Masters Running

Thurs - 11/29....time is flying by (Read 382 times)

Mike E try wearing brass knuckles with big spikes.  My guess is that will work.  Heck, I have found if I just have YakTraks in my hand cars are suddenly a lot more curious about making sure they do not hit me.  Roll eyes  I guess they just figure blood will wash off while the YakTraks might scratch their paint.

More on the WSJ article about running distance.  I found this article, ironically on RW, from a guy whose analysis I have previously found to be very good.  He seems as well versed in statistics as I am and he seems to know a lot more about medicine than I do.  Basically, I will be surprised if I can add much to what his post says:  http://www.runnersworld.com/health/too-much-running-myth-rises-again#.ULaw-ySGJ1w.facebook.

fatozzig I see you are working on the avatar thing again.  Much more disturbing this time.  Now, I need to figure out if on December 1 I should really risk checking the daily!  Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

In direct disobedience of orders from mariposai I did a TM 1m walk- 2m run - 1m walk this morning. I woke up and my ankle felt fine so I figured I would give it a shot. I will know the results in the morning as that is when the soreness returns if my ankle is unhappy.

I give up giving "FREE" advice...

....ohh wait a minute...

my only mistake here was to give my advice without stating my price before hand!

Drake, I am so glad you found us!

After work I went to the gym for some minor speed work. I ran slow for 2 miles, then I started my planned 4x800m, but after the first 800m my left foot was not happy with me, so I gave up and did some weights (summer season is just around, right?)

BTW, where is Opie?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Guess I'm a mind-reader, Mariposai.  I haven't had time to read the daily lately and then when I did, saw your post.  Welcome to all the newbs.  Have a beer on me.

Had only planned 7 miles tonight but that moon was amazing and I went 7.5 just for the heck of it.  Could have gone forever!  Even though it's warm, wore my NightLife jacket for safety and heat training for Tucson.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Speaking of recognizing peeps by their calves....a few years ago I was running The Seattle Half and spotted a pair of calves I recognized...I asked if it was her and she said yes..."How did you know it was me" she said...I recognize those legs anywhere...We had a great laugh...It was our own Mustang Sally...

3 easy miles this morning

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Blue - Like Tammy said, I'm in NorCal, Eureka to be exact.  My husband grew up in St. Helens, just outside of Portland.  His family still lives there half the year, and they winter in AZ.  The parents of my running buddy, Karen, live in Beaverton, her sister lives in Astoria, and our friends who have the 3 Nonjoggers podcast live in Portland.  Do you do any trail running?  There's a great trail run in Feb right outside of Portland - the Hagg Lake 25k and 50k Mud Run.  I've only had the opportunity to run the 50k once.  Had a blast!

Holly - Take care of yourself.  If that bug is anything like what's been going on around here, it takes hold and doesn't let go.

(PS - The avatar shall change when it's official Christmas season - December 1.)

Leslie, I'm running my first trail half in January.  The Wild Horse Trail Half, around Otay lakes.  What's cool is that it's only few miles from my house, and we'll be running some of our weekend training runs on the race course.   It's an easy, flat trail, but should be fun!

Hi Byll, glad to see you still tri-ing.  how is your daughter doing?  I've been thinking of her a lot.

Welcome to all the newbies from RW. You can have all the beer in the garage except the O'Doul's--THAT'S MINE!, I think there's a bottle of Hob Nob that we didn't need for Thanksgiving in there too..  When I ran my first half marathon everyone got a free beer in a bar, but I did have to pay $4 for that O'Doulls.

I am up way to late watching "Hoarding Buried Alive " and have forgotton what I was going to say here.  I think I ordered a 12 yard roll off box though I suspect the intervention will come the week before the dumpster arrives.  Seriously, we have run out of space to put stuff, His stuff, My stuff and MY MOM's stuff.  That's sentimental and usuallhy packed in neart orderly boxes.  Index cards of "Friends who have died" just can't be tossed.Also found the letter he wrote to my mom and dad asking permission to marry me.  That's going in the safe.  Everyone should have a safer and we have two, so come on over and buy it...sorrrhy

The auctionieer gave MrStarr the key to the shed so we can put stuff there (out of sight, out of mind) until the auction. I boxed up a huge set of Franciscanware Desert Rose dishes.  This house is so small I am having trouble trying to figure out where to hide presents.

I had a lovely run with all the sights, sounds and typical smells. Once I passed the porta-john at a job site, I was sure that I need to find a restroom.  Luckily the campground was open. That's good to know.  Heated and toiilet paper and water.  It was 48° so I trying the layers again: LS wicking top/fleece vest/Headband and ponytail.  I love my 180s gloves like DiveChief has.  They have a heavier weight too.  Pluse they work woth those smarty pants phones you all have.  I like the windbreaker on them that can tuck out of the way if you don't need it.  Capris and Wrights' double-layer crew socks for cold weather (orange band) kept the lower have just perfect.  My arms seemed a bit cold in the beginning probably because it was into the wind,  There really wasn't much wind at all.  There were howeverm, thousands of gees gatherin on our large pond for the evening.  They seem to like my house best and hang around here most of the day

.  They make a honking lot of noise!  I get all warm and fussy inside when I see and hear the winter Chrstmas displays.  Do you think that guy will fix his 3 foot section of missing red lights on his second story?  At least all those political signs can have a use after the election.

On Saturday night I think I will run the lake route again doing all the side streets along the way.  That could add several miles to my 5 miles and do more like 8 or 10 and I;ll get to see all the lights.  I went out too early to see the full moon tonight so missed that.  The eclectic music on my ipod shuffle was compliments of my DS.  I swiped all his music one time and am trying to figure out if I know any of it.  This I didn't but it was blues, banjo and some classical cello.

Tomorrow is a work day to load our treasures into the holding pen for the next greatest auction sale of  the year!  MikeE - you don't live so far away.  We could make Crhistmas cookies after we get done working.  Oh- Oh, better not sell that cookie jar!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Hi Byll, how is your daughter doing?  I've been thinking of her a lot. 

Starr, so nice of you to ask about her!  She is doing great.  Not a drop since early last Fall.  The facility she checked herself into was exactly what she needed and with the support we gave her she came through it well.  Her boyfriend says it's nice to "have her present".

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Starr, so nice of you to ask about her!  She is doing great.  Not a drop since early last Fall.  The facility she checked herself into was exactly what she needed and with the support we gave her she came through it well.  Her boyfriend says it's nice to "have her present".

Bill

Absolutely fantastic.  I can absolutely relate to her boyfriend's comment. Smile

Holly -  . . . . never mind.  I was gonna say something, butt . . . . Wink

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance