Masters Running

Frying Friday July 19, 2019 (Read 40 times)

Quick start from last night-    Hi, Steve and Tag from last night!

3.5 this morning in the continuing heat wave.   My daughter is in Israel on what she calls a pray-cation.  She got a new tattoo.  She was in Rome by herself but with a clergy group in Israel.   She thinks Ken and I would really enjoy the trip she's on.  Maybe when I retire.....

Have a good Friday y'all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

bioguy

Hi all,

Steamy, steamy morning; 5 miles done. Highlight of today's run was spotting a hen turkey and at least six little poults tagging along behind her. This was a bout 1/2 mile from home and close to a housing development.

Off to the eye doctor after breakfast.

Tailwinds!

anneb

Hi Tag (and Steve)!

5 miles on my home treadmill before starting the day. Heat wave continues here as well. According to my weather app, it felt like 90 when I went to run, and I just wasn’t in the mood. Grabbed my water bottle and headed to the basement instead 🤣

Mia puppy is keeping both the H and I busy! She’s doing well but still can’t be trusted so she’s pretty much got to have eyes on her when she’s not in the crate. Olive is getting more comfortable traversing the house whether or not she’s out or not. Between lots of walks and less evening and weekend snacking, we are both down several pounds (I’m not kidding - and I don’t need to lose weight, but the few pounds is nice).

Happy Friday to all!

Anne

Joe618

Perfect title for the day's chatter, KSA, thanks.

Glad to hear the new doggie is doing well with you, Anne.

No run today ahead of a lot of running tomorrow for me.

Joe, good luck with your 8hr!  I drank to thirst, but made sure to get a minimum 500ml every hour. I did 50/50 water and electrolyte (I forget what brand they were using).  And 200 calories per hour, mostly Gu but salty snacks and cookies/candy later. They had pizza and BBQ after the first 5-6 hours, but heavy food just wasn't very appetizing while trying to continue running. The last couple hours (12hr race) I drank straight electrolyte replacement fluid because I was starting to cramp up and that worked.

Bill, thanks.   This is right on my plan...will take in about 700ml of fluid per hour with that mix you suggest.   A salt tab supplement each hour too.   With calories too (and, like you, the heavy food isn't all that appealing late).   Appreciate knowing your experience. 

Enjoy your Friday, all!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

pfriese

I beat most of the heat with an easy 8 mile run before 8am for me this morning.

Carolyn's pictures are awesome, but remember there's no oxygen up there!

+1 on this, plus I'm starting to get a little nervous about the race next month up there & lack of said oxygen.

Paul

Dave59

I went to the clubhouse to run 3 on the treadmill, but the belt was slipping terribly, so I drove to Planet Fitness and ran 3 on one of their treadmills. I got right under one of their big ceiling fans.

I saw on the news that a triathlon in NYC this weekend has been canceled and one in NJ was shortened. All because of the heat.

Tomorrow we drive to Toledo to pickup the grandkid. They are coming down from Cadillac Michigan. It's close to halfway (maybe 45 extra miles for us). Glad we can just go up and back in 1 day.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Thanks for the start, KSA, and nice run this morning.

Looks like everyone is getting out early today to beat the heat - good move.

Do be careful tomorrow, Joe. Sounds like you've got a good hydration/nutrition plan.

Yesterday:

RunnerKSA - 2.6 in-a-rush morning miles + 2.1 post-work TM miles

Tramps - 21 morning cycling miles in H&H

Bioguy - 6.2 7AM miles at low hr

Pfriese - 12 heat-beating early miles

Dave59 - 3 miles on the short & narrow clubhouse TM

dnaff - Yoga day

anneb - 4 miles in the swampy woods

BTY - Gym work then 750 pool yards at the gym with extra time for dressing

Jlynne - 50 ARC trainer minutes + 20 min of weights & core at the Y

Joe618 - Impressive 5K on Tuesday night in H&H - almost the same time as anneb a few years ago in another H&H 5K

tomwhite - 3 hrs shooting & sweating

Holly - 1250 pool yards

Wildchild - heat-beating Continental Divide trail running to 12,800 ft.

Falconfixer - 6.4 early well-paced miles in 79° with H

Deeze - Early Body Pump + 7Am 5K + 1 mi. w/u

Fatozzig - Walking up and down to see Angel Falls

Surly Bill - 5 sneaky miles at 8:00 pace

Evanflein - 5.3 EZ miles in hot upper 60's

SteveP - 2 nighttime miles with Tag

I got up a little before J o'clock today, so was able to add a little extra to my workout and went 7.3 RW miles in 61° with relatively dry air. I feel a little guilty about the nice weather, given what so many of you are dealing with. But it is over for us, and will be hot and steamy here too for at least the next 2-3 days.

have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tomorrow we drive to Toledo to pickup the grandkid. They are coming down from Cadillac Michigan. It's close to halfway (maybe 45 extra miles for us). Glad we can just go up and back in 1 day.

And you get to see scenic Toledo as an added benefit!  Always think of the Toledo Mudhens whenever that city gets mentioned.  And that they were Corporal Klinger's favorite team.

