Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 1.9.14 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Mike, I really try to be courteous and fair to everyone in our meetings, and I think one would have to push pretty far before I'd start to get unpleasant. Great run on the TM yesterday! Take care of that blister and heel.

Nice outdoor run, Marj. Thanks for the tip on the book. I sure wish I had time to just sit and read...

Good follow-up run to your previous day's speedwork, Mariposai.

Glad you're back online, JBG.

Good plan to stay injury-free, Enke.

Tammy, being sidelined is never exciting, so I'm glad you're starting to get back into part of your regular routine. Sorry about the sad graph, and I hope it'll be happy soon.

Nice sproinking in the balmy, Tramps.

Nice, tough TM workout, Holly.

Good on you to get in a "WONDERFUL" pool run, TomW!

Fast 10er, CNY! Shorts by Sunday, eh?

I love your definition of 'politics,' C-R - thanks for making me laugh!

Twocat, sometimes being able to choose one's poison is tall we get. Good for you for getting the job done.

Great photos, Deeze! I don't know who looks happier in the shot of you and the kid. You're getting in some great workouts, and you'll be in amazing shape come Spring racing season.

Nice TM workout, Evanflein. Thanks for the weather report too!

I learned yesterday morning (from our Town Manager) that my friends on the Budget Committee had not voted to accept our Conservation Commission budget. I assume that was an administrative oversight that will be addressed at their meeting tonight. If they don't vote on it, our budget for this year goes to $0. I was so hoping that all this nonsense was finally done...

I woke at 3:45 this morning, but had absolutely no motivation to get up and out. So I decided, since I am already well on my way anyway, that I'm taking this week off. I don't know why, but it seems that every January, I have to work hard to stay motivated to get out there. I think a lot of it has to do with the poor road conditions from snow/ice that really disrupt my workout schedule. I also need to register for a race to give me something to focus on, but the pickings are slim this time of the year, and it seems we have other plans on the few weekends when there are good races. So it goes...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Yesterday I got 5 in on the TM with 8x440 at 5k effort.  Today was a trip to the gym for a TM warm-up and some weights.

Been handling a hundred different issues at work.  Basically going crazy.  Had a meeting yesterday were the manager started ripping everyone for not getting anything done.  How bad we are at big projects, blah, blah, blah.  I've been through meetings like this many times over the past 30 years, but I thought this new manager was different.  Guess they're all the same after all.

lamerunner

Good morning. Count me as another on the barely running this month list... DD brought home a lovely upper respiratory crud from Colorado to join us for Christmas; after coughing and drgaging around for over two weeks, I finaly went to the doctor yesterday-- bronchitis and costochronditis ( inflammation between ribs from coughing so much--the most painful part of this at the moment).  I had been soldiering on last week with about 40 miles of running, inlcuding a 9-10 miler on a snowy rail trail up in Andover, NH at DS's skir ace, but once the rib stiff started, I decided a break was in order.   I may try to swim later if my rib feels ok. Maybe a run tomorrow...

Ski race season is underway, with both the USSA weekend team and now High school team in full swing. First high school race was yesterday, and DS did very well. There are several strong skiiers on his team; two of them crashed the second run though, so he ended up fourth overall and 2d for the team. Nice to be good at something as a freshman...they almost won the meet, but the two crashes cost them a few points.  I had forgotten what a variety of ski experience you see at the high school races!

DD went back to school yesterday, after her first flight scheduled Tuesday got cancelled. I plan to send Jet Blue a bill.. they refunded their interpretation of a one way fare, but the new ticket cost much more and got her into Denver too late to take the shuttle bus to Co Springs, so she had to take a car service at much greater expense. Grr. She is taking an avalanche course the next few days then skiing until classes resume. It was nice to see her over the holidays, and she seems to be doing well at school now.

I am woefully behind here, but very cute grandbaby, Denise! and good running everyone. Mind the polar vortex!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning Dave and Jay and everyone else.

Jay, I know that feeling.  Hitting my 1000 felt like OK, I met the goal, now I'm done.  The weather hasn't helped, but the new goal for the year doesn't have a great deal of urgency quite yet.  I think a race is what's needed.

The wind finally died down this morning and I made it out for a whopping 3.1 miles in 17 degrees.  I planned on more, but never felt quite right.  Ended up with some parts hot and others cold and a sore butt cheek to boot.

Dave, glad to see that management is working hard on motivation for the new year.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Been handling a hundred different issues at work.  Basically going crazy.  Had a meeting yesterday were the manager started ripping everyone for not getting anything done.  How bad we are at big projects, blah, blah, blah.  I've been through meetings like this many times over the past 30 years, but I thought this new manager was different.  Guess they're all the same after all.

This sounds like it has the makings of a great "Dilbert" cartoon. Work on that Dave, would 'ya? Really, I'm sorry. Your new manager sounds like he could use some classes on motivation.

Just a temporary pause in your season, Jay. You'll get your mojo back.

