Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 2.3.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Our cat (Minnie) is generally well-behaved. She even came out to socialize a bit at the party on Sunday. In the winter, she liked the warm air in the bathroom while I'm showering. So I put a small towel on the counter, where she snoozes at showertime. As soon as I get out, she rolls over for a belly rub. It's tough being a cat's slave!

8.2 challenging racewalking miles at J o'clock, in 36F temps, and under gauzy skies. Rain is coming in this morning, so I was glad to get my workout done early. I worked my way into today's workout, starting out easy, and pushing a little harder as I went along. Each mile was faster than the one before, and I was moving well by the time I finished up.

Gotta go - This is a BWB (breakfast with the boss) day, so I'm on my way.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Morning Jay and all to follow,

I also went out early, but not Jay''s distance - just a tad over 3.  Glorious bright red sunrise bringing to mind "red sky in morning, sailors take warning" as we're getting the same rains/winds.  Lots of runners and cyclists out there - I don't envy the cyclists coming home later.

have a great day,

marj

Slo

5 recovery paced miles this morning. Still pretty breezy. At least it isn't hot air from the politicians!

Marathon Maniac #957

My running time was cut short this morning by a request from DS to review and edit a paper he is turning in today, and then by the need to drive DD to school for a before-school club meeting.  Ah well, such is life.

3.3 miles for me on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

My running time was cut short this morning by a request from DS to review and edit a paper he is turning in today, and then by the need to drive DD to school for a before-school club meeting.  Ah well, such is life.

3.3 miles for me on the TM.

Youre a good mom. I still get those requests even though my youngest is 20.

Water aerobics today post 12 mile run. I think water aerobics is the only reason I can still run. It melts away all the post run aches and stiffness. Too bad the music is 'greatest hits of the 1950s'. After class I 'detox' in the car on the way home with some Smashing Pumpkins.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Laurie--were you the youngest one in the class?  Just a wild guess.

Nice RW morining, Jay.  And yes, it was a beautiful sunrise, Marj.  Made me wish I carried my phone with me on runs.

Today's run was supposed to be 40 minutes at tempo.  Made it about 4 miles until I found a previously undiscovered rock in the dirt path around the lake.  I then discovered that frozen dirt feel remarkably like pavement.  Minor damage to both hands and one knee, but was more relieved that I did no harm to my good running jacket and tights.  the last two miles were a little slower, but still managed to get an overall pace around 9:20.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...mornin' guys//..........back from Knoxville,

been there since Saturday

and

w0w do these guys get Fog///////////

other than SleepDeprivation, it was Fun

========

got in 1-PoolRun and 3-RW's ranging from 30-min to 60-min

and I use the term RaceWalking Loosely

............already 50s here, and going out for another 60-min work-out

...............................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Too bad the music is 'greatest hits of the 1950s'. After class I 'detox' in the car on the way home with some Smashing Pumpkins.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

55F

5.15 mostly walking a few bursts of running.

King Leonidas and I went for a big walk in the Swamp this morning since today was supposed to be a zero run day. He was a very good dog and we enjoyed the warm morning and solitude of the trail. Although there were a few other dog-walkers and a couple runners out there, too. Leon loves other dogs and every one we met today greeted him with a generous mutual sniffing.

Yesterday I made Spareribs' Asian Chicken Soup incorrectly. I added a clove of garlic, I sauted that in olive oil with the grated ginger and lemon zest. And then I added the hearty chicken stock that Ralph had cooked down and picked on Sunday. This would have been fine. Except. I did not clarify the stock well enough. (broth was a bit greasy because of this error).  And. My fatal flaw was tasting it while it was too hot and so I added an extra tablespoon of the lemon juice.

The funny thing about this was that the rocket scientist and I liked the soup until DS2 said, "It is too lemony". And then we too tasted too much lemon. HA!

I used chicken and vegetable potstickers because I went to 3 stores and could not find Chinese Egg Noodles.

Jay, how was BWB?

Marj, my dad used to say "Pink sky at night, sailors' delight. Pink sky in morning, sailors take warning"

Slo, Iowa has weathered the storm. Look out New Hampshire and the rest of us.