Off to the camp after work today.  Plan on much lake time over the weekend.  Sleeping MAY be interesting.  DW will be staying on for the following week, along with Maggie.  Since I'll be home alone and not doing after dinner walks, I have in my mind that I can get to bed a little earlier, and just maybe, big maybe, get up a little earlier and actually get out and run.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tomorrow we drive to Toledo to pickup the grandkid.

My lucky day too.

GS stoppin' over in Seattle on way back from two weeks with DS in Idaho just in time for the week long of rain to be stopping for a raincoatless two mile hike up to PooPoo Point and swimming at a local park afterwards on the agenda.  Just in time too before temps soar into the unbearable (for out here in the PNW) 80's over the weekend.

ps - they could take all the oxygen away from Colorado where I've skied on college vacations but never run there where I would have liked to, especially Pikes Peak (if that's where it is), Boulder-Bolder, etc.. . . even if with scuba tanks or if wearing the oxygen mask that I, as a sentimental hoarder still have from the two Mt. Fuji Summit races I did in the mid-eighties (but never used the O2 mask now stored in a spacious double-length garage that doesn't care how much stuff I stuff it with).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BTY

Good Morning, Runners!

Today's workout was almost identical to Wednesday's.  Details, if you are interested, follow. Otherwise, have a greta day!

Stretched at 6:15, Upper back workout consisted of 3 sets of rows, 3 sets of pulldowns, 1 set of rear deltoid exercise (only 1 due to time squeeze), and 3 sets of arm curls.   Due to some persistent biceps and forearm tendinitis and muscle strain, I've been using an EZ Curl bar, which I had sworn I would never use, but it provides a neutral position for the hand and the PT recommended using it instead of a straight bar, which gives a more complete contraction, and stretch, due to the supination of the hand - it also, for the same reason, is to be avoided for a while because it hurts my biceps and forearms during and afterward.   I was surprised to find that I'm unable to use as much weight with the EZ Curl bar compared to a straight barbell.  70 pounds for 3 sets of 8 instead of 90 pounds.    Counter-intuitive for me.....

750 yards swimming again; still hesitant to do flip turns on the backstroke but getting better each time on the flip turns for the crawl.   I swim 100 yards of breaststroke, 100 yards of backstroke, 100 yards of crawl, with short breaks in between each 100, then 50 yards of butterfly with a break after each 25-yard length of the pool.  That makes a set, and I repeat that for a total of 700 yards, then swim a 50-yard backstroke cooldown.

And yes today I was able to get to work on time.   I think I have it down now.   Also, I think I'm going to start bringing a table-top fan with me.  Just that would provide a big improvement over the stagnant humid air in the locker room after showering.

Happy running, all!   Stay cool if you can.  Start hydrated and stay hydrated.   

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Masters!!  Got sidelined yesterday with a sudden sciatica issue.  That was weird, never had that problem before, but I think I must've slept funny Wednesday night.  Anyway, I groaned my way through my yoga routine and spent some time on the foam roller, and was much better by the afternoon.  Today I have only a minor limp, but skipped all my "athletic" endeavors.  Plus it's hot (like you didn't know that already).  Woo-hoo!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

...loved the pics yesterday....

=============

91-degrees, no wind

...65-min RC at soccerfields in heavy boots....

lunch today

with hiking buddy who had a stroke last week

then

called to see if I needed a ride to the eye exam..............that's a friend

.....Good Running.......V-8 to Celebrate......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

dnaff

Something like 87 degree heat index at 5am when I got up. Put on my running clothes, walked out the door, and then said nope.

So I took Misha for a slow walk as the sun wasn't up yet. Then I decided I could probably do today's run if I walked the whole way.   Darn, walking 3.5 miles takes a LONG time. I put ice cubes in a bandana around my neck and was relatively comfortable. I froze a 12oz bottle of water and had that with me too.

114 is the predicted high today. Be careful out there.

Perfect title for the day's chatter, KSA, thanks.

Glad to hear the new doggie is doing well with you, Anne.

No run today ahead of a lot of running tomorrow for me.

Bill, thanks.   This is right on my plan...will take in about 700ml of fluid per hour with that mix you suggest.   A salt tab supplement each hour too.   With calories too (and, like you, the heavy food isn't all that appealing late).   Appreciate knowing your experience. 

Enjoy your Friday, all!

Don't be worried about too much salt. Remember, we're Merikuns; there is no known limit to the amount of salt we can ingest and still live. 😆

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marathon Maniac #957

Wildchild - beautiful pics, but I remember you were still getting snow in May.....

I just booked a trip to Jamaica for 2/28/20-3/4/20 (6 days because it is a leap year). DH and I are going with 3 other couples to an adults-only all-inclusive at Runaway Bay.  2 of these are couples we went to Norris Lake with, and the other is my SIL and her DH coming from California.  It should be a blast, and hopefully the weather will cooperate (although it would not take much to be an improvement on Ohio February.  Turns out that cheapcaribbean.com beat out Expedia for the flight/hotel combo.

No run (again) because I am still limping, although it is slowly improving.  Swimming instead, a mile one more time - 72 times across the pool (1800 yards).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."