Masters Running

Super Bowl Sunday Feb. 3rd Boomer/Masters Runs (Read 491 times)

6 mile recovery run this morning with a new partner,this was his longest run yet so I purposely kept it slow...8:33 pace...
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Me

Greetings, 6 miles for me this afternoon Mike
        Today was a loong 18 miles in 3:08:39. Started at 7:28 (AM, not minutes per mile - don't be silly), but I'm late posting. After about two hours of listening to The Kite Runner, I had to switch to music. It was too sad. Now it's naptime!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

30 min ellitical, 30 mim bike, 25 min stairmill. Lots of stretching. Steve - I noticed the baby steve and the grownup steve had the same grin, priceless! Not sure what kind of runner I am. This is really my first injury, so I don't think I'm particularily injury prone. But, I am not naturally fast either, Having extra height slows me down, at least that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I will disregard the fact that evanflein and tammyingp are the same height and much faster. I think wistfully sometimes about how much faster I could be if I were only 5'2" and 115 pounds (about 40 seconds per mile faster I've read!). The most fun thing about taking up running after 40 is seeing the steady gradual improvement, in constrast, some of you gifted college runners must be slowing down a little now. If you need motivation, see this month's runner's world piece on aging. The 80 plus runners are very inspiring.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Peter, you made me recall the 3 months I spent in NC on co-op in 1984, March-May. It was my year of 2 springs! I envy you seeing daffodils already! 46 degrees here, but a 20 mph wind makes you aware it is February. Managed 5+ miles on a outdoor mile loop nearby, after 15 yesterday (I split that, about 10 outside [run/walk] and finished with 5 at the Y on the treadmill). The stiffness is till in the ankle, but I'm not making it worse. I'll forge on, but tomorrow's a rest day. Punxsy Phil Cool saw his shadow Cry .......still, he's not the greatest of predictors. I'm hoping for an upset of that prediction, but keeping the faith for the Super Bowl. Go Pats! (I remember many years of mostly No Pats victories at all, at all.) grins, A
            Masters 2000 miles

jules2

Quick 25 miles on my new Mountain Bike, mud glorious mud all the way at least its soft when you fall off.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Marathon Maniac #957

Kameele – brisk walking always gives me shin splints. Sounds like you are just short of that. Think you might be hitting too hard on your heel? WRFB – no way are you a Category 2 runner – you have lots of talent. However, I believe that is right where I am. I’ve never had any talent (or speed or grace) as a runner, but if I work REALLY HARD at it, I can come up with a modicum of speed. BAP – nice choice today. Enk – I’m less than 5’2” and about 114 lbs, and I don’t think I’m faster than you. I keep thinking (and Dark Horse told me once) that if I could drop 5-10 lbs, I would be much faster. Not likely to happen, though….Smile Spareribs - I started on your clues, but after fruitlessly searching for 10 minutes on the "bath suds" clue, I decided that I'm just too tired today. Maybe later, after a glass of wine...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

oh dark horse... we all know that there are 12 types of runners, one for each sign of the zodiac. Roll eyes had fun today. when a cyclist passed me i chased him. caught and passed one guy... albeit a much older, non-spandex cyclist guy... but the other two dropped me like i had no wheels. i passed a bunch of runners, chatted, smiled, and sprinted away. i ran fast when i liked the song on my mp3 player, and i didn't think about the distance or the next hill very much. definitely a fartlek workout. ended up with 13.5mi at 7:32 average pace. thanks for the kind words re: solarmixes... glad you guys like 'em. solarmix1 then 10 then switched to 11 up the last two mile hill.
                    McSolar, your post reminded me of a cute moment that occured right near the end of my run today. As I approached my neighborhood, a grandfather was out riding his bike alongside his cute little granddaughter on her adorable pink bike with training wheels - pink streamers and all. She couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 years old. As I ran in the street, she sped up to match me on the sidewalk. I pretended to run really fast (I couldn't at that point) and she smiled and took off - her training wheels whizzing fast. I let her take me and then yelled to her "You got me. I can't run that fast!". That made me feel so good ... It's really the simple things in life ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Holly, you are WAY faster than me, but thanks for pretending you're not! Smile Dark Horse would also be faster if he lost 5 - 10 pounds. We all would. But I am sure, as you should be too, that if I lost more than another two or three pounds, I would be constantly sick, tired or both all the time.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

spacityrunner

3.25 glorious sunny miles avg 12:15 m/m. 45 minutes of swimming after. No solarmixes today. Enjoy the game everyone.

Trails Rock!

good runs to all Masters today! 16 easy paced miles for me @11:10 pace. Even with the slow pace the last 2.5 miles were a struggle. So I guess it wasn't that slow or easy for me! This run put me at 34 miles for the week...a personal bunch for me. The weather was perfect. 50F and no...I repeat, no wind! Shocked According to the DH method I'm about a 3.5 type runner..... According to the Solarman method I'm solid Libra. On today's run I saw an armadillo munching on what was probably a chicken samich and waffle fries. Let the festivities begin!!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Target(distance) w/u(1), 9:25(4), 9:00(5), 8:35(5), 8:15-7:50(5). Actual(HR) 9:16(151), 8:50(158), 8:26(153), 7:43(160). New route: Out was generally uphill (500 foot climb) while back was generally downhill. Showers, and quite windy at times. Some sleet for 5-10 minutes. 20.2 total for PR week (56.2M). 2:53 (8:34/mi avg) I was thinking about priorities -- if I had a choice, I'd rather get the 20 miler in than watch the Super Bowl. I think there's something wrong with me. Smile Still don't know if I have to work today

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I wonder if it's mariposai madness fidgeting around wonderin' if our butterfly princess got a chance for 26.2 miles down in the Southern Hemisphere? helped a little to go for a five smiler at ultra pace hoping to get back by the announced 3:17 time of the kickoff and it's now 3:28 and no kickoff in sight. really wanted the Giants to win and show the Patriots what history really means but I can't take listening to Don Shula talking about nutralife or whatever, . . . I mean about his Dolphins' streak for the rest of my life. Go Boston. I mean Foxboro, I mean New England. I mean Patriots,

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Game? What game?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."