Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 10.6.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    Tramps (20 beautiful autumn day bike miles)
    Dave (20 min on the ARC + weights at the gym)
    RunnerKSA (3.1 morning miles in nice weather)
    Quickadder (6.4 miles at 5AM, including 5 with DD in 66°, and an out-of-bed-out-the-door PR of under 7 min)
    Opus77 (EZ and fast 5 morning miles in nice mid-50s temps)
    Pfriese (11 sad miles)
    Holly (7.4 miles in 65° temps and light rain)
    Anzio (8 miles, including 3 walk w/u, 4 run/walk, and 1 walk c/d)

Falconfixer (7 pre-dawn miles in great temps at 8:30 pace + 5 lunchtime miles at 8:40)

Mike (7.2 miles, including 3.6 barking at XC kids)

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles + 16 post-work bike miles)

Deeze (6.2 morning miles with the Thursday crew)

Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)

Interesting comments yesterday about getting/being old. Thanks, Tramps, for posting the WSJ article that Marj linked to because I couldn’t open it. Several of us seem to have had similar reactions to that chart and its 'surplus.' It seems pretty clear that aging is as much a state of mind as a condition of body. It is interesting how we react to how other people address/treat us as we get older. I keep telling people to call me Jay, not ‘Sir,’ but they don’t listen. Interesting perspective, Opus77, about scrolling down further and further to find our birth years.

My condolences to you and your brother’s family on his passing, Pfriese. Its never easy.

Henrun, it seems you just have to accept the 18:20 time for your last 5K!

It’s very exciting to read about Holly’s and Evanflein’s coming meet up at Steamtown. Drive safely, and not too fast, Holly…

Anzio, post your workouts any way you want, but please explain the shortcuts, at least the first time. You’re a good man for helping your DW with her PR attempt in Portland this weekend, especially with having an ‘issue’. Good luck to you both.

Welcome Falconfixer! Seems like there might be a good story behind your screen name.

On Wednesday night, I slept (or didn't) like TwoCat did (or didn't), but didn't solve any problems. Last night, I slept well, and even woke up 7 minutes late this morning. Even though I wasn't quite as quick out the door as Quickadder, there was still time for a good 6.5 mile RW workout in 55°, and under the full 'Hunter' moon. I fiddled with my racewalking technique this morning, and may have found something that will temporarily counteract some of my age-related slow-down. Fun stuff!

I'm wishing fleet feet, tailwinds, and big grins to all the folks racing this weekend! Meanwhile, have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

I think the tricky part about the “old” discussion is that we often conflate very different things:

1. The biological reality of aging and its impact (even in the best of circumstances)
      2. Our physical response to aging (preventative care, finding ways to stay active and as healthy as possible, etc.)
      3. Our psycho-social response to aging (attitude, humor, finding camaraderie, etc. ) (BTW, the internet can be a real asset for seniors to overcome social isolation and their use of online social media has exploded in recent years, though it is still low among older seniors.)
      4. The broader social-cultural reaction to aging (negative stereotypes)

There’s nothing we can do about #1, a lot we can do about #2 and #3, and a little we can do to chip away at #4 (largely by what we do in #2 and #3).

We have a version of this stuck on our fridge.

It’s great to see the “new to us” folks trickling in.  Jump in, don’t be shy.  Welcome!

Paul—condolences regarding your brother’s passing.  That’s tough.

Dave—those software launches sound like a nightmare. Best of luck with that.

Quick—I didn’t know there was an over 60’s forum here either!  (We old folks don’t get out much. )

Opus—I’m a very similar age and circumstance.  Athritis and degenerative meniscus tears diagnoses this summer, death of friends, considering early retirement (see below).

Why do I get the feeling that Falconfixer and Opus are/were in similar lines of business?

Spa—I always love that quote. So true.

(((Holly)))

Anzlo—Yeah, Coastwalker (Jay) is our local hero posting those summaries. It’s great that you’re supporting your wife’s marathon effort!  Good luck.

Catwhoorg—I’ve been known to utter Monty Python from time to time.  (“I’m not quite dead, yet.”  “I’m feeling better…”  etc.) Love that movie.

2cat-- yeah, “surplus” is an unfortunate term demographers use.  Maybe it should be “extra!” or “bonus!”

The big news in our household is that we’ve decided to take Tribee’s (my wife, for new folks) early-retirement buy-out offer. This is the day she needs to turn in the paperwork and she’s all     We were on the fence since it involves a reduced pension benefit and I lose out on being on her health insurance (I’m self-employed and that’s a biggie).  But in the end we decided the risks were worth the potential rewards.  Life’s short and all that. Gulp.

Oh, and I did a 25 minute 4:1 run/walk. (See it's all about the running.) 

Be safe. Be kind.

3.1 miles starting in the dark before my flight to Philadelphia.  Just trying to get some miles in for now until the memory of the marathon fades from my body and mind!   

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

My son turns 1 today.

He is going to keep me young at heart (but feeling old and tired) for many years to come.

(picture from last weekend)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

Good morning Friends! I'm doing lots of praying, vitamin C and essential oils. I have a half marathon on Sunday and I have a respiratory virus. Uck! This is a bucket list race for me. I have friends racing it and I have a motel booked. Booking a motel is big because I usually do races where I can drive that morning. All considered and the price paid... I really want to run this race healthy. I have a chance of placing in my age group. Just turned 60.

If it were you... would you just rest and try to get over respiratory or would you run a few miles today or tomorrow?

Anyone here running the Prairie Fire in Wichita Kansas on Sunday?

CW - You are a great poster... good for you for building community. About getting older... we aren't an age, we are a spirit and our bodies are just a vehicle!! IMO.

