Masters Running

40's on the run...springtime is runner's high time! (Read 430 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Is it time to start a new weekly thread? Sunday or Monday? Oh well, here goes... So today I felt as terrific as I felt lousy yesterday. Go figure. Anyway did 12 mi (planned on 10) on my hilly route (planned on the flat one) at 10:01 pace (shooting for 11 - 11:30). Must be spring fever! Whee! Big grin Along my route I was surrounded by nothing but smiling people (even one of the kids doing hill repeats) and flowers, flowers, flowers. I think the whole town has spring fever! Arla

Ex runner

So today, I felt as terrific as I felt lousy yesterday. Arla, I hear ya on that! Isn't that strange how things work out like that? Did an easy 3 this morning. First run since my "back" issues. Felt pretty good! 80's all week here so.....I gotta come up with a new plan of attack for getting in some mileage! Have a super week all......Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Nice, Arla. Glad your day went better today. As far as the high heart rate yesterday, just chalk it up to a weird one. One of those times when our bodies decide to say, "Hey! Don't forget I'm not just a machine. Pay attention to me." I feel much better today. I can actually turn my head without feeling nauseated. Isn't it amazing what some good sleep and a few muscle relaxers and a heating pad will do?? Big grin Hub and I were quite a pair - him with his back, me with my neck. So tomorrow I have to start knuckling down again and won't have much opportunity to let up before May. I want Karen and I to do "before" and "after" pictures to see how our bodies change over the next two months. It'll be interesting. Later!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

The sun was out here too and got to the 30's! It's going to hit 60 on Tuesday but then back to the 30's on Wednesday. Go figure. I ran 13 today. An all time high for the year so far with 61 miles this week! Now it's taper time to Boston. I didn't sleep well last night-woke up at 4am and tossed and turned until I got up at 7am. So I actually rested on the couch for about an hour this afternoon-so much for starting my taxes. Glad to hear everyone is doing better. Arla-I saw some flowers in the grocery store today Big grin Jewels, you better get out there if it's 80 degrees! Leslie, rest time is over! Get moving girlfriend so you can kick some butt at the 50K! Take care, Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

flatland mountaineer

Slow easy 4 miles today, cold and windy. I enjoyed my cutback week and got some parts rested. Wink. We had a pretty good week farming, dw got several fields strip-tilled while I fertilized wheat fields. We are far enough ahead I take the time to do my runs and not feel guilty. From the tractor seat of our number one tractor, it won't fly but will drive itself with gps based controls but someone has to be in the seat (won't let me run while its running itself). Big grin

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Farmer Jim - That picture is from inside your tractor?? Holy cow! Shocked Looks like control panel for a 737! Jewels - You and I must have been posting at the same time. I talked w/my SIL this afternoon and she was saying it was a balmy 80 or so degrees in Yuma today. I know that heat's hard to run in, but I sure would love just a smidge of it here. Kelly - A high of 30-something. Ugh . . . Undecided I guess I can't complain too much about sunshine and cold wind (high of probably high '50s). But I am soooo ready for winter to really be over.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

)What a range of temps, health, (and work) iissues around here. Jim, - Now I hate to say it but this LA girl moved to the midwest at a tender age and blurted out "what's a combine?" (THAT turned some heads), ...anyway, seems not so long ago when having an 8-track and AC was the way cool thing in a combine! Now it's gps and ??? Just like running - we have all these gee-gaws, but hey, they're kinda cool, even if ya don't really need em. Uh, wait, I was really concerned when my Garmin pooped out last week. Make sure you know your routes! Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Morning 40's folks~ Jim- that's some cockpit ya got there.Much like the people that have the GPS's in their cars,I'll ask: if the power goes out,can you still find your way home? Roll eyes Very impressive.And good job on your runs.Slow and steady,right? Arla-thanks for starting us out and very nice long run! Smile Gotta love those runs when it all seems to come together nicely. Jewels- nice going for you as well! I'll take some 80's if you want to send some up.How bout running early to escape the heat? Leslie- Good Luck on your new plan.One step at a time as they say.Glad you're feeling better. Kelly- your mileage is really impressive.Keep up the good work!You seem to be right on track!WTG! Cross training this weekend consisited of many hours of being attached to a large deck sander.Nice big deck (25'x45') is great to have until it needs refinishing! Shocked. Happy to be out though doing some early spring projects. Count me amoung the running this week! Went out and did an easy 5 miler yesterday at "whatever" pace.Had 3 full days of no pain in my knee before yesterday,and felt pretty good.A little tight towards the end but otherwise felt good.Going to be slower rebounding this time and taking it easy. Have a Good Monday Confused (oxymoron I think)

