Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 10.8.13 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Thanks for the start yesterday, JLynn. No work on the woodshed for me, just an SRD.

Applesauce and bagels are it, eh? I'm up for it!

Greta photo of Enke, Tet and the fish!

Mike, Ryan is an amazing runner! Wonder where he gets that from...?

'Nother great column, Ribs. So very sorry about the dirty shoes - glad you got them cleaned up again. (Oh yeah - sorry about the fall too!)

Nice looking fox, Tramps.

Good luck, Tammy. One day at a time is exactly the way to get through what lies in front of you. You got some great advice from other posters here. Sadly, too many of us have been through the same/similar situation.

Have a good recovery, Leslie. You'll be feeling fine again in no time.

Hey - DB's in the house!

I feel your pain, Marj. Getting on the phone with some folks, and insurers often top the list (although the cable company is right up there) is never fun.

Very impressive stats from your workouts, Mariposai!!

Thanks for the blog links, TwoCat. I'll add them to the list of things I have to/want to read. Why isn't there enough time to read all these interesting articles/blogs, etc?

I'm glad Honey finally showed up, Steve. 80 cords of wood!! I'm exhausted from just thinking about stacking that much wood. Where do you put it all?

It is such a treat to read the way Mustang Sally describes her adventures (schlopr)!

Enke, shouldn't you do a 50K for your 50th?

I woke up at 2:50 this morning, and only got about 10-15 minutes sleep in the next hour. So I got up a little early and was out the door at 4 for my workout. It was in the low 50s with a crystal-clear sky with only a few whispy clouds floating by. Today I worked on using my hips more to drive my trailing leg forward. It was hard work, but I also had some decent splits, so I'm a happy guy. I'll be happier still if I can sneak a 15-20 minute nap at lunch time...

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Well Hello Honey! Glad you're home!

A pleasant 8 mile run this morning. An awesome breakfast and we (DW and I) are taking the day off. 25th Anniversary.

A little hiking planned followed by a stop at the local winery and steaks on the grill.

Have a wonderful day all !

C-R

Hi All,

Just thought to pop in. Its been busy with work, XC, soccer and such. Oh and I even get some running which is better now that my ankle is cooperating.

Just read a bit to catch up and it's been a busy place with races, missing pets (glad Honey returned - one of our cats decided to do a two day walk about a few months back) and meet ups.

Loved Ryan gutting it out. The marathon is a cruel race. I bet he will keep improving and it will be fun to read about his sub 2:40s soon.

Happy anniversary Slo - sounds like a great day ahead.

Best wishes Tammy - it will work out and there are lots of people who will be very helpful (unfortunately I know this from experience)

Hey Ribs - dirty shoes huh. Falls huh. Thought you might enjoy this pic

That's my XC runner son. We had the middle school state championships last Sat and our area received about 3.5" of rain in the 12 hours prior to the race. He finished 130th in his class and 10th for his school. Very proud of him. He told me one little fellow fell in front of him and how he and a couple of other hurdled him to keep going. I didn't see that but.....

So Slo - seems your running is going well and my boy is now pushing me (we ran last night with headlamps to get our miles for the day) and that sub 19 thing may be back on the table. Wink

Well back to lurking and posting every now and then.

Loved the fish picture. Classic.

MTA: Sorry to clog up the pics but this shows some pure joy of running and racing to me. Oh and mud. Lots of mud. Hahahaha

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

Well, I'm sure Tag wasn't thrilled with Honey's return, but the cat litter trick was interesting.  We have a couple indoor cats and one got loose on a cold rainy evening.  I looked until dark and gave up.  A day and a half later she was on the back patio, just sitting there with her usual uninterested in life look on her face.

Reason #37 on why I don't do "shout-outs" very often.  Who is DB?  I had to go back to yesterday's thread to see it was DollarBill. Yes, it was good to have DB "in the house".

Enke - My goal on my 50th was to run 50 miles that week.  Four years later I still have that goal.  I'm going to do it someday.  Go somewhere you've always wanted to go, but just don't pick anything on federal land, just in case things are shutdown again (assuming they open up from this round).

After the software install Sunday, I was up early for work yesterday to watch everything.  Things went incredibly smooth, but then I started getting bombed with oddball stuff unrelated to any of my work.  I was looking up all kinds of stuff for people.  Too many vacationer substitutes who didn't know what they were doing.  The whole day flashed by without a run or a workout of any type.

Today though, I am dressed to run and I will head out in about an hour when the people are here to clean.  We have the house cleaned every other Tuesday.  We've been doing that for the last 12 years.  It was either that or perpetual spousal frustrations.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back to the prodigal dog.

Slo--Happy anniversary.  Sounds like a fine plan.

4 miles around the lake.  Figured out why the southbound side felt so easy.  The north wind on the other side made the effort feel a LOT harder.  I was pretty happy to see that the pace didn't change like I was afraid of.

Not to be argumentative (or gullible as the case may be), but it looked more coyote like to me.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Could the day start any better?!

Honey found her way home, Slo and his DW are celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary (huge congrats, btw), Enke is turning 50 and looking for a few good friends to celebrate with, Ribs' article made me laugh, CR and dg posted (Hi Deb!), and Mariposai is in runway shape!

Fee better, Erika. Good luck and prayers to you and your family Tammy.

Gotta agree with Slo - nothing like a little cool weather to bring your sproink back. It was a great morning to run, though still pitch black at 5:00 AM. 6.5 miles  at a nice 9:17 pace. One good fartlek with  some BIG black dog (couldn't tell what kind) that came lunging down the driveway as I was running past. Scared the s#%@ out of me!

