Masters Running

40's, 50's, etc. on the Run - Week ending 8/22 (Read 583 times)

"My feeling is that any day I'm too busy to run is a day that I am too busy." - John Bryant

Hey there, and happy Monday to all!  The treadmill and audiobooks are my friends these days, oh, and the fan on the treadmill....gotta like that.

Progress Trumps Pefection
      New toolbar!  Fancy dancy!

Thanks for getting us going, Carol.  I, took, commandeered the fan at the fitness center this past weekend. It's the only way I could get through those freaking runs.  Got in an additional 11.5 on Saturday, so fell short of the 30 by only 4.5 miles. 

Today I get to deal with car issues.  From the description The Hub gave, I will be very surprised if the vehicle isn't totaled by the insurance company.  Bent wheel and deployed airbags on a 1999 Nissan Altima with 110,000 miles?  They're not going to consider it salvageable.  Gotta figure out a budget that includes a car payment.

Have a good one, friends ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Sorry for your car issues, Leslie. But as it's been said before, thank goodness no one was hurt.

Carol, what audiobooks have you been listening to? I used to listen to books while running and found that made me run even slower (virtually going backwards, yes!). So now I only listen while I'm driving or doing laundry in the house. Certainly with mindless and menial chores like laundry it makes them less, um, well, mindless and menial.

I power-shopped today, at Bed Bath and Beyond and Costco, primarily for DS's college stuff. And we were all out of salad. Such is my life.

Top 'O the World!

Hidey Ho!

Greta quote & thanks for starting us out Carol!   Cooler days are just around the corner..... Wink  Not sure my hearing is good enough for an audio book on the dreadmill....maybe I have too loud of a TM!? Tongue ..... on your other ? a few days ago - I haven't had my blood work done for a few mos  but I'm feeling pretty good w/o medication  since I modified a few foods in my repertoire...apparently, as in most auto-immunes, nutrition DOES matter. & I haven't been pushing the training as hard either... being more assertive about getting a reasonable amt of sleep, taking my vitamins.....I know, boring huh!

OM:  I avoid shopping when I can....power shopping is much more my cup of tea Wink   ie: have a list & a specific location to get said list accomplished a.s.a.p. & off for lunch/beers & other much more important stuff!

Ev!!  Nice walking "dates"  I'm quite sure LMD appreciates them!  so...Is it an "ambly" enough pace for serenading? Wink 

"Totaled" is an ins co. term for the "cost to repair damage to showroom quality exceeds avg (low) retail value for said car...."  does not mean that it cannot be retained, repaired for much less & driven...(now on Liab only ins too!) & the ins co. is going to try to get off as cheaply as possibly .....but then, I have a plethora of mechanically talented men-folk....~ DH's est is "up to $2000 to repair what you've mentioned, you'd have to decide if the car was worth keeping or exchanging...    Good luck with all of that, Leslie!  Sucks that the other guy didn't stop!  Glad no one was hurt!!

Thanks for the reminder Joe....(google.com) I have some stuff from browsing abt, some of which has been way over played!  but also have some from others' race experiences that I think might be more funnyer Big grin ~ was wondering if any of you had such funnies that you remembered from races, t-shirts, or just your own twisted humor, etc.?  Oh, & browsing through my shoe supply I've come to the conclusion that I'm sittin pretty good on running shoes just now....it't my boots that need attention: snow-shoeing boots, motorcycle boots & western dancing (or riding) boots....thankyouverymuchSanta! Big grin

Doug, Mairead & I hit the Deer Creek Canyon trails again this am for another loop. (8.07 for me & Raid, 10.35 for Doug)  62* F & 83% H!! w/patchy fog....made for a verra nice trail jaunt! Except that I'm unaccustomed to breathing in that much humidity! & still fighting w/the cold/allergy thingy, but it is getting better....uphills suck wind! downhills are pretty technical (see: vertical & rocky!!) but I love 'em!! & Mairead & I can run those pretty well.   'Raid also loves the creeks & cool shadey stuff. Wink  I've run those trails in all of my shoe options...I'm thinking that I'm liking the Zoots best for feet flexibily & just enough protection from the constant small rocks. (also great for an immediate jump in the lake as they are Tri shoes!)  The Salomons are the most rigid/protective  & allow me to work over some rocks/terrain pretty easily, however,  I need to have them laced tight enough...my regular road shoes, currently Pearl Izumi's, work just fine too though, & sit right btwn the other two for features...I keep rotating them because I think it's working my legs & balance differently....I'm all about mixing up the w/o just now!    

On the way into DCC (actually out in that area - visible from part of the trail)  we saw a Parade of Homes sign so, after getting all nice & stinky sweaty,  we popped in to tour a $6M mountain lodge style home...Big grin  verrrry nice!!! http://www.paradeofhomesdenver.com/homes/9958-whistling-elk-drive

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Thanks Carol, the tm is our friend. When it's above *9x  and stifling, embrace it. I did just that tonight. And we get to multitask too!

