Masters Running

Tue Aug 18 Runs and Workouts (Read 423 times)

Good morning!  Still no news (yes, I know I also posted that only 2.5 hours ago Smile )

Good energy this morning -- I think my experiment with the BP meds is working.  It felt nice and cool even though it was 68° and humid this morning.  This may be goofy, but I am thinking the higher dosage whacked out my cooling system.

8.2 miles, 1:06:58, 8:12/mi, AHR 158 (81% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Renee the dog

2 miles into my 4.5 miler....was returning the dog to the house and opened the door to my son in full tears!  He was up early, and Bayside didn't hear him.  So we just sat for the last 1/2 hour cuddling (gosh he must love me if he'll sit with me when I stink!).  Now, I'm going to skip the shoes and head to the beach for the remaining 2.5 miles. 

Have a great one all!

Hang in there while waiting PDR and WRFB!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

NoNo - awe!!   I miss those cuddling times. 

I got out for 2.5 miles this morning with Brinkley.  I thought the humidity was suppose to break last night - but it did not!  ugh....  I run due West for the first part of my runs and the moon and stars are hard to see due to all the trees along the road.   This morning, because it was a shorter run, I turned around by a horse farm and the clear sky was just stunning!   I could see the whole outline of the moon, with only a sliver of it illuminated and the stars just twinkled.   I couldn't help but say "wow" and think of all the people still tucked away in bed, or in their houses missing such a site.     I'm glad I got up .....

2.5 miles / 10:25 pace - heart rate too high so there were walk breaks mixed in.

Tonight is the surprise party for DH.   I haven't had a bit of worry about this until it was time to go to sleep last night, and then I couldn't turn my mind off!

Happy Tuesday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mary, good luck with the surprise party!  I've never been brave enough to try one.  Maybe when DH turns 60 in 5 years.

After my horrible 2-mile TM run yesterday, I knew I had to get my butt out of bed early this morning to run outside.  I made it out at 6:15.  68 degrees and 90% humidity already!  At least the sun was low enough that I was in the shade almost the entire way.  I ran 5.1 miles at 11:08 pace, which I was happy with.  Felt OK, except for all the sweat dripping into my eyes!

We live on a private road that no one has thought about for the past few years ago.  So we're having a neighborhood meeting at our house tonight to discuss what to do.  It needs repairing and repaving in places.  Sigh.  I KNEW I should have organized something years ago, but with little kids and a home business, I just couldn't think about it.  I hope everyone is cooperative - we all signed a road agreement when we bought our property, but I'd rather not get an attorney involved to enforce it.

Stay cool, everyone!!  Good luck, PDR and WRFB!!! 

[whine mode on]

Okay, I'm going to vent for a while.  Bear with me ...

Well, I'm officially tired of running in South Florida in the summer.  Can't it just please ease up a little?  Or can't I just move?  It's taking all the energy out of me.

This morning the schedule was for 10 miles total with 10 x 1 minutes @ 5K pace (7:20) with 1 minute jog recoveries between each.   I got it done but it wasn't pretty.

The first fast bit came in at 12:14 min/mile avg (??? as if ...) with a maximum speed of 107.8 mph (!!!  I wish ...).  Now if i can just harness that max. speed!

The other more "normal" fast parts came in at:

7:49, 7:55, 7:39, 7:26, 7:32, 7:23, 7:20, 7:29, and 7:24.  The pace was all over the place.  And these were only 1 minute repeats ...

It might just be the weather which was brutal.  80° and 76% at 4:45 AM.  But I've been struggling for a week now.  And I am dead tired after this one.  I think it may be time to shut it down for awhile till my resting HR tells me it's time to get back out there.  I'll see what Coach thinks.

[whine mode off]

Dreaming of November,  Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

Lou and PDR - are you sure there really is a baby??  We're getting antsy out here!!

Twocat - those recipes are making me drool....