A beautiful forecast here and Tuesday is my day off. Going to play golf with the ladies Cool

MTA - Hey Kevin! Hey Dave - loved the "perpetual spousal frustrations" line!

....GREAT picture CR//..I think it summed up trailrunning in under a thousand words....

YAY Honey///////

============

...32mprnb......

...we had TheSwimTeam>>>>>>>WAY too Much Hormonal Activity

.......we had some idiot singing ''Oklahoma'' to the rather captive Pool Audience

.........we had a Germanic Lady rather PO'd I'd beaten her to the lane

it was

like a Shakespearean Play with Water

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good running guys..............save the Dramatics for after lunch

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

The prodigal Honey returns.  That's good.

Jay--Stumpy's right, that was a coyote, not a fox.  They're much more dog-like than foxes, which we also get.  (Here's a bad fox photo.  Bad photo, not bad fox.)  Besides, the Acme explosives joke wouldn't make any sense if it was a fox!  Jeez.

Slo--congrats on the 25th!  Have a good day.

C-R--nice pics.  Good for your son.

Dave--your software sagas make me glad I don't do that for a living.  Sounds nerve-wracking sometimes.

Erika--hope you feel better.  Your whining comment made me laugh.  I'll have to use that one next time.

It was about 25 degrees cooler today than yesterday, with noticeably lower humidity too. Good timing since I had intervals this morning.  10 miles with 6x1000's.

For those following such things, here's the best analysis of the shutdown I've seen so far.

ETA visual aids.  See the resemblance?

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

the Acme explosives joke wouldn't make any sense if it was a fox!  .

whew, at least I got that one right road-runner tramps.

Dave - I knew DB (kind of a weird but memorable name for a runner,

shouldn't it be noDB or notenoughDB) but who is SRD?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Honey's home!  Bad doggie! Evil  Interesting trick re the cat litter.  Although, as you said, since she's a beagle and uses her nose, who knows.  Especially if she's prone to visiting the litter box for snacks.

Happy Anniversary, Slo and Mrs. Slo.

Feel better, soon. Erika.  You're comment and then SteveP's follow up was pretty funny. Big grin

CR - Great pics of your kid!  And one can never post too many photos.

I was going to go for a walk when I got home last night.  Too windy and too cold, so I wimped up and didn't.  Did hash out my race with coach, though.  Good thing it was over the phone and I couldn't see him shaking his head with the expression of "What were you thinking??" Wink

I'm free-wheeling it for the next couple of weeks, then it'll be less running and more x-training and strength training for the next couple of months.  I'm ready for the change.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

lamerunner

Good afternoon. Sorry to have been MIA.  I have been lurking though...in a most non-snobby fashionCool  Things are pretty much the same. My knee situation is pretty stable; I can run  moderately and do some hiking as long as I wear the brace and don't get too  bold. Had a little setback a couple of weeks ago; I ran something like 47 miles, which I know is not much compared to many of you or even to myself a few years back, but too much now, plus did a couple of hikes. I backed off and things seemed to have quieted down.  there are and will be ups and downs. 30-40 miles a week seems about right.

The fall foliage is very nice and we have had mostly ( except for the last couple of days)  gorgeous weather; cool nights and warm, sunny afternoons.  I snuck out last Thursday and had a very nice solo hike up Mt Adams. I always love to be above treeline.... Mariposai, your pictures looked amazing!

DD is settling in at Colorado College, studying hard and also climbing a lot.  DS started high school and is playing soccer.  He plays JV and starts, plays quite a lot. He is doing it mostly to stay fit for ski season.

Biggest news maybe is I have started doing a  little yoga after swearing off it for many years. I am going to the power yoga class at the Y.  Great teacher and nice mix of people, including many aging athletes like myself who need more flexibility.

We are moving forward for this year's Manchester Marathon. Busy time now. We are the Grand Prix marathon so there will be more club runners.

Great running as alwasy for Karin and Erika, and also Leslie! ( I read that report; yikes. you are tough). Holly, sorry to hear about your mom but I admire the way you handled it.

Jay, I don't know how you get up so early!

Congrats to Ryan/Mike. I could write a book about going out too fast. some of my early Boston splits were UGLY.

I hope Timbo is ok after his hit and run....

So glad Honey made it home!!!

Nice to hear from you Lamerunner!

There is a 50K close to home (at my Bridle trails) on Jan 12th.  Starts at 3pm and goes until midnight.  I might be able to meet the course cutoff, it isn't very hilly.  Then the next weekend I could go somewhere warm and relaxing!  Not Vegas, btdt 2x and have zero desire to repeat.

How the heck do you train for 50K?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy, folks.

Just got back from reading Ribs’ article – too funny!  The water bottle in the shorts made me laugh out loud.

SteveP – glad Honey made it home okay.

Slo – Happy Anniversary!

C-R – great looking, if muddy, boy you have there!

Dave – I must have missed it – how did your review go?

Enke – 50?  Hard to believe!

TomWhite – Big grin

Tramps – nice coyote.  I recently saw one trotting along the highway on the way to work in a very populated area – very strange.

Lamerunner – nice to see you!

Okay, I’m out of time, sorry if I missed you…..

No run for me yesterday, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

5.4 miles for me this morning.  All ouches seem to be healed.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

How the heck do you train for 50K?

Not that I have any real idea, but I think you train for a marathon and then just run roughly 4.8 miles further.  Simple, right?  Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Singer who runs a smidge

De-lurking to say I'm glad Honey made it home!  (Waves at everyone, blows a kiss to DB!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.