Thursdaily, 5.31.18 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

G'bye, May!

Wednesday’s workouts:
    Tramps (5 humid & deer-flied miles)
    RunnerKSA (slow 3 TM miles)
    C-R (5 TM miles with glute issue)
    Quickadder (7 neighborhood miles in 75° dew point)
    Sees-the-Ground (3rd day at 6 miles)
    Holly (6.1 morning miles in 76° temps)
    Fatozzig (1+ hr of core/ST)
    Pfriese (9 morning [6:30] miles in 72° temps)
    Spacityrunner (hot afternoon 3.8 miles with the trail gang)
    Falconfixer (4-5 miles, walking)
    Bioguy (3 post-work miles)
    Mike (12 miles, with 10 at tempo pace)
    Evanflein (5.1 muddy trail & dirt/gravel road miles)

Sorry about the deer flies, Tramps. Glad you avoided them, Quickadder.

Enjoy Nashville, STG.

Lots of glute & hammie issues going on - be careful, folks, and stretch well.

Great photo of David and the other MVPs.

Nope, don't have long legs, KSA. Racewalking is as much about cadence that stride length. Too long a stride will actually slow you down. In a race, I average about 176-179 strides/minute. The best racewalkers are around 220. That's why they are doing 6-7 min. miles, while I'm at 10-11.

I did 6.4 miles of RW fartleks this morning, averaging about 175 spm in the faster miles, and 165 overall. 50° and clear skies with a nice, nearly-fool moon still above the trees.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I think you do great, Jay.

2.5 tired miles before a day of only liquids as I prepare for the not-so-fun procedure that we all are supposed to do every 10 years.  I'll be a lot of fun today.....the bad stuff starts tonight.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Out-shot and out-pressured through much of the game. Questionable calls from the officials. An injury to the first-line center (with the most playoff points) that could seriously haunt them. Surviving a 5-3 penalty kill. Escaped because of an amazing save. But a win.

I guess it's never easy this time of year.

Raining again here. No ride.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Ran 2 miles yesterday morning, then drove to Midland Michigan.

Ran 2 miles this morning.

Could have met up with the old group for the 5am run from Starbucks but I stayed up and watched the hockey game last night so I passed on that opportunity.

Meeting with our accountant today to get some ideas on financing our Florida daughter's house (If they move). I don't think there is anyway around the large tax bill if we take some money out of our 401k to do that.  We're old enough that there is no penalty.

Tonight is dinner with our Illinois daughter who is in town at her in-laws for the week. Then it's off to Clare Michigan where the wedding is going to be. Supposed to be staying somewhere "rustic" . Sounds interesting.

spacityrunner

1.4 miles around the neighborhood this morning.  No meltdown...thats a good thing.  Easy run to see if I would die out there...and I didn't.  The sun was hiding behind the cloud cover and there was a little itty bitty breeze.

Trails Rock!

bioguy

I have two classes, physics and Forensic Science that were all 12th graders and they are finished; the seniors come to school just for graduation practice. Thus, I have time to get caught up on some needed paperwork and preparations for year's end.

My wife REALLY wants me to skip graduation and got to the beach  house with her this weekend. I like this year's senior class, but she (Mrs. Bio) has a case of the blues, so I may take the 3 hour drive for the second weekend in a row. Maybe a run this afternoon will help me think things through.

For the first time in several decades, I had someone else do my income tax. H&R Block did them and I have to say I was disappointed. They had my paperwork well in advance, but filed an extension without telling me because they wanted some clarifications. Problem was that I owed the feds so I'll be hit with a penalty at some point.

Tailwinds

Nope, don't have long legs, KSA. Racewalking is as much about cadence that stride length. Too long a stride will actually slow you down. In a race, I average about 176-179 strides/minute. The best racewalkers are around 220. That's why they are doing 6-7 min. miles, while I'm at 10-11.

I was listening to a podcast with Danny Dreye re chi running and chi walking, and he talked about exactly what you said, Jay.  It was an interesting podcast and made me pay more attention to my form.

Bio - The Hub gets cranky every year when it comes time to pay for our taxes to be prepared, but he has his own business and I'm not about to tackle how it all works with that.  The last time he complained, I shot back with, "Do you want to do them?"  His answer was no, so he doesn't complain anymore . . . at least not outside his head. 

Tammy - Congrats to David.

4 miles this a.m. with a cranky hammy.  I think my pelvis is off kilter again, so I had The Hub give my leg a good tug after my run and I'll have him do it again this evening, and I've started my "off kilter pelvis" exercises again and have asked for another PT referral.  I'm not messing around with this again.

Today is the last day for one of our co-workers who is moving to the Sacramento area.  So not only is it pay day, but lunch is on the office as we celebrate this new adventure she'll be going on.  Good day!

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Hey all.

That's a good cadence Jay. Quick.

Good luck Karen. Oh and having someone run PWP when visiting Nashvegas is just cruel unless they like hills and flying monkeys.

Nice pic of your son Tammy.

This Stanley Cup final is very entertaining. Good warm up to the real deal - World Cup. Two weeks. Can't wait.

Managed 10k at lunch nice and slow. Hammy/glutes feel better today. Easy does it. Kiddo has Track awards banquet tonight. Not expecting any awards for him as the senior class dominated distance races but he had a good spring with new PRs at every distance.

Back to work for me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

so I had The Hub give my leg a good tug after my run

That Shorty, always pulling your leg....

Dave - Do you have to take it all out at once, or can you just annuitize a portion and take over payments, thereby only paying taxes on the payments coming out?

Rest day for me today.

