Masters Running

Super Bowl Sunday Feb. 3rd Boomer/Masters Runs (Read 491 times)

Perch - Awesome run... Great advice breger..the young gun may find that out on marathon day An hour and 45 minute training run in terrible conditions finished a half marathon but I expect the calves will be hurting tomorrow. U runners in the south just have to appreciate those clear roads, tracting is such an issue out here...Dificult difficult run, it was probably my toughest of the year... Going to work on my corporate taxes today so I can hand them over to my accountant hopefully tomorrow...6 days before I leave for sunny Cuba with my lady friend...talk about looking forward to it. Enjoy the game today guys and gals...looking forward to seeing the Pats going 18-0...this is history Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

morning boomers!! very sluggish 5.13 miles for me today - don't know if it was after effects of donating blood, 2 busy nights at work - too little sleep yesterday too much sleep last night - who knows but i could not get my legs moving - avg pace 10 min/miles now - time to shower for church then GET READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!! GOOOOOOOO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!! Smile

denise

Stumpy, it sounds oddly like my shin right before I pulled the muscle. It was tight, but I thought nothing of it. Perhaps you need new shoes, I think that was a factor in my pull. Probably best to stretch it as much as possible before, during and after your run and stop the second you feel anything different than tightness, such as a tiny sharp pain. Oh yeah, and stretch out your calf really well on the same leg! Still limping here a bit from my tight calf Sad, but might still go do a cardio circuit at the gym. We are planning on taking the kids swimiming while the game is on - we'll have the pool all to ourselves!! Breger - that young guy's fate will be to run slower than 10 min miles the last 10K of the marathon! Pride runs highest before the fall.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Yeah, but you're the Dark Horse. Cool
          True. That's good and bad. Let's review four general categories of runners (we'll leave out the factors of motivation and coaching, and assume all runners have the same motivation and the same quality of coaching): CATEGORY 1: These runners have talent and the capacity to train hard without getting injured. These runners are your champions and record-setters. CATEGORY 2: These runners don't have much talent but they have the capacity to train hard without getting injured. These runners are not your record-setters but they can achieve much if they work hard. CATEGORY 3: These runners have some talent but they get injured if they train hard. (This is where I would put myself.) These runners are not going to achieve much beyond junior high school, especially at longer distances, because as you get older and the races get longer you must train harder. CATEGORY 4: These runners have little talent and their bodies break down quickly under the stress of training. These runners are not going to be fast at any age nor are they suited for long distances. They may be able to run a few miles several times a week, which is enough to get an aerobic benefit. Dark Horse
          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

King of PhotoShop

Just home from Omaha and headed out in a few hours for Kansas City. So Istanbul was too easy for you, and apteryx too difficult. Here then are a few teasers for you from recent NY Times puzzles: Bath suds (three letters) Row between houses (four letters) Child's device (four letters) Spareribs
              CATEGORY 2 runner here, I guess. CATEGORY 4 at crossword puzzles. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

bap

The New York Road Runners have starting paying tribute to "real" runners by having them start the races. The starter today had been a 240 pound couch potato. He ran his first New York Marathon in 2002 in 3:31, He finished the 2007 marathon in 2:58:07! He burst in to tears during a never ending speech that caused the start to be delayed.

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

bap

True. That's good and bad. Let's review four general categories of runners (we'll leave out the factors of motivation and coaching, and assume all runners have the same motivation and the same quality of coaching): CATEGORY 1: These runners have talent and the capacity to train hard without getting injured. These runners are your champions and record-setters. CATEGORY 2: These runners don't have much talent but they have the capacity to train hard without getting injured. These runners are not your record-setters but they can achieve much if they work hard. CATEGORY 3: These runners have some talent but they get injured if they train hard. (This is where I would put myself.) These runners are not going to achieve much beyond junior high school, especially at longer distances, because as you get older and the races get longer you must train harder. CATEGORY 4: These runners have little talent and their bodies break down quickly under the stress of training. These runners are not going to be fast at any age nor are they suited for long distances. They may be able to run a few miles several times a week, which is enough to get an aerobic benefit. Dark Horse
                  Sounds similar to Jack Daniels' categories: 1. People with talent and motivation. 2. People with motivation but no natural talent. 3. People with talent but no motivation. 4. People with no talent and no motivation. I believe that your category 3 runners, unless they are carrying injuries from early in their lives, just need to find their optimal training. I'm in that category just because I tried to do to much too soon, the newbie mistake (despite the warnings by spareribs and jim24315). I usually break down when I get to 40 mpw or try and increase mileage significantly while trying to increase my speed. This time I'm concentrating on increasing mileage gradually, sticking to a particular mileage for a month before stepping up the mileage by 5 mpw and listening to my body, cutting back when I need to. I was quite happy to put my ego aside and drop out off my 4 miler today as continuing would have done more harm than good. I think the biggest lesson I've learned is to put ego aside and do what is right for my body. Reading your reports I think there is a tendency for you to over train, particularly when you are doing multiple workouts per day. I may be way off the mark I also think that you missed out the category of runners who run regularly but have no interest in improving their speed. Typical is a woman I know who runs plenty of mileage. She trains at 10-11 minutes a mile and races at 10-11 minutes per mile, no matter what the distance.

