Masters Running

Leftover Friday's Daily, 11.24.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    Jlynne (5 mile Turkey Trot in 30° temps - 54:37, 4th AG)
    RunnerKSA (6.3 miles with the local running group)
    Dave59  (Huntington Turkey Trot 5K - 26:55/8:40 pace - best 5K of the year)
    Holly (5 mile Turkey Trot in 47:21/9:29 pace + 1.7 mile w/u & c/d)
    C-R (morning 5K Turkey Trot - 21:19; 1st AG)
    Quickadder (daylight 5.3 miles with DD)
    Henrun & Marj (4 mile Gobble, Gobble Gobble  with 3,000 friends - 2/2 AG [Marj was 1/11 AG])
    Catwhoorg (14 TM miles while cooking the bird)
    Deeze (2.1 solo pre-work miles)
    Stumpy (solo 5K round the lake, before the real race on the same course)
    Tammy (8 mile Turkey Trot, earning an extra piece of pie - 7th AG)
    Falconfixer (15K with folks at 6AM in mid-20s temps + extra mileage for 12 miles total at 8min/mile pace)
    Pfriese (5 post-feast, late afternoon miles)
    Spacityrunner (6.5 late afternoon trail miles on Hot Springs Mountain - 14:48 pace)
    Fatozzig (3 muggy miles + foam rolling)
    Tet (3 sunny 60° t-shirt miles)

I'm glad to see that so many people got out yesterday, whether it was solo, with friends, or in a Gobble Trot (large or small).

Our dinner yesterday was brined turkey breast, bread stuffing, Twocat’s drunken cranberry sauce (delicious, as usual), roasted sweet potatoes, Tamari-roasted Brussels sprouts, glazed carrots with orange and ginger, and an apple crisp (that came out pretty well for a 1st time try). I started chopping/prepping when I got home from the race yesterday morning, and we ate at about 5:30. We took a few breaks during the day to call friends and relatives. It was a good day and a good meal.

How many folks are dealing with leftovers today? A few years ago we made a delicious leftover pie: Use stuffing for the 'pie crust,' and fill it with turkey, veggies, etc. Cranberry sauce makes a nice topping. Heat 'n eat.

I woke up at 4, as usual, this morning, but hung out in bed for a bit because A) it was nice and warm, and B) I could. Still, I was out the door at 4:30 for a 6.95 mile mixed workout (a couple 'a running miles mixed in) in 28° temps, under clear skies. The office is closed today, so my focus is going to be on household projects: We have a new storage shed that is crying out for shelves and peg board, so that's at the top of the list. One thing I won't be doing today is fighting the shopping crowds.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Since dinner wasn't at our house (thankfully, since I don't cook), we came home with just a few leftovers.  We do have a lot of Tennessee ham which we shared buying with our host, along with a little bit of turkey.  I think my son ate all the mashed potatoes last night.  He seems to forget that he is not training right now and is in a boot!   Eggnog is my weakness, so I try to dole out a small juice glass for myself as an evening snack.

5.2 miles this morning.  Legs are tired but it was cool and clear.  Ran from the house even though I really wanted a flatter route.  Wanted to not waste time driving somewhere since we have to take the giant dog to the vet to get a bath, which requires both of us to help him get in the vehicle.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Since we were not going to be hosting the Thanksgiving meal, on Wednesday I made a spiral-sliced ham in the crockpot for DH.  I packed about 2 cups of brown sugar around it, poured a can of pineapple slices over it, and cooked it on low for 3.5 hours.  This makes an incredibly tender and sweet ham - just the way DH likes it.  I will use the ham hock to make some bean soup later.

Today is our annual Black Friday tradition of going to the tree farm and cutting down our Christmas tree.  The farm we have gone to for the last 16 years is closed now, but there is another one about 15 minutes south of us that we will try today.

No run today, just swimming - 60 times across the pool (1500 yards), plus about 15 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Quickadder

Lots of leftovers here! I think we prepared just as much food for the 6 that sat down for dinner as we usually do when we have 10-15 eating. None of it will go to waste. Should be some great gumbo.

39F, dry & sunny this morning so headed out for a solo run around the neighborhood. Three loose dogs in total but fortunately didn’t have to practice kicking field goals. Finished with 10 miles at average pace of 9:01 with a negative split, which is very encouraging for my HM two weeks tomorrow.

This morning’s run took me past last year’s total mileage of 1306. Still behind the pace bunny for my target of 1500 this year.

Have signed up for the Zydeco Marathon in Lafayette, Louisiana on March 4th. Hope the weather will cooperate and not be too hot & humid.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

C-R

Thanks Jay. Nice workout this morning. You too Karen.

That's a nice tradition Holly.

We didn't host but brought food so lots of leftovers. With two teens in the house they won't last long.

Ran 8 miles of trails today with some friends. Took a good spill around mile 3. I'm blaming it on 1) tired legs from all of the races since Sunday 2) lots of leaves 3) it was cold enough my eyes were watering 4) lack of concentration. Just a good reminder to pick up one's feet when heading into the woods.

Be careful out there.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

catwhoorg

Labrat

11 rolling hills round the hood.

Going to fix up a plate of leftovers for lunch, then make some turkey and vegetable soup for dinner.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

pfriese

We didn't host this year. So, no leftovers for us.

Running today, 10 easy miles in town on my "park to park" loop.

Paul

...just knocked off some more Oyster Casserole,

Claire chickened out,,,,,,, so it may last me another 24-hours (ohboyohboy)

===========

knocked out 50-min

........oddly

The Operative Hip was bothering me,

which makes no sense,

since it is now a chunk of Oxinium

..........Phantom Hip Syndrome??

