Masters Running

Compression socks/sleeves (Read 450 times)

Dave59

Because of my calf problems the past year I have been wondering if I should try something different.  Does anyone have experience with compression socks or calf sleeves?  Wear them during or after a run?  What do you think?

Some of what I've read:
    - CEP compression socks while running might help.  ($60 for one )
    - Sleeves are better for post run because they can cause blood pooling in your feet if you run in them.  But using them after speeds recovery.

I couldn't believe it when my right calf started hurting near the end of my 3-miles yesterday.

Marathon Maniac #957

$60 for one?  Can't you just buy the ones they sell in the pharmacy for diabetics and people with vein problems?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BlazinCajun

$60 for one?  Can't you just buy the ones they sell in the pharmacy for diabetics and people with vein problems?

Holly - You mean like panty hose? Joe Namath used to wear them during really cold football games.

Andrew
        ------------------
        God, my Lord, is my strength;
        he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
        and enables me to go upon the heights.
        Hb 3:19

Dave59

I bought socks for diabetics once and they were real loose.  (Needed a pair of socks and picked them up at a grocery store without reading the label.)  Kind of liked them for wearing around the house.

Dave59

I may have been wrong about the price.  That could be the price per pair.  I read someone's comment at one website that warned about ordering socks and only getting one, but maybe he was talking about the sleeve.

For what it's worth, I ordered a pair of the Zensah brand.  $45 for a pair.  If they don't help running, I'll use them next time I fly to Japan because they are supposed to help with that too.

Socks

I wear compression socks when I fly.  They are tight and supposedly help cut down on clots.  I started to wear them when I noticed my feet would swell a lot whenever I flew.  Did some research, found this is common once you're over 40.

You might find a cheaper version if you look at travel socks.  I know I can get them in various strengths.  I have some lighter (less constricting) ones I use for shorter flights.

You can get a thin pair here    Compression socks    for under $20 a pair and try them running.

A.

Masters 2000 miles

...dave//...........since the idea is to Beat Gravity,,,,

,,,,,put them on in bed with your legs horizontal to the floor,,,,

it should give you better support.

Good Luck

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

...dave//...........since the idea is to Beat Gravity,,,,

,,,,,put them on in bed with your legs horizontal to the floor,,,,

it should give you better support.

Good Luck

Sometimes I can't tell when you're serious or there is some real funny joke that I missed.

Dave:  Get a pair of compression sleeves for around 50 bucks.  I have them and they work great.  Wear them on all my runs over 6 miles and typically wear them for 4-5 hours following my long Sunday runs.  They assist with lower leg edema control and seem to do a good job with reduction of overall leg fatigue.

I think they are as good as advertised and recommend them for all Master's runners.

I use the Zensah compression sleeves (except in the winter) and I love them.  I also wear them when I fly.  When I run in the winter, I wear full length CW-X compression tights.  I don't know if it's psychosomatic, but I've noticed a big difference since I started adding compression for my lower legs.

Sometimes I can't tell when you're serious or there is some real funny joke that I missed.

...sorry, this one was actually serious........

also, over a KR

mcsolar wrote an EXCELLENT article under ''Gear'' on Compression Socks....

<font><font><font>http://www.kickrunners.com/products/recovery-sock-compression-socks/reviews#3617</font></font></font>

here's the article from mcsolar,

he sleeps in them if he's hurting,

which is Horizontal and allows the compression to work against gravity.......worth a shot

Dave59

I got some sleep and then understood your horizontal comment.  At first I couldn't figure out how I could run in them while in my bed.   My pair should arrive tomorrow.  I'm interested to see how they do.  I sit all day at work too as mcsolar mentions in his review.