofers were supposed to be here tomorrow but had to reschedule due to the incessant rain. And everything's so saturated now that just a normal rainy day turns into localized flooding. This gets very old.

No ride yesterday due to pouring rain most of the day. Rain continued this morning so I waited until it had tapered off to a drizzle at lunchtime to run. Honestly, though, it was a miserable humid slog.

Be safe. Be kind.

Nice race, Joe.  Lots of loops!  I know some folks that did that as a relay.    Love the pictures, posie and Wildchild.

3.1 treadmill miles this morning because it was either raining or about to rain outside and I didn't want to deal with it.   Not fun on the treadmill and it was hard to keep heart rate down with the warm basement and boring TV news, but it's done.   I had a 3 hour training class this morning on Emotional Intelligence.  We tried to have a good attitude about it, but, frankly, at my age that ship has sailed.  It was a little bit fun in parts- and it's over!

2 treadmill miles after work-  heavy rain today and some flooding around and it feels like a swamp.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...thanks tramps//.....I see the doc next month, hopefully he'll have some suggestions.........

if I keep

not sleeping

it could affect my mind.............ok, MORE.........

===========

xtra-

20-min x-bike

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hey Masters!!

Posai - loooks like you are having a great time in CT!! Any chance you are making it up to Boston?

PBJ - I just can't get past "hold back" and 8:30 pace in the same sentence 

Joe - cool having #1 bib, sounds like a fun race!!

I'm slowly working in a little more running but taking it very easy. Today was the third week of mixing in some running with walking and today did 3.5 miles alternating 3 min running/2 min walking. I am aware of that area where the bone contusion was, but no pain. I am promising myself to make this a very slow, recovery plan and really add on the mileage very gradually (frustrating but necessary)

Saturday I enjoyed my last bike ride in Maine - did 18.5 miles then a short run. Took my bike home today as we are closing up Columbus Day weekend and next weekend I'll be working.

DH started on the Columbia Gas job today - interested to see how his day goes. They have electricians coming in from all over MA and out of state to help with evaluating existing electrical systems in the 8,000 homes affected by the explosions. They are planning on setting people up with electric heaters and other things until the gas lines can all be fixed. My son was very fortunate and is in an area allowed back in with full power the day after the explosions. So many friends are displaced and/or juggling right now - crazy!!

denise

Quickadder

And, we may be getting close to a mystery about my grandfather, Sherwood Earl Whitehead.  (Sometimes he went by Sherwood and sometimes by Earl.)  For years, there was a rumor that he was part of the 2012 Olympic team as a race walker. No one can confirm it.  My uncle researched the Buffalo newspapers from the early 1900's and found articles about Earl Whitehead in various walking events, and one article (in 1911) listed him and one other person as "Olympic material."  Perhaps that is how the rumor started. He also found an article where he complained about the officiating and sounded like he was being a bad sport.  Our uncle is going to get us copies of what he found.

I assume you mean the 1912 Olympic Team.

A quick search on Wikipedia gave me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1912_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_10_kilometres_walk

It appears the 10K was the only race walking distance that Olympics, with 23 competitors of which 4 represented the US. Samuel Schwartz, Edward Renz, Frederick Kaiser and Alfred Voellmeke.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Dave59

I assume you mean the 1912 Olympic Team.

A quick search on Wikipedia gave me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1912_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_10_kilometres_walk

It appears the 10K was the only race walking distance that Olympics, with 23 competitors of which 4 represented the US. Samuel Schwartz, Edward Renz, Frederick Kaiser and Alfred Voellmeke.

I believe that it's correct but you might be surprised to know that everything in the internet is not complete and sometimes not totally accurate, even in Wikipedia.    We've been trying too figure out how the rumor got traction. My uncle had to actually physically go some place to be able to search Buffalo news from 1900-1915 in detail.

It is a well known fact that the Whiteheads (my mother's side of the family) like to embellish stories.   So maybe one of them just made it up out of thin air.

mrrun

It is a well known fact that the Whiteheads (my mother's side of the family) like to embellish stories.   So maybe one of them just made it up out of thin air.

I can't imagine people embellishing stories - my mother never told the truth when a lie made a better story - now her 3 children hate lies!

TW - my brother had a hip replacement and he never mentioned not sleeping. I'd call the doc's office - they might give you some info over the phone.

deez - good news about your son. following this makes you realize how awful it is for some of the families.

posai - enjoy CT and the food!  deez is right - you should arrange a boston stop while you're here.

power walked around 4 this morning followed by one visit to friend in assisted living and then tea with another friend who hadn't spent time with in around 20 yrs.  ready to open the wine and enjoy a low-key evening.

marj