Masters Running

july 5 daily runs etc (Read 580 times)

it's a brand new day, and a perfect swedish summer one at that - blue skies, sunshine, and 70s. DH and i slept in until 7:30, despite this being only the second day of jet lag, and went out for a 5-miler (he walks, i run) followed by the trademark fjord dip and beach bake on the warm granite rocks. oh yeahSmile good runs, susan (without pelle, who is back in washington at "summer border collie camp")
      Thanks for the start Susan. That sounds like a lovely day and a nice start with your DH. Goodness………I certainly had an interesting day in here yesterday huh? When I am starting to write my daily post each morning, I usually come with no idea or plan of what the subject matter will be. I personally do a lot of reading that includes about 7 online newspapers each day prior to checking in here. From this reading I often get an idea. I also have several other writing “projects” that I daily do and sometimes I can borrow material that fits from one of these, to post in here. One of my goals in writing is to make us all THINK. At times controversy can be used to aid in the thinking process. Yesterday was the Fourth of July, the birthday of the United States. It was an easy day to figure out what I would write about……our country. Of course, a writer has their perspective on a topic that is unique to them and this may or may not reflect the view of others. Being a Boomer in a Boomer thread, my age and memory will sometimes be used to reflect on some aspect that has changed from the days of our youth. Unfortunately yesterday’s thread became an article that some people were uncomfortable with. While my intent was not to offend any body in saying what I did, I do not apologize for making us think about the changes that have occurred in our society. I had already stopped adding anything to the post yesterday four hours prior to Spareribs last post. The reason for that was because I was NOT happy to discover that I had upset Lou (WRFB). In hindsight, I can see how it happened. This past week I had been reading some demographic studies on the voting history of various classes of people. This included a study on how people who attend church vote compared to those who don’t attend church. Ironically, last night I had coffee with a gentleman who had been out west at a think tank conference that related to the voting of various segments of the American people. Trust me this is a hot topic in this election year. With THAT as a background, I stated in the thread that (quote) “(from) what I have seen, …it appears that church going people are more passionate about freedom and the direction of the country”. What I FAILED to say and what Lou did not realize was that this had been part of a study that I had JUST read this week. Probably if I had explained this earlier when Lou commented the first time, this would have solved it. Anyway, hindsight is always better. Now Lou, I want to go on record as saying that I do NOT think of you as a bad person, I do not question your desire for freedom, not do I think you have a lack of patriotism. In reading my posts these last couple of years, you should KNOW that I would not intentionally try to hurt you or put you down. That being said, will you forgive me for my insensitivity for how this came across to you? I should have taken the time to explain what I was basing my comments on rather than simply saying that my statement was on oversimplification. Now Spareribs……..you also know that I greatly respect you, however I think your comments to me were overkill A friendly suggestion to be careful of what is posted or an email to me in private might have been a better approach. Obviously you were offended and I apologize for that. However, you did not understand what was being said. And what is this statement about me “winning”? I have no idea what I was supposed to be winning in your mind. I was talking about the formation of our country. While commenting on statements it became important to show the fact that God was a huge part of that history. At no time in yesterday’s thread did I ever state what my beliefs are as they relate to God. If I had promoted a certain religion or a faith, then your censorship might be warranted. I am not actually a religious person, which is probably a surprise to some. However, that does not eliminate the fact that I have extensively studied the relationship of people and countries as it relates to their belief in God. Most of what I wrote yesterday was pure historical information with a couple of my opinions given on points of that history. You cannot give me one statement that I made yesterday that cannot be backed up by an account of HISTORY. Goodness, even my opinion statements are not original with me. The point I was making was to say how our country started out compared to what it is today in regards to the inclusion of God. I did not say whether that was good or bad. Now with all of that being said, will you forgive me Spareribs for offending you? You know that was not my intention when I typed those facts yesterday. Now, where do I go from here? First of all, I have apologized to Lou and Gregory. Hopefully they will find it in their hearts to forgive. Are there others who are truly OFFENDED by what I said as was suggested? I am not asking if you disagree, for certainly it is possible to not agree with someone without being offended. What I want to know is if YOU were offended. If so, please say so and let me publicly apologize to you. Folks, I would like to think you KNOW my heart. From the dozens of posts that I have given, some of which I am sure some of you may have scratched your head over ……and some you have probably ignored, I would like to think that you know that I am not one who tries to cause trouble. To have offended these two men, I do not pass off lightly. Lou….I want you to know that I care about you. Gregory……I want you to know the same thing....I care about you. Now, in evaluating what I need to say next, I am perfectly willing to say that if ONE person steps forward in this thread today and asks me to stop posting, I most certainly will do so. I am not here to promote any belief, political party, church or myself. I am here to enjoy the friendship of other runners and learn from you. Be aware, it certainly is possible that another time I might say something that someone will object to. That does happen. Numerous times I have been offended by things some of you have said or how you said it in our posts but I never voiced it. Opinions are like noses……everyone has one. You share yours and I can be free to share mine. I never woke up yesterday morning saying…..”Let me tork off my friends”, but in a couple of cases, it happened and I regret that. So again, one person say the word that you want me to stop posting and I am out of here……not a problem. Enke.....for obvious reasons I am not responding to your question in this thread. There are some very interesting priniciples that totally will help you in considering American politics and foreign policy, as well as how Americans think. Having been born in the US and then living in Canada for 25 years has given me a unique understanding of some of this. If you want the information, email me at ....vista129@yahoo.com Thanks for reading everyone and have a great day.
      Vista