Holly, Walt, SteveP and Amy - thanks bunches!!  Amy - go for it, but by all means do a couple of bricks before the actual race.  I struggled to run in a straight line for the first quarter mile after I dismounted - I must have looked like a drunk ;-). 

Mary - hope the party goes well!  What are we supposed to bring?? ;-)

Teresa - best of luck with your neighborhood meeting!

70 degrees with 92% humidity here this morning.  Felt slightly better than yesterday (that's not saying much), but we're supposed to set record highs here today (mid-90's).  1 mile warmup followed by 6 tempo miles.  (9:13, 9:24, 9:27, 9:32, 9:31, 9:12); overall average pace 9:29, AHR 157.  9:31 was the target pace. 

We're taking care of a friend's Rottweiler this week which means we have to get up at 4:30 if we're going to get the dog fed and pottied and have enough time for a workout.  It's going to be a long week ;-). 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Slo

Hey gang!

Bill.....I'm glad the H & H finally got to you......I'm tired of it too.

Nono, I came in last night after my run.....I was soaking wet from head to toe. I gave my youngest the option of doing dishes or give me a hug.....She opted for doing the dishes......And she hates doing the dishes !

Interval session for me today. The numbers are better than the actual run

2.5 w/u

Mile 1  6:54

Mile 2  6:58

Mile 3  6:56

Mile 4  6:59

2.5 cool down

9.71 total @ avg 8:07 pace

Mile 3 was painful.......Mile 4 was hard.

Mile 3 and 4 were interrupted so there are short breaks in there.......( Turns out it was just air   )

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

SLO_ very consistent mile repeats!  Awesome!

Lou.. I need to try your cooling system repair drugs, mine wasn't working at all today.

My knee is in the groove,feelinn groovy so I tried Tempo efffort in the 71F, 92% humidity.

6 miles including 3 mi "tempo" at 7:41 pace. Was planning 4 tempo miles at 7:30 but the heat was too much for this first speed work.  By mile 3, I had one little voice saying "stop the torture...I'll tell you everything" and another little voice saying "I haven't started to hurt you yet". Geesh, this will definitely get easier than today's run!

One problem was running by Garmin avg lap pace which said I was running 7:23, 7:38, 7:37 but the actual (measured) miles came out 7:29, 7:48. 7:47.  The effort was there and the knee was fine so I'm really happy!!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Good morning everyone. Wow - lots of h&h today. A cold front passed through early this morning and it was a perfect day for running, 63°, a little breeze and no humidity. I wish I could package this day up and send it to Bill, Teresa, Perch and all of my other RA friends who are feeling the heat and humidity this morning. 8 miles @ 9:57 pace.

Mary - you're close by and should notice the difference by the end of the day, I hope. Good luck with that party!  What's on the menu?

Lou - what's up with that baby? Has your daughter gotten into the "nesting" mode yet? They say you can tell when a woman is going to go into labor when she gets the urge to start cleaning, organizing etc. I haven't felt like that since my last child, which was 1987!  Good luck with your BP meds.

Bill - I talked to my DS in Pensacola last night. He said "Mom, this weather is kicking my butt."  With all the tropical storms brewing, it doesn't look like you have much relief in sight. Hang in there!

Teresa - good luck with your road meeting tonight. Hopefully, everyone will agree on a course of action.

Sue - nice of you to take care of your neighbor's dog. Especially the getting up at 4:30 part.

Nono - how did Bayside sleep through all of that? I never figured out how fathers got the gene that allows them to sleep so soundly that they never hear kids wake up. I enjoy reading about your runs - you're always shirtless or shoeless!

Have a good day good people.

Marathon Maniac #957

The effort was there and the knee was fine so I'm really happy!!

Excellent, Perch!

{{{Nono’s adorable DS}}}

Mary – good luck!

Sue – nice tempo miles!

Breger – perhaps there’s more going on than the heat, although that is a definite factor, but there may be more – an immune response, nutrition/hydration/electrolyte deficiency, or just plain needing more rest.  There’s nothing wrong with backing off a few days and recovering.

