Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 5.2.17 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday's magnificent workouts:

Dave (4 warm, humid, morning miles)

Tramps (6 butt-kickin' miles with H&H & pollen & flies)

RunnerKSA (5.1 miles with 1 deer sighting)

BerthaSlayer (1 streak-preserving mile)

Catwhoorg (5 rainy, breezy miles)

Tet (5 morning miles, beating the rain)

Holly (20 min with light weights)

Spacityrunner (5.6 miles with the trail gang)

Tramps - "SRD" is Scheduled Rest Day. Sorry about your nasty weather.

Take care of yourself, BerthaSlayer, especially if that congestion persists.

Congrats on the successful rummage sale, Fatozzig, and on moving around more comfortably.

Right you are about the goddesses, Tet!

I hope your back/flank feels better today, Holly.

Good choice of running over work, Spacityrunner!

I took DW to the airport after work last night so she could get down to her DS and BIL to help with whatever needs to be done. We figure she'll be there at least till Saturday/Sunday, when she'll hand off to another sister.

I had a dream early this morning that took place at a road race, and I woke out of it when I couldn't get one shirt off and another on just before the start. Mibee I'm trying to figure out what to do about the 5K I'm supposed to be in on Saturday, for which I don't know how my damstring will behave, and which looks like it'll be rainy.

I was going to go out this morning, but it was pouring rain when I got up, followed by some thunderboomers that were loud enough to be house-shaking. So I kept the cat company, and did lots of different kinds of stretching. Now I gotta get to a 5K race committee meeting, so see ya'.

Have a good Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Jay.  Yep, I heard the boomers and rain right around Jay o'clock whilst snuggled in bed.  By the time I got up, it had stopped.  Thus I used a technicallity to avoid "running in the rain".  I did get rained on, but it was after I started dry.  But nature of another sort intruded again and 5 turned into 2 miles.

Glad your DW's family has quite the support system.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

3.1 back home in middle Tennessee.  Blue skies.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Leslie-- we're sharing in your cautious optimism. Hope you keep improving.

Holly--good restraint on core work until you're fully healed up.

Erika--we've had screens on for over a month. The bees are often the first to show up. Mosquitoes come later here; right now deer and horse flies are starting up. Around here, when you're running, deer flies bite more; horse flies are bigger and get stuck in your throat when you swallow them sucking air on a hill. 

We had the front come through last night here too.  A bit cooler and very breezy this morning as a result, which was nice.  8.5 on my hilly route.  The knee still doesn't like downhills at all so I slow way down on those.

Well, it wasn't pretty but there's some hope left for the Caps:

One down and three to go.

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

Just under 5 miles that started out dry went to mizzle and back to almost dry.  it was a slow run not for speed but for stops - first to write down the last 2 sentences of a memoir i'm writing, then multiple times to smell the lilacs, and phone call to henrun while we figured if our routes would intersect - they didn't - and we met back at the house

spent yesterday morning sifting mud at the latest dig.  the soil is coming from a cistern that unfortunately has water seeping in.  finding lots of pottery pieces, bones, nails and some glass from 18th century

good runs yesterday and hopefully the ouchies are starting to heal as we reluctantly listen to our body

enjoy whatever weather you're having!

marj

Henrun

3 miles in the above mentioned mizzle.

Didn't hear any thunder boomers- they would have awakened me.

pfriese

A beautiful morning for a "make sure I didn't hurt nothing marathoning" 5 mile recovery run around the park. I felt great but will take it easy with nothing but easy running for a few days (though i do have my eye on a local 5K on Saturday).

Have a great day everyone.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Wind is the word of the day here, gusting to 45mph and it is quite chilly.  DD has two lacrosse games tonight and I texted her to wear her leggings under the skirt and bring extra black shirts to wear under her uniform tank top.  She has stolen all my black race shirts - 2 from the Flying Monkey Marathon and one from the Equinox Marathon, plus a LS nike tech shirt, and she layers them if it is cold.  Hopefully I will get them all back, as apparently she has lost my UA mock turtle.  When I saw her stuffing my Equinox shirt in her bag this morning I assured her that dire consequences would fall if she didn't bring that one back.  

5.2 miles for me on the TM today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

it was a slow run not for speed but for stops - first to write down the last 2 sentences of a memoir i'm writing, then multiple times to smell the lilacs,

Nice marj.

If okay to ask, what are the two lines?

Anyone else take notes too?

I do.

ps - we can see the purple lilacs

here in the PNW too but still

too new for any fragrances.

Beat the rain again in this morning's five-miler under cloudy skies so hope these two wetless days in a row will suffice to help cope with tomorrow's threatened sunny skies and heat wave up into the seventies for the first time in six months.  Wish me luck.

Spacity - your trail pace of 16:18 would be an outstanding 27-hour century with nine hours left over for feasting, 4-6 hour nap, resting, etc. along the way in the 36-hour limit ones.  Even 20:00 would be 33-hours with three spare hours.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunch weather was actually about at seasonal average, so after the heatwave we have been having it was delightful.

Unusual occurrence, I was almost back to the office, when a funeral procession passed. Obviously this being the South, everyone pulled over. I stopped my run, removed my hat, and bowed my head until the procession had gone.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Today I followed the coach's orders and continued with just the rest/1 mile recovery day to alleviate this cold. I am slowly getting better. I am going to try to run tomorrow something more substantial.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Just finished cutting the grass in weather like Holly described: cold, windy, and occasional drops of rain. But there was no choice since we're leaving on our trip to Omaha tomorrow and I'd be in trouble if I let it go another full week. Ran 5 on the TM this morning instead of braving the conditions and my next run should be Sunday morning for a 5K in downtown Omaha.

Will be checking in from the road as conditions permit...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Spacity - your trail pace of 16:18 would be an outstanding 27-hour century with nine hours left over for feasting, 4-6 hour nap, resting, etc. along the way in the 36-hour limit ones.  Even 20:00 would be 33-hours with three spare hours.

I, too, was wondering about those 2 sentences of Marj's.

40-45 min of core and upper body strength training last night.  I actually worked up a sweat!  Could be because it was warm in my little workout room, but I'm going with sweat from exertion.  

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

I, too, was wondering about those 2 sentences of Marj's.

Ok - I'm taking a memoir class and our assignment is to write a memoir about a journey.  I decided to write about the bike trip where I met henry.  while running, these two lines came to me "Three years after we met, we stood under a hoopah with our children and grandchildren in attendance. My parents would have kvelled to see their rebellious daughter married to a nice, Jewish doctor."

I was telling this to my GD2 this afternoon and had to explain both kvell and rebellious to her...

marj

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice, Marj!

Doug, have a good trip to Omaha, and hope the 5k is fun!

Jay, I hope your DW's sister and BIL make a full recovery - how nice that the family is pitching in to help out in shifts!

No running in the rain here; it's snowing.     6 miles around the neighborhood in light flurries - it started snowing hard just as I got in the door.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.