Masters Running

Thurs 4/9 Daily Masters Runs and Fun Stuff (Read 518 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone... Why did this post come out looking like it did...so narrow Confused Speaking of crying during and after Marathons, I did last Fall Cry...will again when the result is good Smile! SteveP, that was a good story last night I could relate too. Sooo very impressed with Nancy's speed....great job with your hard work. ....think I will get some Butterfly Wings Wink This sounds dumb to say, but I took last night off and went to the Y....why does it sound silly...because it was a challenging workout but not running. I don't count laps swimming (my mind is NOT geared that way, but have a calculation that gets me close)...lap swam continuously "about" 2500 yards / meters then pool ran for 45 minutes...felt great. I am sad to say I don't know if my pool is meters or yards, but for me it doesn't really matter. I used a a floaty (sp) between my legs so I could rest them. I am not a naturally fast swimmer but I am told I have good form...but don't get across the water very fast (legs strong, but not much upper body strength). But makes it fun when I get out of the water during a triathlon, and most of the bikes are gone...then I kick butt and pass about all of them on the bike portion. Then at transition, very few bikes there, Big grin.....me kicked swimmers booty. There is a saying that goes something like this, very much paraphrased... "if you don't learn from your mistakes, you are doomed to repeat them" I have been running pretty good since my come back. I have learned an easy pace for base building miles, which felt good to me but somewhat un-acceptable (stoopid type A personality) My legs are toast and I had to figure out why....to learn. Last Weds - a week ago - I did my first mid week long run with speed work and it felt soooo fine...like a fine wine that tasted so very sweet to the lips. Then last Sat during my long run I remembered that sweet taste and tried to run too fast for my conditioning right now...I digress from there, to be where I am right now. I have to learn Tim....easy is easy, and hard is hard. In between is dangerous territory which I need to avoid. Slow runs are swell, fast runs are sooo very fun, but there HAS to be a common ground where most of "our" runs are easy. I am envious of Lou and Bob right now, because their goals and paces are where I was last Fall, and I wanted get back there too...but with time I will Smile I am in the learning curve...thanks to all of you for keeping me from failing. Hope everyone has a good day! Your Good and Ornery Friend, TimBo PS - Hey, to you experienced folk...why is my resting HR only 42 bpm, but my legs feel trashed - now that is a topic all it's own.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim - you'll get there soon for sure. mainerunnah - shoot me an email (address down below) No run for me today -- I must really be tapering Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

If my recent swims are any indication Tim, 2500 meters in 45 minutes does not qualify you as slow. I'm slow in the water ... Marathon Pace day. The plan was an 11 mile run, with 1 mile of warmup and then 10 miles at MP (8:35). But today was absolutely Perfect Running Weather (53°, no wind, clear skies and a bright moon) so I did a bit better than that. 12 miles at 8:28. Every mile but the first two were sub-8:30 and many were sub-8:20. I had to keep telling myself to slow down. The HR never got out of the 140s. Aerobically I'm ready. The legs will be the question. If today had been race day ... well, let's just say it would have been a very good day. Love these IRC days. Not many left. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!! I did get myself out for an enjoyable 5 miler last night. I really did not feel like doing it before hand, but was happy once I got myself going. 10:53 avg. pace - 160 avg. HR Could NOT get out of bed this morning as I awoke with a headache. I might get in a short run this evening if I have time. This is definitely a cut-back week which I fully expected and planned for. Nice running and swimming everyone!! Smile

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Happy Birthday Henrun!! Maraposai you are just nailing your runs these days! Great running. Welcome back fatozzig! Can’t wait to see your photos. As for the suburban (mid-urban?) Syracuse, NY version of 4-H, our group leader and mother of my next door neighbor was a human development professor at SU and this was right when “Free to be You and Me” and the first Earth Day emerged-----we sang lots of Marlo Thomas songs, learned how to plant and tend a vegetable garden and compost, made tie-dye shirts, made cookies endlessly and did some hiking in the Adirondacks. It wasn’t typical, but it was great fun and we covered our own version of the Hs. I missed out on the animals, but oh well. Tempo Thursday for me- at 7:05 am and 28º--6.6 miles with 2x10 mins at 7:15 pace with 5 mins in between (turned up as 7:18 and 7:13) not bad on little sleep and just cuz. Coach sends me the new training plan on May 1st…..can’t wait. Walt RB…best news for all of you! Go Ellie! Nice running there Bill----a good day indeed. It will come back Tim, it will.....it's four months post-injury for me when I was at my lowest----couldn't bend my leg, achy all the time---the whole deal. Hope the headache disappears soon Mary.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Bill, that was lap swimming 2500 yards/meters, then 45 minutes of pool running...I could not come close swimming that fast either. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning! Mary - good to see Brinkley again! Hope your headache goes away. I don't remember sticking with 4-H very long after I finally figured out that the animals wouldn't be part of the picture. The leader had horses, so I did hold out some hope for some riding opportunities, but that never came to fruition. I made some Spanish rice that my family talked about for years - mostly because the recipe made enough to feed an army ........for weeks and weeks...... 6.75 miles at MP this morning - AHR 153. Good runs everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Hill Runner

Good morning gang Happy Birthday Henry.. You're going to kick butt in your new AG. Smile 6.26 miles of hills today @ 8:55 pace....Geez.....I can't wait to finally get to Boston where it's downhill to flat.... Big grin I broke in a new pair of Hurricane 10's and also a pair of GT-2130's so I'll have a choice on the 20th it depends on what I'm wearing...as SR and the fashion police will be watching. Smile Good runs to everyone