Hiya 40's! So are we fit, fabulous, falling apart, or all of the above this week? Arla, thanks for getting everyone started. And WHAT? You Garmin died....NOOOOOO. Was it just a temporary thing? Great pace for your 12 mile run. You're smokin'! Jewels, so glad your back is doing better just in time for spring. Hard to believe it's already in the 80's (here too). Leslie, glad your neck is doing better. That can be so miserable! Wishing Jewels and I could send you and all our more northerly 40's some of this warm weather. It's 80's and super humid here today. Kelly, you're going to Boston...to heck with the taxes! R2, wow, that is some set-up! And I figured that farming was a good way to get away from technology. Guess not. Now as for your wife, strip tilling fields, ahem...what you two do is really none of our business Wink Joe, love your new "Slow down or die" pic! Glad your knee is feeling better too. As for the deck sanding, sounds like you survived your home improvement project without injury...always a good thing. As for me, my body seems to be liking it that I've lost a little weight and am sticking with running 3 to 6 miles on my runs. Had a 5K PR a week ago, and another strong (for me) 4 mile race this weekend. If you're interested, check out my race report for the 4 miler...a good one for many reasons: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/b95d8b576d6542918e680a0145c89148 The jobs are going pretty well...getting my legs under me a little better on the accounting job. Pet sitting has been farily steady, but happily not quite as much volume! Hubby and I are heading to Destin, FL in May, so looking forward to that. Have a great week of running and/or recovering...whichever you need the most!
                    Progress Trumps Pefection
                      Anybody else have Cesar Chaves Day off? Big grin My motto: When the courts are closed, our office is closed. So far, no one at work has ever argued against my theory. After 3 days of no exercise and two late nights, I went out and did 5 mile tempo run this a.m. The route I took, once you hit the 1 mile mark, is a steady incline, some of it sort of steep, for over a mile. It was a challenge keeping the same tempo, and a couple of times had stop and walk for a second or just slow down period. Have been taking my water bottle on these runs with me to get used to downing the 6 oz of fluid at a time every 15 minutes. And it's a nice excuse to have to stop! Tongue Then I came home and did some cross training with a couple of hours of yard work and mowing the lawn. Carol - Glad you've found your "spot" for running and still feeling good. Joe - Be sure to include some gentle stretching when you're done running to keep that knee in shape. Do you ice afterward, too, to keep the inflammation down? And I hope as you were sanding you were using a nice, cushiony pair of knee guards. Hm?? Well, gotta get some transcription done, then I think it's gonna be a nice hot bath for me. Now if only I could find a way to get that masseuse from Colorado out here . . . . . . .

