Masters Running

Thurs 3/5 Masters Daily...and Craziness (Read 585 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone Smile Boy, SUPER tired last night and over slept this morning....yawn. Quickly, as I need to get some work done.... Last night - 6.5 super easy miles - 59:56 (had a one hour run planned, got real close without looking at my Garmin during my run) - 9:14 ave pace, wearing my new running shoes Smile Hope everyone has good runs....and a good day. And bigs hugs to those who are sick and injured. First day of....Operation Mary TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Four grateful miles at 6 AM---2º snow-crunching run under bright skies and then some core and weight work. I was in Chicago for the day yesterday, so exercise consisted of walking through airports and to and from the train stations and then ankle alphabets while sitting on the plane. A big melt is on the way for the weekend and so is my first Sunday run with the Js in many, many weeks. Two of the Js are still in the game for Boston and looking strong. Speaking of which: http://www.boston.com/sports/specials/marathon/articles/2009/03/05/in_marathon_training_no_snow_holidays/?page=full Operation Mary!
        Still catching up from yesterday... I believe Operation Mary will be a huge success and a very worthwhile cause. Count me as a supporter. TimBo- I prefer to be addressed as Gangsta not Gang'ster, just so you know CNYRunner have you tried reverse alphabets? Might as well work on staying mentally sharp while you do those ABC's, better yet if you could hold a pen while you are doing that, I have this synthesis I'm working on... No run for me yet today, but with temps hitting the mid 40's later I will get in my first March shorts run woohoo!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You guys are silly! I did great yesterday on the food front and last night when I was eyeing the jar of almonds on the counter I thought of Holly and walked away. Big grin I made spaghetti and meatballs last night. The meatballs were 1/2 ground turkey, 1/2 sirloin burger and all the ingredients were healthy. We had my friend over and her sister and she ate well too. It was very nice night. As promised I got up for my run this morning with Brinkley. It was a nice balmy 35° out this morning, so we got in 5 miles at 10:13 pace and 167 avg. HR. Kind of a high heart rate as I was feeling pretty sluggish. It still felt good to be out there though. Once again, thanks for all of your support! I'm happy that my little post yesterday maybe helped others to get on track too. Nice run last night Tim-Bo!! Nice run in bitter temps CNY - you shold be getting some of our balmy temps soon. Happy Thursday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Good Morning Masters ! Great start to the day ! After spending Tuesday curled up in a little ball all achy and grumpy I didn't think a run was in order for last night. BUT......I forgot, in my hazy, feeling sorry for myself condition on Tuesday, I ordered a new pair of shoes from Zappo's and I'll be @*&^% if they didn't show up last night. So what do you do when you get a new pair of running shoes? ...........Exactly ! I laced those puppies up and went for a run. My youngest DD of 11 yrs rode along side of me on her bike........something we do quite often in the summer time. I was feeling terrific and at 5 miles was really thinking about doing another 3 miles but figured I had more to lose than to gain so turned it on home. One nice thing about having my DD join me on runs is I really get to practice the talk test....LOL. Sometimes I'm amazed at her thought process and how she just blurts out random thoughts / questions. It really forces me to watch my pace by keeping me engaged in conversation. So, after a 24 hr bug I am quite pleased to log 5.2 miles at an easy 8:21pace! This morning I made it to the Y for a core and upper body and light lower workout. Did an easy 3 on the treadmill AND.......I also logged my 1st bike commute to work today! Last year I logged somewhere between 900 - 1000 miles. It's 7.7 miles round trip, nothing long. But right now it's obvious I should have made better use of my bike trainer over the winter. Happy Runs.........Go Operation Mary !
              Good morning, all! Slo - nice workout last night and sharing it with DD was a nice bonus! Mary - the almonds are OK in moderation ;-). Denise - I'll bet CNY's recipe would be great with chicken. Last year I started substituting chicken in several of my beef crockpot recipes, and I've been pleasantly surprised at how good they have been. Spareribs - thanks for the beer nuts recipe - brings back fond memories when my Dad was a substitute bartender at a local American Legion where I grew up. He used to fill me up with beer nuts when he was working - I loved them (Dad and the nuts). Medium long run - 9 miles this morning on the TM -average HR 151. Saturday's weather is looking good so far - hope to get a nice long run in on the track. Our snow is supposed to be melting by then, but I don't think the trail will be clear until the following weekend - provided we don't get another round of snow.... I'm with Doug - I've reached the end of my mental rope in dealing with cold weather. It has to end soon or I'm going to run away - maybe move in with some of the RA folks in the southern part of the country. Good runs to all - the work week is nearly over!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I'm with Doug - I've reached the end of my mental rope in dealing with cold weather. It has to end soon or I'm going to run away - maybe move in with some of the RA folks in the southern part of the country.!
                Sue, I have to travel to Breger's area of Florida in two weeks. I'll pick you up on the way. Do you think he'll freak when he sees that my rental car is a moving van? Evil grin
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Slo_Hand, your daughter sounds just like mine! She'll be 11 next month. It is very hard for me to follow her thought process sometimes. She asks the strangest questions! Since she's the youngest of three, I'm afraid I don't give her enough of my undivided attention. The biking is a good idea! I can't run with her, because she's too fast. I kept my word and made it to the Y for the third day in a row. Just two miles, but that was the plan. I ran into a friend, who has been doing Facebook with DS13. This guy has a son a lot like mine. He told me, "Just don't forget - your son is a poet being raised by two engineers!" Yeah, I know. Yikes.
                  Slo

Slo_Hand, your daughter sounds just like mine! She'll be 11 next month. It is very hard for me to follow her thought process sometimes. She asks the strangest questions! Since she's the youngest of three, I'm afraid I don't give her enough of my undivided attention. The biking is a good idea! I can't run with her, because she's too fast.
                    I have 3 kids too. Mine are a DD 18yrs, DS 16yrs and DD at 11yrs. She gets alot of our attention since the other two are at the age where a parents attention is the last thing they want ! Last night while we were out I had a lady on our usual route wave and say that it was nice to see I had my pace setter back !