Holly, keep up the good work!

Laurie, you make water aerobics sound appealing. I just have never been good at "classes". I am glad Smashing Pumpkins undid the oldies damage.

Stumpy!  Be careful out there!  I am so glad that you didn't rip your tights!  Oh my!

I was thinking about Tammy's friend's tragic demise. I hope that the perpetrator is apprehended. Because this sounds like foul play. I hope that I am wrong.

But I also got to thinking about Wildchild. With no reliable cell coverage on your trails/mountains, I would not carry a cell phone. BUT. As I was walking in the swamp with Leonidas today, I thought you should carrry some sort of beacon or transmitter. At first I thought a flare! That could be shot up in the air but, if nobody was looking for it... SO then I thought about those devices that skiers use in avalanche areas. If you were out there in the wilderness and ran into any kind of trouble, be it stranger danger or natural disaster... it might not save your life but, it could help search and rescuers find you sooner. Is this morbid thinking?

Mariposai, I wish I could be on your team. Your work is so wonderful and good.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

TammyinGP

Good Morning All!

Today is a good day for our rain to shower us because I'm busy again from morning til night so wouldn't be able to run anyways. Later this afternoon and into early evening, I'm a judge at David's debate competition. His school is hosting this one and various schools from around So.Oregon will be there. it'll be interesting.  This is also final week for him and he's pretty stressed about it all. Has 3 big finals today with his hardest being AP World History. He's floating right now at 88% in that class so if he gets an A on final, he'll get A in the class, but a B on the final will be a B in the class, which would be his first B ever and in David's mind, that's simply not acceptable. I try to get him to lighten up. This is by far the most challenging class he's ever had and it's ranked as one of the most difficult classes in HS.  He's such a perfectionist, so I just really hope he does well on this final.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting thoughts about carrying a phone or beacon, RCG.  For a beacon to be useful, someone would (1) have to know you were not back when expected, and (2) know roughly where to look for you.   If I go running when no one else is home, and don't tell anyone where I'm going or when I'll be back, a beacon would be useless.   I think a phone makes more sense, because if I was hurt I could maybe get to where there was cell service - at the tops of the hills seems to work better.

As far as Tammy's friend Todd, I don't know if he had a phone or anything, but depending on what happened to him, it might not have mattered.  Certainly if he fell and hurt himself it would help, but if he hit his head and was knocked out, it wouldn't help.  Or if there was foul play involved, which I hadn't heard speculated before, it wouldn't help either.

All this talk about safety had me thinking on my run yesterday.  It was too snowy to run trails, so I ran the plowed dirt roads around my neighborhood.  I wasn't carrying a phone, but there were a few cars out and I was on public roads, so if I tripped and broke my ankle or something, I could have flagged someone down.   And one of the vehicles that passed me was an ambulance!

No run yet today - I'm waiting till it hits double digits this afternoon.  It was only 2° when I got up this morning!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hoping David does well on his final.  And it sounds like mom has a challenge ahead of her in being completely unbiased in her judging, even though her son will be part of the competition. 

Stumpy - At all costs, save the good running clothes!

Rosie - I don't think you're being morbid at all.  For the past almost 3 years I've been running by myself, and there are times when I've gotten far enough out at the McKay that I've been a bit uncomfortable and wondered how long it would take rescuers to find me.  The Hub has a general idea of where I go run, but he's never been there.  I wear a SPOT, but to "call" rescuers, you have to physically be able to hit the SOS button.  It does, however, give someone the ability to get on the 'net and "see" where you're at.  So if you don't show up at the appointed time, your designated person who you let know where you're going can get on the web site (you have to give him/her your login information) and track you.  It gives me a little extra comfort.

Jay - We are definitely slaves to our cats.

And Shorty dealt with Wilson this morning (well, tried to), then I got PO'd and kicked everyone outside around 3:40.  Not much satisfaction given I had to get up at 4:30.  . . . . Rome wasn't built in a day . . .

