Masters Running

Excitement still in the air - Tues Master runs and RR's (Read 529 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning... Very much looking forward to all the RR's. Everyone at Boston made us proud...no matter the times or outcomes Smile. I need to buckle down and get some work done today, as I spent quite a bit of time tracking our racers yesterday (don't tell my boss) Wink 8 easy miles last night - 1:08:10 - 8:32 ave pace - a few miles at MP (7:55) - shin felt a lot better. Hey Twocat, I finally took my heel lifts out last night, and AT felt perfect wihout them...but will put them back in if ever needed. Hugs to Erika's butt (ok, that doesn't sound right) Smile...but really hope everything will be ok with Ya....especially with Seattle coming up. I hope you read what I wrote to you yesterday, as I know the disappointment of dropping out of a race, after after all the hard work that goes into it....I know I shed some tears. Hope everyone has a Greta Day! TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Slo

Mornin Tim Good day Masters..... Lots of fun following the action yesterday. Looking forward to the stories now. Last nights run sucked......'bout all I can say......Body wasn't in it, my mind wasn't in it.........So this morning I stayed under the covers. I'm not sure what I'll do tonight. We already had a busy schedule following work tonight but this morning the milk was a little clumpy........the fridge decided to take a vacation. So we dug out the coolers, ran and got ice and now the Refridge is unplugged and de-frostinging. It appears the air channels between the freezer and fridge decided to frost over. I'll be looking at a pretty good mess when I get home tonight I'm sure. Well, got some catch up to do. Take care all........have a great day !
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hugs to Erika's butt (ok, that doesn't sound right) Smile...but really hope everything will be ok with Ya....
        Maybe, but a noble sentiment anyway (and what would be pleasant duty Evil grin ) Out for a post- heavy rain run/walk. One very slow lake loop--close to 40 minutes--no download yet to be sure. I thought of TomD since there were huge numbers of worms out exploring the sidewalks. I didn't stop to pick them up (I'd still be out there), but I did at least make the effort to leave them undisturbed. I can tell I'm out of practice preparing for the morning run--forgot the very important step #2 before departure. let us say there was a certain urgency on the last portion. Tongue I have to again mention what a blast Robin's pre-marathon party was. I got to see a few people again that I had met previously and a good number of new folks that are even nicer in person than they are on line. I sure feel lucky to live so close to such an elite event. (party or marathon, take your pick Wink ) And the beer was delicious--I'm not going to pick a favorite (wouldn't be fair), but it was the best I've had in months. Kevin ETA: can't be TOO much excitement--it's almost 10am and there's only 3 posts so far. What'd everyone do yesterday--run a marathon or something?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

It is pretty quiet isn't it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! 3 mile WU outside, followed by this on the TM: (5 minute slow-to-fast segments – 6.0, 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 8.0 mph) x 4 (pace translation: 10:00, 9:31, 9:05, 8:41, 7:30) 1 minute walk (1 min. 8.0 mph [7:30]/1 min. 6.0 mph [10:00]) x 5 1 minute walk (1 min. 8.0 mph [7:30]/1 min. 6.0 mph [10:00]) x 5 plus CD makes 8 miles total. I haven’t done this workout in months, but it went well. At no time did I fear that I was going into heart failure. Must mean I need to make it harder. Smile I’ve been thinking a lot about form and stride this week, and in that light I want to share a couple of photos that DH took at the kids’ soccer games on Saturday. Here’s a good “both feet off the ground” shot of DD as she and I raced to the concession stand at halftime. She’s such an effortless runner. And here’s one of DS with his team (DS is #6). Look how high they kick their feet out behind them. I tried to emulate this on my run today, but couldn’t manage it; my run is like a shuffle compared to these boys. Watching kids run is just amazing. For someone like me, for whom running comes only through determined effort, huff and puff and chug, chug, chug, watching these kids bound happily across the field without thought or effort, simply their own God-given grace, is sheer poetry.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Neat pictures, Holly. I especially like the coordinated strides on all three kids in the last one.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Holly, Good thoughts on the form. This is one topic though that I think even the expert coaches seem to disagree on. Watching the race yesterday, mainly in the final 800 meters with the women there were three distinct forms and Kara's under went a pretty significant change. Granted there was tons of pressure and she was trying to muster everything she possibly had. Tune was almost leaning backwards. Damn...what an awesome finish ! I tend to run straight up and down and look far ahead while a training partner of mine is leaning forward and looking nearly straight at the ground. Your DD has a very nice lean, her body makes a straight line, just tilted forward. No Bend. And I have read that if you watch a child run you will witness nearly perfect form. FWIW.....dunno if thats true. I like to do the "butt kick" drill and also high knees......Although admittedly I have really fallen out of the habit of incorporating drills in my workout. Your competitiveness is great ! The fact that your giving thought to your form and watching others is a statement of the type of runner your are. Go get 'em ! MTA: One thing elites have in common.....if you watch them from the back you see the complete sole of there foot. (Like the boys above) which means there bent leg is perpendicular to the ground.

Marathon Maniac #957

Slo_Hand – the high back-kick interests me. My son, who is not a fast runner (possibly due to the mens’ size 12 feet he hasn’t yet grown into), still runs with that high back-kick. On the other hand, DD, who is pretty fast runner for her age, does not seem to have that. Could it be a gender-related thing?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

xor

It is pretty quiet isn't it.
                    Yeah. A bit TOO quiet. I'm gonna go check the herd. You wait here.

#artbydmcbride

Anybody seen srlopez?

Runners run

Slo

I don't know Holly. What I can tell you is our CC coach in High school had us do drills pretending the surface we were running on was lightly covered in sand. When we "pushed off" we were to pretend that we were flinging that sand into the air. This drill created the high kick. He had both the Men and the Ladies doing this drill. The photo is only a snapshot in time. Your DD may have a nice kick, we're just not capturing it. Size 12's Shocked......Gonna be a big lad ! My 16yr old DS has got me by 1/2" now. We can share shoes.
                          8 miles with 2x20 at 7:15 pace (2 min. interval)--ended up with 7:12 and 7:11 for tempo sections. Ran with my triathlete friend at 5:30 am in the rain and 42º. Morning full of conference calls and an afternoon of writing ahead. The kiddo is at day long power skating clinic (it's break week here) and Mr. CNYrunner is sick (fever, chills, the whole deal). It is very quiet! Neat pictures Holly. Two of the Js are very high kickers, so I don't know that it's a male female thing. Form is interesting to watch and for all the advice on proper from I love to look at the wide range. Yesterday's marathon provides great examples within both the men's and women's elite groups. Some look like they are shuffling and others look airborne. Children have such a free and easy form (perhaps owing to that marvelous elasticity of youth). Okay, back to work and playing nursemaid.
                          RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Who's sick, K? 1002 64° F IRC A little over an hour of unmiled time. Started with a 5 minutes walk, then some running, then a little walk, then more running and ending with a big walk. Then stretchy stretchy.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Who's sick, K?
                              My husband is the one in sick bay. Poor guy. He is sleeping now and the fever appears to be receding. Thanks for asking and he'll spring back soon.
                              Slo

8 miles with 2x20 at 7:15 pace (2 min. interval)--ended up with 7:12 and 7:11 for tempo sections.
                                Awesome run CNY !