Manchild

Susan, nice fiver with the DH. Vista, no harm, no foul. I didn't take offense. Your words made me actually think all day long of Howard Zinn's book, A People's History of the US, all day long. Great book, by the way. I would say that in my opinion, what you should do is do what most people would do in this situation and just roll with it, let it go and move on. I'm about to go out for a fiver myself opting out of the race here today. Weather is overcast and muggy. Be back in a bit... Good runs to all! Chris
        Dave59

Rest day for me. I have some yard work planned but that's about it. More grilling out too. I made some great steaks last night. I enjoyed reading yesterday's thread. I read a lot of philosophy and theology and I am always interested in what people believe and why. I've had that interest since about age 12 I think. (Not that I pursue that stuff all the time. Too many good novels to read and sitcoms to watch, not to mention sports that take up a lot of time.) I don't get offended unless people start talking trash about my Buffalo Bills or Buffalo Sabres. Big grin

,,vista//.......Good Intentions count double............ .......now, if you wouldn't mind explaining that to Pickles for ME......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hell (heck?), I know you didn't mean anything by it -- as far as I can tell you don't have a shred of malice in your body -- I was just trying to bring to the forefront an (apparent) underlying assumption that everyone fits a certain mold. It's good to remember that there are a lot of different types of people and belief systems out there. Maybe religion and politics should be kept out of the daily, but maybe there could be a thread dedicated to that discussion for those who are interested? I was thinking of starting such a thread, for my more detailed response, and just for fun. It could get interesting, especially if folks (myself included) try not to take someone's opinion as a personal attack. Perhaps this is the hardest part of those types of discussion. I don't have time to start that thread now -- I'm about to go for my run, but maybe later.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

DickyG

(Sorry...I also posted this in yesterday's thread by mistake...senility rulz!) =================================================== I'm absolutely thrilled that so many of yesterday's racers posted impressive performances...it really...REALLY...took some of the sting out of my rotten mood after my pitiful Peachtree performance. Of note: Sarge: I don't care what your 2001 time was...31:08 kicks butt. 8:10 uphill mile, 7:29 finish...I'm envious of your time...more important, I'm envious of your terrific attitude. Dave59: Congrats! You achieved your goal of a sub-60 10K...you actually murdered that goal...AND you ran a negative split for the final 5K...unlike a certain other member of this group, not mentioning any names. Bruce: PR? 7:36 pace? Outstanding! Any word on your age group placement? Steve: Awesome race, especially the final 7:35 uphill mile...you da man! You realize, of course, that all prizes must be distributed within the group. Doing my part, I will be distributing to each of you one share in a free waffle at Waffle House and a share of a free car wash at some place in Atlanta. Karin (CNYrunner): Already commented on your race report thread...your talent & determination is wonderful. Enkephalin: I don't know...your splits were consistent, your third mile beat your second even with a side stitch. I'm sure all of us have run race times slower than practice times...it just might have been a bit of an off day...but certainly not all that bad. Also: Holly: Wonderful news on your injury...I really think you were faking it all along so you could be closer to the chocolate: dg: Please contact a professional for nuking oatmeal instructions before you blow up your house. A final note to Ribs: I'm consistently awed by your knowledge on training plans, techniques, setting goals, etc. and your willingness to share this knowledge with the rest of us. Furthermore, I certainly appreciate your final post yesterday regarding putting a stop to to a discussion that got way out of hand. I hereby proclaim that due to your infinite wisdom, you are hereby entitled to an extra Waffle House coupon. DickyG
                dg.

