Masters Running

Summer Psycho Wyco 50k - Lots of Fun (Read 166 times)

TomD

This is a tough trail run near my home. I have trained on it before and volunteered for it last year. I helped clear it and clean up last year, when work kept me from running it. So I knew what I was in for. It is difficult, but then it an ultra. It is just what ultra runners want, a challenge. The weather was as mild as one can expect this time of year. It was cloudy until early afternoon. The down side was the mud in the early stages and the final 3 miles. Other than that all you had to worry about was the challenging course, sudden dropoffs and tights turns. My goal was to run the first half around 3:30 and the second half at 4:00. My goal in ultras is to beat all the runners older than myself. This one only had one older than myself. Well, the start is slow since I decided to start out in the middle of the runners on this narrow trail. In the first couple of miles it is very muddy in places with two very steep and dangerous downhills along with some rocks. After a few miles and getting some clearing I start passing runners here and there. I just feel unusually good, like it is to be a good day for me. At the first aid station, 5.5 miles, I reach it at 1:00. A little ahead of schedule. I am back on the trail. About a mile later I am running very well and pass some others. Going down a section of tight turns and very steep downhill I am warning others behind me of the upcoming dangers. Then at a dropoff the ground below me gives way. I go sliding downhill head first. My head hits a tree and stops me. At first I am so dazed, that I cannot move. For a moment it was like I did not know what was going on. I hear another runner call at me and then says, "Oh, Shit." I start to move some. I just stay there for a little bit to get my thoughts together. My head hurts, but I am able to get my thoughts together. I do not have any real damage. I have a few cuts on my left leg, few more on my left arm, a couple on the back of my left hand, and then the one on the palm of my left hand too. Finally I have it together. My head still hurts a little, but I am having fun again and I am at a good even pace now. At next aid station, mile 9, I fill up my water bottle and take off quickly ahead of others. The next three miles are the easier on the course. A lot of it is along a lake and it loops back to the aid stationt. I make up a lot of time here. I know, that I am going to be well ahead of 3:30, but I am having a great time. I have friends, other runners, see me along the way giving me encourage. Now I am starting the final 3.5 miles. After about half a mile I reach the worst part of the course. It is one big mudhole after another for the next 2.5 miles. Here I see the RD, Ben Holmes. A friend of many years and a really great guy. He sees me and says, "Go Tom, you are doing great." I know that I am having a good run. After the mudholes you enter a clearing of nearly half a mile to the finish, but in my case it is the half this time. At the half volunteers are getting water for while I eat some. My half time was 3:02:30. I am off. Now I decide to slow down and enjoy the course. I like running ultras for the challenging course and just enjoy myself. That first half is about as fast as my legs will carry me on this course. It is alot lonelier with all the 25K people off the course. There is alot of 50k runners behind me. I still feel great. My head does not bother me at all and the cuts are not to bad. Just another war story. A runner passes me here and there, but I love running through these trails. At the next aid station, mile 21, I am feeling great. Another mile down the trail I am nearing where I had my fall. I take it very slowly. I can see the weeds at the side of the trail laying down as I had left them. After this section I pick it up just a little running by and around trees. I am having a great time. Now I get to the 2nd aid station, mile 24.5. I spend a some time here to refuel myself. Now I am running the 3 mile loop along the lake. I really love this part of the run. I run at a steady pace, but not to fast that I cannot enjoy it. I am not seeing very many runners any longer. As I come back to the aid station at the end of the loop. I have decided to run it again. I know what it may sound like, but consider this. It is very enjoyable, the best part of the run, and the final 3.5 miles is loaded with mudholes. As I make the turn to run this loop again, I upon a gal, MK, that saw me coming from the opposite direction moments before. She asks, "You are not running this loop again, are you?" I stated, "Yes, I am." She says, "Know way." I then explain to her my reasoning. She is now considering my sanity. I find out she is running her first ultra and her quads are really hurting her. To top it off she had locked her keys inside her car along with nearly everything else. She had to borrow a pair of shoes (a little tight fitting), a water bottle (a requirement to run this course), and socks. Ben Holmes told her he would try to get someone out here as she is running. She lives in Topeka, nearly an hour and a half away. I do my best to keep her mind off her problems. I stayed with her and kept her going. We come back to the aid station and refresh ourselves before tacking the final 3.5 miles and the mudholes. While trying to keep my balance through one of the mudholes I come down very hard on my foot and cover the back side and legs of Mk with mud. She is now probably the only runner muddier than me. Her quads our really bothering her, but she sees the humor in my accident and her gift from me. We finally leave the mudholes and come to the clearing. We walk alot of it. She asks me to run her in the final quarter of a mile. So I lead her to the finish. I let up a little just before the finish. She finishes 2 seconds ahead of me officially. My time was 8:30:40. The fellow older than me was still over half an hour behind me. Shortly afterwards she finds out that Ben could not find anyone to unlock her car. I volunteer to take her to Topeka. She tells me she could not do that. I live about 15 minutes south of here and she is 1.5 hours west. I let her that my offers is there and Donna is with a friend. Donna is also used to me doing stuff like this. Plus Donna has all the confidence in the world in me and my love for her. After I clean the mud off my shoes MK takes me up on my offer. We are in Kansas City, KS, a high crime area. Her car would get broken into for sure if it is left over night. On our way to Topeka she uses my cell and gets ahold of a friend, that brings her key from home and meets us on the edge of Topeka. After a little bit I am on my way home and a special supper from Donna. All and all the day was very much enjoyable. Made some friends, found out about a local 50k in Lawrence, KS, on a Saturday before a 50k on a Sunday in Blue Springs 50k that I have been running the last three years. After this 50k and how I feel, I should not have much trouble with that double ultra in October. Anyway it has been a great day for me. Next is a ways away. August 31st is the Flatlander 12-hour run in Fenton, MO. Then on September 1st, is the 49th running of the Heart of America Marathon in Columbia, MO. I live just 4 hours from Fenton and Columbia is about half way home. The former is very flat and the latter is very hilly with its share of challenging hills. TomD
    Dave59

