Masters Running

Sunday 4/19 Day Before Boston Runs and Anticipation ... (Read 527 times)

I was thinking of Maraposai and all the Boston runners this morning as I tooled around town on my 5th of six 20 mile run. You all inspired me and I don't think I've ever had an easier nor better 20 mile run. Thank you all. 20.2 miles in 2:59 and change. I ran easy and under control till about mile 15. In fact many of these early miles were sub 9-minute miles but the HR during this stretch was an amzingly low 135 to 140. At 15 I knew I was feeling so good, so I picked it up and finished very strong. The last 5 miles, every mile was faster than the one before and the last 2 were sub 8:20 minute miles. My HR dropped to zero over this stretch. So either I died and finished off the run as a ghost, or my HR strap battery died. A serious confidence booster this one was. 68° and 54%. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Excellent run, Bill! 5.5 recovery miles for me today, followed by 30 minutes of core and weights. Now I'm off to church with my husband and kids. I can hardly wait to read Mariposai's RR, but no time till later. Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great run Bill, glad to hear it was the battery that died and not you! Wink Well today was the last run before the little jog to Boston with about 25,000 of my running buds... Big grin Sunday - 3.01 easy miles with 4 x .13 pick ups thrown in the second mile - 25:27 - 8:28 - Avg HR 130 Max HR 158 Sunny, windy & 44° So do I list my goals for Boston or not...hmmmm...what the heck: 1 - The most obvious - finish healthy 2 - 3:35:59 - that would be a Boston PR and of course a BQ at Boston 3 - 3:19:27 - that would be a marathon PR 4 - ?????? - I'm not giving this one up We'll see how things play out, the weather is looking great with the exception of what looks to be a pretty good head wind for most of the way. As long as I stick to my hydration and fueling plans and the little issue with my right hamstring behaves I should be fine. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, especially my fellow Boston racers. Now to read Mariposai's race report.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning... Wow Bill, that was a great 20 miler! And great that you felt so good, you picked it up the last 5...yes, glad you are still with us buddie. Wish you a great race and speedy legs Bob. Holly, enjoy Church with your children and Husband! 12 miles yesterday that was supposed to be a wave run. 12 miles - 8:45 ave pace. MP miles (7:55) (7:53) (7:58) But after my 3rd MP mile my HR was super high and wouldn't come back down, so I just ran the rest of the way home easy. I think my cycling 51 miles last Thurs caught up with me yesterday, and it was pretty warm out by the time I got my run in. Shin didn't feel too bad while running, but hurt very bad afterwards. My doc gave me some pain patches to wear on my shin - Lidoderm - but wanted my first run to be without the patch, and my second with the patch to see how much it would help while running...will find out soon as I am waiting out a storm before my run today. Off to read Nancy's RR. Hope everyone has a Blessed Sunday! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Just got back from loading up on pancakes down the street from our hotel. Looking forward to meeting up with other KR and RA runners this afternoon. It's a beautiful day in Boston today, and there are runners everywhere. So exciting! Mariposai got us off to a great start this weekend.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Well done, Bill. Nice to see you can run ok, Tim. I had planned to run a bit this morning but I think my run yesterday was fine. We did some unexpected walking last night and I started thinking about my glycogen stores. It's all in the bank, and today's run would have just been to keep loose, so it's all good. Hey, mainerunnah - are you reading your email?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Henrun

Yes, it is a beautiful and exciting day in Boston. We just returned from watching the 5K and talking to many other runners. Good to be aliveCool.
                  Hey, mainerunnah - are you reading your email?
                  Hey Lou sorry about that...I just got caught up this morning. I'll zap my cell # off to you. I don't know what we are doing yet...I think I'll be heading back to the Boston Athletic Club immediately following the marathon for a shower etc. Then we'll have to see what happens, I would really like to head over to see you all. Thanks and good luck tomorrow.
                  Tramps

Carolyn—wow, that’s quite a storm! Punk snowman? Cool. Great run, Bill; that’s got to feel good. One last good luck to any Boston runner/supporter checking in here! I ran my Hillypalooza 14-mile route today (8:31 pace), which I think makes a good basic “long” run when I’m not training for anything in particular. ETA: Great to have Rose Colored Burly posting here again....even if I can't keep her name straight anymore. Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

wow - awesome runs already this morning..........i once again went to bed too late and didn't get up early enough for a decent run so will plan on one later.............but first church and then to Robin's to meet some of the gang!! have a beautiful Sunday friends!!

denise

Slo

Good Sunday All ! I got out for a nice and easy 6.56 to wrap up the week. I had two great quality runs and a fantastic long run this week. Today I managed to keep the pace above 8:45 and will also try to do the same tomorrow. It's raining the rest of the day......perfect excuse for an afternoon nap !

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

as another warm-up to the Boston Running Party, happy 50 miles of running to italiano dea francesca in her Mt. Si 50-miler ultra-anniversary today. Sorry I couldn't've joined Robert in the 50K part. Francie'd never run more than the local 5'n'10K funs, an annual half mary and a single marathon up in Vancouver some years ago but in a few short weeks last year did 50 miles (April Mt. Si - 9hr/54min/41sec), 52 miles (May Redmond 12 hour endurance trail run) and 100K (May Twentieth Century on same Mt. Si course). Happy ultraversary dea francesca. hope there's no snow this year. 69° | 48° Right Now - 49°F Humidity: 83% Winds: SSE at 7 mph

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all. Hope everyone is well rested and relaxed for tomorrow. I made it out for a very nice run this morning. My first full lake loop!! 3.3 miles with about 2.6 of actual running. I've decided that I have a much lower red line for the moment, and stopped a little sooner than I had the first two runs, prior to any real discomfort.. Seemed to work well with about 1/4 mile breaks. slow but sure, I guess. Now to get ready to go visit with all the folks at Robin's. Hope people will like my pasta al forno I made. Probably not a great idea to take a first attempt at a recipe out for company, but I thought it tasted pretty good. Excellent run, Byll--they seem to be coming easy at the moment. I don't envy your conditions starting soon. Holly--you're married? Shocked Who knew? Wink Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Great run Bill! What a way to start us off! Thanks to you and Maraposai and also Francesca's jouney to ultra-runner, and Stumpy's return to continuous running....and all of you really---I ran my first 12 plus miler in a several months. 15 miles at 8:57 pace over a hilly course on this very windy and sunny Sunday in Western, MA. I feel a bit tired, but otherwise fine. Good Luck to all the racers tomorrow. I'll do my best to keep the wind at bay---you all "just" run.

King of PhotoShop

Everybody is running well on this gorgeous day, and all the Boston people seem excited, even those not running. 5 slow at the lake today. Was supposed to go long but felt tired the whole way and said heck with this! Spareribs