Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 10.20.13 (Read 51 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

It's 5 o'dark and I'm the only one up (what a surprise...). I've fed the cat, showered, dressed and packed for today's half, and am now having my pre-race snack. I'll be leaving in a while to get some gas and then head up to Maine for the race. We had a blast at the neighbor's dinner party last night (celebrating the completion of the extensive renovations they did to their house, which is gorgeous). I tried to have a small glass of water between each glass of wine, which meant that I drank a lot of water. We were there late, so I only got about 5 hours of sleep last night. My last long workout was two weeks ago, so all-in-all I'm not feeling wonderfully well prepared or rested or nourished for this race. On the other hand, rather than being a target race, this is a 'warm-up' for next weekend's half. It's weird going into a race with no expectations, but it is also kind of liberating. So, while I'd like to do well, and I don't want to completely embarrass myself, I'm just going to use the drive time to get into a good mindset, and then we'll see how it goes. I'll check back in later or tomorrow morning.

I hope your Sundays go well.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck, Jay.  Have fun!

Marathon Maniac #957

It's weird going into a race with no expectations, but it is also kind of liberating.

I do this all the time...Big grin

I'm sure you will do great, though.  Enjoy!

Here's DD being baptized by her favorite youth pastor last night.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good luck Jay! Good morning Mike! Good morning Holly! What an awesome picture of your DD. I can tell she has her mother's hair Smile

4.8 miles this morning in a beautiful blue sky dabbed with streaks of pink and fluffy white clouds and a comfortable 34°  Gloves felt good today. Off to clean out the garden ahead of predicted snow flurries this week.

Happy Sunday everyone - go Packers!

Good Morning all, haven't been posting anything lately but have been trying to keep up.

Ran my first ever half yesterday in Cincinnati and was pretty happy with it, a 1:39:09 for a

second in AG and 60th OA. A little stiff this morning from the 6.5 hour drive home though. Stretching

and the foam roller for today. Happy running!

Good luck, Jay! Also great time, runr_nut. I should do a half or so in Cincinnati -- my old home town -- someday, but I distinctly remember all those hills...

It was just too dark and cold to leave for the 8AM club run this morning, especially since a lot of people wouldn't be there on Detroit Marathon day, so I ran an easy 6-miler out my front door about an hour later. It's been getting progressively colder each morning, with today barely at 40F and it will be into the 30s in the mornings later this week. Maybe I can get more enthused about the early runs after we go through the time change two weeks from now.

So how did you all do in your races today?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Just a quick fly-by post because I am sooooooooo excited I can't contain myself!!!  Ran Baystate 1/2 marathon this morning in 1:51 - that's over an 8 minute PR for me!!!   SOOOOOO PUMPED!!Big grinCool

Have to shower and head out to help my son move into a new apt but will check back in later!!

HOLLY - love that pic of your dd -- congrats to her and to all of you!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

Good luck Jay.

Neat pic Holly.

Runrnut, any half in the 1:30's is a pretty good effort. Well done.

11 at easy pace this morning with two friends out at the lake. Now to finish packing and off to Seattle. See you all back here on Thursday.

Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday, all.  By this time Jay should be done and I hope the race met all of his expectations and more.

Runr--WOW--that's quite a first half!  Not sure what it must feel like to be that far up in the pack.

Staying up to well after midnight to watch the Sox beat the Tigers is probably not the ideal way to prep for a long run (and probably cruel to mention right after Roch's post).  But it was a great series and even though I slept in a little longer than I planned, I made it out for 11.1 miles on a gorgeous fall morning.  Longest run since the marathon at the end of June.  and faster than any of the shorter runs earlier in the week.  and even small negative split for the 2nd half.  Very happy with the results.  I guess there may be good reasons for tolerating the sucky runs.

Interesting difference in traditions-- the church I grew up in baptizes you when you're a baby.  Somehow this makes more sense.  Congratulations to DD.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Hey folks.  I've been AWOL this very busy week but I have been skimming the daily.  I noticed a couple of mixed reviews of "Gravity" and wanted to mention we just watched "Europa Report" on Netflix disk, which was very entertaining.  A nice taut sci-fi thriller that sticks close to scientific plausibility, rather than being a sci-fi fantasy.  Family-friendly, too.  Worth a look if you like that sort of thing.

Drive-by 10K report.  Really a tempo run, but it was beautiful Fall weather and just a great morning.  I didn't go all out, feeling relaxed all the way through, and still manged a 45:13; very good for me, though not nearly good enough for AG placement.  Odd course with lots of turns, two 180-degree turnarounds, a brief single track trail section, a Confederate cemetery loop, a highway breakdown lane section, and some nice rolling hills. How's that for 6.2 miles?

Have a good week; it's gonna be another scarce one for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

an amazing likeness

Introduced myself to Jay at the starting line today...9AM...completely forgot to say "Good Afternoon" since he'd been up for 6 hours by then...dang it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mike E

MM #5615

Holly--that picture is very cool of your DD...and even cooler that she made the decision to do it.

At our church, we're baptized as infants, but reaffirm our baptism at confirmation...when we're old enough to understand what that means.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

with all the good racin' goin' on, I was hoping to report I can still break one hour, or at least a sub-10m/m in a last minute 10K this morning but it turned out 1:02:56 (10:09m/m).  oh well.  However, it turned out to be 1/5 in AG70-99. Mr. no.5 would have been first too if there'd been a 75-79.

October's been a PR month for a lot of the goddesses over the years but I sure never heard of eight minutes for a half.  Congratulations.

Holly's enraptured DD. That's beautiful.

ps - go ahead and check the trail race map but just take your cell phone, maybe a space blanket and don't waste your time worrying about it.  It's way more fun seeing how the scener unflolds along the way.

Speaking of scenery, the pace group signs at the start this morning went from 6m/m - 12m/m, then "joggers," followed by "fast walkers", and finally, "enjoy the scenery."

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I'm a little behind since I haven't posted since Thurs.  C-R, it's neat you got to run with your son.  Also, C-R, I'm one of those dealing with dementia with my mother.  I think that it's great that you've got her in a place where she's safe and comfortable.  My siblings and I take comfort from that in our case.  We also are happy when something pleases her, even though we know it will be quickly gone from her memory.  It's always nice when she does, or says, some little thing that reminds us that some small part of our mother is still here.  Tammy, congrats to your son on his XC win.  tet, great picture of you with your daughter.  Mike, I'm glad to hear of the good night with Eric.  jlynne, good job in your 5K with a hamstring that behaved.  runr, congrats on your first half, and a speedy one at that with 2nd in AG.  deez, kudos to you in your half with big PR.  tet. nice 10K with 1st in AG.

Nice long runs for wild, Twocat, sarge, ribs, and stumpy.

Yesterday morning, it was in the low 40s and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:15 pace.  This morning, it was in the high 30s and there was a light wind.  I got in 3 miles at a 10:55 pace.

Yesterday, after my run, we went to our son's.  It was a great day.  He had two of his oldest friends come to spend the afternoon and evening..  The three had been buddies all through elementary and grade school.  Growing up, they spent a lot of time at our house and the houses of the other two.  Yesterday, they were there with their wives and sons.  The parents of one of the other guys were also there.  It was so neat to see them as responsible young men with families.  There was a lot of reminiscing and happiness.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

YAY Deez!!!! congrats!! that's an excellent time and super PR!!

Tammy