Wow! I thought you were going to say your head was cut wide open. That was awful nice of you to help out after the race.

You are one tough dude. You fall down hit your head skin your hands and are not even 1/2 way done and still finish well. I have a lot of respect for the distance you ran and the conditons make it even more impressive. Nice race, good finish and rescuing a damsel in distress to top things off. Thanks for sharing

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Incredible....what an experience! And what a nice gesture in helping out MK....we should all strive to be as helpful to others. Very nice work, Tom!
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          coastwalker

Hi Tom, I can't believe that, after all you were going through, you kept telling yourself that you were having a great time! Lesser mortals would have walked off the course after sliding head-first into a tree! Congrats on surviving, finishing, easily meeting your goal of beating anyone older than you, and for being such a considerate soul and driving MK back to Topeka. Thanks also for volunteering at this race last year so that others could have a good run. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

huskydon

A very special run for you in many ways. Thanks for sharing it with us. huskydon
                wow - summer psycho seems to fit this race --- you are AMAZING!! and so kind to help someone else after all that!! thank you!!

denise

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Tom, That was quite an eventful race and day! Glad to read you were able to keep going , through the mud and after a scary fall, and you had fun doing it! Great job!! Francesca

King of PhotoShop

A tough run but a new friend. Not a bad combination. I gather from this report that other than getting banged around a bit, you are in generally good health now? No injuries? I am glad to hear it. Spareribs
                    wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, you ultra guys have my respect. Glad you weren't too banged up by your head first slide into the tree! Really nice of you to drive MK to Topeka. I gather she wasn't up for breaking a window on her car?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

nowor

What a joy to read. No mention of nagging pains, a header but you claim no damage, and it was all fun! Your friendliness and helpfulness after 8 + hrs of running comes from a really kind heart. You're a star.
                        TomD

Spareribs, Nice to hear from you. Yes, I am in good health. Going in I felt like I was not 100% yet. I did so well and felt so good, maybe I am better off than I thought. TomD
                            Tom, you really are extraordinary. You got injured early and kept going, ran more than you had to because you were having fun, and helped a new friend both on and off the course. Keep up the good running and sharing with us. Congratulations. TomS