DH is downstairs rotating the tires on my DD's 17yo best friend's car.  She lives with her mom, who gives her no support other than a roof.  She buys her own food, pays for all her expenses including cellphone, and is even paying for the hotel when her mom takes her to Myrtle Beach for a few days later this summer.  Talk about responsible!  However, the pay at Skyline Chili doesn't go far, and she is driving on bald tires in a car that needs some work.  I slipped her a $50 gas card last weekend, but wish I could help her more.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Quickadder

For the first time in several decades, I had someone else do my income tax. H&R Block did them and I have to say I was disappointed. They had my paperwork well in advance, but filed an extension without telling me because they wanted some clarifications. Problem was that I owed the feds so I'll be hit with a penalty at some point.

I work for a CPA and am not surprised by your comments. The extension prevents any late filing penalty as long as you file by mid-October. You will have interest and late payment penalty on any balance due from April 18 until payment - these are the equivalent of about 10% per annum at present. Making a payment on account will limit the amount of these charges. PM me if you want to talk specifics.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

evanflein

Light day in here today. Jay, I just can't believe your walking paces and then you throw out that others do 6-7 m/m while racewalking. Holy carp, I can't even imagine that.

Holly, I find that really sad. I hope she moves out as soon as she can. Living with a couple of roommates would probably be more fun and not much more expensive. Something to consider... you can buy sometimes relatively (or very) new tires from a junkyard. New cars, and cars with new tires, get totaled all the time and frequently they're fine. Many years ago, my now DH got me studded snow tires for my car from the junkyard, and they were amazing. I think they were like $20 each (and yes, this was back in late 80's, but still). Driving on bald tires in good conditions isn't safe, and in a rainstorm they can be dangerous. Just sayin'.

Got out for my run around noon today with the goal of going easy and more then 5 miles (my rut lately). I have a hard time going "easy" because I just gradually speed up and work too hard, especially if there are hills or headwind, and my legs just feel fatigued and I stop or walk. It's a bad habit and it's driving me crazy. So today, I said let's go easy and mean it! Well, did ok (certainly slow enough) for the first two miles but then that tired quads feeling crept in and I stopped out of frustration. What am I doing wrong?? So decided to try shortening my stride a bit. Wow, it really seemed to help. And it's not like I'm really over striding, but I get into a pattern of running and my legs are long enough it just seems to happen. Hard to explain. But when I focused on it, it seemed to help. Anyhow, I did another mile and a half or so with no big problem (and legs felt better), then turned around and ran all the way back without stopping once. Yay! Felt like a real win.

7.2 miles, 8:47 average pace and all miles were within 7-10 seconds of that. I guess we'll see how the ol' legs feel tomorrow as the true test, right?

Good thing I got out when I did cuz I can see the predicted rain approaching from the east, dark grey clouds with curtains of rain off in the distance, and gusty winds coming in first. Ick.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Another beautiful morning. The usual 3.1 miles about the lake. Tomorrow I will be getting up early to volunteer at Special Olympics as part of our company’s community service effort. Fun day—I’ve gone a few years.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

A flu by Super Seekrit Message for Holly.Don't nobody else be reading this.

Holly (and nobody else), I used all the power of my brain and came up with a solution for the weeds in your garden. Create a charitable event (get them kids out the dam basement relief fund). cap it off at 100 people. Charge $50.00 a person. Give each person a $12.00 t shirt. Give each entrant a $4.00 finisher's medal and a banana. Give an $16.00 trophy for who pulls the most weeds. The call the cops to get all those people off your lawn.

Other Runners - please indicate that you did not read this post.

Pretend I wasn't here.

SteveP

C-R

I slipped her a $50 gas card last weekend, but wish I could help her more.

You're a good soul.

And Steve - I never read that or heard of it. No one can prove a thing.

I'm pretty sure this crew can appreciate this. I wore my gps watch today when mowing the lawn. 1.1 miles and we have a small yard. Yeah I'm gonna log that stuff. Heh.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm guilty of many feeble excuses to post without a run

but never dreamed of using this one: --- hockey!

tramps - I turned on the tv at the same time as before but not only no game but the one of the three sports radio stations that had the first game (CBS) didn't have it either so I figured I missed.  Woke up in the middle of the night (as usual) to nothing on the first two but CBS all-nighter host Amy Lawrence was going el beserko over the save of the century when the Capitals goalie was caught on the wrong side of the net as a sure dead-on shot was going in, . . . until the goalie frantically stuck his hockey stick way over to the empty side of the net at the last minute and, somehow, miraculousty, instead of going in the net, the Las Vegas sure goal was squelched by the handle of the stick. I sure want to find a TV for game three to see it on replay.  Good luck!

holly - what a scumbag parent.

Wonder why the DD is still staying there.

tammy - makes us all happy..

<section>

</section><section>

<article>

LAS VEGAS – as good of a hockey play as the franchise has ever seen,

the kind that fans will talk about for years. Replays and superlatives don’t do it justice.

Jay Beagle called it the “save of the year.”

“Maybe the save of a lifetime,” the Caps’ veteran center noted.

</article> <article class="paywall"></article> <article>Holtby slid to his left to seal the corner, but Eakin zipped a pass in front of the net </article> <article>to teammate Alex Tuch, who wound up for a one-timer.

“My heart stopped on the bench,” said Caps’ forward Andre Burakovsky.

Holtby didn’t have time to slide to his right, and as Tuch fired,

the goaltender extended himself as far as he could.

Tuch appeared to have a wide-open net but his bullet was met

by Holtby’s stick and promptly smothered beneath it.

</article>

</section>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)