Nice last week for you OM and yea, slowing down does a body good. We're getting DS#2 ready for his second year at Kean U. Well, my wife and he are, I just pay for it.

Good luck with the car Leslie and good job adapting in your "gym". Those tm's can actually be helpful at times. Did you feel any less stiff after running your 15?

Good luck getting setup for school Arla.

hi everyone

Jim? Hullo? Jim?

Scurried onto the hampster wheel and outta the heat for 10m progression miles from 9:50 - 8:34. One set in between each mile of 20x pushups and situps for 200 each. Humidity is supposed to break tomorrow. Man it's been a hot summer round here!

jfa

Ok Cindy, we posted at the same time and you started 9 minutes before me! Now I have to go catch up.

jfa

Ok Cindy, I'm caught up now. I am SO going to buy that house when I get my $12.8 million. I'll have plenty left over for parties and shoes. Your trail 8er sounds nice. Especially the *62 part.

I had a nice post all ready to go....then it vanished on me.  I'll try again latr today.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

I HATE when that happens Ev!  in my case, it's usually operator error.....

2.5 "shake it out" miles around the neighborhood w/Mairead this am - 54* F, 80% H  Woo-Hoo!!  Now, off to tackle my "to-do" list before heading out for the TransRockies race...three hot & steamy days!.

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                       Those tm's can actually be helpful at times. Did you feel any less stiff after running your 15?

As a matter of fact, I did, now that you  mention it.  I definitely am slower on a TM.  Maybe because of the monotony?

Cindy - Our mechanic friend said the cost replacing the airbags, alone, would be almost $3,000.  Add that to the mashed front and the bent wheel/part of the undercarriage and I don't know what else - I'd rather put that toward a not-ever-been-in-an-accident car.  Especially as many miles as I put on a vehicle in a year.

I like the visual of Ev's walks with LMD.  Sounds really nice.

That house - 1700 sf "out building" for extra storage space?  Cripes, that's almost as big as my house!

No run this a.m.  I'm coming down with the same crud my buddy, Denise, got this past weekend.  Keeping fingers crossed it stays a cold and doesn't morph into the full blown chest-rattling, loogy producing disease she has.  Am going to just take it easy this week and see how it all plays out.

Later, friends ~

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

so...Is it an "ambly" enough pace for serenading? Wink 

Absolutely!

And nice trail running, mtn.

Carol gettin' it done on the tm

Leslie....don't settle for the first offer the insurance company makes......

OM.....Nice run with a cool down at the end with your friend.  I'm a pretty slow runner and on rare occassion I'll finish up with a faster buddy.  It's amazing how the miles fly by when running with a partner.

Joe.....nice run with the pu and su in between miles.  Makes for a great workout I'm sure.

3 easy paced miles for me while LMD walked a couple herself. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        OrangeMat

MM #6177

The group workout tonight was the "Indian drill" again, which we did my first night with the group four weeks ago. Unfortunately I didn't do as well as I did the first time. For one thing, in the half mile warmup where the coach puts together the groups of 4 or 5 by pace, I finished too fast and wasn't in the slowest group this time. Stoopid! Plus my ankle was hurting in a strange way. Took me a while, but I figured out it was my achilles, which led back to my calf being tight.... But considering I did nothing yesterday, I couldn't understand why I was in pain at all. All I did was walk around and shop all day.... in a pair of Naot sandals. Grr.... guess I got sloppy with my walking form and messed up my calf while walking! I dropped out of the group for the return mile+ of the drill, hobbled a bit, then finally figured out how to adjust my gait so I could trot back on my own. It was all I could do to walk home with MrOM (who met me in the park once again this week), just under 2 miles.

But I did get 5.2 miles in for the evening, plus the 3.75 this morning.

Ah, the universe loves my cutback week....

Leslie....don't settle for the first offer the insurance company makes......

They'll haggle with you over something like this?

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ah, the universe loves my cutback week....

I love this statement...........

Leslie, my latest dealings with an insurance company was a little bit different circumstance, so....

The other driver was at fault and I was dealing with his insurance company.  Our vehicle was totalled and they shot us a figure for our vehicle.   I balked at their offer and let them know that it was insufficient.  Ultimately they came back with their "final offer" and I accepted.  Now since your dealing with your own insurance company the situation may be different.  Also, practices may vary from state to state, I'm not an insurance adjuster and didn't even stay in a Holiday inn express, offer void where prohibited, dealer rebates may apply in certain states, offer good only at participating stores, not valid without coupon, my opinion may not reflect the opinion of myself.

Top 'O the World!

They'll haggle with you over something like this?

Yup, ~ to a point!  

Ev -