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tim – new shoes, fun! CNYrunner – what are ankle alphabets? BTW, I’ll be trying your recipe this Sunday, to celebrate a special event in our house. Craneium – shorts weather – yay! Mary – I was thinking of you, too, last night when I put aside the ice cream and instead had lite yogurt sprinkled with blueberries and Fiber One twigs. Maybe not that many fewer calories, but much healthier. Slo_Hand – glad you’re feeling better. I intended to do a tough workout today, including lots of BQMP miles, but when I got outside and felt the (admittedly light) wind, I wimped out. I felt a little creaky and achy anyway, and didn’t have the mental fortitude for a tough workout today. I remember SkipAZ saying that running is more mental than physical, and today that was true for me. So I talked myself into thinking that I was saving myself for Saturday’s 20-miler. Wink 10 miles today, in 36°, at a frisky-but-not-actually-GA ave pace of 9:43. As I was driving to work, I pulled up behind a beat-up, rusted-out Pinto wagon, and noticed the plates had black letters (instead of the usual blue) and read in the small print “Historical Vehicle.” Shocked Later on the freeway I saw a spiffy little red Lexis winding its way through traffic, with license plates that said “Tri Jock.” I never saw the driver, but my judgment from the plates was “arrogant, prolly a full-of-himself jerk.” (Somehow when a guy calls himself a jock, I usually interpret it as bragging.) Not very nice of me, I know, but people do put these personalized plates on to make a statement. Maybe it's not always the statement they had intended. Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

BTW, I’ll be trying your recipe this Sunday, to celebrate a special event in our house.
                        Hummm, wonder what that special event will be Wink Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

De-lurking again to share that I marked the beginning of my fourth year of running today by running four miles and being able to honestly label it an "easy" run in my log. When I huffed and puffed through that first day of C25K three years ago, I never imagined that was even a possibility. Now I have a 10-mile race in the plan for spring and am seriously thinking about a HM in the fall. Can't even begin to calculate the intangible rewards of the last three years. Am looking forward to some serious AG hardware when I'm still running in my 80s! Big grin Thanks again for the constant inspiration I find in all of your stories! Big grinBig grin Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Slo

Good Morning! Later on the freeway I saw a spiffy little red Lexis winding its way through traffic, with license plates that said “Tri Jock.” I never saw the driver, but my judgment from the plates was “arrogant, prolly a full-of-himself jerk.” (Somehow when a guy calls himself a jock, I usually interpret it as bragging.) Not very nice of me, I know, but people do put these personalized plates on to make a statement. Maybe it's not always the statement they had intended. Roll eyes
                            I have to laugh.......Triathlon has become so equipment focused it's unbelievable. Including the vehicles we strap our bikes too. Not to mention it seems to attracte more and more people much like you described Holly. My DW no longer volunteers at the events I do because she can't stand the # of people who are "full of themselves". I got so tired of the "elitist" attitude at a Tri forum website I finally left and found this place. I love competeing in Tri's.......I like the challenge of training for the 3 sports. And I really like the cheap buzz you get from 1 or 2 beers after finishing Big grin I just don't share my beer with those "elitist jocks"........Tim, I'll keep a few cold for you if we ever do the same race. MTA: Holly, Are you sure it was a guy ? Roll eyes
                              Good to hear that you are feeling better and out there again SLO. I've got a 10 year old son (11 in July) and have to agree that his mind works in strange ways. He's the oldest of three, though. Speaking of kids, dd2 caught the stomach bug so Mom and Dad were up in the middle of the night cleaning up after her. This is kid number 2 to come down with it. I'm hoping that my son doesn't catch it and have me up again in the middle of the night. I left her lying on the couch watching Nickelodeon. Hopefully, it's a 24 hour thing that will be gone by tomorrow so she can go back to school. I woke up this morning somewhat tired from the middle of the night exertions, but with the AT feeling good. I guess it was a minor strain and not tendinitis. Anyway, since dd2 was still sleeping and I could not leave the house (dh at the pool swimming), I ran a very careful and easy 5 on the TM. Everything felt good while running and after so I am cautiously optimistic. I will monitor it though and back off if it flares up again. Elizabeth, your post is great - so full of joy in running. Congratulations on doing so well. Holly, funny post about the license plate. I'm not a big fan of personalized license plates and have to agree that guy does sound like he's pretty full of himself. My 78 year old mother has a great one on her Mustang though - it says "18 Again." Big grin

Once a runner . . .

Hopeful, I'm sorry to hear about your frustration at work. My first thought was, like many others, of the Serenity Prayer. My second thought was the definition of stress - The result of suppressing the urge to beat the s--t out of some sorry b------d that desperately deserves it. SLO, sorry to hear you had a bout with the crud but it sounds like you recovered and had a nice run with your daughter along on her bike. jdmom, my thoughts are with your 11 year old acquaintence and his family. eliz, congrats on the start of your 4th year running. Nice long runs for perch (with speedwork), hallar (with speedwork), busi (with speedwork), perch (another, this one with hills), Peter (with hills), and Holly. This morning, it was about 30° with some wind. I should have run with Holly as I also did 10 miles at a similar pace (9:38/mi). A good day and good runs for all. TomS