6 miles this a.m. with what was supposed to be 4 x 1/4 mile hard hill repeats.  Well, I don't have any place in my predawn running route with a hill that long.  Most are about .20 or a tad less.  Regardless . . . it was ugly.  I need to work on these.

I've talked about the McKay Tract.  It's timber land that's owned by Green Diamond Timber Co.  The company allows access to the property, but you're supposed to obtain a pass, which is free, and during the logging season, for safety reasons, you have to adhere to the rules of when access is allowed.  The guy who hands out the passes is a retired deputy sheriff.  BIG dude, huge hands, a gruff voice, but a real nice guy - - so long as you obey the rules.

Anyway, last year he was nice enough to meet a group of us ladies to hand out passes, and yesterday I made arrangements for him to meet with us again this evening.  Last year probably about 12 showed up.  This year it looks like it's going to be over 20.  I'm thinkin' I should probably call and give him a heads-up, since I estimated 12-15. 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi, Carolyn - We posted at the same time. 

2 degrees??? Brrrr!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five more commuting miles on The Red Baron with a red dawn breakin’
                              Maybe it’s all the attention the scumbags of the world are getting today,
                              but I’ve recently been really moved by the noticeable thoughtfulness
                              of other bicycle commuters, e.g. putting a gloved hand over their otherwise blinding oncoming headlamps into my eyes and then, this morning, when I stopped to take a picture or two of the red dawn breakin’ and Mt. Rainier shaking off the morning cloud cover, speeding cyclists much faster than I can ride anymore and who don’t know me from Adam slow down to ask, “everything okay?”   Maybe that’s what heaven is like. I hope so.
                              ps waterwings - I might like aquarobics too
                              if it was to the hits of the fifties.
                              In fact, I’d probably like anything,
                              even nothing, if it was to the tunes of the fifties.

pps tammy - what kind of school does david
                              go to that they have finals the first week of February?
                              ppps safety measures - maybe leave a note on the kitchen table with flight plan, ETA’s etc.

In those days when that was all we had, I’d make a little cairn or arrow with sticks

if I ever left the beaten track.  I can’t imagine anyone who’s a real runner

out for an afternoon lark bothering to come to a halt though

and go down to a creek that probably isn’t that potable.

I guess we’ll find out eventually.

I hope so.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Tet - it's the end of first semester - so it's those types of finals.

As far as my friend, Todd, he was not carrying his cell phone on this particular run because he wasn't planning on being gone long and it was just a "short run" for him. Although even if he had it, I'm not sure there is very good cell coverage in this area. But he'd been running these trails for 16 yrs and knew them better than just about anyone on the rescue team, so there is that false sense of security that one has when they know their routes and trails so well and are very comfortable there.  His wife wrote this yesterday: "So today I met with the Chaplin and Sgt that headed up the Search and Rescue operation. I am still not sure about the gloves, but it does seem that Todd ran up Bandersnatch to Lamb Mine up the back side of Pete's Punisher then down Pete's Punisher to his final resting place. When Todd got down Pete's he vomited. His hat and Star Wars Buff were never found, but it seems logical that after vomiting, he would have tried to clean up in the creek, and that is when things went horribly wrong. Either he passed out and drowned or slipped and hit his head even though there were no abrasions and then drowned. I wanted to communicate this to you so that you felt it was still safe up there and that there was no foul play. It was just a horrible accident."

She has amazing strength - this Saturday is the Couples Truffle and Love Stinks 5K (for all us single runners) and her and Todd ALWAYS run in this and wear the cutest costumes. She is running it with the chaplain and Sgt of SAR operations. Then after the race, they are going to go with her to the trails that Todd ran on last Thursday when he died. She is in the midst of planning his memorial also, which is expected to draw at least 500 people to attend, so it's no small feat.   I also just saw that Trail Runner Magazine did an article on him.  This not only rocked our community, but the running community at large. And Todd was such a humble person that I'm sure he never could have imagined the impact he had on others. He only wanted everyone to love running and have fun while doing it.

eta: sorry, i'm not very good at keeping my promises.

eta2: pretty amazing and quite the testament to the generosity and love of the running community that in less than 2 days the gofundme account has raised almost 16K.

Tammy