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm just getting around to posting yesterday's run: 5.6 miles around my hilly neighborhood, light snow, 17 degrees. Beautiful day to be out, but my legs were tired so I walked up some of the hills. Wore my yaktrax, and took my two four-legged running buddies, who love running in the snow! I think I'll take today off from running, and ski half a day. Skiing on super bowl Sunday is always nice and un-crowded. Good runs, all.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy, blelated good vibes going your way for your wife's uncle. Teresa, congrats on your speedy 10K run and beating your best by 8 min. runningindc, it sounds like you had an especially nice run yesterday. Steve, I liked the before and after pictures. eliz, nice job on your fast 10K training run. Nice long runs for jjj (a couple). Jules, hopeful, Twocat, CNY (with ice and falls), pfriese, Sound (with speedy finish), fussy, breger, Peter, perch, and Tall. Good job on the speedwork for MustangSally. This morniing, it was in the high 20s, fairly calm, and the roads had hard packed snow but were not slippery. I headed out for 8 miles. It felt a bit hard and my GPS batteries died just after mile 5. I was under the impression that I'd been running about 10 min miles so ran for 80 minutes. Checking afterwards, my GPS showed a 9:39 pace for the first 5 miles so I guess I did a bit more than 8 miles. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Manchild

Berger, I completely agree... I ran nearly 13 at 11:00am in nearly perfect conditions, 41 degrees and sunny with a slight breeze...9:20 pace, 1:58:17 toatal time, and yes, feels great to have this one in the book!!! GO PATS!! Chris

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm still really slow, but I'm getting faster. I can pass slugs, now Wink
                          Hey, some of those darn slugs are pretty fast…..Big grin DH helped someone move yesterday, and was so sore last night he requested we skip church this morning. Happily, this means I got to sleep in, rather than having to get up at 3:45 to get in my 20-miler before church. Of course, Max the Overly Affectionate Cat still head-butted me awake at 5am, purring like a freight train. 20 easy-paced miles in 27-29 degrees, running time 3:17, not counting 3 quick stops for potty/hydration/gel (ave pace 9:51, ave HR 138). Today was tough, tough, tough to get through. I don’t know if it was just mental or my fueling wasn’t right, but I wanted to quit by mile #11, and was constantly battling an almost overwhelming urge to stop and walk (or maybe just lie down). On the plus side, I enjoyed listening to Disk 4 and 5 of Dick Francis’ Dead Heat. I’m finding audio books to be a lifesaver on these long, lone runs. This is the 2nd of 6 scheduled 20-milers before Boston. I hope they get easier. Lunch out, grocery trip, and now it’s time for a quick nap.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yeah! Finally clear roads Big grin for first time about 10 days. 8.1 miles with DW I stayed with her until last mile then finished strong, felt good! We signed up for Flying Pig half on Friday 90 days to get ready. Good running.........

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

evanflein

-25 downtown... "only" -20 or so here in the hills. Got 16 on the schedule... finishing coffee now and pondering what to do. Details later...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

-25 downtown... "only" -20 or so here in the hills. Got 16 on the schedule... finishing coffee now and pondering what to do. Details later...
                                ereeeeeka - yikes! is that a coldest PR (how about miles X degrees?). and to think that, if mari's Maraton Internacional Paraguay goes as scheduled it will be 118 degrees difference between your two runs! Amazing boomers - Shocked ps - did you wear Alaska's favorite bunny boots?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)