Masters Running

Monday July 14 runs, non-runs, etc. (Read 538 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Stumpy/Kameele – nice racing yesterday! Once again, I’m starting the daily with a non-run – hope you don’t mind. I’m continuing my resting trend. Just some crunches and laundry folding for me this morning. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning! I've been AOL for a couple of weeks, so I really don't have a clue what is going on with anyone! Therefore, I figured I'd better jump in early. Out for 6 VERY windy miles yesterday. We were up camping and DH asked me how long it'll take me to do 6. I told him about an hour, but if he would drive me 6 miles into the wind and drop me off I could probably do it quicker! Wink He told me no as he could not do that on race day. Oh well . . . TSelbs - we were up in Ludington and I was thinking of you and Dave doing your reunion runs up there. Rest day today. Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning Holly! 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 41:44 (10:30 pace, AHR 136). Muggy 73F, 93% humidity. This run was the same, to the second, as yeaterday's..wierd. Tory saw deer his size this morning and he got within 2 feet of a young buck. A few bunnies scampering around. Disney like Smile Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

Three miles total, and two of them with Renee this morning! Awesome. I worked on keeping her pace under control. It was 72 F and 88% humidity and just one of those days where I felt like I could go on forever. Sweat was flowing just right, breath was effortless. But, schedule said 3 so 3 it was.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for starting us out this morning Holly...try not to go crazy till you can run again. Nice picture yesterday....are you sure you are in your 40's, heck you could pass for a college student Smile Very very cute DD too. Nice run Mary....we missed ya Steve again...nice racing dude, on a very challenging course that I could not imagine running...you da man! I wanted to clear something up about my sucky run Sat, and a comment that was made about me drinking 60 onces of water before my run. I did not drink that much all at once, but over a 4 hour span waiting for the storms to clear out. Also, I good friend of mine won the Muncie Endurathon - 1/2 Ironman distance...1.2 mile swim, 56 miles cycling, and 13.1 mile run. His finishing time was 3 hours and 58 minutes Shocked. Do the math on that one and how fast this dude really is...he is a Professional, so he picked up a quick $1000.00 for his effort and what ever his sponsors give him too. Well, another Monday and work week...summer is flying by. Have a great day all Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Wow Tim, your friend is really fast. That's 1st rate for sure. 3 recovery paced miles for me today at 10:08 min/mile pace. I needed to get a sweat up but didn't want any kind of a workout. Last week I posted a Poll on KR asking whether I should change my handle from breger1 to Headband Bill. I really enjoyed the responses. Ribs said to change it since breger1 (which is my first initial followed by my last name") is "too Corporate". Millbot suggested "breger2". Choovie gave me a couple of suggestions including Byll2run (built to run) which I found hilarious. But I think Evanfleim and Ileneforward summed it up best when they said that I could change it to anything I wanted because they were going to butcher it regardless what it was. So breger1 it'll remain. Butcher on ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

DickyG

Since we polished off Norm Peterson yesterday, does anyone remember any of the stuff that Bart Simpson has to write on the board at the beginning of the show? I can think of 2..."Nerve gas is not a toy" and "I will not grease the monkey bars". I love reading the Sunday posts...so many fabulous long runs..they are truly inspirational to me...OK...and they also make me jealous as hell. But those that did them need to be recognized: Lou (15 miles...sub 9 pace), Gordon (you consider an 8:30 pace a "lope"? Maybe the Kenyans consider it a lope...and BTW, getting a tattoo on your "kankle" is illegal in 4 states..Larry (13 miles), PDR (17 miles in this heat), Sue (you ran as many miles yesterday than I do in a week!..knock it off!), Tall (how could you possibly run 12 miles after that 4 1/2 hour dinner). Kevin: Outstanding 5K...consistant splits, top third of field, and a gorgeous outfit... Sarge: 100 games/season is a lot...I'd say we play maybe 60-70...a guy who plays for the Georgia Classics said they play over 150...no wonder they beat our butts. In my case, as soon as our coach found out I was a runner, he moved me from 3rd base to left field...I still suck but the spectators can't see me as well. Craig: You seem to know most of the folks around here...glad you decided to re-enlist. Great outfit on your avatar...I fondly remember Payne Stewart wearing those knickers. Evanflein: Yep...bagels & P.B. rock! dg: 5 mile run after all you've been through? Can you see me bowing? Huge effort! Ribs: You mentioned old TV shows yesterday...you'll love this...we have a channel on our cable system called the Retro Channel...week-day line up includes Hawaii Five-0, Perry Mason, Get Smart, Mission Impossible, and my all-time favorite The Fugitive...David Jansen can go through an entire show, say maybe 10 words, and have you on the edge of your seat. Needless to say, my DVR gets a serious workout. Finally played golf yesterday...big mistake...managed an 80 but still hooking every drive...I'm pretty sure I wiped out 3 or 4 endangered species who were hiding in the woods. Not going to play again until tournament this week-end. Ran 4.1 miles on the hills this morning...did a disappointing 39:26 (9:37 pace), 8 seconds slower than my last time on this route even though I feel I'm getting stronger. Not racing again until October. DickyG
                  6.2 miles for me yesterday. Once again, new distance PR. Legs were pretty tired by the end and only intended to do 6, but as I do not have a Garmin (yet) I had to guess, but wanted to make sure I met my goal. Now I've checked my route online and know where to stop for an even 6. That's where I want to cap out my long runs for awhile and add a bit here and there on other runs in the week. My kids are both gone this week with DS at scout camp (DH with him till Wednesday) and DD at my sister's for the week. It has been so quiet. It seemed odd to clean the house in the morning and have it still clean by evening. I wouldn't trade the kids for a clean house anyday...but I'm just saying... Both will be home this weekend and then off for a week and a half at their grandparents. Project time for sure...I have some trim in the basement that needs reinstalling and painting after we put down a new laminate floor a few weeks ago. Then there's the flooring in the dining room that I pulled up a month or so ago. Sub-floor is not really that great of a look...I'd love hardwood in there, but holy smokes that's expensive....we'll see.
                    6 miles with T,worked it up the hills at the end...8:00 pace Holly-Folding is considered x-training on my thread...
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