Slo – speedy miles there!  Did you have a recovery between them (you did say intervals), or just run them straight through?

Interval day.  72° and 84% - didn’t feel too unpleasant, actually.  I have learned to sweat like a horse.  Smell like one, too.  

For today’s workout, the FIRST plan called for 2 sets of 6 x 400m @ 1:42 (6:50) with 1:30 recoveries and a 2:30 recovery between the sets.  I knew during the warm-up that I wasn’t going to achieve those paces today for several reasons, including some hormonal carp (and maybe genetics, lol), so I decided to avoid looking at the Garmin and just go for fast-but-not-breakneck speed, with the primary goal to finish all the intervals without dying at the end.  Unfortunately, since I wasn’t looking at the Garmin, I completely forgot about the rest interval in the middle and ran right through it, adding an extra interval by accident....

Workout:

2.39 mile WU (ave 10:40), including 4 x 60-second striders

13 x 400m, with 1:30 recoveries (# 7 was a little longer, the 2:30 “rest” interval at a 7:39 pace)

2.98 mile CD (ave 10:17), including 3 x 60-second striders

10 miles total.

Paces for the intervals ranged from 152 (7:30) to 157 (7:50), and the second half of the intervals were slightly faster than the first half.  This is roughly 5K to 8K race pace for me.  I’m happy with the workout.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good morning Smile

well first I want to say THANK YOU Holly & Byll for your comments re my run Sunday.   I really needed that. 

Holly, 4 chin-ups... one at a time?  how many can you do at once?

Bill, nice double.    it sounds like things are going well again.   :-)

Hi LIz! 

Tramps, belated wtg on your 20 miler!!!!   

Slo- same to you.   kind of a scary bonk, it sounds like to me.  didn't know where you were? 

Sue, congratulations!!!    I want more details. 

Lou, I'm glad it's helping so fast!

Mary, what a reward for getting out there.      Good luck tonght.     

Nono, I thought the same as Mary,  awwww. 

ok, I'd better not even read the rest of this morning's posts so I can get back to work.   short (I'll try) post of today's run, yay recovery week.  71F & 90 ish H.  5.52 miles, 10:07 av. pace, 9:14 max. 164 ahr, 174 max.  miles were 10:53, 10:03, 9:52, 9:52, 10:03, & last half at 9:47.      It still felt like a push,  hoping it's just the humidity.  the plan was 5 miles at base pace.  that has increased lately because of the 'speed' work midweek, which I'm glad about.. but may be pushing it a bit.   I will pay attention to H & B & back off on that part a little,   This is a good week to regroup.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, 4 chin-ups... one at a time?  how many can you do at once?

...Er.....

............one......

Okay, maybe two, but not with the full arm extension in between.....

I'm a work in progress.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Slo- same to you.   kind of a scary bonk, it sounds like to me.  didn't know where you were? 

Can't say scary...just weird. I came up to an intersection that I am thru everyday and literally didn't know if I needed to go left or right.  I was definetly experiencing low blood sugar.

Holly......I kept my rest periods below 3 mins.

Marathon Maniac #957

Slo - definitely smokin' - I don't think I've ever had a 6:XX mile in my life.....

dg.

...Er.....

............one......

Okay, maybe two, but not with the full arm extension in between.....

I'm a work in progress.....

I don't think I could do 1.     working up to being a work in progress...

just thought.... well, it sounded tricky to do more than one at a time.   you know?    

oh, I spoke to soon.   ((((Byll))))   a well deserved whine, though I don't think it qualifies for that anyway.   Yes, you can move today.  (did that help?)    You've been monitoring your resting HR?     

btw, funny story about DS's GF.  

happy your knee is groovin Perch.    I had the same weather (like Sue & Holly ) but was slower.   still did my part by sweating.

Holly, nice!  I'm happy with your workout too.  Smile