............................good Running to Ya.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Greetings Masters! Didn't turn on a computer yesterday, so I missed checking in with my 5 miler around the campground.  Followed that up today with another 5 miler at 8:54 pace.  Had a great Thanksgiving meal with DW, DD, DS and his GF, and my SiL and her family.  We camp together every Thanksgiving and Easter.  I am in charge of deep frying the 2 turkeys and, IMHO, they were perfect once again!  Only way I'll eat turkey.  Finished up the day with a blazing campfire in the low 30 degree temps.  I missed the post yesterday, so I'll throw in my .02 worth of what I'm thankful for.  Hands down it's my family - my DW of 32 years and 2 adult children who have grown up making (mostly) good decisions and now have educations, careers, homes, and are self sufficient.  Not much more a parent can ask for.

I have to pass on personals today - the group awaits a mid day campfire, and  it's my job to start it!  I did check out all of your great runs and races and what you were thankful for yesterday though. Well done everyone!

Ran the 5 mile turkey trot yesterday. Today was an hour on the elliptical. Later on I go off to try and give blood. If the Red Cross messes this up again (3 for 3) that is it, no more attempted blood donations to them.

I want to file an official complaint with the daily coastwalker morning roundup police. I did 12 miles on a TM on Wednesday, but was that mentioned in yesterday's roundup? Noooooo!  T-W-E-L-V-E miles on a $#%$#Q# I risk my mental well being on a TM and not O-N-E word! Not one!!!! 

We hosted Thanksgiving dinner. We have leftovers, but not an out of control amount. I brined http://allrecipes.com/recipe/241483/perfect-chicken-brine/ a 14 pound turkey for 10 and have (surprise!) about 4 servings left over. I am slowly (very, very slowly) convincing my DW that a pound per person gets you the right sized bird. We had pumpkin and sausage soup http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13160/pumpkin-and-sausage-soup/, sausage and chestnut stuffing https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chestnut-and-sausage-stuffing-108758, bourbon mashed sweet potatoes http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mashed-maple-bourbon-sweet-potatoes-recipe-1953605.html, suffed acorn squash https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/acorn-squash-with-kale-and-sausage-51203850 and roasted vegetables. I assigned my DW's niece's DH to the bar to make moonshine apple pie cocktails. He did a good job and they were pretty popular. I served them this past summer at our annual barbecue and they were pretty popular then.

One good way to use stuffing leftovers is with this little recipe from Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. It is called Chicken on the Coup and it originates at Perk Eatery in Phoenix AZ. It is pretty simple to assemble. You take leftover over stuffing. Heat. Top stuffing with two eggs (I recommend poached). Then top with sausage gravy https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sausage-gravy-367139.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hey folks - Happy Black Friday to everyone. There's no bargain in the world that could get me anywhere near a store today! DS#2 is driving over the road for a national trucking company and just texted me about not being able to get into a parking lot at a Menard's to drop off his load. He said even the frontage road was parked full! So if you see any semis today, smile and give them some space

Sounds like great food was served yesterday. Lots of good leftovers and recipes on how to use them. We're having our Thanksgiving tomorrow so I have all of the fun prep yet to come.

Holly - pick out a good tree.  National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation was on last night. I don't know how many times I've seen that movie, but it always makes me laugh. Especially at the end. "Play Ball!"

4 miles this morning, trying to work some nasty kinks out of my hamstrings and 15 minutes of weights and core stuff.  It's 57° here right now. Think I'll go add a few lights to our outdoor display...

TammyinGP

good day all!

Ran 5 miles this morning. Have a massage scheduled for this afternoon. low key day. Unless we decide to go buy a car for me today. we are contemplating. seeing some really good deals. and I need something. currently have an '03 Old Alero that I love, but it does have about 176K miles on it.   I guess if I get something, it can be either my (belated) bday present or an early Christmas present. or something like that really is a dual celebration gift I guess. 

Have a good day all!

Tammy

Henrun

Beautiful sunny day here warming up. Slept in (to 6:30 am). I’ve been looking for a good pair of dress shoes- tired of wearing my old running sneakers to “dressy” events. Took the subway downtown and mingled among the Black Friday crowds at the high end shoe stores. Got there early enough and it wasn’t, very crowded yet. With Marj’s help I finally found a pair with a substantial discount. We walked a bit and then celebrated by having lunch at a good seafood restaurant accompanied by dry gin martinis🍸-  BIG MISTAKE-we got back on the subway and I was really out of it-staggered home and slept for an hour. So much for Black Friday- at my age this should be another learning experience- but as the adage goes- “old dogs” etc.

Have a good rest of the weekend and good running and racing.

Happy Post Eating Too Much Day!  We actually did really well with not overeating.  Probably 'cause there wasn't a bunch of crap.

Tammy - Have fun car shopping.  I love, love, love my Outback.

This morning I did my first trail run since February!  4 miles at Headwaters.  Only 2 miles were on trails, but I'm still counting it. (The first mile is paved and ADA compliant.)  It felt good, but I definitely don't have my trail legs/stamina back.

Found out yesterday that my nephew and his fiance set their wedding day in April.  I panicked for a short while until he confirmed it's the 28th and not the 21st.  WHEW!  I already signed up for the Mendocino Coast 50k, which will be my first ultra in 2 years.  I was not looking forward to canceling for the second year in a row.

Laundry, college football, and leftovers.  It's what this day's all about.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, early morning run with two friends.  South of the river, so far more flat.  7.2 miles--can't remember the pace.  This afternoon walked another 2.2 miles.

Still visiting with my family, and my wife's sister and her husband are visiting.  So a very short post.  Have a great day everyone!