Masters Running

Thu Mar 6 Runs and Workouts (Read 613 times)

A little cooler today at 30F, but no winds. I struggled with motivation before and during the workout today. "It's a stepback week, why do I need a tempo run", "It won't hurt my training to just run at easy pace", "Just enjoy the run". But I did the workout regardless of these voices in my head. Breathing was a little ragged near the end, but it was uphill and I didn't want to slow down. Workout: 6 mile tempo. Splits(HR) 7:25(159), 7:28(162), 7:23(167), 7:23(165), 7:24(166), 7:23(173). Avg pace 7:24, AHR 165. Overall: 12.1 miles, 1:36 Have a great run today, and don't listen to those voices. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Today was easy pace for me, so no voices to contend with. 10.0 miles at 10:02 pace. MUCH better weather conditions.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Recovery day for me after yesterday's good Interval MLR. My legs were tired all afternoon yesterday, so the recovery was welcome. 6 miles in 59 minutes. Average HR 131. No voices today. Tomorrow's predawn Pfitz-style Progressive 14 mile MLR might have a few ... Smile Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice workout WRFB! The voices in my head were telling me to stay in bed - but I overruled them and headed out. 4 miles for me today at 10:32 pace. Fresh snow on the ground this morning and 30 degrees. Actually felt a bit balmy out there!! Wink Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow...that's a speedy 12.1 miles Mr Beer...yeah, gotta watch those voices and what they try to convince us to do sometimes Nice 10 miler Predawn....10 miles is my favorite distance....glad the weather was better and you "didn't" hear the voices Smile Have a good relaxing recovery day Bill - wow, 14 mile run planned early in the am....I'm in awe of those that run long right out of the bed. Glad you didn't listen to the voices Mary...nice run in nice temps Smile...we have another 6 to 8 inches of snow heading my way tomorrow and Sat, YUCK Angry Must be a time to hear voices. I was tired all day yesterday because I have been putting some huge hours in at work, and not getting enough sleep. I had a 10 mile tempo run planned last night, but when I started my run my legs felt horrible and very heavy. I pushed through (resisted the voice) my run and when I got to 7 miles I was getting frustrated and decided to run the last 3 miles at above tempo and almost 5K race pace. Actually, felt better once I got my HR up and running with a quick turnover rate....I think we get stagnant sometimes because of all the long slower miles we run. Oh well....10 miles - 1:21:45 - 8:10 pace overall - 146 ave hr 167 max - last 3 miles 20:45 which I was happy with getting ready for a 5K race in about 3 weeks. Have a wonderful day and runs, and whatever everyone Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

The Jogger

Morning Gang A nice easy 3 miler today for me, felt really good. Mary you are well motivated, I get my 305 tomorrow, looking forward to not having to wear a 201 and a polar HR on other arm, Mrs Roy can now do that. Nice runs for feeling tired, Lou and Tim, I'd like to run that good, feeling sproinky. Good recoveries PDR and Bill 3m 30:07 10:03 pace AHR 1149 69% Good Runs All Roy

Hill Runner

Good morning all, I didn't see this thread ..... 10.14 miles of hills @ 8:56 pace...beautiful running weather again. Good running to everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

btb1490

It's almost the weekend.... Smile Tall- Glad you're feeling better! Friends of mine from Ottawa are away on a cruise right now. Sounds like they are in for a rude awakening when they return! CMom- thanks for the video link. Good stuff! PDR- gutsy run yesterday! I probably would've bagged it. Good job getting it done! Spareribs- fingers are crossed here too for you. enke- it seems you've hit a new level in your running. I'm sure your treadmill mates around you appreciated your new diet! Hope your son is doing better today. wildchild- you aren't a wuss. You're resourceful! You still get your workouts in, you just choose not to get blown away, frozen, or soaked doing them. PJH- bummer about the treadmill. It died from lack of use! eliz- congrats on the anniversary! Sorry you didn't get to spend it as you hoped. Your persistence despite your setbacks is very admirable, keep at it. evryday, pfriese, runningindc- good runs, and thanks for the late check-in. WRFB- amazing how powerful those voices in our head can be. Good thing. Nice run! PDR- did you dry out from yesterday? breger- rest up and kick some butt on your run tomorrow. hopeful4ever- more voices! Sounded like nice conditions for your run this AM. Good job getting it done. biketm- what a nice way to finish a run that started out not so hot. Roy- have fun with your new toy tomorrow! A nice predawn 9 miler for me this AM, with 2x3miles @ marathon pace in the middle. Conditions were great, clear skies with an awesome show of colors in the east, no wind, 26*. Felt really good during the marathon paced portions, having to hold myself back from going too fast. Let's just say I was feeling particularly motivated this morning. Splits for the 3 mile segments were 20:22 (6:47avg) and 20:13 (6:44avg). Took a 1/2 mile recovery inbetween (3:31). I'm happy with how marathon pace is feeling right now. I just have to remember that it should feel easy for 6 miles if I'm to keep it up for another 20 more miles. But with just over 6 weeks to go till Boston, I'm happy with where things are at. Keep up the great work everyone. Reading about everyone's dedication here is very inspiring, even from those of you who can't run at the moment. Thanks for the stories. I hope everyone has a great day!

King of PhotoShop

No running today. Have to fly out to Chicago today for a one-day meeting tomorrow then I get a few days break. My foot felt good all day yesterday and this morning. I will run Saturday again. While I am not a big fan of dogs, I was thinking that there is ample evidence that a dog is man's best friend. Try this experiment at home for you doubters. Lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for one hour. After you open the trunk, look to see which one of them is happy to see you. Spareribs
                      Good morning, all! Roy - you are going to love the new 305! Nice sproinky 7 mile tempo run on the track this morning. 25 degrees and clear with absolutely no wind. It doesn't get too much better. The women's lacrosse (probably misspelled) team started practicing on the infield while I was still running my laps. I've never watched a game but it looks interesting. DH left yesterday on a business trip to Virginia. I watched Ghosthunters before retiring last night, and then every little "house" noise startled me. I don't usually have a problem staying by myself, but I didn't sleep well at all last night. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Have a great run today, and don't listen to those voices. Smile
                        sound advice-Nice run 15 for me this morning in ~2:03 (1/2 done)

Marathon Maniac #3309

While I am not a big fan of dogs, I was thinking that there is ample evidence that a dog is man's best friend. Try this experiment at home for you doubters. Lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for one hour. After you open the trunk, look to see which one of them is happy to see you. Spareribs
                          LOL....that just made my day Big grin

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good luck with tomorrow's run Bill. Those progression runs are never easy for me at least. biketm I have to try that: when feeling really bad during a run just speed up! Clowning around Roy the 305 is so much better than the 201 you will wonder how you ever survived with the latter! Forget the HM (which is nice) the tracking accuracy is what really makes the 305 vastly superior to the prior models. btb every time I see your idea of MP I get insanely jealous. Maybe you can post in kilometers? I am not so good at converting. Wink Spareribs ROFLMAO! Killing time on some trip, eh? Today was interval day for me and my TP! 5x600m@5K. All I can say is boy am I glad they are done! Total distance for the day was 10.60 miles. Tonight should be fun. My DW has a surprise planned for me in celebration of my birthday which was at the end of last month. I am not sure of the details other than it involves dinner at a steak house (mm mm) and then a play. Now I just have to keep the food intake down all day until dinner so that I can eat (and just as importantly) drink whatever I want tonight!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Spareribs, you are too much! I told my husband about your joke and now he wants to go buy a dog to see who'd be happy to see him! 5.5 miles in 51:10 this morning (on the dreadmill) and 25 minutes of upper body and ab work. BTB1490, you are the most positive, upbeat person ever. I think everyone at RA appreciates your kind words and motivation boosts. Thank you! Sue, every time my husband goes out of town, it takes me a couple of days to sleep well, and that's without watching any ghosthunter television shows! Take a nap this afternoon, you'll feel better. Mary, you are my role model running out in the cold and snow every day. Do you still run with Brinkley? No fears about running alone in the dark? I hope you run in a safe area. Still below normal temps here but it's supposed to get to 30F by the weekend and I'm looking forward to running outside. Good runs, all. Jeanne

Marathon Maniac #3309

biketm I have to try that: when feeling really bad during a run just speed up!
                                I guess I figure if the run is hurting...get it over with ASAP, VS dragging it out. Nice run twocat!!! Tim