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Carol....Woot, woot! You little speedster you. Glad you found your niche with the mileage and all. I'm still searching! Leslie....Nice tempo run you had. Your soooo dedicated. I need some of that mojo. Actually, I just need to get my butt outta bed early so I can beat the heat as Joe suggested. Arla.....Nice 12 miler you had there, here's to many more! I have to vent.... Went shopping on Sat. with my daughter for prom dresses. After trying on 50 dresses at 10 different stores she finds one she likes. She pays for it with her own money ($225) and we go home. Sunday she tries it on a gazillion times and decides she just isn't liking it as much as she thought. Jeez, Louise! I told her, right after school Monday, go back up there and return it and we will continue looking some other time. She's nervous about returning it at this boutique as they "seemed" very nice/helpful the day we were there. So her and two of her friends who were wanting to look at some dresses as well went with her. This is how it goes.... My daughter-(Calling from her cell phone) Mom, they won't give me my money back! Me-What? Put Ms. Boutique on the phone. Ms. Boutique-We stayed an extra half hour to please you and your daughter and I will not give her her money back. She can pick from the other dresses. Me-She has already tried on ALL of your dresses and would like to get her money back. Ms. Boutique-I don't know where or what she has done to this dress so I will not give her her money back. My daughter-Mom, what do I do? Me-Put her back on the phone! My daughter-She doesn't want to talk to you anymore! Me-Fine, tell her I'll be there in 20 mins. I arrive.... Me-We bought the dress at 7 p.m. Sat. night and it is 5 p.m. Mon. evening. Your telling me your not gonna give her her money back? (I'm fuming at this point). What is your store policy on returns? Here is the receipt, barely 36 hrs. old and it says nothing about no cash returns. It's only been a day and a half lady. Ms. Boutique-(She points to the wall where there is some chicken scratch note that says no cash refunds) My daughters friend-Um, excuse me Ms. Boutique but you just wrote that minutes before her mom got here and you hung it on the wall. I saw you. Ms. Boutique-(Shaking her finger at my daughters friend) How old are you? My daughters friend-Um, 18 Ms. Boutique-Then you need to stay out of adult conversations. Me-You need to put your hands down and stop shaking your fingers at her and act like an adult. I have never in my life bought something and wasn't able to return it unless it was written on the receipt "No refunds" or if it was a "Final Sale" item. This is my daughters prom for crying out loud. Don't you want customer satisfaction? Me again-Why are you making this so dificult? Give her her money back. (At this point, I'm ready to leap over the counter and slap the crap outta her). I said, is your business so bad off that you can't refund $225 to an 18 yr. old who paid for this herself? (I think I pissed her off at that point) Ms. Boutique-I have a good business, but she is not getting her money back! This is getting longer then what I anticipated so....I'll spare you for now. Part 2, tomorrow! Jewels
                        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Ultrachick

Well, after reading Part 1 of the prom dress I'm thanking my lucky stars I've got two boys who are only 12 and 10. I'll only have to worry about getting a suit and hoping that the style of wearing your pants down around your knees is history! Good luck Jewels-I can't wait for Part 2! Carol-great job at the 5K! Leslie-about time you got moving again- Big grin-and you think your coach can be hard? Wink Farmer Jim-if I ever make it to Nebraska-you run, I'll drive. Here in Charlotte, I always get a kick out of seeing young kids driving tractors in the fields here-during haying time usually-but the tractors aren't anything like that! Joe-take it easy-don't be trying to keep up with me Big grin. If I'm not careful, I'll be on the injured list! Arla-got the Garmin fixed? I took a rest day today. We have trails out in our extended backyard (it backs up to some preserved land) so I went for a walk and yup, everything is still covered with snow and ice. Of course, I didn't take a day off from eating-don't be surprised to see a few extra miles tomorrow in my log. I also teach a sports conditioning type class tomorrow at lunch with weights and cardio-they might be in for a really hard workout tomorrow too Evil grin Kelly
                          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                            Doggone it, Jewels! I was waiting anxiously to see if you slapped the snot outta that woman - - and you leave us hanging?!? Evil grin You're worse than a TV show! "Did Jacqueline really kill her young lover, Stephen? Is Stephen really her long lost son, or has Harriett drugged them both, hypnotized them, and led them to believe they are members of the evil, twisted Brother Love's Salvation Show?" Find out the answers in next season's opener! You only have to wait 3 months." Ooh - I will be waiting anxiously for Part Deux!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jewels! Why did you stop?? I was just really getting into it! Leslie - some of your training runs make me queasy. Uphill tempo runs, ugh... All Who Expressed Concern - my Garmin is fine, I think it just lost its signal that day. It's happened once before...once it counted mileage backwards, this time it added extra. Gee, I ran 17 mi in 1:45! NOT! Man, I did something to my lower back - yardwork, I guess. Oddly, it feels better when I run, and it's a little better today. I used to have back issues so it's a little scary. Oh, and that cough I had? Now one of my parrots is imitating it. Nice. Arla

Ex runner

Oh, and that cough I had? Now one of my parrots is imitating it. Nice.
                                Now that's funny! The uphill tempo run was kind of a mistake. I've run that route many times, but for some reason had a brain fart over just how much continuous uphill there is. Oh well - it's good for me! Take it easy on that back, Arla. If you can, when you get home switch ice and heat, 20 minutes on/20 minutes off three or four times. Keep that up for a few days and it really helps. 45 minutes cardio plus abs and planks this a.m., lots of stretching, and I'm good to go! Patiently waiting for the end to Jewels soap opera . . . . waiting . . . . waiting . . . w.a.i.t.i.n.g . . . .

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance