Masters Running

Glad that it's FRIDAY, 11.22.19 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wow - there are some pretty impressive Thanksgiving lunch celebrations going on!

I'm glad your back is better, HopesMom. And please sign me up for that group hug as well, despite Surly Bill's warning.

Have fun with the kids and the pups, dnaff.

It's good to know what your knee will and won't tolerate Tramps. Nice tree, especially for this time of year. Congrats to your friend, the NBA finalist.

I'm also a ShotBlock fan, Twocat. But I don't have as well-planned a fueling strategy as you. Good luck in Hong Kong.

Sneak black ice is the worst, BTY. Nice pool work, including working through the cramp.

Holly, in the hall bathroom that I always use at our house, the TP roll is on the left. You can borrow it any time...

Tomwhite, DW's folks had 14 kids. Rumor has it they were trying to see what else there was beside girls and boys.

Great job on yesterday's racewalking, Marj - nice pace!

I'm glad your DH is under watchful eyes, WildChild, and that he was doing better yesterday.

Good job of making a change to your running schedule that has such positive results, Joe. I've often thought about switching to an evening workout, but I can't figure out how I'd fit it in with my regular evening responsibilities.

Tet, I almost fell asleep reading your stair counts. Maybe I'll print it and keep it by my bedside for when sleep isn't coming easy.

I was up and out a little early today, and so was able to go 7.3 RW miles (and made up a little for having skipped yesterday's workout). It was relatively mild at 39° but there was also a strong breeze from the SE, and I caught some drizzle in miles 4 and 5. Still, I had a good time out there.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks, Jay.

Warm here today (in the 50s already) with rain on the way.  I was out for 5 miles before it arrives.

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good workout, Jay, and thanks for the start.   Good morning, everyone.

2.7 easy treadmill miles (raining outside) as my taper for Monkey Half.  Rain should stop by start time tomorrow.

Joe- glad the after work running is working.  I'm always afraid things would come up (which they do ) and I wouldn't get to run.  I like my extra little treadmill miles after work if that gets to happen, but I don't have great well-lit outside places to run after work without doing small circles.  It is nice to not have to face those early mornings, though.

I think I took a vacation day today but I need to go in for a 10:00 call and then the Thanksgiving lunch.  At lease I feel less pressured and like it is an "easy" day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

Morning all. 

I too am in the camp of not getting a workout in if I don’t do it in the AM. Sometimes things come up (last night I got home at 6 to DH telling me he forgot to get marsala wine… and he was cooking chicken marsala) but usually I just am not wanting to go out by the time I get home from work! It’s nice to run downtown once and awhile, but only if I was able to sneak out before 4 (otherwise rush hour). Good it’s working out for you Joe!

I did not want to leave my warm bed today. After much back and forth (between me and Olive the cat) I did have enough time for 3 miles.

TGIF!

Anne

mrrun

4 miles power walking catch-up with a friend - lots of mini-hills though she wimped on the mega-hill

re: workout times - i used to get sent out at night for a short workout when I came home grumpy from work - mostly in the winter as I biked for 9 months of the year & could get rid of the aggravation on the bike!

marj

BTY

Thanks, Jay., for the summary and the new thread.    Hello, Runners!

I am getting close to the end of my 20-mile swimming goal for the month, and I'm ahead of where I'd hoped to be at this time.   This morning I did a trial run (swim) for Sunday's fitness event that the local Masters group is hosting at the even more local (for me) YMCA. 

The object of Sunday's event is to swim up to 50 repeats of either 50, 75, or 100 yards.  Forgive me if I've already posted this - I don't think that I have.   It's a timed (1 minute 45 seconds) interval, and if I complete 50 75-yard intervals it will amount to 3,750 yards, or 2.13 miles.  Today I didn't have a lot of time, so I did a 30-minute-ish version of that workout, getting in 16 intervals plus 2 100's at the end, just because I was curious whether I made the right choice when choosing 75's over 100's.    Since I never swim 75's, before today I could only estimate the time each one would take, and how much rest I would get inbetween.  Now I know that swimming at what is equivalent to an "Easy Run" ** effort, 75's take me between 1:10 and 1:15, and so I got to rest 30 to 35 seconds between repeats, which was very nice for a change.   On my last repeat, I did a 100 at a pace that was intended to be a Tempo Run pace, but it turned out to be harder than that, and took 1:34.   I was definitely fatiguing during the last 25-yard portion, and so I can say that even with 10 seconds to rest before the next repeat would need to begin, I chose correctly.  With the goal being to do 50 repetitions, 100's would have been too much for me at my current fitness level.

As I write this out, it reminds me of the "Yasso 800's" I used to read about on here, where people would train for marathons and longer by running 800's over and over and over again.     Not exactly the same, but there seems to be a parallel.

Looking forward to getting out tonight with my DW and one of her college roommates from Utica College back in the day, along with her DH, a retired Navy Seal.   We're heading up to our favorite Fish Fry joint.   In this part of upstate New York, a Fish Fry is a fried slab of haddock that fits (or better, doesn't really fit) on a hot dog roll, and then you add tartar sauce or cocktail sauce or chili sauce or (egad) catsup.  Where my DW is from, down near Binghamton, a Fish Fry is a fried fish (usually haddock, sole, or cod) dinner, typically served with "chips" which I think are more like french fries than potato chips.   Does anyone have "my" kind of fish fry where you live? 

Have a greta weekend Runners!

** I can only estimate "Easy Run" effort while swimming, because if I try to carry on a coversation while swimming, or take my HR, I won't get very far.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, in the hall bathroom that I always use at our house, the TP roll is on the left. You can borrow it any time...

Great!  I guess I'll be staying at your house for a week in December.  You don't mind brushing out my hair every morning, do you?  

Marj - grumpy?  Hard to imagine...

BTY - way to go!

40 and a little windy here this morning, but I got out for 4.2 miles.  I dressed just slightly warmer than I would usually for this and today it felt just right.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Nice recap Jay although you left me out. I’ll forgive you..

2.5 mile run this morning in the.ow 50’s and overcast. Wore shorts, as did most of the runners.

I’m definitely an early morning runner. But,, if I’m tied up in the morning and the afternoon is free, I’ll run or walk then. When I worked I took a long lunch break and ran with a group. Fortunately I had a shower in my office.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - thanks for getting us goin' today.

Jay/Holly - I have to use paper and pencil to get the initial stair totals.

One set came out "33" sometimes and "34" other times for a long time.

The Parks Dept has 310 for the main stairway but there's only 305.

Maybe not pushing hard enough or something,

tallywacker totals seem to come out even more all over the place.

Woke up a little after j-o’clock and, with but a single, solitary leaf in the yard to pick up, headed up for two loops of the Hillside Park trails and stairs in a thick fog that’s supposed to dissipate by afternoon before the weekend’s predicted rains.

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature

BTY - sounds like the fish, oyster, etc. sandwiches I loved at the beach bistros in San Diego. Can’t imaging calling them “Fish Fry.” No matter what they're called, maybe eat as many as possible for your mega-swimming.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

** I can only estimate "Easy Run" effort while swimming, because if I try to carry on a coversation while swimming, or take my HR, I won't get very far.

I'd think trying to carry on a conversation while swimming could also lead to potential drowning. 

The fish fry sounds really good, especially with the "chips" aka French fries.

I'm getting worse about doing my workouts after work, which I don't necessarily like, but if I'm not getting my butt outta bed in the a.m. . . . .  that being said, I did get up predawn this morning for an hour of core/ST, mostly because The Hub was up at 2:30 and all I did was doze off and on for another 3 hrs.  He and I are facing off about whether or not I should be doing any walking or ellipticalling until I talk with my doc on Tuesday.  Him: "It's only 5 days."  Me: "Do you want to survive those 5 days?" 

It's Friday.  Enjoy ~~

Image result for happy friday funny

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Joe618

Morning all, thanks for the good start, Jay, 7 miles is a solid start indeed. 

"Fish Fry"...here it means "Fund Raiser" and you get a very generic, deep fried square of some un-named whitefish, thrown on a generic white bun with some slimy cole slaw dished up on the side of the plate.   Tartar sauce available in little packets.   Usually eaten seated at a picnic table.   And you do this to support some cause or volunteer fire department you like.    But, food wise, it's awful.   We've often stopped by these events, thrown a $20 in the basket to support the cause and left. 

Joe - what gives? Are you staying up later?

Father Time usually seems to keep us from staying up later-and-later so we get up earlier-and-earlier.

Wildchild - if you mean like do I know by heart each and every of the 866 stairs in 21 stairways in the several access trails and across the upper and lower trails and up-and-down the six interconnecting stairways, the answer is so much “yes” that trying to recount the stairs in order at least to halfway puts me to sleep as fast as trying to recite a favorite poem to the end, which also never happens before falling asleep either: 1st stairway - 305 stairs / 2nd - 110 / 3 - 10 / 4 - 14 / 5 - 22 / 6 - 05 / 7 - 38 / 8 - 05 / 9 - 13 / 10 - 11 / 11 - 33 / 12 - 20 / 13 - 46 / 14 - 49 / 15 - 57 / 16 - 40 / 17 - 13 / 18 - 07 / 19 - 25 / 20 - 32 / 21 - 11

ps Joe816 - if possible, any chance to be considered for stair nerd status would be greatly appreciated. I also have the same for the 500+ stone stair up two nearby mountain trails I like, to say nothing of five mountain temples I’ve run up-and-down several times each in Japan with from 1,148 - 1,268 stairs each and, if still not enough, there’s always all the stairways built into the Mt. Fuji trails. One thing I like about stairs is that they’re usually smooth enough to be very barefoot friendly, to say nothing of pleasantly warm on sunny summer days.

Not fully sure what gives, Tet, because I don't understand everything I can observe.   But, over the Labor Day weekend in early September, my training really blew up.   I found I was not recovering well at all, with difficulty running on back-to-back days.  And I had an increasingly difficult time getting myself up at 5:10am (as I have done for 15 years), out the door and back in an hour or so on weekday mornings.   Thus, my training for the marathon I ran on Sept 21 was sketchy but I had enough reserves to do OK there.  But the morning non-starters continued into October as I was getting set for the November 9 marathon.   Then I had the flu for almost three weeks in mid October which threw another curve ball.

As I climbed back from the flu, in the two weeks I had left before November 9, I tried running late afternoon runs (not evening runs...but between work and supper).   To my utter surprise, it worked.   As several of you have mentioned, I fully expected to not have energy, to have things come up in late afternoon (which they regularly do and continue to do).   But, amazingly, I got out the (work) door, with some energy each afternoon.  Our community's running/walking trail goes right by our work property, so I can quickly get on a path I know intimately which allows me a variety of safe, well-lit options for direction and distance.   I change in our company's small locker room, lug all my clothes in a bag, which I put in my car and then run...finishing the run, I then just get in the car and drive home...no re-entry to the business.   Shower at home.    My total mileage is climbing back to where it needs to be, slowly.

I only do this 2 or 3 afternoons a week.   My DW is super, super supportive, for which I am so grateful.   It might move supper for the two of us back by 15 minutes or so but she's totally cool with it.

How much of this is psychological??  How much is physical??  I don't know; likely some of both but I don't know the ratio.    I sure won't do this in the summer time.   But, for this winter, I'll stay with it.

TMI, I know...but it helps to write it out.

And, Tet, you are hereby crowned a complete "Stair Nerd" with all the rights, privileges and responsibilities thereunto appertaining.

Rock your Friday, all.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Singer who runs a smidge

Apparently I came here, got distracted by something else, and forgot to post.  Sheesh.

Anyway, I did weights this morning, then got caught up gabbing with DH and was WAY late leaving for work, so I decided not to bike in.  And it seems to be raining, so there's that.

Getting down to the wire, as I'm coming in to the lab tomorrow to restart instruments after a scheduled power outage, then I'll work Monday to make sure everything goes smoothly, and then I'm off for Thanksgiving -- a day and a half of PTO, then the rest is holiday.  I have too much to do to work Tuesday and Wednesday! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

dnaff

Good morning!  Daughter and son in law took Iggy to the vet for his puppy shots.  I got out for a nice run while they are gone.  28 degrees and sunny.  Almost dressed correctly; my hands and face froze the first 2 miles.

We are having Thanksgiving part 1 tonight.  Salmon on the grill, caramelized Brussels sprouts, some cheesy pasta, a fruit salad and a caramel apple pie.  My daughter claims the pie takes 10 hours to prepare.  We started at 8 last night and are only to step #2.  Our other daughter is bringing sugar cookies just in case her sister screws up the pie.

I hope Friday is good to all of you today.

After not checking in for a couple days, I'll come in here intending to just do a simple post, but always read comments that make me have to go back and read what all I've missed.. So now I'm caught up.

Holly, I was meaning to ask you what it is that they told you is causing that bump. I've only had that twice: once it was a broken collarbone that healed with mismatched ends -- I still have that one -- and the other was a dislocated shoulder (although I knew exactly what it was when I took off my shirt and saw it!). Also on my DS with a separation after a rollover accident. So not surprised at what you found out, but hard to believe that they wouldn't have diagnosed it right away. With a good surgeon it can definitely be fixed. Also watch the recipe thread for the beer bread recipe.

dnaff, so Thanksgiving starts tonight and continues on through next Thursday? How far do you have to run to burn off those calories??

Feeling energetic again today, but the weather was not cooperating, so I went to PF and ran a good 3 miles on the treadmill (if any treadmill mile can be called "good"). Now I'm trying to decide whether to run tomorrow or wait until Sunday for a longer outdoors run.

ETA: Recipe is available.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - it took me a minute....

Roch - yes, I am hoping that this will be well-resolved by the surgery.  I can't believe the first doc thought I should just live with it because I am middle-aged....

I am having Thanksgiving at my house this year, and had already made some purchases ahead of time last week, including the turkey breast I will fix in the crockpot - unbelievably tender - awesome recipe - but ran out an hour ago to get everything else I will need, including a spiral ham I will cook in a separate crock pot with pineapple and brown sugar, and now have everything (I think) except some fresh fruit/veggie items I will get next week.  Kroger was a madhouse!  Fortunately I had my list and zipped through the place in record time.  And Leslie, what should I find there but a bundt cake pan - the last one, and on sale $4 off.  I am going to try the blueberry cream cheese pound cake tomorrow.  I know DH will help me polish it off...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."