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Slo

Hello Masters Nice swim Tim....Biking is where I could use the most work ! I had a little altercation on my way home last night. I was bike cummuting......I hope I put a little fear in some teen agers and made them think a little bit.....I doubt it.....just hope. Lesson here: If your going to buzz and accost a biker make sure there isn't a red light in front of you Big grin Out last night for an easy 5 and followed up this morning with a core/strength workout and stationary trainer fo 30 mins. MTA: I'm really looking forward to the Boston reports.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! WaltRB wrote:
                      Late-in-the-day flyby: my youngest is on the mend, out of the ICU and into physical therapy. I can't believe how fast these young 'uns recover. Walt
                      Good news, Walt! Timbo – that is not exactly what I meant by a “leg-rest” day. Roll eyes Slo_Hand - would be interesting to hear the full story on that.... Big grin 5.15 easy-paced miles for me today in 39° (ave pace 10:22). Legs felt surprisingly sproinky. DH has to do his “crouch, lift, and carry 100 lbs” test today to see if they will let him go back to work – a department requirement after surgery. Silly requirement, as I doubt many of his co-workers could pass that test BEFORE having knee surgery, let alone after.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sorry I've been out of touch for awhile. I'm still around, mostly popping in to record miles and lurk a bit. I never really have much time. Work has been a bear and kids activities are making finding running time difficult. I'm thrilled that it's getting lighter in the evenings so I can manage a run after supper. sometimes I ran 2 miles last night to get me half way through week 6 of Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon training program. I have some crazy notion of running a 20K at the end of May. I must say I'm intimidated by weeks 7-12 of this program. Each week from here on out increases the long run by a mile. That will not only put my longest run into record status each week, but will also put my weekly mileage into a record status each week. I'm determined and this thought will not deter me, but I must say it makes me nervous. I will finish the program 1 week before the 20K. Am I crazy for racing this distance when just barely running that distance for the first time only a few weeks before? I'm not looking for any records, I just want to run a good race for me and know that I was prepared. I haven't signed up yet, so I could still chicken out Smile Anyway, I'm determined to be better about posting, even if it's just a short note. So for now, I'll leave it with this...good runs all and yea for Spring! Janet

Marathon Maniac #3309

You were missed Janet...very good to hear from you. Hey, short little posts are cool too ya know Smile And WTG with your 1/2 M training program...that is awesome!!! TimBo

Good morning Masters. It's an absolutely beautiful day here. Out for 7 miles this morning, 9:41 pace. 5 minutes jumping rope, some core work with the medicine ball and crunchies. The weekend forecast looks awesome, and my golf clubs are cleaned up and ready to go. Big grin Walt - that's great news about Ellie. I hope you're doing okay and getting some runs in. Great stress relievers, as you know. Mary - take care! Hope that headache clears up soon. Look forward to more puppy pictures soon! I'm sure all you Boston people are getting REALLY excited, and I get excited reading everyone's posts, party plans, etc. I live vicariously through all of you, so make sure you report everything! Have a great Thursday everyone.
                            Slo

I ran 2 miles last night to get me half way through week 6 of Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon training program. I have some crazy notion of running a 20K at the end of May. Janet
                              I know what one that would be !.......It's a big party this year. I'm registered and really looking forward to it !
                              Slo

Holly asked for it.......Ya'll get it. The condensed version just didn't work Big grin 1st let me state that I’m not some @sshole biker with a chip on my shoulder that thinks I own the road. I am very much aware that cars are bigger, faster and have drivers that aren’t always paying attention. That’s why I wear bright clothing, always wear a helmet and 9 times out of 10 I am sporting a mirror on my sunglasses. All of which was the case last night. On my trip home last night I was coming down 5th ave. This is a wide residential street. Wide enough that it could actually support 3 lanes of traffic and still allow street parking on each side of the road. I was hugging the right side, traveling just outside the perimeter where cars are parked. (A safe rider knows it’s better to maintain a line than to swerve in and off the road.) I was being followed by an overly cautious elderly couple. Even though there was plenty of room to pass the stayed back about 100 feet. I was traveling 17 mph. The speed limit on this road is 20….In my mirror I kept watch on the traffic behind me. I only travel about ¾’s of a mile on this road and in that distance I had only acquired my elderly couple and two vehicles of teenagers. At best, they (the teenagers) were behind me for 5 blocks. About 2/3rds of a block away from my left hand turn I decided it would be best to let the cars go by. It’s a stop light intersection and I need to swing out to the left side of the lane, next to the striped line, to make my turn. So I ducked into the parking lane, slowed to about 10mph and motioned the elderly couple on. They passed…….so did the next vehicle…..the 3rd however had apparently lost patience. They swerved over to literally within inches of me. As they went by they shouted some obscenities that I couldn’t make out and one had attempted to spit on me. Well, the overly cautious elderly couple doing what overly cautious elderly people do decided to stop at the yellow light. My accosters, not paying full attention to the road narrowly missed rear ending the other car of teenagers by slamming on the brakes and coming to screeching stop. Now just watching the rear end of that car suddenly raise into the air, the smoke from the locked up tires, the bouncing rear end after the stop, and knowing what idiots they must feel like right now should have probably been enough satisfaction for me…..But it wasn’t. Nope……I rode up along side of them and asked if they had any smart ass comments to make now! To my surprise the driver said….”Just telling you how it is dude.” Honestly, I’m shocked……they just narrowly avoided an accident. Personally I would have been speechless or at least apologetic and certainly embarrassed. “Well, let me tell you how it is!”……I said. “3 months ago you were probably still depending on Mommy to haul you around. You don’t have enough experience to pull the shit you just did……And your screeching tires was proof.” A brief moment of silence….. I continued……”When you pull away I’m going to take your licenses plate number and call it in. I’ll let the probation court decide if you should keep your license or put you back to a learners permit you little…..(explanative.) That’s about it. The light turned and they didn’t waste anytime pulling away.