Morning everybody., Morning Susan. ok. I forgot that Pelle doesn't go with you. I'll wave in the other direction too. Thanks DickyG. (hey. another dg). excellent idea. tw, thanks for the video! i have to watch it again. very interesting. where did you ever find that? A rest day for me too. did some yoga this morning (just a little), went to the farmers market, and now I'm sweeping the street; lots of storm debris. Protecting the Huron River. Well, actually now I'm typing. The rest of the day I'll keep working on the new planting bed, alternating with taking care of all the stuff I got at the market. oodles of goodies. I have to switch to protect body parts from breaking. I predict lots of hand washing. Vista, I also would never think you were trying to offend someone. You are always caring & have lots to offer. My 2 cents worth here is that to some extent it could be a matter of degree. This is an exceptional group of intelligent, thinking people. There's a lot we can learn from each other. Yet I don't think the daily thread should be viewed as a pulpit. (regardless of the subject). I think there is a fine line there, & probably again no consensus on where that would be. Maybe this didn't apply, but it's what came to mind. interesting idea on the second thread, Lou. at least for the really hard core stuff. Wink I hope you all have the same weather we have. Erika, I hope you're feeling better. Aamos, woohoo for DH. It's so nice when you're able to post. I know you must be going in all directions at once. (which can be very tiring)
                    Just a little 3 mile run this morning, to work out the kinks and burn a few holiday calories. I have just a couple of comments after yesterday's discussion: 1) generalizations, even when backed by statistical/demographic studies, are almost certain to offend someone, unless the audience is very small and like-minded. We are all complex individuals, and no one likes being (or is) completely defined by a single aspect of their lifestyle or belief system. 2) thoughtful, informed and respectful discussion is not only OK, it's imperative. All is lost if we can't talk about topics that are so important.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I'm still worshiping yesterday's race Big grin 4 Magical (spiritual) Healing Miles with Tory in 38:15 (9:35 pace, AHR 143). Interesting night last night. DW and I went to the Durham Bulls Ball Park where Kevin Costner and his band Modern West played to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Bull Durham. It was great and DW says "he's aged well" Smile. Fireworks were to follow. As he was nearing his finish the "blackest" clouds started gathering. He finished and soon after the skies opened up. He came to the edge of the field by the dugouts and waved to us for quite awhile in the pouring rain. Soon after he left the most intense lightning storm passed over us knocking out the power. No fireworks but an excellent light show. When it let up we ran for the car dodging fallen branches the whole way home to be greeted by a dark house. No power til 3 am. Fun! Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Manchild

My five became 3.5 miles as a little twinge in my right knee reared itself and I walked the rest of the way home. just as well i skipped the five mile race today! Chris ps- I agree with Harriet regarding generalizations offending someone, all too true...
                          tw, thanks for the video! i have to watch it again. very interesting. where did you ever find that?
                          ..actually, when I was looking for something to show you that Shoulder Turn that has been lining up my Hip for the Straight Push-Off ...it was a Win-Win Situation... ..enjoy, hope it helps......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

July 4th run...3.5 miles slow. Then nearly passed out in a Sports Authority store. Dont know why. I felt fine until I went to pay (I would guess prices but I found everything on sale that day). Barely had energy to walk out of the store. Got some food and drink and was fine. This happened twice this week. Once after a long lake swim. When I got back to the beach I had no energy. Not even enough to hold my head up. Couldnt get enough sweets that day which happens often after runs these days. Could use advice on the sweet/no energy thing Laurie
                            Laurie – you posted this on the end Thursday’s thread by accident, I think, so I put it here in case anyone might be able to help you with this. Vista - while I tend to stay out of conversations such as yesterday's, I am not offended by it. Thought-provoking is not a bad thing, as long as everyone feels free to hold their individual views. 13 miles for me today, plus .9 mile walking at the end. I know, I know, this was really pushing it, but I’m such a slave to long run day. Plus, we’re having a party tonight and I wanted to prepare for those extra calories. My butt/thigh pain was chirping at me mildly the whole run, but didn’t break into a chorus until mile 13, at which point I stopped running and walked the last bit home. By the time I had walked ½ mile the pain had diminished back to mild again. Careful stretching and icing, and I think it will be okay. Nothing a few ibuprophen and a good beer buzz won't put to right... Big grin Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

work and coaching have pulled me in many directions and I will now get myself organized and in shape over the summer-starting today! Out for 5 now...
                                Good Morning all, 20.1 miles today with Iron J at 6:15 AM. We were both tired, but since we hit the road tomorrow with our families for vacation, we wanted to get a long run in together. The run went well. We covered the first 10 miles at 9:03 pace and the next 10 at 8:49 pace. It started raining at the mile 4 point and kept right on through the rest of the run. We were drenched and giggly by the end as we jumped puddles. We seem to hit the same groove and churn right along whenever we run together. We talked about the compulsion to get as much done just before vacation and how it always seems impossible---clean and scrub the entire house, weed the garden, catch up on all laundry, do endless errands and so forth. I do love returning to a clean house after time away, but the pressure beforehand gets silly. I suppose vacation is a greater relief after some intense to-do list days. All the Js will be away for work or play, so at least we won’t miss long runs together! We also talked about some of the topics that came up yesterday in the thread. I am grateful for all the different opinions here. I am also glad we are complex. I may be a baby boomer (born in the last year of the boom---1964), but I love defying convention or definition too. DickyG-thanks for the kind words and those Waffle House shares are sounding great right about now! Feel better Erika! I am off to take Super Granny to lunch (after Wimbledon watching) and then finish up the packing. Boogie the beagle is whining since he knows something is up and he'll be off to dog camp soon. Good running, resting, and recovering to everyone. I’ll see you at the end of the month-----behave now and enjoy July! Karin MTA: HOLLY! I just read your post....uh, do I have to fly to Ohio before I head off on vacation.....time for an SST (Self Sternum Tap.....take it EASY!)