TRAMPS - I couldn't agree more with what you've said about aging!! Really great and thoughtful post.

RUNKSA - Congrats on your marathon!!

CAT - Happy Birthday to your Son!!

Blessings All, Spunky

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, masters!!  I'm really glad it's Friday, even if I have two meetings this afternoon.  Can't wait for the WEEKEND!!!  Speaking of getting old, I'm getting too old to be staying up so late for chorus and quartet.  Not that the lack of sleep is going to stop me ... 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Tramps

Oh, BTW, sometimes the old folks can still get it done.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Enjoy your meetup race Erika and Holly! I hope your DH isn't too much of a PITA.  On the rare occasions when I travel somewhere for a race - even a road trip of a couple hrs, I enjoy that solitary time.

Will get in a run after work today (no practices on Fridays) and then I'm up bright and early tomorrow morning for a trip also. Actually, no brightness involved since I'll be getting up at 3:15 a.m. and out the door by 4:00 or so. ughhh. 

Cute picture of your 1 year old! So hard to believe that a member of this group has a pre-toddler. Did anyone check your ID at the door? 

Have a great day all!  Probably won't be posting too terribly much while I'm travelling since posting on RA is a bit of a chore on a phone. 

Tammy

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

TAMMY - Enjoy your travel time.

Hello Masters!  I'm so glad I found this place.  Even though I am a lone wolf runner (as Metalman describes himself), I very much enjoy this type of interaction with like minded souls.  I was actually feeling real depression when my "running club" of 10 years got shut down last week.  Thanks for welcoming us aboard everyone!  I find that a forum keeps me motivated to run, as I don't want to admit being a slacker in front of my virtual friends.

Ran consecutive days for the first time in months.  I've tried to go every other day while the PF fades away.  However, woke up, no heel pain , saw a temp of 55 and knew I had to get outside and enjoy a run.  Did 5 miles with 1 mile warm up, 3 miles at 10K pace (7:55), and 1 mile cool down.  I (fingers crossed) think I've turned the corner on this PF battle.

Metal - great to see you aboard!

Falconfixer - same to you!  I might finally be ready for a run with you in the next few weeks, as long as you can slack off for a mere 6 or so easy, ha ha.

Tramps - you are correct.  Falcon and I are both USAF (I'm retired, he's still in).  I was a pilot, he was a maintenance officer, or as I'm sure he will tell you - I broke them, he fixed them.  That's great news about the buyout and the chance to retire early.  Exciting, but also scary I'm sure.  I laid awake last night for about 2 hours going through all of the possibilities if my job is not renewed (I find out in a month or so).  DW is already retired, though no pension as she changed school systems multiple times as the USAF moved us around the country. So we'd have to watch things if we want to both retire before we can access retirement funds and SS.  We want to jump in our RV and see the country and now may be the time to do it while we're still reasonably healthy,  As you said, life's short.  Love the fridge magnet!

coastwalker - thank you for posting the summary every day!

Henrun - great 5k "PR"!

catwhoorg - cute!  Funny comment about the affect of young kids on you.  I will have a 30 year old (and a 28 year old) as of Monday. We had our kids young.  They still wore us out!   My very best friend had a daughter very late in life and says the same thing you did.  Either way, they bring so much joy (and pain and frustration at times) into our lives, that it's worth it.

Spunky - Hi!  Bummer about the illness.  I hope it ebbs enough for you to kick butt.  Good luck!

Twocat - hope the programming issue gets solved so you can sleep.

Ok, I see many work e-mails popping up on the task bar.  I can't ignore them any more.  Better get going.  Birthday dinner for DS and his GF tonight and am taking him to opening night for the Hurricanes (NHL) tomorrow night as a gift.

Have a good day all!

Paul, so sorry to hear about your brother. It must be tough losing someone close to you like that.

Tramps, I never actually feel old in this group, or at least until I log on and see someone posting about having a one-year-old! But Happy Birthday in any case to your son, catwhoorg!

I also tend to forget that others in the group are getting older as well. I can remember when Holly first joined the CR Masters group and her DD was a little kid. And now she's a teenager! (But isn't Holly still in her early 40s?)

Dreary day here and it has been a long time since I went to the gym, so that's what I did this morning. I expect a few sore muscles tomorrow, but nothing that will keep me from running.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Anzlo

Pfriese - So sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Catwhoorg - Really cute picture, happy birthday to your son.

Opus - Really nice 3 mile workout, great pace.

My workout this morning was ... (7 miles: 2 walk warm-up, 4 run/walk, 1 walk cool-down)

The 4 run/walk this AM was to test pace matching for my wife and it worked out well enough.  I will be a little like a yo-yo running behind her, walking with her periodically to see if she needs something, and then back to being a yo-yo ... which she thinks I am anyway.  In regards to the aging discussion I think we age in different ways depending on our genetic disposition.  On the outside I don't really look my age but still suffer with other normal aging afflictions.  Meanwhile i have neighbors that look seriously old and yet they suffer really mild age afflictions.  What I am certain is true for everybody is ... staying active matters, a lot.

Have a great upcoming weekend folks !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

...Life has a Way of Messing Up a Perfectly Good Work-Out Schedule.......

as this

week has proved

===========

50-min RC with trailboots

.............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

spacityrunner

If it were you... would you just rest and try to get over respiratory or would you run a few miles today or tomorrow?

Spunky, I do not run for time or award...so I would rest and "save" myself for the race.  Others that follow more detailed training plan might think differently.

Trails Rock!

pfriese

A new pair of shoes always makes for a good run. A bit muggy but still nice for an easy 11 mile run around town.

Paul