Sorry about your crud, Lamerunner. Just getting over it myself and it took over two weeks.

Ran 6 miles on the track yesterday (trying to mix it up between the mill and the track, just so I don't totally lose my mind).  It was -18° here this morning. We've had 64 consecutive hours of below zero temps here, starting last Sunday.  Warm weather coming this weekend, but now they're predicting freezing rain/snow. I feel like I'm stuck in the movie "Groundhog Day"

4 miles on the elliptical this morning, 3 on the recumbent bike and 30 minutes of weights and core. We had a nice little birthday party for one of our members when he came in at 6:00 AM. He's 82 and works out every day. Just a really great guy.

Stay warm everyone.

Tramps

Sorry to hear of the cruddy illnesses (lame) and cruddy meetings (Dave).

Glad to hear of Tom's "wonderful" workout.

EZ 4 at lunch.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Been handling a hundred different issues at work.  Basically going crazy.  

This part sounds like my week...sorry about the new manager.  Maybe soon he will be the old manager.....

Sorry for the fly-by but it's a busy day at work....

4.6 miles on the TM, followed by weighted squats and dead lifts.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I'm with Lame on the no running thing.  I got sick over the weekend and haven't run a step all week.  Went to Missouri and worked and just got home an hour or so ago and haven't been on this site either, so I have nothing to add about running.

The good news is that I am 100% healthy and can't wait to run tomorrow.  It's also my RP's birthday so she and I will have a celebratory b'day run, whatever that is.

Called home last night from hotel and got Prime Rib. Everyone else was out. So he's telling me about his workout, then what he had for dinner, then as an afterthought he mentions that D Magazine has named his upcoming art show one of the top 5 to see this weekend in Dallas.  Of course I am bragging to everyone.  Here's the link:

http://frontrow.dmagazine.com/2014/01/5-art-picks-for-the-weekend-conduit-dallas-contemporary-re-gallery/

This afternoon I'm working packet pickup for my Club's race on Saturday, although I'm in no condition to run it myself. Bummer. Spareribs

janie b good

jay, enjoy your week off!

lame, get well soon!

dave59, sometimes I miss work.  I smiled HUGE just picturing you doing the "blah, blah, blah" face (and I've never even seen you IRL!).

3.25 t'mill miles.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

janie b good

ribs ... congrats to your son!  and glad to read that you are feeling better!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Spareribs congratulations to your DS!  Quite a feather in his cap.

Today I am happy to report it is only miserably cold instead of unbelievably cold.  Either way, it was going to be an elliptical day for me.  Tomorrow I should be able to go out for a run in the morning.  Then I have a long drive to see some real estate agents about disposing of my DW's aunt's house.  Oh joy!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Jay, it sounds like you had a tough meeting, but you prevailed.  deez, great pictures.  lame, sorry about the crud but it sounds like your son did well in his ski race.  tomw, keep on fighting the good fight.  ribs, congratulations to Prime Rib.

Nice long runs for CNY, Twocat, and Mike.  Good job on the speedwork for Holly, deez,  and Dave.

This morning, it was about -4°.  I did 8 miles on the TM at 11:04 per mile.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just checking in real quick.  Did a 7 mile run on the treadmill, while watching youtube stuff on my ipad.  It sure made the time go by faster.  I hope to be going outside, tomorrow.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

Easy 4 mile dog-jog with Hudson this afternoon. No frozen paws for him or for me.

Thawing and melting all around....!

Good to hear your DD is doing well at school lamerunner, but sorry about the crud. My Tuesday flight to CO was also cancelled (cancelled by the airline on Saturday night). I was lucky to find out so early. I am sorry that was not the case for her.

evanflein

Holly, I've been so happy to be outside for most of the last several days (over a week!) but we're in for a cold weekend and week ahead so I'll be spending more time on the treadmill. I do like to try to get out at least on the weekends, if possible.

Glad to see you, Lamerunner! Hope the crud is on the way out. We noticed a lot of folks coming back to work sick after spending the break with their kids.

Yeah, I can see Dave's "blah, blah, blah" face too. There's a bit of an "issue fatigue" problem with being a long term employee. You've just seen so many crises come and go, and yet... there's always more to do.

Glad Spareribs is feeling better, too. Nice feature for Prime Rib, but I'll admit I don't really "get" some of his work....

Jay, I've thought of taking a week or so off sometimes, but after a couple days I get antsy and pretty hard to live with. Missing two days is a good break, but I do like a rest day or two in a week. Rest days used to bother me, but now for the most part I can appreciate them. I must be growing up as a runner, right?

7.11 miles on the treadmill tonight in one hour exactly. Calling it an interval run with 4 x .5 mile bits @ 8:00 between mile 2 and 5. Felt kind of hard for some reason. Not sure why this is a low energy week. The last time I did intervals, I did 6 of those and finished with 4 400 m bits at 7:30 pace. There's no way I had that in me tonight. Oh well, good thing it's a lower mileage week by plan.