6.2 miles for me yesterday. Once again, new distance PR.
                      Nice job! It's exciting to push yourself and see that you are capable of more than you thought, isn't it? Smile Gordon - I have a tatoo on my kankle, too. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow Tim, your friend is really fast. That's 1st rate for sure.
                        When ever I have ran with him..or tried to. His easy pace is around 6:00 to 6:30 pace Roll eyes

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Breger1, your last name is Reger1? Wink How come you asked over on KR if you should change your handle, but you didn't ask here? Sad DickyG, that Retro channel almost makes me wish we had cable! Oh, and the Simpsons, too - we all love that show, but don't get whatever channel its on. And don't be disappointed that your run was 8 seconds slower than last time. I recommend leaving your watch at home and just enjoying the run, that way you'll be happy instead of disappointed. Janet, congrats on your 10K distance PR! My DD is away at camp this week too, but my house is just as dirty as ever... I went for a wonderful 5.4 mile run yesterday evening, the first 3 miles with Tazzie and Ladybug. Running down the final long downhill to my house was magical - the air was cool and the sun was setting behind the ridge, lighting up the clouds.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Nice that everyone's off to a good start this week. Welcome back to Mary, and Holly those were some adorable photos you posted yesterday. Was your daughter the result of a cloning project or something? Wink I'm still doing a lot of biking, with a 22-mile ride through the Lower Huron Metroparks on Friday before heading over to AA to watch DaveinAA compete on the track in a 1000M event (details on KR). Then my DW and I rode some rail-trail miles yesterday, but cut it short due to the 20+mph wind that was kicking up. Right now I'm taking a new tack on recovering from my getting-to-be-chronic running injury, but am still on the DL as far as that is concerned. I've already written off doing my 10th Crim next month Cry, but maybe there's hope before the end of the year. Anyone else having trouble with kids finding an entry-level job out of college? My DS has been searching for months now with no luck, and I'm afraid he's getting pretty down about it. Yes, his B.S. in Political Science doesn't automatically open many doors, but at this point we'd settle for any type of full-time job with a future. It's bad enough in general right now, but of course Michigan is right at the bottom. On the other hand, I'd also worry a lot about him if he has to go too far away, out of state completely on his own. Having worked in a highly technical field all my career, I haven't been of much help to him, but it's really weighing on my DW and me lately. I hope you all are off to a good start to the working and running week!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I should probably post this in the barefoot thread. Last night we took the kids to the park. There was a nice, green painted, smooth basketball court not being used. We kicked off our sandals and did races back and forth across it and also played tag. I'm proud to say I can outrun a 6 year old! Wink Anyway, I figure I spent about 2-3 minutes total time running barefoot so I am going to convert that to about 1/4 mile. It really felt awesome and my feet seem ok today, although I can tell how it might stretch the plantar fascia too much too soon. I am wondering if I can build up slowly to 3 miles, then enter a 5K in the fall. Wouldn't that be a blast! Welcome back Mary! Handymom - that is 10K! Good job!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg.

Holly, good girl. Like DS said... Hi Mary! I was wondering where you were. It was windy, wasn't it. It felt good but the added resistance was a challenge. Perch, are those healing miles flat? I have a "Disney corner" on my usual route. .. there's a split rail fence that the birdies & bunnies love to play around. I always wonder why. once there was a deer! but about a block away. Not your typical 'deer' neighborhood. Maybe Renee needs a pace bunny. bergerbyl, one of the first things I learned after the Boomer invasion on CR was that butchering your name was how we show how much we love you. You don't want to stop that. DickyG, thanks so much. Don't know if it was worth a bow but you sure made me smile. btw.. how are you? you are going to take time to heal, yes? Thanks for the quotes. Smile. uh, Be Kind to Animals. HandyMom, wtg on your 6 miler! that's great. I think your plan sounds smart. that's what I need. a smart plan. maybe i'll hire you. No run today, did Mark Verstegen's movement prep, which is supposed to be before a run (handymom, you might like it), but i'm trying to get to know it better. happy days. 13th anniversary today. DH just brought me a double espresso & 2 kinds of chocolate.